• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

I beat this game late last night and I cant get over how amazing the game was. I liked the original but I love this one. I cant stop thinking about it. One of my top 10, maybe even 5 best games I have ever played.

Dumb question: Can I play co-op with me on my PS3 copy and my brother on PC with my Steam copy? I have the one Steam account for both so I'm assuming "No." I'm thinking if I use a different PSN ID and associate it with a new Steam ID I could though, right? I tried playing the co-op on Steam with strangers but it was horrible and I'd rather share this experience with my little brother.

StuBurns

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Dumb question, can I play co-op with me on my PS3 copy and my brother on PC with my Steam copy? I have the one Steam account for both so I'm assuming "No." I'm thinking if I use a different PSN ID and associate it with a new Steam ID I could though, right? I tried playing the co-op on Steam with strangers but it was horrible and I'd rather share this experience with my little brother.
You have to do it as you imagined yeah, different PSN/Steam ID.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
grap3fruitman said:
Dumb question, can I play co-op with me on my PS3 copy and my brother on PC with my Steam copy? I have the one Steam account for both so I'm assuming "No." I'm thinking if I use a different PSN ID and associate it with a new Steam ID I could though, right? I tried playing the co-op on Steam with strangers but it was horrible and I'd rather share this experience with my little brother.

Yep.

Edit: Ninja'd.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
grap3fruitman said:
If the Steam IDs are different than the one you have linked to your PSN you can do it but you can't play with the same Steam ID.

EDIT: Beaten badly

question about co-op: I have beaten all the levels (have the achievement), sections 1-4 with one partner and 5 with another. The person I beat 5 with wanted to go back to the start so we went to section 1 and it was just the room where you get the disc and then you blow up. Do I have to do the calibration course with that person to access all the levels or am I missing something?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
JimWood27 said:
question about co-op: I have beaten all the levels (have the achievement), sections 1-4 with one partner and 5 with another. The person I beat 5 with wanted to go back to the start so we went to section 1 and it was just the room where you get the disc and then you blow up. Do I have to do the calibration course with that person to access all the levels or am I missing something?
Before the elevators to each area, there's a panel/screen that pops up on the left that will let you choose different levels.

Question about commentary mode, does it track your progress at all? does the game still pop up and say Chapter 1,2,3 etc.. so I know when I am done with one section.

??

thanks guys

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
JetBlackPanda said:
Question about commentary mode, does it track your progress at all? does the game still pop up and say Chapter 1,2,3 etc.. so I know when I am done with one section.

??

thanks guys
It does. As far as I can tell, commentary mode is exactly the same as playing it regularly (such as actions still counting towards achievements) except you can't save manually. D: So you have to play each chapter in one sitting... which is bizarre.

Thanks for the info guys, does it mark that I have completed a chapter on the chapter select screen? or do I just need to remember where I am?

Exuro

Dax01 said:
How am I going to get the Professor Portal achievement? Hm...
Been wondering this as well. Seems like a lame achievement to have in the game. All of my friends have already started co-op and those who haven't want to start it with someone else who hasn't played yet which I can't blame them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started playing this today and couldn't tear myself away from it. Puzzles are even better than the first game. I'm stuck for the first time though (ch8).
I need to get to a switch with 3 turrets guarding it. Most likely scenario is that I have to drop blue gel on the turrets to knock them off, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can't get the gel to go where I want it to.
With all the puzzles the solution clicks after a few minutes of wandering around, but not here it seems.

StuBurns

Banned
Creamium said:
Started playing this today and couldn't tear myself away from it. Puzzles are even better than the first game. I'm stuck for the first time though (ch8).
I need to get to a switch with 3 turrets guarding it. Most likely scenario is that I have to drop blue gel on the turrets to knock them off, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can't get the gel to go where I want it to.
With all the puzzles the solution clicks after a few minutes of wandering around, but not here it seems.
Want a clue?

Get in the 'light tube' with the goo

Creamium said:
You're moments away from an epiphany

Creamium said:

That was the point on my first playthrough where I stopped playing and went to bed.

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, i want to play this so bad. I have to wait another month or two before i can. I dove right into the original too. It feels so wrong that i'm not playing it!

Divius

Dax01 said:
How am I going to get the Professor Portal achievement? Hm...
I asked someone in my friends list (who I knew hadn't played the game yet as he was finishing up Portal 1) to let me know when he wanted to play co-op and better not fucking dare playing with someone else then me the first time. Kinda glad I got this early, I could see it being more difficult after a few weeks or apparently even now already.

I think there are still some people on GAF who need to play for the first time, just ask around and add them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
NullPointer said:
You're moments away from an epiphany

Yep! After closing this window and returning to the game, it all fell into place.
get into the stream before the paint!

This is an incredibly ingenious puzzle and maybe the best one in the game so far.

Vyer

Beat it today. Absolutely great.

Also beat most of the co-op with a friend last night. I absolutely love the Portal story/characters after this. Just awesome.

Finished the singleplayer game today, really enjoyed it, the characters and their dialogue put it way over the original, the only thing that annoyed me was the constant loading, especially towards the end. The load times were quick but they broke the immersion in key areas towards the end specifically during the sequence when
Wheatley springs his trap and you are trying to escape/get to his lair
. Great game, can't wait to try co-op mode out.

robotrock

Banned
So er, I was going to do a dev commentary run, but then I saw something like "You can't save." Is there still auto save in dev commentary mode?

Cipherr

Awwwwesome. Man that was freaking great. Finished the SP. Still havent played any coop but damn SP was awesome man. Steam says time played is 8 hours. That ending was something else man. Really awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Creamium said:
Cough, button, cough
I'm surprised that this puzzle stumped so many people. It was definitely the easiest of
Wheatley's
for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
robotrock said:
So er, I was going to do a dev commentary run, but then I saw something like "You can't save." Is there still auto save in dev commentary mode?
Huh, good to know. I'll have to save the dev commentary for a boring afternoon or something.

Just finished it. What an ending.

Must say the game got much better after
Wheatley took over
as I found
the opening act very hand-holdy and having a bad plot to puzzle ratio.

gdt

No saving in Commentary mode? WTF? The game is like 8-9 hours long dammit.

Edit: Ahh, ok, just take it chapter by chapter.

StuBurns said:
You can pick chapters though right? Once you've done them they're only like half hour chunks.

Yeah you can, that's how I've been doing it. You never have to replay that much but it can be annoying when you have to quit and end up forgetting which chapter you were on.

KaYotiX

Banned
gdt5016 said:
No saving in Commentary mode? WTF? The game is like 8-9 hours long dammit.

Edit: Ahh, ok, just take it chapter by chapter.

like others have said before you can choose each chapter for it so no need for saving

KaYotiX said:
like others have said before you can choose each chapter for it so no need for saving

This is true, the only thing it needs is a 10/10 type counter next to the chapter so I know I got them all and I'm done with that chapter..

I only need four more achievements in Portal 2: Still Alive, Triple Crown, Professor Portal, and Friends List with Benefits.

I can do "Still Alive" (though that will take some serious doing, it's gonna be so hard) and "Triple Crown" with a friend of mine. All I have to do for "Friends List with Benefits" is get together with some people on my friends list (or anyone on GAF).

The only really troublesome one is "Professor Portal." Jeez. That's gonna be tough.

"Still Alive" isn't too tough. Me and a friend did a practice run, learned the maps, then it's fairly simple. There's no risk of death in most of them unless you're stupid.

I wish they had more achievements though, it was so fun doing that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it.
Portal to the moon, wow

So how does the co-op campaign compare to solo? I've heard it's more difficult, but is it more fun?

Salsa

Creamium said:
Finished it.
Portal to the moon, wow

So how does the co-op campaign compare to solo? I've heard it's more difficult, but is it more fun?

Depends on how much you enjoy playing with others, but yeah, its a blast. Highly recommend using a headset and playing with someone you know.

seat

Anyone looking for a partner on 360 who's also new at co-op? I finished the single player achievements and want to attack the co-op, but I'm still new at the mode.

gamertag: deepseated

Dax01 said:
The only really troublesome one is "Professor Portal." Jeez. That's gonna be tough.
Someone got that achievement with me last night since I was new at co-op. He forced me to rush through it and I didn't have any time to enjoy the first part of co-op. And then when he got the achievement, he immediately quit, of course.

Salsa

seat said:
Someone got that achievement with me last night since I was new at co-op. He forced me to rush through it and I didn't have any time to enjoy the first part of co-op. And then when he got the achievement, he immediately quit, of course.

whore.

Top Bottom