• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
In retrospect I really like the Applause video, I just wish the song was better. Some of the imagery in it is fierce as hell, but the song is kind of bland and can't keep up.

Critics flock to an album that plays at "cohesion." This is nothing new.

I think that there's a difference between measured and deliberate juxtaposition of styles (something that TFM did well e.g. the difference between Bad Romance and Teeth), and throwing everything together because you haven't got a clear goal in mind (I think this is the case with ARTPOP).

Koodo

Banned
Judas could've been an iconic video were it not for Lady Nintendo's (and that other dismissed gremlin's) execrable direction ruining any sense of flow from scene to scene.

Born This Way was her only truly great video that era. The one video where Nintendo didn't rub her turd-infested grime on every step of the process.

royalan

Well as I said before, I think stuff like ARTPOP is among the best songs she's ever put out. Similarly Swine is absolutely fantastic right up until it swerves off the track right into a flaming wreck 1:20 in.

There are snippets of pure pop brilliance on ARTPOP, which is why, for me, the shoddiness and frequent laziness of the way the whole thing is put together is all the more disappointing.

Gaga needs her team back.

At the end of her SXSW stint when she brought out that troop of lazy, dirty groupies that I could smell through my computer screen and was like, "THESE ARE MY FRIENDS" I said "There! Right there! These people are everything that's wrong with Gaga right now."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/prince

Buzzfeed said:
1. Prince wrote his first song at the age of 7, and it was called “Funk Machine.”

7. He rejected a deal with CBS when he was 19 because they insisted that Verdine White from Earth, Wind, and Fire produce his first three albums. Prince later signed a deal with Warner Bros. that allowed him to produce his own music.

8. Another clause in Prince’s Warner Bros. contract allowed him to recruit and produce other artists for the label. He took advantage of this to produce an album by The Time.

9. Despite the fact that he put The Time through rigorous rehearsals for the album, Prince ended up recording every single instrumental part on their debut album himself. The only member of the band who is actually on the record is singer Morris Day, who was forced to closely mimic Prince’s delivery and is often overshadowed by his backing vocals.

13. Prince also ghostwrote and produced a record for Vanity 6, a trio fronted by Denise Matthews, a woman he was dating in the early ’80s.

14. He originally wanted the group to be called The Hookers, and for Matthews to go by the stage name Vagina — pronounced “va-geen-uh” — but she refused and chose the name Vanity instead.

15. Prince gave the group the name Vanity 6 because among the three members, there were six breasts.

16. Prince is the only artist aside from The Beatles to have the No. 1 movie, album, and single in the United States at the same time with Purple Rain and “When Doves Cry.”

17. “When Doves Cry” was revolutionary for being the first major R&B hit to not include a bass line.

33. Tim Burton had originally planned for the Batman soundtrack to be split between Prince and Michael Jackson, with the former providing funk tracks and the latter singing ballads.

36. Prince wrote “Manic Monday” for The Bangles.

37. And co-wrote “Stand Back” with Stevie Nicks. He also played synthesizer on the studio recording.

38. And “I Feel for You” for Chaka Khan.

39. And “Round and Round” for Tevin Campbell.

40. And “Sugar Walls” for Sheena Easton.

41. He wrote Cyndi Lauper’s hit “When You Were Mine” too. It was originally released on Dirty Mind in 1980.

42. He wrote “Nothing Compares 2 U” for The Family, but Sinead O’Connor made it a worldwide hit in 1990.

43. He played guitar on Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” but was not officially credited.

44. He also played on Kate Bush’s (hew?) “Why Should I Love You?”

45. Michael Jackson wrote “Bad” with the intention of singing it as a duet with Prince, but Prince wasn’t comfortable with the lyrics and objected to the opening line, “Your butt is mine.”

50. Prince keeps an extensive archive of unused songs, shelved albums, and assorted abandoned video projects in a storeroom he calls The Vault in his Paisley Park studio compound.

52. Paisley Park had a full-time catering team, a staff of 10 tailors on hand to create bespoke clothing for Prince and his musicians, and a film crew to shoot videos that would never be released.

idn1DgfnUma2G.gif

I like more songs on ARTPOP but loved BTW's concept. I still think it was ahead of its time reasonably and the only reason it didn't shine was because it wasn't current. It was just completely on its own, left to die because no one would jump behind it. It doesn't surprise me that all of a sudden, it's better than ARTPOP.

Doesn't explain the drop in userscore. Critics didn't "flock" to BTW either, it's like 7 points lower than TFM.

Userscore dropped because the only people who rate things on metacritic are trolls and fans. And the amount of fans decreased since Born This Way making the score drop.

Vazduh

He originally wanted the group to be called The Hookers, and for Matthews to go by the stage name Vagina — pronounced “va-geen-uh” — but she refused and chose the name Vanity instead.

FTBJ1wM.gif

I love that album, it's one of my dearest guilty pleasures. Make-Up, Drive Me Wild, Nasty Girl... all flawless bops.

Trivia: Amanda Blank covered Make Up on her (sadly) only album, I Love You.

Hm, this is nice. Slightly bopping rn

0z6aoR7.gif

Anastacia has a new song and album coming out!

Stupid Little Things

Hmm... It's quite good, although it feels like Left Outside Alone pt 2 a bit. The song will do okay in Europe, especially in Germany, they really like her there.

Partition

Banned
Just three more to go and I will reign supreme.

You've always been the Supreme

ibstxTCQqXJ7Iz.gif

No one else here puts so much effort in defending their fave - coming up with explanations that can even make Gaga taking a shit on a fan have some kind of artistic message and importance

royalan

You've always been the Supreme

ibstxTCQqXJ7Iz.gif

No one else here puts so much effort in defending their fave - coming up with explanations that can even make Gaga taking a shit on a fan have some kind of artistic message and importance

It's the #Fighter in him, really. :)

Ahasverus

I wish Gaga stopped directing her stuff, I wouldn't want her become the Uwe Boll of music videos.

But hey, at least we got an ambitious, big-budget video, which is a rarity nowadays.

Pointless trivia: Uwe Boll actually directed a music video once. And guess what? It was awful.
Poor Nightwish, how could they fall so down with Uwe Boll.. they bounced really ok tho

Why are you hating on GUY, this is Gaga's best in a long long time, may she return to Fame ways.

Vazduh

Poor Nightwish, how could they fall so down with Uwe Boll.. they bounced really ok tho

Why are you hating on GUY, this is Gaga's best in a long long time, may she return to Fame ways.

Wow, I haven't heard Amaranth in years!

I don't actually hate the video (hate is too strong of a word), I simply don't like it. It's just that I feel that Gaga should just create the concepts with her team and let an experienced director bring those concepts to life. That's all.

Ahasverus

I don't actually hate the video (hate is too strong of a word), I simply don't like it. It's just that I feel that Gaga should just create the concepts with her team and let an experienced director bring those concepts to life. That's all.

I agree, I believe the intro is self indulgent and quite boring, but the video itself is pleasant, could be better in the hands of a professional of course (Gaga directed videos always have that unexplicable jank) but I think her photography got quite good! It's pretty to look at. That's more than you can say about her last 4 or so.

Vazduh

I agree, I believe the intro is self indulgent and quite boring, but the video itself is pleasant, could be better in the hands of a professional of course (Gaga directed videos always have that unexplicable jank) but I think her photography got quite good! It's pretty to look at. That's more than you can say about her last 4 or so.

Oh, I can definitely agree with that, the video sure does look good.

She's coming to slay!

9YTT2rX.gif

Vitanimus

Is anyone from the UK buying tickets for Kate Bush? I don't really listen to her but I feel like I should because it's an event... a true legend.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Is anyone from the UK buying tickets for Kate Bush? I don't really listen to her but I feel like I should because it's an event... a true legend.

Same as CDR, my mum is a stan so I'll try and get some for her considering its mothers day and her birthday next week, Only fifteen shows though so lawd knows it will be a struggle

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm very impressed some homeless man would not only see the video within 24 hours but managed to find the arts and crafts to make a poster about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom