• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear ones, some time ago, soundtrack albums used to slay. Movies could be the shittiest thing ever, you were always almost guaranteed a slaying soundtrack. (they are glorified mix tapes after all) I would like to introduce you to a few today.

The Dead Presidents soundtrack lit the fire of my love for 60's and 70's R&B. I think the first song I heard off of this was "The Look Of Love" cover by Isaac Hayes. When I tell you I was spent after that 11+ minute journey, bitch, you best believe it. There are so many good tracks on this babies, it was a revelation. Just to think about all the music I had no idea existed in my, then meager 19 years, was astonishing to me. I used this as a springboard into so many ICONIC artists. The Dead Presidents is a hood classic, and it should be yours too.

side note: I didn't find out there was a Volume 2 til years later. Tell me if you recognize which song sampled "Right On For The Darkness" in the bonus section. ~Be Blessed.
iYsk0BUuKoDYu.jpg

"If You Want Me To Stay", by Sly & The Family Stone
"Walk On By", by Isaac Hayes
"The Payback", by James Brown
"I'll Be Around", by The Spinners
"Never Never Gonna Give You Up", by Barry White
"I Miss You", by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
"Get Up & Get Down", by The Dramatics
"(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go", by Curtis Mayfield
"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", by Aretha Franklin
"Where Is The Love", by Jesse Campbell & Trina
"Tired Of Being Alone", by Al Green
"Love Train" by The O'Jays
"The Look Of Love", by Isaac Hayes
"Dead Presidents Theme" by Danny Elfman

Bonus: (From Volume 2)
"Smiling Faces Sometimes", by the Undisputed Truth
"Right on for the Darkness", by Curtis Mayfield
"Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)", by the Temptations
"I Was Made to Love Her", by Stevie Wonder
"(Man Oh Man) I Want to Go Back", by the Impressions
--------------------------------------------------

My lord, if ever there was a shitty movie with an outstanding soundtrack award, it would go to Love Jones. I'd never seen so many bougie negroes in all my days. The movie was trash, the soundtrack slays. Nuff said. I vacillate between this and Dead Presidents as the number 1 spot on my soundtrask list. It's a must!

iCg61kNYUs1Qc.jpg

"Brother to the Night (A Blues for Nina) - Darius' Poem" — Larenz Tate
"Hopeless" — Dionne Farris
"The Sweetest Thing" — Refugee Camp All-Stars featuring Lauryn Hill
"I Got a Love Jones for You" — Refugee Camp All-Stars
"Sumthin' Sumthin': Mellosmoothe (Cut)" — Maxwell
"Never Enough" — Groove Theory
"Inside My Love" — Trina Broussard
"In the Rain" — Xscape
"You Move Me" — Cassandra Wilson
"Rush Over" — Marcus Miller & Me'shell Ndegeocello
"I Like It" — The Brand New Heavies
"Girl" — Cassie
"Can't Get Enough" — Kenny Lattimore
"Jelly, Jelly" — The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
"In a Sentimental Mood" — Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
"Nina's Poem (I am Looking at Music)" — Nia Long
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming back to the 60's and 70's R&B for Curtis Mayfield with a soundtrack to a movie I've never seen. I was hipped to this soundtrack because Curtis got major love in California. It goes without saying... but I will. It's the business. Get into it.
ibouqgGXf4Ypjk.jpg

"Little Child Runnin' Wild"
"Pusherman"
"Freddie's Dead"
"Junkie Chase (Instrumental)"
"Give Me Your Love (Love Song)"
"Eddie You Should Know Better"
"No Thing on Me (Cocaine Song)"
"Think (Instrumental)" (aka "Resentment" by Beyonce)
"Superfly"
------------------------------------------------------------

The next 2 soundtracks only half slay. But I would be remiss if I didn't include them. Whitney period. Sis could do no wrong on a soundtrack.
ixbnoZdki64UE.jpg

"I Have Nothing"
"I'm Every Woman"
"Run to You"
"Queen of the Night"
"It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day" - S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. (Michelle Visage)

iUlk4jUIgY9tk.jpg

"I Believe in You and Me"
"I Go to the Rock"
"I Love the Lord"
"He's All Over Me"
"The Lord Is My Shepherd -Cissy Houston"
"Joy to the World #MariahHew?"

omg i had that movie on vhs and i watched it when i was in 3rd grade or something

we also had what's love got to do with it and the scene where ike fucks tina shook me

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Aw, that's sweet of you :* Btw, I'm glad you have an avatar again. Love it!

Aw you're always so sweet yourself Vazduh! Ya' sure know how to make a guy feel good about himself ;)

madonna-give-me-all-your-luvin-gif.gif

Sia's "not showing my face this era lolz" shtick is getting pretty tiring and old.

Ugh is this really a thing?

tumblr_inline_mm1chpO7vl1qz4rgp.gif

Well does she have a choice though
ih6wDtCUYpiKj.gif

For her next era may I suggest:

paper-bag-over-head.png

Mau ®;122535316 said:
King Alex (EnigmaticAlex)

I'm making you a Rihanna's Greatest Hits playlist.

Hopefully you'll become a #NVAY afterwards *.*

Ah, that's AWESOME Mau <3 <3
I'll give her a real and fair shot, I promise! :D
I do still use Umbrella
;)

Grizzo

oooooh this is gonna be good. Will listen to this album again, but from what I remember, I like most of the tracks, especially Takin' Over The World.

And I still use the singles. When I Grow Up is gold.

iWPT2n1OysfH4.gif

I mean, this shit is ridiculous. Sia actually went on national television like this? This legit got me tight; what a mess. She got me cuss typing because of how ridiculous this looks lol

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Do any of the older members of POPGAF
rob
or young 'uns with older taste remember Everything but the Girl? I've been nostalgic lately and getting back into some of their bops

walking_wounded.jpg

Everything but the Girl were an English musical duo til' about 2000 (and it's been hinted they may do some new music someday), with lead singer Tracey Thorn and guitarist/keyboardist Ben Watt (they were also a couple which I didn't know back then). I'm not sure what their type of music is called. I'd just describe it as trance pop, you can both dance and chill to their music, whatever fits your mood <3

Their most famous and successful single I believe was the classic Missing from way back in 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sPkS8b62Q

Another one that's still in heavy rotation in my playlists is Five Fathoms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkOlvZQiDs

This is one of my very FAVES, I actually didn't discover it until 2012 when I was playing Lumines Symphony on the Vita and fell in love instantly with the song called The Future of the Future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNznc-hFyg

Also, Single is a sad, weepy kind of tune with a horrid trash video but the song is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAjB8ag97o4

EBTG represent everything I love about the 90's <3 <3 <3

Everything+but+the+Girl+ebtg1.jpg

POPGAF things I'm into at the moment!

2. I CANT at last nights RHONY finale and LEGATE!
tumblr_n8u4rtPh7S1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

pitster03! I must say I always enjoy your posts!!! I love your enthusiasm! <3
I'm also screaming a bit at the fake leg gifs, is that Real Housewives??? XD XD What have I been missing.......

rob
or young 'uns with older taste remember Everything but the Girl? I've been nostalgic lately and getting back into some of their bops

walking_wounded.jpg

Everything but the Girl were an English musical duo til' about 2000 (and it's been hinted they may do some new music someday), with lead singer Tracey Thorn and guitarist/keyboardist Ben Watt (they were also a couple which I didn't know back then). I'm not sure what their type of music is called. I'd just describe it as trance pop, you can both dance and chill to their music, whatever fits your mood <3

Their most famous and successful single I believe was the classic Missing from way back in 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sPkS8b62Q

Another one that's still in heavy rotation in my playlists is Five Fathoms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkOlvZQiDs

This is one of my very FAVES, I actually didn't discover it until 2012 when I was playing Lumines Symphony on the Vita and fell in love instantly with the song called The Future of the Future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNznc-hFyg

Also, Single is a sad, weepy kind of tune with a horrid trash video but the song is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAjB8ag97o4

EBTG represent everything I love about the 90's <3 <3 <3

Everything+but+the+Girl+ebtg1.jpg

pitster03! I must say I always enjoy your posts!!! I love your enthusiasm! <3
I'm also screaming a bit at the fake leg gifs, is that Real Housewives??? XD XD What have I been missing.......

OMG!!!

Missing: This is the song I have been looking for for AGES! I never knew the name of the group or the song name but this is it! Wow, this takes me waaaaaay back. And the rest of their stuff slays. Enigmac, thank you sis for rekindling this long lost song I have been struggling to find for years <333

iWPT2n1OysfH4.gif

I mean, this shit is ridiculous. Sia actually went on national television like this? This legit got me tight; what a mess. She got me cuss typing because of how ridiculous this looks lol

Whatever, I'm all for artists doing shit like this. Her era is supposed to be a narrative, so this is pretty in line with everything she's done before. It's refreshing to see people be a little more fearless with how they sell themselves and aren't just bobbing on a proverbial dick looking pretty and smiling. This is the entertainment business after all :d

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
rob

Love 'em and usually keep at least one of their alberms (or Tracey's solo stuff) on my mp3 player for work. Her collabs with Massive Attack are ICONIC too.

Whatever, I'm all for artists doing shit like this. Her era is supposed to be a narrative, so this is pretty in line with everything she's done before. It's refreshing to see people be a little more fearless with how they sell themselves and aren't just bobbing on a proverbial dick looking pretty and smiling. This is the entertainment business after all :d

Tj5tKnm.gif

Grizzo

Omg yaaaaaas :3

Was I the only one who shamefully watched Search for the Next Doll semi-religiously? ;____; it was trash but like... Great trash x_x

I remember that the girl who won (Natasha?) just did one live performance with them and then she called it quits hahaha. I think she didn't get along with the other members.

royalan

I remain steadfast in my belief that the Pussycat Dolls remains one of the best pop girl groups of the last decade. And I'm not even kidding.

Their debut album is nothing BUT Bops.

And Doll Domination, while not AS good, is STILL damn good and gave me Bottle Pop. When I Grow Up also slays. So does What You Think About That.

Pussycat Dolls could have truly been great if Nicole Scherzinger didn't let her hunger for solo fame fuck up a good thing. Just one more good album would have been enough to put them in the conversation over "Legendary Girl Groups."Now all we can do is acknowledge that they had that potential.

EDIT: WAIT - And how could I forget Hush Hush!?

Nemesis_

I remain steadfast in my belief that the Pussycat Dolls remains one of the best pop girl groups of the last decade. And I'm not even kidding.

Their debut album is nothing BUT Bops.

And Doll Domination, while not AS good, is STILL damn good and gave me Bottle Pop. When I Grow Up also slays. So does What You Think About That.

Pussycat Dolls could have truly been great if Nicole Scherzinger didn't let her hunger for solo fame fuck up a good thing. Just one more good album would have been enough to put them in the conversation over "Legendary Girl Groups."Now all we can do is acknowledge that they had that potential.

EDIT: WAIT - And how could I forget Hush Hush!?

wasn't most of it Nicole anyway? :/

Buttons is my favourite song by them. I live for the production. It gives me hot bazaar in Morocco teas.

la-roux-trouble-in-paradise_210714_1405938083_66_.jpg

I'm digging this album. I really appreciate cohesive albums and La Roux 'Trouble in Paradise' delivers the cohesiveness with productions and lyrics.
La Roux 'Trouble in Paradise' give me 'Jem and The Holograms' vibes.

POPGAF PLEASE give me some good recommendations for Male Pop/R&B albums.
Mali Music - Mali Is... is my latest find. NEED MORE.
mali-music-album-review.jpg

Grizzo

Royalan is right (as usual), PCD was a damn good album.

Everybody was quick to dismiss them because "oh they're all about sex" and "there's only one singer", but their first album had it all : impressive vocals, nice beats, entertaining music videos.

Even the cover weren't half-bad (Tainted Love and Feeling Good are great, not so sure about Hot Stuff though).

Lol! I mean I can see where your coming from but it's just ridiculous to me. It's not like a Google search wouldn't be able to display her face she is hiding, so that's why I don't get it. I don't know this narrative she's trying to get across but I hardly find this fearless. I give her credit for not dressing crazy to get the attention tho.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rofl
I just saw the Tulisa or Michael Jackson trend on twitter :rip

Hew was the second pussycat girl who got some success? I seem to remember one of them put out a couple of bops

Grizzo

Haha I just tweeted something about that the other day! :D

People say it's due to fillings, and soon her face should be less bloated but... I don't think so. Man, Tulisa was really cute, why the hell would she do that?

I'm not gonna talk about her trial because... well let's just say she got really lucky. All the evidences were against her.

Rofl
I just saw the Tulisa or Michael Jackson trend on twitter :rip

Hew was the second pussycat girl who got some success? I seem to remember one of them put out a couple of bops

Kimberley Cole? She had a hit 4 years ago in the UK with a crappy rapper names Aggro Santos. Check out the music video, it's called Candy.

Vazduh

Haha I just tweeted something about that the other day! :D

People say it's due to fillings, and soon her face should be less bloated but... I don't think so. Man, Tulisa was really cute, why the hell would she do that?

I'm not gonna talk about her trial because... well let's just say she got really lucky. All the evidences were against her.

Ikr? Her excuse (research for a movie role) was just ridiculous.

And her new face is just tragic, that big ass trout pout is doing her no favors.

Nemesis_

PopJustice did an interview with Hilary Duff

I picked out the good quotes, but it's still worth reading if you're remotely interested.

The big &#8216;Hilary&#8217;s back&#8217; press release says that you arrived at your new label RCA &#8220;with a vision for the album&#8221;. What was that vision Hilary?
When I first started recording, the album was a lot heavier. It was a lot more serious. I started to steer away from that because as part of my personality, I do like to have fun and I do like to live as carefree and big as possible and do things that make me happy and be a positive person. So the album took on those kinds of legs and I got inspired by some of the folkier-type music (!). I love Mumford & Sons and I love The Lumineers. It&#8217;s definitely a straightforward pop album but with a bit of that influence in there. When I came to the label I just kept saying &#8216;I want it to feel a little earthy and authentic&#8217; because I&#8217;m from Texas, and they were like &#8216;earthy? What does that mean?&#8217;. But that&#8217;s the best way I can describe it. It&#8217;s definitely pop &#8211; I wanted to have those melodies that get stuck in your head &#8211; but also have some foot-stomping and claps that bring me back to my roots.

Is there any EDM on there?
No, it&#8217;s all gone! (Laughs) Even though that&#8217;s where I started. A few songs I came up with were really cool and you kind of get heartbroken when you realise no one&#8217;s ever going to hear them and they&#8217;re going to be trashed.

[on leaking them] (Laughs) You know what, that&#8217;s not a bad idea. After the album&#8217;s at the end of its cycle that would be cool to let the fans see a different side, but it wasn&#8217;t the push that I wanted to have out there.

You&#8217;ve shifted 15m records worldwide. Do you think you&#8217;ll sell another 15m?
HELL YEAH! Of course. I think you have to believe it and be confident in anything you want. So of course I believe that. It might take a few years, but I think I&#8217;ll do it again.

&#8216;So Yesterday&#8217; is probably one of the greatest songs of all time isn&#8217;t it?
Oh wow, that&#8217;s a big compliment, thank you.

I remember not wanting to record it or have it on my album and my manager was like &#8216;no, you&#8217;re recording this one&#8217;.

The iota of interest I had in this project has just plummeted for me. Not here for a folky TEXAS-pop record.

Grizzo

Kinda disappointed she's not gonna give us a follow-up to Dignity, but I'm not writing her off just yet. Mandy Moore did a folkish album a few years back (Wild Hope, in 2006) and it was really neat. So... I'll just wait and see.

Though it would have been cool if Charli XCX got involved in this album.

Nemesis_

I would've loved to hear what Boom Clap would've sounded like if it were sung by her. It would've been a killer lead single too.

POPGAF PLEASE give me some good recommendations for Male Pop/R&B albums.
Mali Music - Mali Is... is my latest find. NEED MORE.
mali-music-album-review.jpg
David Ryan Harris is great - "For You" is just a beautiful piece of music. Glenn Lewis is also an overlooked artist ("Don't You Forget It" is such a chill but heavy song).

Also check out Rahsaan Patterson ("The Best" is a highlight). And finally Vikter Duplaix for a dancer soul vibe.

Socially aware and/or sexually aware jams for days.

cory64

But isn't Drunk In Love one of 2014's biggest hits?

I believe you mean "SURFBOARDT" but yes.
1 decent smash every 5 years is not relevancy unless you can do it for a few decades.
The bridge of Start Over >>>>> BEYONCÉ

Then again, Katy has to have 1 a year just to get permission to breathe from her label. She might not make it out of 2015.

Grizzo

I believe you mean "SURFBOARDT" but yes.
1 decent smash every 5 years is not relevancy unless you can do it for a few decades.
The bridge of Start Over >>>>> BEYONCÉ

Then again, Katy has to have 1 a year just to get permission to breathe from her label. She might not make it out of 2015.

Coming from the Teenage Dream era, PRISM's sales look really disappointing.

If you look at 4 and then BEYONCÉ, things look much better!

Well to her defense, what is she supposed to say? "lol nah I'm dead for, ain't nobody's gonna buy my album"? Her naïveté is almost
touching, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom