• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
I'm skipping PWvPL because it looks like
AOVXysh.jpg
and I heard it kinda sucks and the Ace Attorney series doesn't need to go any lower in my book after Dual Destinies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I do have love for In The Zone. It has the craftsmanship of Blackout

I've heard a lot of praise for Blackout and people comparing it to In the Zone (Knee's magnum opus tbh), I think I've only ever heard the lead single so maybe it's time I give it a spin myself! :D

AOVXysh.jpg
and I heard it kinda sucks and the Ace Attorney series doesn't need to go any lower in my book after Dual Destinies.
emoticon-poo_.gif

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Stefan™;122223832 said:
enigmatic_alex44
Whenever a game uses "middleware,"
I expect mediocrity.
Just see how poor TLOU looks.

j1hRLKnugwm6V.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this tag is a curse!!!!!! XD FOR THE RECORD my comment ended @ mediocrity, I never said the part about TLOU! Whatever mischievous mod gave me that tag added that part in LOL, and I wasn't even in the TLOU thread, I was in the TEKKEN 7 thread FUMING about it using Unreal Engine 4 instead of Namco's own engine!
107.gif

Now babies, me and my husband (Lenny Kravitz) are been estranged. Seewhathadhappenedwas, in 1996 (I was 20, FAAAR younger than the good sis Mumei is now,) and this man said to me, "Gonna take you in the room suga'. Lock you up and love for days. We gonna be rockin, baby. Till the cops come knockin." And I was like, oh indeed. I saw his visage and was in lust. Boo was fine as hell. He had this big fluffy afro. Ch... Sex appeal was off the charts, and to top it off, boo had vocals for days. His first album was my [E V E R Y T H I N G]. Now, Lenny was still my man and all, cause it doesn't hurt to look. But let me tell you, album number two... I had to go call the police, and go call the governor. Boo was bringing the trouble y'all. I HAD to let Lenny go.

This sophomore album is the thing of LEGENDS and I was here for it. Lock, stock, and barrel. I know y'all aren't here for men.
(cuz ain't nobody hittin it right, yet)
But, IMHO, there is nothing better in THIS world than a man who can croon you out of your pants. Maxwell and Stuart Matthewman (from the band Sade) put together this here album, and they did the damn thing.

Roy will concur
(but don't let his endorsement push you away)
that Embrya, is the business, and you probably are, in fact, not ready.

Boys, I present to you, Maxwell.

i39ilB52lhwRD.jpg

0. "Gestation: Mythos" (You had to rewind track 1 to get this one. Ain't nobody got time for that.)
1. "Everwanting: To Want You to Want"
2. "I'm You: You Are Me and We Are You (Pt. Me & You)"
3. "Luxury: Cococure"
4. "Drowndeep: Hula" #EVERYTHING
5. "Matrimony: Maybe You"
6. "Arroz con pollo"
7. "Know These Things: Shouldn't You" #EVERYTHING
8. "Submerge: Til We Become the Sun" #EVERYTHING
9. "Gravity: Pushing to Pull"
10. "Eachhoureachsecondeachminuteeachday: Of My Life"
11. "Embrya"

Like I said.. Boo's first album was the business too, I won't include the whole thing but here's some of my faves.
inh5WrRu6llT5.jpg

"Welcome"
"Sumthin' Sumthin'"
"Sumthin' Sumthin'" (from the Love Jones Soundtrack)
"Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)"
"Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)" (from the MTV Unplugged album)
"...Til the Cops Come Knockin'"

His third album "Now" was a bit... meh.. But had a couple jems:
iTjG8NQAUi3QS.jpg

"Silently"
"Symptom Unknown"

Max took some time off between 3 and 4. But he came back all mannish and ready to work. "BLACKsummers'night" slayed appropriately. Boo is a grown man now. YAAAAS!
I miss the hair tho!
itJnR29gAHQtL.jpg

Before I link the first song, chirrens, be ye warned. "Stop The World" is without a single, solitary, shadow of a doubt - EVERYTHING - and you are, in fact, NOT READY. Proceed at your own risk! When I listening to the album for the first time, I got to this song and stayed on this song for the rest of the night. In fact, I didn't finish listening to the rest of the album for a few days.
"Stoptheworld"
"Fistfuloftears"
-------------------------------------

1996 also gave me my second favorite album today. Me'shell Ndegeocello came to my attention through a little song called, "Dred Loc." "Dred Loc" slayed and because she was signed to Madonna's label, I kept an ear out for her. By the time her second album was about to drop she released her "controversial" first single entitled "Leviticus: Faggot" and needless to say I was perched.

I remember when the album was released our car was broken, so me and moms hopped on the bus and went to the record store. After it was purchased we went to chill at the park and listened to the album courtesy of my discman with a headphone splitter. The album slayed. We went back to the record store and she got a copy too and the rest is history.

Me'shell is a multi-instrumentalist, but her primary weapon is the bass. She's a singer and songwriter. She is a Prince stan.
(though Prince shades her for being lesbianish)
She just all around slays.

Ladies and gents, Peace Beyond Passion:
i2tkqD9A2UASM.jpg

"The Womb"
"The Way" #EVERYTHING
"Deuteronomy: N
igge
rman" #EVERYTHING

"Ecclesiastes: Free My Heart" #EVERYTHING
"Leviticus: Faggot" #EVERYTHING
"Mary Magdalene" #YesGawdNessa
"God Shiva"
"Who Is He (And What Is He to You)?" #EVERYTHING
"Stay"
"Bittersweet"
"A Tear and a Smile"
"Make Me Wanna Holler"

Some woman broke poor Me'shell's heart, and inspired "Bitter." I want to shake that woman's hand. "Bitter" depressingly slays.
iDlVyXjms2shy.jpg

"Fool of Me" #WhyLord? :(
"Faithful" #NoJesus :(
"Wasted Time" #TheFeels :(

2003's Comfort Woman found Me'shell in better spirits, and still slaying!
ibqH0B7r5zL7h.jpg

"Love Song, No. 1"
"Liliquoi Moon"

Let me stop before I go through her whole discography. But rest assured, Me'shell doesn't play games.

okay okay... just a couple more songs:
"Relief: A Stripper Classic" #YesMaam!
"Aquarium" Featuring Sabina Sciubba #Mmhmm
"Dred Loc"
"Dead Nigga Blvd., Pt. 1"
"Outside Your Door" If "Outside Your Door" sounds familiar, it's because Brian McKnight "sampled" it for his hit "Anytime."

Trigger

Yes come back to her!
It's been nearly a year since ATM Jam (where has that year gone tbh), it is time to forget that hiccup and open your arms
and your anuses
to her impending slayage
iyTwT3IGBOpbV.gif

She's coming and not even Alpecin™ will be able to restore the damage done from all the follicles she shall snatch

I do miss ha.

Cynosure

The entertaining bloodbath a few pages back plus a trip through my closet today dredged up an old memory for me.... I found Britney's "In The Zone" in one of my storage boxes, and I remember it now like an old suppressed memory, that was the era when I was becoming a big fan of hers (before it all went downhill with her head-shaving-attacking-peasants-at-the-gas-station-with-an-umbrella-meltdown era)

220px-In_the_Zone.png

ibzegnM7FxXuIm.gif

popgaf is a Broken Spearit stanning-free zone
None of us stan for that ugly pathetic disgrace here
5b373a2e.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
So I listened to that Banks girl. Her only good song is Drowning.

Whoever said she was better than Lana can take that idea and put it in the nearest waste receptacle.

ro%25C3%25A7a.gif

royalan

Whoever said she was better than Lana can take that idea and put it in the nearest waste receptacle.

ro%25C3%25A7a.gif

She's not as versatile as early Lana. "Born To Die" Lana (i.e. when she's trying) shits on Banks.

But Banks' general moodiness and urban delivery shits on Ultraviolence-era Lazy One-Note Lana. If for no other reason than she doesn't drown every freaking track in vocal filters.

Nemesis_

Can you believe that the video was directed by Luc Besson? :SSSSS

ummmm really, jesus. Imagine the disappointment if you heard a new Madonna video was coming directed by Luc Besson and you got......that

Nobody Knows Me is one of my favorites from the album I think. That and Die Another Day.

Hollywood is only redeemable for the iconic VMAs performance tbh. The Cholaguilera era was everything :3

Yeah, I don't mind that specific remix of Hollywood (I think it's Stuart Price?) but yeah, I don't know how to say it but the whole album just seems shallowly controversial. I totally get what she was going for but I just think it fell flat.

The associated tour (which I did a mini-review of a very long time ago) was much more effective in communicating her message / concept, I reckon.

also I made so many GIFs for those reviews, and this one stands out

wVBbT.gif

That post also links to my other reviews of the Drowned World, Blonde Ambition and Girlie Show tour too. The first two were so awful I couldn't will myself to write anything about them once I was done with them.

royalan

ev8n711.jpg

6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif

LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT!
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif

A few months ago (but it's only really been discovered recently) this was posted on the Instagram account of production group, the Common Kings:

2sqoaMS.jpg

Who's name is that near the top? That's right bitches. Bow Down.

However, to truly understand what is so significant, you need to ignore the Common Kings. The real notable name here is Harmony Samuels. Who is he? An Urban-Pop producer. You can find his resume here, but here are the notable things he's produced:

Brandy - Two Eleven
Without You

Sevyn Streeter
I Like It (love the production on this)

Fantasia - Side Effects of You

Lose to Win
Without Me (feat. Kelly Rowland and Missy Elliot)
(sidenote: fuck the haters--Fantasia may be dumb as bricks but BITCH STAYS making good R&B albums. Love both of these songs. YAAAAAASSS)

ARIANA GRANDE - Yours Truly
THE WAY
Right There
Piano
Almost is Never Enough
Better Left Unsaid

What does this tell you? Harmony Sameuls is an experienced producer who specializes in music that is decidedly Urban with just the right amount of Pop flair and just a dash of 90s nostalgia.

In other words: WE ARE GETTING DEBUTINA TEAS THIS ERA. YAAAAS BITCHES YOU ARE NOT READY

The closest I EVER came to stanning Ariana Grande was during her debut era. She had a special brand (read: a Mariah brand) that really took you back to that innocent, 90s era of Sweetheart Pop/R&B. Ariana's production especially took you back to that time without trying too hard to hit you over the head with its nostalgic elements. This, almost to T, describes Christina's debut era. Lighthearted and Pop, but grounded with an Urban sensibility that allowed her to appeal to both audiences in a way that Britney wouldn't until "Slave 4 U". Harmony Samuels' production would be right at home with songs like "Jesus in a Bottle" and "Come On Over (All I Want is Your Wig)". Harmony's Urban ear would also guarantee we get tracks in the spirit of Xtina's lesser-known urban gems from her debut like "So Emotional" and "Love for all Seasons". Basically, it's a match made in heaven.

In Short: GET YOUR SCALPS GREASED AND READY. THE LEGEND IS COMING.

TJAYB8I.gif

Oh, and he's working with Jojo and JHud. That's exciting too.

Aguila

#ICONIC
She's not as versatile as early Lana. "Born To Die" Lana (i.e. when she's trying) shits on Banks.

But Banks' general moodiness and urban delivery shits on Ultraviolence-era Lazy One-Note Lana. If for no other reason than she doesn't drown every freaking track in vocal filters.

One-note is exactly how I would describe Banks.

I think UV has some of Lana's most vocally dynamic songs (Cruel World, Brooklyn Baby, FMWTTT), but if you're talking about studio effects, I guess I see what you're saying >_>

Did you know that Ultraviolence was recorded live tho. Maybe that's why you hear her sounding so flat.

Auerbach recalls how working with Del Rey resolved every criticism he’d heard about her. “From how great the songs were to how confident she is as a musician to her fucking singing every song live, with a handheld microphone and a seven-piece band,” he recounted. “There hasn’t been a number one pop record that was recorded like that in forty, fifty years.”

iCfBf3pYirA7Y.gif

ro%25C3%25A7a.gif

drowning though

child................................

get into brain and this is what it feels like.

Our Time by Lily Allen is such a great pre-party song, I know the rest of the album was paid dust but this one track shouldnt

iZjVmXVoG2nIv.gif

It's the only song I use on the album. It's great.

cory64

In Short: GET YOUR SCALPS GREASED AND READY. THE LEGEND IS COMING.

TJAYB8I.gif

waiT Legend(ary Debut Era) is working with the guy behind smash Urban hit (for over 12 months and still going strong) WITHOUT ME????????

I'm perched.

Kelly fucking slayed that track. The song is better than anything on BEYONCÉ

I'm also interested in seeing what happens with Tori Kelly. That riff at 2:22 is just... jusT
I have a feeling she'll have a Beyoncé or JoJo-like upward trajectory. In other words, some bad habits, but nothing so dire that the overall strength of her musicality can't overcome.

No one will ever experience a Sohyang-like upward trajectory, however. It is spoken.

Robido's post makes me want to check out Maxwell's music. I think his debut is going to be the next album I listen to.
Who needs Maxwell? Perk your ears at Luke James and buy his debut album this fall while you're at it.

Watch him annihilate Brandy. Watch him eyefuck a ho.

1372944890000-AP-Beyonce---Mrs-Carter-World-Tour-Day-2-1307040938_x-large.jpg

lordT I'd let him beat it up so raw

*swoon*

EDIT: Speaking of fine-ass brothers, the harmonized countdown at the beginning of the track would like a word with every single boyband ever.

!!!!!!!!
I must THANK YOU for this!!! I COMPLETELY forgot that Layton vs. Ace Attorney was coming out next month (so soon?!!!). I stopped and pre-ordered it right after work today thanks to your post! :D :D :D LOVE your Apollo avatar btw, he's probably my favorite character design in the series! ;)
I own and have completed every Layton, and I also own every Ace Attorney, but I'm several games behind atm including Dual Destinies and now I've only got 1 month to catch up!!! So excited
th_DANCE.gif

AHHH!! You're so welcome!! I was helpful yayy!! <333 Ace Attorney is my favorite series of all time!! I've replayed the games more than I'd like to admit o___o I'm soooo excited for this game to come out! And the HD Trilogy onto the 3DS hehehe!! I preordered mine yesterday!! <3 I'm so fricken excited!!! :D :D :D!!

And thanks for the compliment!! <3 Apollo is my favorite character design too, actually!! :D!

Grizzo

Don't sleep on Tweet young people, you'll be glad you didn't.

ifSChAz0ky6OV.jpg

I wanna thank you for this post. I'm a huge hip-hop/R&B fan and I've only been listening to Tweet's singles (got all of them on my iPod, my fav is Turn Da Lights Off and Oops (Oh My) which is a classic), but now I've just discovered Southern Hummingbird and I gotta say it's a shame she went so unnoticed. What a nice mellow album this is. Cool beats, nice grooves, everything is just so... smooth. So thanks Robido!

Her career reminds me of Blu Cantrell, who is one of my favorite voice of the R&B genre. Both have two albums under their belt, some hits, and both are nowhere to be found nowadays. Such a shame :(

6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif

LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT! LEGEND ALERT!
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif
6uaeB7M.gif

EXCITING! Though if I've learned anything from making assumptions based on producers, it's that you should never expect the music to sound like the other songs they've made for other people. I wouldn't be surprised if her next sound is nothing like 90s urban/pop. I'm hoping that it is though. You know all too well that my favorite Christina material is the faster-paced pop grooves, so as long as we get more songs like Come On Over and less songs like Sing For Me I'll be one happy fangirl.

ibsV548lI9LqzX.jpg
iSMSifhNVoDtR.jpg

Yes we can, Bey!

This is already iconic, though I wished Beyonce knew how to serve face as well as she serves body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom