• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Creamium said:
Started playing this today and couldn't tear myself away from it. Puzzles are even better than the first game. I'm stuck for the first time though (ch8).
I need to get to a switch with 3 turrets guarding it. Most likely scenario is that I have to drop blue gel on the turrets to knock them off, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can't get the gel to go where I want it to.
With all the puzzles the solution clicks after a few minutes of wandering around, but not here it seems.

I'm stuck at this puzzle. I've managed not to use a guide or hints so far and I never did for the first one, so I'm not starting now. I get the feeling there is something I'm not seeing.

A Human Becoming said:
I'm stuck at this puzzle. I've managed not to use a guide or hints so far and I never did for the first one, so I'm not starting now. I get the feeling there is something I'm not seeing.
Ask yourself what the point of that big button is when there's no boxes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bless noclip. Even if you can choose chapters in documentary mode, without proper saving you may still need to replay a considerable section of a puzzle after dying by a misstep near the end of an area.

Anyone wanna play through co-op with me? I don't have a mic unfortunately and I'm not the brightest but I think we can get through it without you punching me through the monitor. :p

KAL2006

Banned
OK so I just finished Portal 1 10mins ago and I thought it was decent. How much better is Portal 2, and is it more of the same or does it add other things.

KAL2006 said:
OK so I just finished Portal 1 10mins ago and I thought it was decent. How much better is Portal 2, and is it more of the same or does it add other things.

Adds other things and is exactly 217.895% better than Portal 1.

StuBurns

Banned
KAL2006 said:
It adds other mechanics, still the same foundation of puzzles based on modifying the environment for traversal and test chamber solving. You get more tools to modify with though.

KAL2006

Banned
StuBurns said:
It adds other mechanics, still the same foundation of puzzles based on modifying the environment for traversal and test chamber solving. You get more tools to modify with though.

Cool, Portal 1 only took me about 2-3 hours to finish, how long is Portal 2's singleplayer mode

StuBurns

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Cool, Portal 1 only took me about 2-3 hours to finish, how long is Portal 2's singleplayer mode
A little more than double I'd say. Took me seven, but it took me three to do Portal first time.

Grisby

KAL2006 said:

Definitely adds some new mechanics or toys, if you will. The first chapter or two is a bit boring but if you stick with it the game becomes pretty good.

I beat it in about 7-8 hours I think? You can probably get about 3-4 out of the co-op but I haven't played that mode yet.

JWong

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Depends on how much you enjoy playing with others, but yeah, its a blast. Highly recommend using a headset and playing with someone you know.
I actually recommend no headset and just using the gestures and markers to communicate.

My partner and I don't even type on the keyboard even if we're extremely confused.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Green Scar said:
That's what I did today. The commentary is so infrequent it's basically like doing a normal run :lol
Yeah I was contemplating giving up and seeing the commentary clips on youtube, but I was enjoying the second run-through enough to keep going.

ckohler

Just FYI but listening to commentary prevents your ability to collect achievements. So, don't try doing both at once (like I did).

Dabanton

Jut finished this about 20 mins ago what a great game.

I must say having a complete media blackout has made the game more enjoyable for me.

Haven't seen a single trailer or read an article on the game so everything was a surprise this time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dabanton said:
Jut finished this about 20 mins ago what a great game.

I must say having a complete media blackout has made the game more enjoyable for me.

Haven't seen a single trailer or read an article on the game so everything was a surprise this time.
I did the same because that's how I went into Portal 1 and I have no regrets, it was awesome going into 2 knowing nothing except that there were 2 new robots (I didn't even know they were co-op only). I do feel like reading what went on with the ARG, good thing there's a wiki for it.

Magnus

How in the world did people finish this in 6 hours? I thought I was near the end (probably about 10 hours in) and just hit Chapter
8...and a whole 'nother set of 19 puzzles show up courtesy of our new villain?

Man....lol For all I know, I'm only halfway.

Symphonic

Magnus said:
How in the world did people finish this in 6 hours? I thought I was near the end (probably about 10 hours in) and just hit Chapter
8...and a whole 'nother set of 19 puzzles show up courtesy of our new villain?

Man....lol For all I know, I'm only halfway.

That's a bit slow. Well, more than a bit slow. I think people are averaging 6 or 7 hours.

feel

I'm sorry for this, but can someone tell me real quick by pm what the general consensus is on which console version is the one to get if you compare them from the technical standpoint?? Just visuals, resolution, load times, framerate, etc, not counting features. I've been mostly away from gaming and its news for a while due to the death of a direct relative so I have no clue of whats been going on (other than Portal 2 came out and it's great and that there's a new Nintendo home console coming). I'm avoiding going to comparison sites because they spoil locations with their pics. I would prefer getting the replies by private message so other people reading this thread don't get mad at me, I know how this kind of post is looked at. Thanks.

(don't have a gaming pc)

loblaw said:
That's a bit slow. Well, more than a bit slow. I think people are averaging 6 or 7 hours.

I clocked in at about 9. I can see how people did less though, especially if they weren't super interested in the dialog. A lot of times I simply stopped to continue listening.

StuBurns

Banned
Letters said:
I'm sorry for this, but can someone tell me real quick by pm what the general consensus is on which console version is the one to get if you compare them from the technical standpoint?? Just visuals, resolution, load times, framerate, etc, not counting features. I've been mostly away from gaming and its news for a while due to the death of a direct relative so I have no clue of whats been going on (other than Portal 2 came out and it's great and that there's a new Nintendo home console coming). I'm avoiding going to comparison sites because they spoil locations with their pics. I would prefer getting the replies by private message so other people reading this thread don't get mad at me, I know how this kind of post is looked at. Thanks.

(don't have a gaming pc)
The PS3 version is better. They run the same with the same assets at the same resolution but the PS3 version has better image quality.

And fuck people who complain about your question.

Finished SP today, loved it. Brilliant levels, funny, a decent length, awesome music and looked stunning. I am in fact very surprised at how well it looks and runs on console (PS3 here). I was half expected a framerate disaster to be honest, but its a solid 30fps. Only a couple of minor gripes really:

I used to like the mid-air portal switching in the original game and there isn't much of it here. In fact I felt the puzzles were a little on the easy side this time, maybe that's just me. Secondly, I still don't think Valve are brilliant are doing boss fights. It's better than HL2 and P1, but it's still a bit clunky compared to the rest of the game.

I just want to jump into co-op now, but PSN is still fucked. Trophy hunting it is :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:

(don't have a gaming pc)
I played through on PS3 so my housemates could watch on the lounge room screen and it was fantastic. It is, according to Digital Foundry, the all-round better console version.

Medalion

Banned
Letters said:

(don't have a gaming pc)
It is generally accepted the PS3 version is superior in not just graphics, but experience, short of the PC obviously, because it was worked on with more favor by Valve than the 360 version, you can find comparison screenshots to. The game runs at 720p on the PS3, I think the 360 versions are upscaled to 720p or 1080i.

kylej

Banned
Ah, been so long since I've played a Valve product. They are too damn good. I too went on media blackout before launch and I've really been blown away by the variety of environments and... events.

Started a playthrough of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 and wow it feels dated after playing Portal 2. Can't imagine how Half Life 3 will look with all of these improvements in the tech.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just beat it. Game is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo good. The part that made me laugh the most was right around the end.

GlaDOS: Oh no, this is the part where he kills us!
Wheatley: Hello, this is the part where I kill you!

Text on screen: Chapter 9: The Part Where He Kills You

I nearly died in the game because I was too busy laughing! XD

StuBurns

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Just beat it. Game is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo good. The part that made me laugh the most was right around the end.

GlaDOS: Oh no, this is the part where he kills us!
Wheatley: Hello, this is the part where I kill you!

Text on screen: Chapter 9: The Part Where He Kills You

I nearly died in the game because I was too busy laughing! XD
There's the achievement/trophy that comes up just after saying it too.

woolley

Does anyone else think that the developer commentary is put into the game poorly? It's nice to have insight into what when into the game but if you have to leave a chapter halfway through you have to play the whole chapter again through the commentary option instead of just loading the last save spot. And if you die at the very end of a puzzle you have to do the whole thing again and that gets really annoying to do with puzzles that take a long time to get everything set up the way it needs to be.

Edit: I know it's just some bonus content but it's just the one thing in the game that was done poorly.

woolley said:
Does anyone else think that the developer commentary is put into the game poorly? It's nice to have insight into what when into the game but if you have to leave a chapter halfway through you have to play the whole chapter again through the commentary option instead of just loading the last save spot. And if you die at the very end of a puzzle you have to do the whole thing again and that gets really annoying to do with puzzles that take a long time to get everything set up the way it needs to be.

Edit: I know it's just some bonus content but it's just the one thing in the game that was done poorly.

YES there needs to be a counter next to each chapter that shows you how many boxes you have listened to how many you have left and it should gray out when you are done, its kind of hard to come back and figure out exactly where you were.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just entered Chapter
. I'm not really feeling the
"find an obscure patch in the wall that you can shoot, then you can proceed to the next test chamber" Once I get passed all that garbage, the "test chambers" are great.

alr1ghtstart said:
Just entered Chapter
"find an obscure patch in the wall that you can shoot, then you can proceed to the next test chamber" Once I get passed all that garbage, the "test chambers" are great.

I agree 100%
While I appreciated the back story and seeing the history.. It was just to different for me. I enjoy the test chamber to test chamber progression, the test spheres and old areas seemed to open for my liking.

alr1ghtstart said:
Just entered Chapter
Yeah I wasn't digging that either. That whole section seemed like a bit of a lull in the game. Up to chapter
now, and it just keeps getting better :D

Epix

Just finished. What a great game.

The amazing new tech and cinematic set pieces make me drool over what's coming for HL3

If anyone's interested in playing some coop, I'm looking for someone who's beaten the SP but has none or very little time with the coop maps. Want to keep it fresh.

SteamID = Epix10

Cipherr

alr1ghtstart said:
Just entered Chapter

I found those some of the most challenging. They go HARD on those areas the further you get too. Just you wait, theres some fucking hard ones thatll take a while to figure out.

I loved those honestly, theres no blue orb talking you through it, no ratman signs says "Up here" no hand holding, no nothing. Just you there, forced to take in every texture, every wall, every angle in the freaking zone and figure out how to make it to the elevator. Awesome. The first game didnt have difficulty like that. They still left in some subtle tells for areas where you could portal, like lights illuminating the areas. And those pop up queues telling you how to zoom. Had they removed those it would have been perfect.

Magnus

Yeah, stuck again. Just too stupid for some of these, I guess. :)

Chapter
8, Wheatley's puzzles. I think this'd be 16/19, but I can't tell since it's the first one without a numbered sign at the start. He's starting to lose control of the facility. It's the second Wheatley puzzle with gel involved, namely, blue goo, suspension beams and three turrets on the other side of a forcefield that'll massacre me fast if I try to go for a switch they're facing.

The worst part is, I have no idea what the switch will even do, but it's the only thing left to touch or use in the test room, so it must be the answer. Haha.

Forkball

Magnus said:
Yeah, stuck again. Just too stupid for some of these, I guess. :)

Chapter
8, Wheatley's puzzles. I think this'd be 16/19, but I can't tell since it's the first one without a numbered sign at the start. He's starting to lose control of the facility. It's the second Wheatley puzzle with gel involved, namely, blue goo, suspension beams and three turrets on the other side of a forcefield that'll massacre me fast if I try to go for a switch they're facing.

The worst part is, I have no idea what the switch will even do, but it's the only thing left to touch or use in the test room, so it must be the answer. Haha.
I think I know this one.

Go across to the blue gel area. Put the beam so it will take you back to the other side, and then hit the gel button. Jump up in the beam, and the blue goo will follow you. When you get to the other side, get out, and stand on the button. It will reverse the direction. Wait until the blue goo is almost at the generator, then portal to a wall above and to the side of the turrets. Then step off the button, and let the gel travel. When the gel is above the turrets, portal somewhere else and let the gel fall on the turrets, killing them. It may take more than one try to get them all.

Top Bottom