• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Cleanse? Well, I see Millie has already vomitted on Natalia's album cover. If that's the kind of cleanse you are talking about, then no thanks.

Lol weren't you sporting a Gaga avi yesterday? What kind of backtracking mess.

Lol weren't you sporting a Gaga avi yesterday? What kind of backtracking mess.
I've repented for my sins. When will you?

ibjIcfkpaY3slB.gif

But I thought we left Gaga in OT8? Her subtle impact and showcase of lasting power?

Tbh, Gaga has room to mess up. She isn't over at even the slightest. At the end of the day, she still pulls headlines being bad, she still can book huge events and still has that sort of relevance that at this point makes her a household name. People may not be buying her brand in droves, but being talked about constantly is probably why she will still be able to recuperate and bounce back.

I just can't spell doom for someone as big as Gaga. The GP may not have been *here* at the moment for Gags but she isn't out of fresh bold ideas that with some help, can take her very far. As it is, she has to battle with time and execution. If she can find a way to collaborate both and make them once again memorable as she did in her previous eras, she'll be fine.

Nemesis_

But I thought we left Gaga in OT8? Her subtle impact and showcase of lasting power?

Tbh, Gaga has room to mess up. She isn't over at even the slightest. At the end of the day, she still pulls headlines being bad, she still can book huge events and still has that sort of relevance that at this point makes her a household name. People may not be buying her brand in droves, but being talked about constantly is probably why she will still be able to recuperate and bounce back.

I just can't spell doom for someone as big as Gaga. The GP may not have been *here* at the moment for Gags but she isn't out of fresh bold ideas that with some help, can take her very far. As it is, she has to battle with time and execution. If she can find a way to collaborate both and make them once again memorable as she did in her previous eras, she'll be fine.

Niece if we can bring Christina Aguilera up at every twist and turn of the precedings then we can bring Gaga up >_>

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The GUY video is the best video she's done since the TFM era though (maybe Judas holds up) and ARTPOP is better than BTW
There is a large difference between thinking this isn't her best era and proclaiming that she's done and creatively bankrupt like the majority of this thread do. I have never seen so many people turn on someone so quickly when they have done nothing wrong. It's like reverse bandwagon stanning, it's absurd.

I don't think ARTPOP is better than BTW. Or at least, while I understand that you might prefer some of the mood and vibe of ARTPOP, I don't think anybody can sensibly claim that ARTPOP has the same level of polish or quality of execution as BTW (of course in this regard TFM is miles ahead of both of them).

She might not be creatively bankrupt—it's too early to make that call seriously. But there's been no clear creative threads in ARTPOP and I think it's legitimate to wonder whether it's because she doesn't have one. And certainly from this point of view her 'fallen angel that everyone wanted to make money with' sob-story that she's adopted recently isn't doing her any favours. She was the one thirsty for breaking records with her popularity, regardless of what people behind the scenes might claim. And what made Gaga interesting in the past was her Madonna-like knack for just being a pop star. So for her to push some kind of 'underground pop star' angle now is just poorly conceived.

But I do agree with everyone that's said that she needs to surround herself with people who can get things done, and she also needs to not see that as a problem (I suspect that at the moment she thinks that 'true artists' do everything themselves, which is nonsense). There's a reason that Brian Epstein and George Martin are usually considered honorary members of The Beatles.

[edit] Oh and it's obvious to anyone with functioning ears that Trouble is better than ARTPOP, you can all stay bothered.

Nemesis_

LES LOVE, LES SEX, LES DRUGS, LES TOUCH

iY1mifSVczMgT.gif

We could call it fleeting, we could call it, we could call it

ibj2qFawzVJmQW.gif

LES LOVE, LES SEX, LES HAND ON LES LEG,

ibj2qFawzVJmQW.gif

We could call it I don't care, we could call it love.

iPRCr39h2t9D5.gif

Vazduh

I wish Gaga stopped directing her stuff, I wouldn't want her become the Uwe Boll of music videos.

But hey, at least we got an ambitious, big-budget video, which is a rarity nowadays.

Pointless trivia: Uwe Boll actually directed a music video once. And guess what? It was awful.

Narrow-minded

Tropico is Tropico, ARTPOP is ARTPOP. One is understated and elegant because that's who the artist is, the other is vivacious and commercial because that's who the artist is. Sigh

royalan

Narrow-minded

Tropico is Tropico, ARTPOP is ARTPOP. One is understated and elegant because that's who the artist is, the other is vivacious and commercial because that's who the artist is. Sigh

I'm going to remind you of this post the next time you try to argue that Gaga does what she does because she's niche and doesn't care about the charts, sis. *.*

I'm going to remind you of this post the next time you try to argue that Gaga does what she does because she's niche and doesn't care about the charts, sis. *.*

There's a difference between wanting to have a number one song and wanting to be relevant in pop culture, diva. Gaga's gone from wanting both to really just wanting the latter, but that can easily change next cycle.

Bladenic

Despite my lack of ability to procure tickets to Lana's show, I am still beyond excited for new music from her. Hope the first single is out very soon.

Partition

Banned
ARTPOP is not better than BTW, not even close.

BTW is a solid body of work, it is cohesive and sounds like a complete album, because it is. It lacks the amount of filler that ARTPOP has, and has twice as many standout tracks.

I also disagree on the production of ARTPOP being better. ARTPOP is her worst produced album, imo. ARTPOP production may sound more simplified and "tighter", but it also sounds very uninspired and lazy. There are only a few tracks I would commend for their production, those being Applause, Venus, and Fashon!. It doesn't come close to BTW's level of creativity and sophistication (Born This Way, Scheiße, Bloody Mary, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel, Edge of Glory).

ARTPOP is not better than BTW, not even close.

BTW is a solid body of work, it is cohesive and sounds like a complete album, because it is. It lacks the amount of filler that ARTPOP has, and has twice as many standout tracks.

I also disagree on the production of ARTPOP being better. ARTPOP is her worst produced album, imo. ARTPOP production may sound more simplified and "tighter", but it also sounds very uninspired and lazy. There are only a few tracks I would commend for their production, those being Applause, Venus, and Fashon!. It doesn't come close to BTW's level of creativity and sophistication (Born This Way, Scheiße, Bloody Mary, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel, Edge of Glory).

I think it's coz Born This Way's production is very 80s inspired, which isn't commonplace today. ARTPOP's production is obviously meant to be current so it's easier to say it's less inspired or interesting, coz we hear that type of sound a lot today.

I agree that Born This Way is a better body of work, but I can see ARTPOP being that underrated dark horse album of her career once all is said and done.

royalan

ARTPOP shits on BTW from a great height.

It's just a funner, more light-hearted album. Closer to the spirit of what made people fall in love with Gaga in the first place. BTW suffered from the overbearing weight of Gaga's pretentiousness.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ARTPOP shits on BTW from a great height.

It's just a funner, light-hearted album. Closer to the spirit of what made people fall in love with Gaga in the first place. BTW suffered from the overbearing weight of Gaga's pretentiousness.

Well it depends on the axes on which you value it, like I said. You can prefer the vibe, or mood or what-have-you. But I don't really think that you can say that ARTPOP is better made, or polished, or written (etc.) than BTW. Nothing on BTW is as egregiously half-baked as Swine or as clumsy as Applause or as disjointed as Venus, even if the high points of the album (ARTPOP, Aura, MJH) sound as good as the best stuff on BTW.

royalan

Well it depends on the axes on which you value it, like I said. You can prefer the vibe, or mood or what-have-you. But I don't really think that you can say that ARTPOP is better made, or polished, or written (etc.) than BTW. Nothing on BTW is as egregiously half-baked as Swine or as clumsy as Applause or as disjointed as Venus, even if the high points of the album (ARTPOP, Aura, MJH) sound as good as the best stuff on BTW.

I suppose I can agree with this. Although I also agree with Cory in that the lows on BTW are MUCH lower.

I think I appreciate ARTPOP for the spirit more than the polish. There is an unfinished quality, but still, for a brief moment ARTPOP allows me to close my eyes and remember the fierce-ass bitch who stomped onto the scene in 2008.

But then I open my eyes and see the pathetic mess she's turned into...

She didn't. I think it's just the fans that are doing that

LittleMonsters.com is doing it. It was in a newsletter they sent out right after the video premiered.

I stand by my belief that "funner" should be a word. And I'll keep using it until it becomes one, GAWDdamnit.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This review of ARTPOP is basically spot on.

I suppose I can agree with this. Although I also agree with Cory in that the lows on BTW are MUCH lower.

I think I appreciate ARTPOP for the spirit more than the polish. There is an unfinished quality, but still, for a brief moment ARTPOP allows me to close my eyes and remember the fierce-ass bitch who stomped onto the scene in 2008.

But then I open my eyes and see the pathetic mess she's turned into...

Well as I said before, I think stuff like ARTPOP is among the best songs she's ever put out. Similarly Swine is absolutely fantastic right up until it swerves off the track right into a flaming wreck 1:20 in.

There are snippets of pure pop brilliance on ARTPOP, which is why, for me, the shoddiness and frequent laziness of the way the whole thing is put together is all the more disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom