• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Cipherr

Forkball said:
I think I know this one.

Go across to the blue gel area. Put the beam so it will take you back to the other side, and then hit the gel button. Jump up in the beam, and the blue goo will follow you. When you get to the other side, get out, and stand on the button. It will reverse the direction. Wait until the blue goo is almost at the generator, then portal to a wall above and to the side of the turrets. Then step off the button, and let the gel travel. When the gel is above the turrets, portal somewhere else and let the gel fall on the turrets, killing them. It may take more than one try to get them all.

That one took me a bit to figure out too, good puzzle.

Magnus

Forkball said:
I think I know this one.

Go across to the blue gel area. Put the beam so it will take you back to the other side, and then hit the gel button. Jump up in the beam, and the blue goo will follow you. When you get to the other side, get out, and stand on the button. It will reverse the direction. Wait until the blue goo is almost at the generator, then portal to a wall above and to the side of the turrets. Then step off the button, and let the gel travel. When the gel is above the turrets, portal somewhere else and let the gel fall on the turrets, killing them. It may take more than one try to get them all.

I was definitely thinking that the solution had to involve getting the
gel to the area above the turrets and wiping them out.

It's pretty terrible that I still can't figure out how to do that even after you've explained it though, hahaha. I mean, once you create portals to move yourself around, you're just screwing with the pathing of the gel, aren't you? I don't see how to get it and you to the same place.

Forkball

Cipherr said:
That one took me a bit to figure out too, good puzzle.
Yes, I too was stuck on it for the longest time.

Anyways, I beat single player and multiplayer, so I wanna talk about the future of Portal 2.

It's pretty clear that Valve plans to support the co-op mode, otherwise they wouldn't have all these aesthetic stuff for the robots. There's really no point in playing co-op once you figured out the solution, so Valve has to get us to come back with new test chambers. There's a lot of potential for new areas, since each area really focused on only one element, and the gel area didn't even have white gel. I'd like them to mix the different elements together more often, which would open up for a lot of new puzzle possibilities. Hopefully Valve can release a new chamber with eight or so rooms every few months, I would certainly boot up Portal 2 to check them out again. Plus, Valve has to do something in order for us to buy those hats and flags!

gel to the area above the turrets and wiping them out.

It's pretty terrible that I still can't figure out how to do that even after you've explained it though, hahaha. I mean, once you create portals to move yourself around, you're just screwing with the pathing of the gel, aren't you? I don't see how to get it and you to the same place.

You don't need the tunnel to go to the gel area, you can just portal yourself over there. Then make the tunnel go back to where you were, and the gel will ride with you. So you are going back to the starting area now. When you can jump onto a surface, go quickly to the button and it will reverse direction. The gel will go back to the gel area, but it will go through your portal and back to the tunnel machine since you have to put a portal across from it. When it is near the machine, you use your second portal to put it above the turrets, and then step off the button so the tunnel turns blue again and then it will follow the path above the turrets.

Magnus

Oh man, just got it. So simple. Wow.

Thanks guys.

But now I Have no idea to get to the exit. I shouldn't be playing this at 1am. My brain is so fried. lol

big ander

I have to wait to continue co-op with a friend, but I did my second playthrough today. It wasn't even on purpose, I just started up the game while bored and then felt compelled to go all the way through. So freaking magnificently splendiferous.

ZeroRay

Magnus said:
Oh man, just got it. So simple. Wow.

Thanks guys.

But now I Have no idea to get to the exit. I shouldn't be playing this at 1am. My brain is so fried. lol

Took almost as long to find how to leave as it did to
take out the turrets

The solution was simpler than the crazy ideas I had in my head, that's for sure.

Aselith

Anyone getting nothing happening on the- (end of game spoilers):
Wheatley fight? I just run around while nothing happens and Wheatley yells at me and then I keel over dead after a while.

This has gotta be a bug, right? Is it just my copy or is it happening for a lot of people? I'm playing the PS3 version. Punishment from Gabe for playing the wrong version?

LProtag

Aselith said:
Wheatley fight? I just run around while nothing happens and Wheatley yells at me and then I keel over dead after a while.

This has gotta be a bug, right? Is it just my copy or is it happening for a lot of people? I'm playing the PS3 version. Punishment from Gabe for playing the wrong version?

Is he shooting bombs at you? You've got to stand behind the white gel thing to make it crack open.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aselith said:

Isn't
he shooting bombs at you? You use those to make portal surfaces.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The part where the 'bad' turrets first showed up was so great, I was laughing out loud at every line as they got flung into the garbage, and when they finally weren't. 'I'm a bad man!'

Aselith said:
No,it isn't. I know it's SUPPOSED to be due to the dialogue but nothing is happening at all.
Had this happen to me too on the PS3. It really made that part incredibly frustrating, and eventually after continually dying and reloading I
just had to just stand behind the gel tube for a while and eventually an invisible bomb magically broke it. Then for the actual fight, I had to put a portal directly under Wheatley, and wait for the audio cues for the bombs, place the other one directly under me and run hoping that an unseen bomb would register with the portal and hit him. After a ton of re-loads I eventually beat it, but it sucks cause it made me get sick of what would have been some funny dialogue if the boss battle was actually working.

Aselith

Big Icarus said:
Had this happen to me too on the PS3. It really made that part incredibly frustrating, and eventually after continually dying and reloading I
just had to just stand behind the gel tube for a while and eventually an invisible bomb magically broke it. Then for the actual fight, I had to put a portal directly under Wheatley, and wait for the audio cues for the bombs, place the other one directly under me and run hoping that an unseen bomb would register with the portal and hit him. After a ton of re-loads I eventually beat it, but it sucks cause it made me get sick of what would have been some funny dialogue if the boss battle was actually working.

Thanks for the help but there's no way I'm going to spoil the game for myself by doing that. I'd rather start over on PC and have only moderately bad memories of the fact that this happened.

Aselith said:
Thanks for the help but there's no way I'm going to spoil the game for myself by doing that. I'd rather start over on PC and have only moderately bad memories of the fact that this happened.
Try reloading a save just before the fight and see what happens.

Aselith said:
I just had to power through it though, out of fear that the ending might be spoiled for me if I didn't beat it ASAP. The glitch
making the boss actually really much more difficult than it was intended to be
ironically made seeing that ending that much more satisfying.

Also, it made me hate Wheatley.

Aselith

CrookedRain said:
Try reloading a save just before the fight and see what happens.

This worked! Big thanks goes out to you. Guess I should have thought of that but I didn't think it would have the old saves on PS3. I figured it just kept overwriting a single autosave.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just ran all the way through the co-op campaign with a friend of mine from start to finish.

That was a ton of fun! Some of the puzzles were just genius, and it's always a lot of fun to laugh at things with a friend. I expected it would be somewhat frustrating going in, but it was incredibly well done.

According to Steam it took me 9 hours to finish the single player campaign, and now my clock is at 14 hours, so it took us about 5 hours to finish the co-op campaign. I've still only got half of the achievements, though, and I want to do a commentary run, too.

It's really amazing what Valve has achieved with this game. Everything about it just feels really special.

Milpool

ckohler said:
Just FYI but listening to commentary prevents your ability to collect achievements. So, don't try doing both at once (like I did).

Was this patched in? Because any achievements I got here that was earned after 'Lunacy' was earned in commentary mode. (PC version)

&Divius said:
I believe it's for
GlaDoS
and it's fairly easy.

Its for
GlaDoS
and its easy, I got it on my 3rd try. I have just got all of the single player Trophies now, I am surprised I managed to get them, thought there would be some nails ones in there. After doing Overclocker, I want time trials for all of the maps, that would be ace. It kinda reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus at little bit, eeking out every last second.

Come back PSN, need you now to play co-op!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Did the gels underwhelm anyone? I dunno if its just me, but I was constantly reminded of the original game that was made by those Digipen students that showcased their stuff at IGF/GDC a few years back.

I think it was this?
https://www.digipen.edu/studentprojects/tag/

Its probably because it didn't feel as "new" to me because I knew the history behind the mechanic. I read that Valve brought them on for this for this reason, which is cool, but again, I blame knowing about it. I feel like my mind wasn't blown as much as I'd like, so I'm trying to figure out why.

Hopefully PSN will be back up soon for some co-op fun.

Medalion

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Did the gels underwhelm anyone? I dunno if its just me, but I was constantly reminded of the original game that was made by those Digipen students that showcased their stuff at IGF/GDC a few years back.

I think it was this?

Its probably because it didn't feel as "new" to me because I knew the history behind the mechanic. I read that Valve brought them on for this for this reason, which is cool, but again, I blame knowing about it. I feel like my mind wasn't blown as much as I'd like, so I'm trying to figure out why.

I was underwhelmed becuz I saw the clips from last years E3 which spoiled the new gameplay additions, not cuz they werent fun

AcridMeat

Banned
Just went through the co-op in one sitting for the first time, bringing my portal 2 to a close. What a brilliant piece of work. Some of those co-op puzzles were fantastic.

Kuraudo said:
Quick question:

Chapter

Is there a way to leave test chamber 7 with the companion cube?

yep..

. Complete the puzzle as normal. When you go through the broken exit door and start to walk through the corridor you'll see a Portal-able wall, shoot at it. Walk back to the level, drop and get the cube, then fire another portal at any wall. Carry cube through...

Kuraudo

Banned
KennyLinder said:
yep..

. Complete the puzzle as normal. When you go through the broken exit door and start to walk through the corridor you'll see a Portal-able wall, shoot at it. Walk back to the level, drop and get the cube, then fire another portal at any wall. Carry cube through...

Is was that easy?

Spent ages positioning the cube just right on the button so I could bend down and pick it up from the upper platform lol

Kuraudo said:
Is was that easy?

Spent ages positioning the cube just right on the button so I could bend down and pick it up from the upper platform lol

Same here LOL. Then I turned around to give up, and thought Hold on a minute, I wonder if ... Bam! There it is! :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kuraudo said:
Is was that easy?

Haha, I spent a good 20 or so minutes trying various things to get it to the upper-most platform before wandering toward the elevator and seeing the wall. I felt like banging my head on the desk.

Feindflug

Guys I have a question, I'm currently at Chapter 7 in the SP but a friend who already finished the game (twice) is pushing me to start the co-op campaign..are there any spoilers in the co-op campaign for someone like me who hasn't finished the SP yet?

Thanks in advance. :)

woolley

Feindflug said:
Guys I have a question, I'm currently at Chapter 7 in the SP but a friend who already finished the game (twice) is pushing me to start the co-op campaign..are there any spoilers in the co-op campaign for someone like me who hasn't finished the SP yet?

Thanks in advance. :)
I don't think there are any huge spoilers but the co-op story would make a little more sense if you beat the single player first.

Feindflug

woolley said:
I don't think there are any huge spoilers but the co-op story would make a little more sense if you beat the single player first.

OK so I guess I'll probably start the co-op campaign today...thanks man. :)

Tawpgun

I would pay for a DLC co-op pack that incorporates more timed, reflex, precision puzzles. Like ones where you both have to be flying through the air and giving each other portals or something.

Also, having replayed Portal 1 in about an hour and a half... How the hell was Portal 1 harder? You say the Portal 1 puzzles had more of a reflex thing associated with them? Pssh, hardly. YOu had all the time in the world to place your portal on those.

Portal 2 was by FAR the more challenging version. It baffles me that people think otherwise. Oh. And Portal 2 is also significantly funnier. Humor in Portal 1 is there but its MUCH more subtle. I guess some people liked that better, but I for one loved all the funnies in Portal 2 a lot more than the original.

It's a VERY hard thing for a sequel to surpass the original thing, but Portal 2 has done it in basically every aspect.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was really enjoying the game up to
the bouncy gel puzzles
. For me they created tedious puzzles with frustrating controls. I enjoyed the way they took you through
aperture offices, telling you the background of the company through the enviornment and the recordings
but I just didn't enjoy the puzzles in that part and thought they were lacking compared to the rest of the game.

Speaking of which, overall I haven't enjoyed the puzzles as much as I did with portal 1. A lot seem like rehashes of the original portal's ideas with added layers. That's all fine and dandy for one or two puzzles but the vast majority of the puzzles so far seem that way and so far portal 2 doesn't have that "wow" gameplay feel of the first.

I'm enjoying the characters and the ride, and portal 2 is still a very god game, but i'm just not enjoying it as much as the first one. Though portal 1 is one of my favorite games ever so maybe my expectations are a little to high.

Another thing, this game really REALLY makes me want a half-life 3 or at least episode 3.

Edit: I'm still on chapter
so a I have a while to go before I make my final opinion.

Completed the single player campaign, ::end game spoilers::

I loved the final boss battle, the format made it feel really classic. Though the whole "putting corrupt cores into Wheatley" idea had nothing to do with his demise in the end, portalling the Moon was awesome as fuck.

And I'm glad GLaDOS didn't turn bad again, I was worried she would and it would negate all the quality time spent with her as a potato.

Such a great game all round, though the puzzles at the end were starting to feel a little tedious as I just wanted to get to the levels that progressed the story. And I also think it was incredible that they managed to squeeze all of the history of the company in. I think the backstory is quite under appreciated for how much thought has been put into it all.

And I have a question about the multiplayer campaign - is there much of a story in it, or is it bare bones puzzle solving like the first half of Portal 1? It would be nice if there were some nods to past events as it's set after the single player campaign's timeline, right?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Picked this up on Friday, and I've pretty much fallen in love with this game. Played about 3 hours worth of co-op with my buddy yesterday, and I'm still working my way through single player.

StuBurns

Banned
Ellis Kim said:

I think it was this?

They're certainly the weakest aspect, I posted this in the Final Hours thread:

StuBurns said:
I've just read a little of it, I'm going to have to wait for it to come to a non-iPad platform till I can read more, but I'm pretty surprised Kim's concept for Portal 2 got discarded. While I don't really agree the Braid/R&C 'recording' of actions is a good idea in a 3D environment, time dilation seems a really natural fit for Portal. I could easily imagine something akin to those blue light tubes in Portal 2 that speed up and slow down time, having the player position the tubes to speed up a platform so it's in place for a box to land on it etc.

I think the goo in Portal 2 is a little incongruous and while the orange goo is an interesting addition in terms of allowing horizontal acceleration to be used for vertical lift, a light tube that speeds up time would have the exact same effect.

If Kim is working on a bootleg Portal 2, I'll be there day one to buy it.

LiK

Beat the game last night. Really fun and well written. Puzzles were pretty easy compared to the first game tho. Didn't get stuck in any of them. Even the final two chapters were kind of a breeze even if they were a bit more elaborate. Shows how well designed they were without too much trial and error. In any case, no one should need a guide for this game.

Brilliant game Valve.

Cipherr

Ellis Kim said:

I think it was this?

I liked them, was just another way to make a puzzle IMO. They needed more than just the lasers, boxes and buttons this time.

LiK

Cipherr said:
I liked them, was just another way to make a puzzle IMO. They needed more than just the lasers, boxes and buttons this time.
I agree, added a new element to the puzzles and they also provided some backstory to the portal experiment.

Magnus said:
You need to have the beam get you pretty high up and then shoot another portal at the angled panel so you fall into the portal you're over and out the panel onto the blue goop which bounces you over to the door.

I knew I need enough momentum to get me over there but I didn't think it was that simple. I even got blue gel by the door you entered on the short ceiling and floor and kept bouncing to get enough momentum before shoot a portal to shoot me out but I never made it. This puzzle was driving me nuts and I felt so stupid because I kept over-thinking it and other puzzles. Fffff...

LiK

butter_stick said:
I wish there was more stuff with gels. Apart from the fact rendering those blops made my computer cry I enjoyed them.
I was disappointed only one puzzle had the blue gel
where you bounced between walls.
wanted more wacky ones like that.

ant1532

Banned
Does anybody know if you can share the steam pc/mac version of the game the comes with the PS3 copy if you don;t need it/want it?

Sabotage

Beat single player yesterday - unimpressed.

The gels were under utilized and the maps were completely linear - "oh look, there's three spots on the map where portals can go, hmmm..."

Where are all the timed switches, the air juggling, heck even the turrets.

The launch pads were a weak idea also, whats the point of a having large room/map if you're just going to get carried over - all of those should have been a situation where you'd actually use portals to build up momentum to get to the other side.

And then there are no advanced maps, wtf?!

*Son, I am dissapoint*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't understand the complaints about linearity. Were you expecting anything else in a what is first and foremost a puzzle game? Was the original not completely linear?

Top Bottom