• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#popMAFIA | So don’t let this be our final song

Ty4on

like, I don't think you can call it a turbo if there are 37 minutes left from 96 hours. also, if there was a turbo, it would be on whoever did it and not me. also, flame_ac is on 6 and is literally in hammer range now, I could have ended the day right now if I wanted a day end (and anyone else could do the same)

like, I don't mean to be mean, but everything about that post was dumb

That's not why I wanna lynch you

Semantics shemantics, I still think it sucks to end the day abruptly when people are finally posting.

Ty4on

also, if there was a turbo, it would be on whoever did it and not me. also, flame_ac is on 6 and is literally in hammer range now, I could have ended the day right now if I wanted a day end (and anyone else could do the same)

Maybe you wanted somebody else to end the day and take the blame *shrug*

Coppanuva

That vote was mainly because Crab hadn't replied to anything I wrote about him, but I also don't want a turbo.

You and Haly have despite being claimed masons been complete nulls to me. What do you think of Crab?

Yeah, I know. I've been kinda busy with work taking on new responsibilities and all. But regardless...

Crab was someone I looked at's posts last night actually, and I didn't find too much at fault with him. He's been pretty vocal about almost everything and has long thought out arguments when he does post which can be kinda a pain in the ass to read through, but I think he puts up more analysis of details than most people. Right now I don't see him as particularly scummy, and he's not the top of my list. I am, however, wary of him and will continue to re-evaluate as the game goes on based on his reputation.

Ty4on

Yeah, I know. I've been kinda busy with work taking on new responsibilities and all. But regardless...

Crab was someone I looked at's posts last night actually, and I didn't find too much at fault with him. He's been pretty vocal about almost everything and has long thought out arguments when he does post which can be kinda a pain in the ass to read through, but I think he puts up more analysis of details than most people. Right now I don't see him as particularly scummy, and he's not the top of my list. I am, however, wary of him and will continue to re-evaluate as the game goes on based on his reputation.

I could still see scum team being Crab-Coppanuva-Haly

Why do you assume scum!Crab would be "scummy"? He survived for a damn long time in HP after basically being detected N1 (IIRC, never read through it).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's day 3. The odds you are right about one scum alone are relatively low. And yet you're saying you've got all three! Why are you busy constructing teams? How does that help your thinking?

Ty4on

It's day 3. The odds you are right about one scum alone are relatively low. And yet you're saying you've got all three! Why are you busy constructing teams? How does that help your thinking?

Creates contradictions that can help my reads.

I also at least wanna try mapping the team out to deter a nk. I'm usually wrong, but it's far from impossible to map out parts of the team on D1.

CCS

Banned

To be fair, if you pick three people at random odds of getting one scum are actually not bad (assuming three scum left):

Prob (At least one scum) = 1 - 10/13*9/12*8/11
=0.58

Ty4on

To be fair, if you pick three people at random odds of getting one scum are actually not bad (assuming three scum left):

=0.58
Look up batcomputer when this day is over (it's the batman game, midseason in season 5 or 6 I think)
You still haven't answered my questions about you. Why should I town read you?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

=0.58

that's not how it works, though. by the same logic, if I say I suspect everyone remaining in the game, the odds of getting scum are one. it's true, but it isn't useful. in reality, what happens is you find one person, and start thinking they're scum, and then everything becomes a huge conspiracy, and everyone who seems vaguely friendly to them must be scum, and suddenly you have whole mafia teams leaping out in front of you. in reality, odds are you were wrong about the first person, and then, even if some of the others were scum, your reasoning for why they are is totally wrong, so it doesn't really end up persuading anyone else.

in other words, the relevant maths is not prob (at least one scum), when discussing teams, it is prob(all are correclty scum), which is:

P = 3/15 * 2/14 * 1/13
= 0.002198

which is...

not good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You still haven't answered my questions about you. Why should I town read you?

I'm not going to answer. Waste of time. I'm not analyzing my own play as town; I'm town and want to find scum and that informs all my play. You can ask me why I've voted as I've voted, or what I think of various people, and I'll answer, but I'm not doing your work for you on why I am town. That should be entirely evident from what I'm posting. If it isn't, try and persuade other people of that and get them to lynch me. Good luck.

cabot

Away from the madding crowd in a heavily guarded yet quiet room, a man stands in front of a full-length mirror. He adjusts his hair and his tie. Standing ramrod straight, he raises one hand.

"I do solemnly swear--ahem, I do, ahem, sow-len-lem-lee sowlemnly solemnly, ahem"

He sways a bit as he works his mouth.

"Solenly, no solemmmly, solemm-lee"

He squints. Is that a bead of sweat on his forehead?

A memory bubbles to the surface unbidden. He's 12 years old and his mother is combing his hair as he stands impeccably dressed. His father, arms crossed, watches on.

"Wait, are you sweating? In this climate-controlled room?"

His lips suddenly dry, he stammers out "Father, I'm nervous."

"Why would you be nervous?" his father barks out. "You've been prepared for this your whole life. You are a paragon of our kind. Men want to be you. Women want to be with you. They should be nervous. Now stand up straighter and repeat after me: They are the nervous ones."

"They are the nervous ones."

"Remember that. Now go."

A knock interrupts the man from his reverie. "Mr. President?" His Chief of Staff is at the door.

Not moving, the President snaps "what is it? Did I not ask to not be disturbed?"

"There is someone who wants to see you. I can't understand anything he's saying, but he claims to be the famous singer Robbie Williams."

"Who?"

"Exactly. Robert Peter "Robbie" Williams (born 13 February 1974) is an English singer--"

"Stop, I don't need his Wikipedia entry verbatim. He's not American. Kick him out."

"Of the area?"

"Of the country."

"Sir, I'm not sure--"

His face darkening, the President takes a menacing step forward. "Get out."

"Yessir right away sir" the Chief of Staff squeaks out, backpedaling furiously.

The President smiles. They are the nervous ones.

CornBurrito has been ejected from the game!

Greetings! Welcome to #popMAFIA!

You are Robbie Williams.

You’re the one.

Once in Take That, then not, then once again, then not again. You’ve had a tumultuous life, but you are good at taking that mess and creating some pretty catchy tunes out of it. A true ambassador of #BRITPOP. So get your best suit on, align your bowtie and get ready to #ROCKDJ.

For inspiration, your Spotify page is HERE

You are aligned with TOWN.

You are an Ordinary Villager. You wield the most deadly of powers, those of discussion and voting.

The game thread is: HERE

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM cabot.

You win when you eliminate the SCUM team.

The Night Phase is now 48 hours.

Day 4 Begins
blu_1481148000.png

The OFFICIAL #popMAFIA playlist AM I POP? has been updated. It can be found HERE.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oops, sorry cab - went for a cuppa mid post.

cabot

DAY 4 BEGINS

On a hotel balcony overlooking the Capitol, two individuals watch as the President is sworn in.

"That anthem was bloody embarrassing," said the one named Chris.

"It's a Sin, to be sure", nods the one named Neil.

A knock can be heard behind the duo. Chris turns. "Now who could that be?" He walks over and opens the door, to be met by a swarm of screaming women.

"What the-" exclaims Neil.

"Give me a hand, here!" shouts Chris. Neil rushes over and the two manage to keep the women out, slamming their door shut.

"What was that?" gasps Chris.

"West End Girls?" jokes Neil.

"Nah, too old. Definitely not a swarm of Twenty-somethings."

"How did they know where we were?" asks Neil.

"And why would they even care? We're a couple Brits in America and our biggest song was over 30 years ago!"

"Yeah I was wondering about that. Doesn't seem realistic."

Their phones buzz. Both of their eyes widen.

"Robbie Williams was kicked out? For being British? What did he do to deserve that?"

"It's not safe for us here. The crowds, the security. Let's Go West."

Haly has been ejected from the game!

You are Chris Lowe, one half of the Pet Shop Boys.

You’re a british institution. The most successful pop duo of all time. You’ve been doing this 25 years and still release some crackers.

As Chris Lowe, you’re the younger half, and you don’t do a lot of the vocals. What you lack in vocals, you make up in the use of great whacky sunglasses. #trueCHAMPION

You are a Mason. This means you are partnered with another player. You also share your alignment, so you can fully trust each other.

You also have a private chat with your Mason partner.

Coppanuva has been ejected from the game!

You are Neil Tennant, one half of the Pet Shop Boys.

You’re a british institution. The most successful pop duo of all time. You’ve been doing this 25 years and still release some crackers.

As Neil Tennant, you’re the older member. Broken free from the tethers of a strict upbringing, you continue to delight with pop releases.

You are a Mason. This means you are partnered with another player. You also share your alignment, so you can fully trust each other.

You also have a private chat with your Mason partner.

Day 4 Ends:
ora_1481407200.png

10 players remain.

6 votes for majority.

CCS

Banned
First up guys, I want to apologise for my last minute fuck up. I second guessed myself, I panicked a bit, I switched my vote to Corn and now we've lost another town. I am truly, deeply sorry for that.

I don't really know where to go from here to be honest. I truly thought both Corn and Flame were probably scum, so having to rebuild from that broken theory (at least on Corn's side) isn't easy.

I imagine I must look pretty bad right now. I actually feel pretty bad. I hate lynching innocents, especially when it's my own fault for making a stupid decision.

Masons being killed was a fairly predictable call. Sadly, not one that helps us much, except that we know that scum have a multikill.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cabot, just to confirm: these are definitely Masons and not Lovers, right? As in, if one were killed/lynched, that wouldn't automatically kill the other just by the conditions of their roles, and both would have to be killed separately?

Bronx-Man

Banned
I warn at the last minute that CB could be town that scum is trying to get rid of, Ty4on comes in and seals their fate with a turbo.

Hmmmmmm.....

acohrs

Guys I think coppanuva was trying to tell us something yesterday, I'm sure of it! Maybe the actions last night didn't kill him but something from the night before.

Ty4on

Just a pm I got last night. I don't know what it did, I was just told I don't feel right. There's a bit more flavor to it but it didn't impact me any as far as we can tell.

If it does end up being bad, haly has the pm and can distribute it. As it stands, I don't want to focus on it too much since the pm didn't really indicate what it does, and I have no way of knowing if the alignment of the role is town or not.
I hadn't seen this. This looks like it could be poison to me. Maybe they were timing it after the claim?

acohrs

Yeah, I'm curious on those two non-voters as well. Maybe this'll wake them up...

Vote: Not

Oh hey while we're still in the figuring things out phase... i Still don't feel right.

Here this post, the last line in bold. He knew something was wrong

Ty4on

Their roles don't specify that they die together right? And surely a town vigilante wouldn't be stupid enough to do that.

Surely.
I might have :p

I thought it could've been LoC, but I hadn't seen the poison message from yesterday.

acohrs

I have no idea, I hadn't seen them until now and I'm on mobile.

Found it

12-03-2016, 03:21 PM, Post #485

So whatever killed him took one day and night phase. Nobody else has reported anything similar so he must have been the first to be poisoned. Is there a chance that they can only poison one player or is it likely that they have another 'shot'?

Ty4on

Guess we'll have to wait and see if someone else reports being poisoned. It could require being charged up which would explain why nobody were poisoned on N1.

Sawneeks

Banned
Hm, that's what I was worried about. Coppa's message the other Day reminded me of the PM I got when I was poisoned in HP, although a lot more vague. RIP Coppa and Haly. :c

Also, just to be 100% clear, who did you target last night LoC?

I warn at the last minute that CB could be town that scum is trying to get rid of, Ty4on comes in and seals their fate with a turbo.

Hmmmmmm.....

Would Scum be so bold, though? Unless Flame has a really strong ability that they want to save I couldn't see Scum!Ty jumping out like that.

Speaking of which

Vote: Flame_AC

Because I didn't like that shift yesterday and there are still a lot of unanswered questions you need to respond to.

Sawneeks

Banned
First up guys, I want to apologise for my last minute fuck up. I second guessed myself, I panicked a bit, I switched my vote to Corn and now we've lost another town. I am truly, deeply sorry for that.

I don't really know where to go from here to be honest. I truly thought both Corn and Flame were probably scum, so having to rebuild from that broken theory (at least on Corn's side) isn't easy.

I imagine I must look pretty bad right now. I actually feel pretty bad. I hate lynching innocents, especially when it's my own fault for making a stupid decision.

Masons being killed was a fairly predictable call. Sadly, not one that helps us much, except that we know that scum have a multikill.

What are your thoughts on Flame and Ty?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. Interesting. LoC, did you target someone tonight? Who did you target?

I think it is unlikely scum have multikill. That is an exceptionally powerful role - it's functionally equivalent to have an extra scum player (insofar as you can win from 3 scum - 4 town for certain instead of 3 scum - 3 town). If it was a scum multikill, then there were probably only 3 scum to begin with, and now 2 remaining. But I think that is somewhat unlikely - it can make games very swingy if the multikill scum role gets lynched early before they commit to a double-kill. Works in larger games but this one is smaller and I don't think cabot would have designed it that way, though prepared to be wrong. If there is multikill, this might sound strange, but I think our job is easier rather than harder now, because I think that would heavily imply there are less scum than we thought. But again, I think this is unlikely, and that the kill came from another role.

The trouble is, that makes for a lot of killing roles. Occam's Razor: mafia has one kill, and LoC has his kills, LoC is indeed town. Mafia killing one of the Masons makes perfect sense - they're functionally confirmed town to us. But LoC wouldn't target the other one. So, you'd need a role that changes targets - a switcher. That's a common role, and plausible. Option one: they're town-aligned, and this night was just a total fuck-up from town's perspective. Option two: they're scum-aligned. Option two, I think is, less likely - if I was a Tracker or a Watcher or Voyeur or any kind of watching role, I'm probably going to be on the confirmed town. If I was a mafia switcher, I'm not going anywhere near the either of the Masons - getting caught or blocked just seemed risky. So, right now, I'm thinking most likely option is: there's a town switcher, and we had a massive fuck up.

So, other alternatives. LoC is not town - possibly neutral. I still doubt mafia multi-kill for the reasons earlier, so that leaves neutral. Serial killers claiming to be town vigilantes is super common - it's a good cover if caught, although I think risky because it invites a mafia kill. It depends how the SK plays - if they're just trying to survive and don't seem to be going after mafia, I'd let them live - faster town death rate is better scum win rate. So we have the very plausible possibility LoC is a serial killer, although two neutrals would be at least somewhat unusual for such a small game.

Final alternative: there's another killing role, either town- or neutral- aligned. Seems unlikely. If LoC is town, well, I don't think anyone is giving town two killing roles, even if the remaining one is one-shot or has heavy restrictions. Another neutral killing role is possible, but again, by rule of simplest, LoC being the neutral killing role if there is one is more plausible.

I think in terms of likeliness:

1. Town switcher fucked up
2. LoC is neutral killer
3. There is a mafia switcher
4. There is a neutral killer that is not LoC
5. There is a mafia multi-kill / there is another town killing role.

Otherwise, not informative for town out of the night itself, which is unfortunate. The Masons claiming so early I think was a mistake, they were a very easy and attractive kill, and even if say Haly had died early, Coppa could have claimed mason later on and it would have needed a scum counterclaim, so losing one would not have been the end of the world - plus that assumes that we actually did lynch Haly; I think he's a good enough player to defend himself (or LoC shoots him, but then the prior argument still applies). So I think not the best play - and this seems to be recurring theme for town, with LoC NKing earlier and people not posting much and arguments for No Lynches and what not. I think we really need to get our act together.

I do want to hear from LoC very much now, though. I want to know his target.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I missed discussion of Coppanuva's PM. Okay, that explains even more why Haly was killed, then. Hrm. Poisoner is a plausible multi-kill because the slow delay makes it much less useful - gives people time to claim and so on, so can't really be a sudden strikes against potential cops and the like. So scratch that, definitely a possibility. Nobody has said anything about receiving another PM though, so tentatively going to call it a one-shot.

But I still want to know what LoC did.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
oh and VOTE: Burbeting

because I stand by what I said yesterday and also I think the kill pattern is more and more revealing relatively experienced scum. Don't think this is their first rodeo by any means.

Ty4on

Would Scum be so bold, though? Unless Flame has a really strong ability that they want to save I couldn't see Scum!Ty jumping out like that.
I jumped out 10 seconds before the timer went out btw :p

I thought they were tied actually and preferred the Corn lynch. Forgot CCS' vote flipped the score.

VOTE: CCS
I like when people answer me right away. You're usually pretty active.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I thought they were tied actually and preferred the Corn lynch. Forgot CCS' vote flipped the score.

Why are you voting CCS? Like, yes, he flipped the lynch. But we don't know Flame's alignment. It's pretty plausible we flipped from one town to another town, especially given that was only Day 3. Unless you are convinced that Flame is scum, there's no specific reason to suppose CCS is scum. And if you are convinced that Flame is scum, why are you not starting there?

acohrs

Hm, that's what I was worried about. Coppa's message the other Day reminded me of the PM I got when I was poisoned in HP, although a lot more vague. RIP Coppa and Haly. :c

Also, just to be 100% clear, who did you target last night LoC?

Speaking of which

Vote: Flame_AC

Because I didn't like that shift yesterday and there are still a lot of unanswered questions you need to respond to.

Agree that flame still has some questions to answer, especially voting for Haly to be lynched the day before the night cycle that he was killed.

Start talking Flame or I am going to vote for you too

CCS

Banned
Last post of the night before bed, I'll catch up in the morning.

What are your thoughts on Flame and Ty?

I still think Flame may well be scum, but I'm slightly less sure than before. Simply because now it seems like even if he is then two scum have managed to go under the radar, so it's possible we're barking up completely the wrong tree before.

Is this because of the score flip? Not too fussed, just want to know :p

Ty4on

Why are you voting CCS? Like, yes, he flipped the lynch. But we don't know Flame's alignment. It's pretty plausible we flipped from one town to another town, especially given that was only Day 3. Unless you are convinced that Flame is scum, there's no specific reason to suppose CCS is scum. And if you are convinced that Flame is scum, why are you not starting there?

Is this because of the score flip? Not too fussed, just want to know :p

Whoops, brain fart. Forgot you had answered me >_>

UNVOTE

To answer you Crab I didn't like that he speculated on scum double kill without speculating on the method they used

Ty4on

And I don't really think Flame is scum. Not that I really have a town read on him, but if I felt he was likely scum I wouldn't have voted Corn yesterday.

Ty4on

Oh, I missed discussion of Coppanuva's PM. Okay, that explains even more why Haly was killed, then. Hrm. Poisoner is a plausible multi-kill because the slow delay makes it much less useful - gives people time to claim and so on, so can't really be a sudden strikes against potential cops and the like. So scratch that, definitely a possibility. Nobody has said anything about receiving another PM though, so tentatively going to call it a one-shot.

But I still want to know what LoC did.

How did you miss Coppa claiming he didn't feel well?

I'm kinda scratching my head as to why I didn't see it, but I figured people playing at the time would have noticed.

Bronx-Man

Banned
And I don't really think Flame is scum. Not that I really have a town read on him, but if I felt he was likely scum I wouldn't have voted Corn yesterday.
It's been almost a full week and we still have nothing from him.

VOTE: Flame_AC

Top Bottom