• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

The single will be announced within the next 3 weeks and will have its debut performance at the VMAs.

And apparently, She'll be debuting new songs at the iHeartRadio Music Festiva(Sept 19th)!

tumblr_n96w6otvP31rkwn98o1_500.jpg

The punch is imminent.

ioKGPUgFjnQjO.gif

Ladies and gents: Erykah Badu slays. You should already know this. If you haven't heard Mama's Gun.... I weep for you. Its everything. Do yourself a solid and get into it.

iTxZGgvJ4QkIc.jpg

1. "Penitentiary Philosophy"
2. "Didn't Cha Know?"
3. "My Life"
4. "...& On"
5. "Cleva"
6. "Hey Sugah"
7. "Booty"
8. "Kiss Me on My Neck (Hesi)"
9. "A.D. 2000"
10. "Orange Moon"
11. "In Love with You"
12. "Bag Lady"
13. "Time's a Wastin"
14. "Green Eyes"

Bonus:
ib1SvsUVIGWt2j.jpg

"Back in the Day (Puff)"
"I Want You"
"Danger"
"Love of My Life"

Extras:
"The Healer"
"Honey"
"Next Lifetime"

-----------------------------
Also a slayer is Jill Scott. But I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Her debut was the business. Her live album was the business. Her second album is the business. Her third album was... different. lol. And her fourth was ... interesting. But her debut is what I'm here to celebrate.
ip5Kf4VVxj8Eu.jpg

"Jilltro"
"Do You Remember"
"Exclusively"
"Gettin' in the Way"
"A Long Walk"
"I Think It's Better"
"He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat)"
"It's Love"
"The Way"
"Honey Molasses"
"Love Rain"
"The Roots (Interlude)"
"Slowly Surely"
"One Is the Magic #"
"Watching Me"
"Brotha"
"Show Me"
"Try"/"Love Rain"

Bonus:
ibp6wgny6Kb4uj.jpg

"Not Like Crazy"
"Bedda at Home" (Acoustic Version)
ib1b3pOakRl4M.jpg

"The Real Thing"
"Come See Me"
"Crown Royal"
"My Love"
"Insomnia
ibn7xe9IXDrofN.jpg

"So in Love"
"Le BOOM Vent Suite"
"So Gone (What My Mind Says)"

---------------------------------------
Like rock music?
Probably not!
Like video game music?
Probably not!
Then you'll love the Minibosses. The Minibosses take classic (8-bit) video game songs and rock them out. It, of course, slays. Get into it.
ibncOFAhX7t7vz.jpg

Castlevania
Ninja Gaiden
Double Dragon
Super Mario Bros 2
Ikari Warriors
Blaster Master/Contra
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Kid Icarus
Mega Man 2
Metroid

royalan

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Dear Azealia Banks:

I wish I could start this off with Tyra Banks’ “WE WERE ROOTING FOR YOU! WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!” Fact is, most people weren’t rooting for you because you alienated the absolute hell out of the general public over and over again with your Twitter tirades and the numerous beefs with your peers they inspired.

For a millisecond, you were the wet dream for those of us longing to see you capitalize on Nicki Minaj kicking the door back open for female rappers. Unfortunately, it didn’t take you long to basically become the Crypt Keeper of said dreams.

Oh, sis. Didn’t we almost have it all?

Now, you’re probably still on a high from being released by your former label, Universal Music. You’ve been out here tweeting “I’S IS FREE!!!!!” and comparing yourself to Miss Celie. I don’t know you’re so giddy, though. All this has done is make certain that’ll even take longer for you to release a full-fledged album. That is, if you ever do. Not to mention, your label-less life lends further credence to the theory that you’re basically Foxy Brown without the hits. (Royalan Note: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)

It makes me so sad that we’ll probably never catch you at the hot spot. Even sadder is that even if you kept the deal with Universal and dropped an album (finally) featuring you and Jesus’ remake of “The Whisper Song,” it’d still only get nominal attention, because again, so many people curse the day you were allowed Internet access.

To be fair, you have been correct in your assessment that if you were a female rapper apart of a male-dominated crew as opposed to a lone horse, you probably wouldn’t face half of the disrespect you’ve faced at some of your male rapping peers. However, whereas T.I. could’ve minded his business the first time you (rightly) took shots at Iggy Azalea for being a phony, you’ve kept the bickering going – most recently taking an unnecessary shot at his wife.

Speaking of unnecessary, here's a breakdown of your feuds:

Kanye West
Nicki Minaj
Pharrell
Lady Gaga
Kreayshawn
Dominique Young Unique
Lil’ Kim
Jim Jones
Angel Haze
Perez Hilton
Diplo
Rita Ora
Lily Allen
A$AP Rocky

Some of these people I wouldn’t donate saliva to in a five-alarm fire and a few came for you first as opposed to the other way around. Two things, however: You don’t always have to go tit-for-tat with someone (beloved), and somewhere along the way, you should’ve been a little more self-aware and concluded that if people think you’re argumentative, perhaps you’ve could given your password to a publicist who wants to earn their paycheck.

In the past, I’ve defended you from accusations that you’re homophobic given you yourself are a bisexual woman, who if anything, took “in house” drama to a space where most wouldn’t get it.

Even so, you have had a knack for attacking men by calling them soft – which is ironic coming from a person who has complained about sexism.

So let’s summarize: You fight too damn much online. You got in trouble for using a gay slur. You beefed with management and top recording artists and hit making producers. This is the recipe for a gumbo of failure. Or better yet, this is like spitting in God’s face and then praying for $10.

It’s all a pity because your 1991 EP is fantastic and your Fantasea mixtape was a very nice teaser for that album we still haven't gotten. But again, the only folks who care to listen are those who have been committed to you –- and even many of them are ready to give it up, turn it loose, too.

I was one of the people cheering you on the sidelines, but I’ve since decided to occupy my time waiting for a thing more likely to happen than you ever becoming the big star you should already be: Joseline Hernandez performing at the inauguration of the first gay and agnostic Negro president.

I’m hopeful that maybe, just maybe, you’ll manage to somehow learn from your mistakes and sign with some other label who can help restore your image. I’m doubtful given you seem to still be reckless, self-destructive, and someone who doesn’t know when to quit.

If anything, you’re the first of many recording artists who will fall victim to their social media feeds. We’ll always have “212,” though. I’m sure that’s good enough to get you an episode of Unsung.

Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-...t-have-it-all-azaelia-banks-403#ixzz38Lcrcpur
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

Where the lie at tho?

ibulTed9sHQ5y.gif

that article didn't lie. the sooner azealia drops her shit album and the public rightly ignores it, the sooner everyone can get on with their lives without that shrill maniac embarrassing herself on twitter every damn day. azealia banks is the worst.

Stefan™;122382022 said:
The single will be announced within the next 3 weeks and will have its debut performance at the VMAs.

And apparently, She'll be debuting new songs at the iHeartRadio Music Festiva(Sept 19th)!

tumblr_n96w6otvP31rkwn98o1_500.jpg

The punch is imminent.

ioKGPUgFjnQjO.gif

I'm quivering

Mumei

You better give promo to Imminent Music Supernova JoJo! 😍

Jojo <3

I have a feeling she'll have a Beyoncé or JoJo-like upward trajectory. In other words, some bad habits, but nothing so dire that the overall strength of her musicality can't overcome.

No one will ever experience a Sohyang-like upward trajectory, however. It is spoken.

She's actually only two years younger than Jojo, come to think of it. I wish her voice had a bit... more to it. I like what she does with it, but the voice itself just isn't that interesting. Oh, well.

She's actually only two years younger than Jojo, come to think of it. I wish her voice had a bit... more to it. I like what she does with it, but the voice itself just isn't that interesting. Oh, well.
Really? That's disappointing.

I thought she was some tween amateur waiting to blossom, but she's already old enough to consume alcohol in a DVDA film.

Tori Kelly, ja?

There's no doubt that she's incredibly talented, even when she was 11 years old. But I do agree that there's something about her voice that doesn't sit well with me. Her riffs agility are unreal, but there's a.. Shallowness to her voice. There's not much richness and depth to it, IMO o___o.

Props to her tho. To be able to sing a song off of Christina's Stripped album like THAT is pretty commendable :3

also her personality irritates me WAY less than Ariana's oop.
o____o

Mumei

I did enjoy that riff. But I agree with you on her voice lacking that something.

Not all singers are born with that oomph!

ibulTed9sHQ5y.gif

I'm too tired to be shady, so I agree.

Tori Kelly, ja?

There's no doubt that she's incredibly talented, even when she was 11 years old. But I do agree that there's something about her voice that doesn't sit well with me. Her riffs agility are unreal, but there's a.. Shallowness to her voice. There's not much richness and depth to it, IMO o___o.

Props to her tho. To be able to sing a song off of Christina's Stripped album like THAT is pretty commendable :3

also her personality irritates me WAY less than Ariana's oop.
o____o

That is precisely the issue. It's the same issue I have with Ariana, actually.

I'm too tired to be shady, so I agree.

That is precisely the issue. It's the same issue I have with Ariana, actually.

Yep, me too!! <3 That's why I also find it weird that she's constantly compared to Mariah Carey just because of her range.

Yes, she has an amazing range, but she lacks that volume and fullness in her voice that Mariah had, in my opinion o__o.

I've been singing and training for years, but I don't really know if that depth is something singers can truly work on improving, or if it's just the natural tonality and timbre in their voice :(. I feel like it might be more "nature" rather than "nurture", though!

The Flop

Banned
POPGAF things I'm into at the moment!

1. I still cannot stop bopping/stanning/wanting to karaoke this JAM
2. I CANT at last nights RHONY finale and LEGATE!

tumblr_n8u4rtPh7S1ql5yr7o3_500.gif

tumblr_n8u4rtPh7S1ql5yr7o2_500.gif

tumblr_n8u4rtPh7S1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

3. I AM HERE for New Taytay! I wonder what year of the diary she's using for this album though?
tumblr_n8g0fuRYNC1rfduvxo1_400.gif

4. I still can't at this BOP by my gals Fifth Harmony and their incoming slayage!

Also they have another song out now that is a qyote ballad.

5. What does everyone think the next Era's of Adele and Lorde will be like?

6. I can't at me bopping to Ariana Grande in the car and not caring a thing when others stare.

Cosmo-Kramer-Laughing-in-Car-Seinfeld.gif

7. When will the Goddess hit with R8. I needed that shit like 2 months ago. I'm starting to get withdrawal, save me RIH RIH

2qji13tjpg-1.gif

8. I'm also enjoying the Destiny Beta on my
Xbox One

Yep, me too!! <3 That's why I also find it weird that she's constantly compared to Mariah Carey just because of her range.

Yes, she has an amazing range, but she lacks that volume and fullness in her voice that Mariah had, in my opinion o__o.

I've been singing and training for years, but I don't really know if that depth is something singers can truly work on improving, or if it's just the natural tonality and timbre in their voice :(. I feel like it might be more "nature" rather than "nurture", though!
I can't speak to the way it feels in the throat as well as you could, but I think it's mostly nature - and for some singers, age, health issues, or bad habits introduce a huskiness that can make a voice sound "fuller" somewhat. Mariah's voice took on a weightiness around her Music Box era, for instance, that slowly turned into a husky tone that was most pleasing in 2002-2003.

Beyoncé's voice in Destiny's Child (final album aside) and her debut solo era was quite shrill and thin to my ears. She's done an anti-Xtina and worked up her technique to an incredibly high level. She kind of grew into a fuller voice because of what she learned from her experience in Dreamgirls*, even though she's still no Whitney or Mariah.

I can't think of any other singers whose voices "embiggened" without the use of steroids (hi Kelly Clarkson) or Camel cigarettes, though.

*Jennifer Hudson wasn't taking any notes.

I can't speak to the way it feels in the throat as well as you could, but I think it's mostly nature - and for some singers, age, health issues, or bad habits introduce a huskiness that can make a voice sound "fuller" somewhat. Mariah's voice took on a weightiness around her Music Box era, for instance, that slowly turned into a husky tone that was most pleasing in 2002-2003.

Beyoncé's voice in Destiny's Child (final album aside) and her debut solo era was quite shrill and thin to my ears. She's done an anti-Xtina and worked up her technique to an incredibly high level. She kind of grew into a fuller voice because of what she learned from her experience in Dreamgirls*, even though she's still no Whitney or Mariah.

I can't think of any other singers whose voices "embiggened" without the use of steroids (hi Kelly Clarkson) or Camel cigarettes, though.

*Jennifer Hudson wasn't taking any notes.

Bowing down to all the truth in this post tbh. <3

I think Mariah's increasing huskiness also has to do with the fact that she's reported multiple times that she's had vocal nodules since she was a kid. Depending on the size and shape of these, and how they resonate, I can definitely believe her story on that one o_o!

I never would have even considered that Bey did an "anti-Xtina" LOL! It's actually kinda true. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Xtina but her voice is definitely not what it used to be ;____;. I guess it happens with years of performing, though. Especially because I believe she said she started her career without any formal voice training.

Did Kelly Clarkson use vocal steroids?! I had no idea!! LOLL! I know she was another who also developed nodules after a while.

royalan

I was gonna ask...

BlueBadger

You've been here long enough, so the question must be posed...

How do you feel about The Legend

The Voice of Our Generation

The Original Queen of Durrty

Christina Maria Aguilera?

iy4UG5fxhIKFp.gif

Can I just say that I'm here for Rob's posts on albums everyone should be listening? I don't post a lot here since I guess my tastes tend to slide towards R&B rather than Pop but still I commend you for tying to inform the masses.

large.gif

cory64

I feel a Madonna binge coming on.

I still remember watching the premiere of the Music video on TRL almost exactly 14 years ago. Very hot day. It was everything.

xaosslug

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Where the lie at tho?

ibulTed9sHQ5y.gif

all she needs is some competent PR and a label that gives a damn. I mean now that Iggy's made female rappers a 'thing' again (somewhat) I do think Banks will get a new label and some coins behind her... the image she has right now is PRIME for the game. Once her image gets filtered and spun juuuust right... I think she can still happen as long as her material stands up.

welcome, sis!!

rTv0sC6.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This Autumn is going to be a mess and I'm going to love it.
May Madonna and Adele rule supreme tbh

My friend and I went on a Janet Jackson music video binge session, and uhhhh...

Are we going to pretend that Britney's entire LIFE hasn't been completely lifted from Janet's own portfolio and performance style? I mean speaking just visually... the excess of fedora-wear with a bra or crop top and blue jeans, the excess of hallway walking with actresses playing their girfriends, the excessive dance breaks with an army of male dancers serenading them (with the inevitable turn to the camera while walking away, i.e. the "I'm out, cunts"), the excess of eyefucking the camera with the fakest smiles in the history of the medium, the excessive lip syncing during high energy pop-and-lock performances, both lifted from Michael Jackson... not to mention Britney's "Am I fuckable???" vocals throughout the 2000s were obviously inspired by Janet's own "Please stop fucking me, Jermaine" whisps of humanoid plight that make my eyes roll so intensely that my BRAIN starts to sting.

Janet Jackson is an icon, not my icon but one nontheless... but it's obvious to me that Britney Spears' entire career life has simply been a case study in taking all of Janet Jackson's achievements and aesthetics, switching them to white mode, adding blondeness, and seeing what happens.

You're exactly right, which is why it's so strange that people keep comparing Britney to Madonna.

Any female that achieves a great deal of success is going to be compared to Madonna (Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga come to mind too), and it showcases how much disrespect the mainstream has towards Madonna's legacy. It seems like they've just devolved her career achievements into "successful person with vagina," as if any of the above women have done anything remotely aligned with Madonna's career shifts, let alone come CLOSE to replicating Madonna's genius and sustained success.

Madonna is her own beast, and no one has EVER or WILL ever come close to playing the game like she has. Britney's self-inflicted career suicide like... 5 years after her debut is enough to suggest that she's not in Madonna's league. Beyonce is the only one (so far) who has sustained a successful career for over a decade, but she's done so with safer career choices, and hardly any visual transformations. She's safe and likable enough to stay on mainstream's good side all these years, and she's held on to her winnings the whole way through to become the juggernaut she is now. Rihanna shares Madonna's old affinity for self-transformation, though Rihanna's never come close to capturing the zeitgeist like Madonna has done time and time again. I suppose Gaga's taken the same "hard choices" that Madonna's taken but not really in a challenging, provocative way that's pissed people off... but more like adding to what she's done before and annoying the public with the excess. Very different reaction. We'll see how Gaga builds and sustains her career before comparing her to Madonna, but until then, there will only be one. And nothing's more disrespectful to Madonna than having the nerve to suggest that Britney Fucking Spears is at her caliber.

No one remembers Janet Jackson except for fomos while Britney remains the princess of pop with a better discography

Janet Jackson has had a longer, more fruitful career, plus Britney never had the inconvenience of competing head-to-head with Madonna and Mariah Carey for a decade-plus. The early 2000s was a pretty open field in the "pop diva" space.

Nemesis_

Janet Jackson has had a longer, more fruitful career, plus Britney never had the inconvenience of competing head-to-head with Madonna and Mariah Carey for a decade-plus. The early 2000s was a pretty open field in the "pop diva" space.

I would possibly argue that Janet provided a much more different kind of sound than her contemporaries did, at least that's what I got from listening to The Velvet Rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom