• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

jax (old)

Banned
just got past chapter 4, at chapter 6 now and you guys are right. It gets SOOOO much better and so much more interesting once you clear chapter 4. The change in scenary really was much needed.

TheBear

Just finished it today. Positively amazing. I found the first one to be a mildly interesting puzzler but this game took it to another level. Anyway, quick question about co-op. does it contain any major plotlines?

Jintor

Nah, not really. But the puzzles are more challenging, to my mind. And it's just a lot of fun to work things out with a friend.

TheBear

Jintor said:
Nah, not really. But the puzzles are more challenging, to my mind. And it's just a lot of fun to work things out with a friend.

Ok thanks just wanted to be sure before I dive into the spoilers thread. Cheers!

Going through my commentary run, I'm finding a lot more of (spoiler just in case)
Ratman's dens
. Some are so obvious I dunno how I missed them the first time.

gdt

Dax01 said:
Going through my commentary run, I'm finding a lot more of (spoiler just in case)
Ratman's dens
. Some are so obvious I dunno how I missed them the first time.

I really only found 1 or 2. Any clues to look out for? So I know I'm near one?

Is it those tiles with the squiggly lines?

DarkKyo

Jintor said:
Man, I already want some kick-ass co-op challenge rooms. MAKE IT HAPPEN VALVE
My brother and I played the co-op together and I haven't had that much fun in a co-op game in so damn long.

I'm going through withdrawals.. Need more puzzles so I can continue taking Atlas out for a spin(and justify the money I spent pimping him out lol)...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Chell is Gordon Freemans + Alyx Vances child, sent back in time from Ep. 3 on the Borealis and adopted by Caroline and Cave Johnson.

gdt5016 said:
I really only found 1 or 2. Any clues to look out for? So I know I'm near one?

Is it those tiles with the squiggly lines?
From the ones I've discovered, there really isn't anything specific to look out for. Playing chapter 3, I found like...3 or 4 of them. Just be extra attentive to the walls and ceilings I guess. It's been fun finding them!

jax (old)

Banned
HELLP~

chapter 7.

I can't get past the 2nd
ramp jump after you put the companion cube and the ramp goes higher so you can get to the higher platform. I can get onto the area below the mesh platform (which you're meant to land on) but I can't get higher. Tried about 8-9 times now

:mad:

nevermind. Did it with keyboard and space bar. Couldnt do it with the pcx360 controller

Beat Portal 2 last night, 7.5 hours of game-time.

Fantastic game, but still think it could use more challenging puzzles, and some of the puzzle mechanics are introduced too late and way under utilized.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pennybags said:
I don't have the game until Wednesday, but I wonder how user-created maps will figure into the PS3 version, exactly?
Valve said they would be available through Steamworks but haven't elaborated on how.

EVIL

Princess Skittles said:
Is there an audio rip of the
companion cube's song
without the level's music behind it?

It must be my ringtone.
download GCFscape, and open pak01_dir.vpk (you can find it in the portal 2 folder @ Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2)

The tune you are looking for (i think) can be found in sound/music/ and is called sp_a2_pit_flings_cc_01.wav

Well I finished the campaign. Of course it was a ton of fun, but I'm surprised they don't have challenge versions of some of the rooms. I was never really challenged in this game. Although, I haven't touched co-op yet.

JWong

Banned
MrCompletely said:
Beat Portal 2 last night, 7.5 hours of game-time.

Fantastic game, but still think it could use more challenging puzzles, and some of the puzzle mechanics are introduced too late and way under utilized.
Play coop. That's where they put the challenging, twitch puzzles and left the Single player alone.

EVIL

JWong said:
Play coop. That's where they put the challenging, twitch puzzles and left the Single player alone.
and a good decision if I may say. it leaves the single player experience open for allot more people to enjoy, the co-op is for the bit more advanced players.

DieH@rd

Banned
JWong said:

Not really. Even coop puzzles were easy for me and my robot buddy. Today we snatched last coop achivement [still alive].

Animal

Banned
Finished single player and co-op. Really loved every second. I want more now.

The only thing bothering me is that I'm left with the feeling that I payed 50$ for what I think should be a 20$ or 30$ game. This game has no longevity.

JWong

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Not really. Even coop puzzles were easy for me and my robot buddy. Today we snatched last coop achivement [still alive].
So are you saying coop was just as easy as singleplayer with no twitch puzzles?

Because that's wrong.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
EVIL said:
download GCFscape, and open pak01_dir.vpk (you can find it in the portal 2 folder @ Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2)

The tune you are looking for (i think) can be found in sound/music/ and is called sp_a2_pit_flings_cc_01.wav
Oooh, thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

Just beat the game. Great, great fun.

My only complaints are
most of the puzzles outside of the test chambers that bascially consist of finding the two or three surfaces you can use portals on in a confusing enviroment. Not very clever, but necessary I guess.
I also kinda wish they wouldn't have done a song similar to Still Alive for the credits. It was naturally not as impactful as in the first game and I thought the Turret song was fun enough to make for a special ending.

Other than that I really enjoyed it. Especially
potato Glados was adorable. :p

Looking forward to the Commentary and the Coop.

JWong said:
So are you saying coop was just as easy as singleplayer with no twitch puzzles?

Because that's wrong.
Im not disagreeing with you that co-op is trickier, but what exactly do you mean by twitch puzzles? Like the one in Portal 1 where you have to quickly aim several times to propel yourself to the top of a room using momentum? If so, Ive played through co-op three times and I'm pretty sure there are no twitch puzzles like that. There was one we did incorrectly that used some twitch skills, but we quickly realized we did it wrong (but it still got us through).

Smeghead

Just beat it.

For some reason i found the puzzles in Portal to be harder than Portal 2, i only got stumped a couple of times midway through.

The later puzzles i had no problem with, which is weird as you expect them to be the hardest. Saying this it didn't affect the enjoyment of the game and i still think it's better than the first.

Also i have to say the
underground/old style exploring and the old puzzles were my favourite part of the game. Especially towards the latter part as it mixed puzzle rooms along with just traversing the area perfectly.

I thought the difficulty was the sweet spot around this part as well with the introduction of the gels.

Not sure why some thought it was the weakest part.

Agree about the only gripe with the game is the loading times. Also i thought the graphics were great especially the
gel floating through the lifting beams sections

StuBurns said:
Surprised you didn't find
Want You Gone
impacting, I loved it, a lot more than the other one.
Sure, I can see why you would that. Maybe I'll like it more when I play the game a second time, but
just now the credits were overshadowed by the feeling that they were forcefully trying to recreate one of the most memorable moments in (more or less) recent gaming history. Still Alive was something unique and unforeseen. Want You Gone was neither of those.
But with my expectations now in place I can see me enjoying it more during my second playthrough.

StuBurns

Banned
slaughterking said:
Sure, I can see why you would that. Maybe I'll like it more when I play the game a second time, but
just now the credits were overshadowed by the feeling that they were forcefully trying to recreate one of the most memorable moments in (more or less) recent gaming history. Still Alive was something unique and unforeseen. Want You Gone was neither of those.
But with my expectations now in place I can see me enjoying it more during my second playthrough.
I do agree that it wasn't as unique certainly, although I didn't see it coming personally, I thought the turret bit was going to be what we got instead. But in terms of it's relevance to the game, it meant a lot more I think, it's also a much better song I think.

Spinning Plates said:
Ok so I just reached Chapter
. Did I just miss out on
playing Chapters 4 and 5
?

Would I be better off
going back to my Chapter 3 auto-save instead of chasing Wheatley into the depths of the turret factory?

-

I'm confused. Isn't all of Chapter 5 the part you spoilered? It's called
The Escape

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jax said:
just got past chapter 4, at chapter 6 now and you guys are right. It gets SOOOO much better and so much more interesting once you clear chapter 4. The change in scenary really was much needed.

Good to hear. Just started Chapter 4 last night and am already feeling a bit meh at all the 'testing'. Just overly familiar, and I can better understand the loading complaints. It really does pull the momentum right from under you.

Marathoned most of the co-op last night too. (Finished Chapter 5 puzzles, not sure how much is left). Friend kept stating how much more advanced the puzzles in co-op have been compared to Single player(which he finished). Good stuff, but the narrative in co-op has been non-existent. Kinda hoping whatever is left does something to make it appear as more than just a bunch of test rooms.

bee

it was ok, nothing amazing, i actually thought it dragged on a little long towards the end. graphically apart from a few rooms with nice lighting i thought it looked dated, still i cant complain too much i guess, least it wasn't piss poor like crysis 2

Arnie

Smeghead said:
Just beat it.

For some reason i found the puzzles in Portal to be harder than Portal 2, i only got stumped a couple of times midway through.

The later puzzles i had no problem with, which is weird as you expect them to be the hardest. Saying this it didn't affect the enjoyment of the game and i still think it's better than the first.

Also i have to say the
underground/old style exploring and the old puzzles were my favourite part of the game. Especially towards the latter part as it mixed puzzle rooms along with just traversing the area perfectly.

I thought the difficulty was the sweet spot around this part as well with the introduction of the gels.

Not sure why some thought it was the weakest part.

Agree about the only gripe with the game is the loading times. Also i thought the graphics were great especially the
gel floating through the lifting beams sections
Fancy doing co-op tonight pal? I've not started it yet but I'm going to Blackburn V City so it'll be when I get back.

I really liked the
underground parts. I loved all the exposition to Aperture's history and seeing Cave Johnson's progression was superb. The moment when you encounter potato GLaDOS was hilarious too. I understand why some would have complaints with that section, as in general I found the puzzles there to be the weakest in the game (the gels) but I thought the added story content and break from the main Wheatley/GLaDOS storyline came at a perfect time and more than made up for what I found to be a frustrating puzzle section.

The atmosphere in particular was spectacular, and that was the moment in the game when I fully realised that Valve's writers and artists are leaps and bounds ahead of all others in the industry. I've been a Valve skeptic but this game made me have a Valvegasm and want to replay all their old games.

Ronok

I really enjoyed Portal 2. I was loving it from the start. But as I played through I realised, it was never going to become as challenging as Portal 1. The lack of anything to do other then pick up the pretty simple achievements once you finish single player and coop is really disappointing. :( I mean I don't have the ridiculous professor portal bullshit achievement, but I have almost everything else now. Just need to go back and drop a turret on an aerial faith plate and I'm done.

I'd have been a lot happier with more portal limits, time limits, whatever. But they gave nothing. :-/ They don't even give any incentive to go back to coop, so do they expect people to purchase any of their ridiculously priced customisations in the store?

Blah, it's a good game, but it's not on the same level as Portal 1 for me. :(

jax (old)

Banned
Just finished it. Pretty good game. Enjoyed the game a lot more once the plot kicked in.The first 4 chapters were definitely the weakest. Some of the end game bits had some pretty crazy things happening. And the atmosphere was pretty neat.

I'd rate it about a 7.5/10. Just a tad too easy. Portal 1 had some pretty difficult bits. It was pretty easy once I realised that all the speed jumps, I had to use the keyboard as the x360 controller couldn't do the full speed run. I personally wish that there were
more to do in the human/office spaces you do get into (besides push buttons and pull levers) and more than just hearing the audio announcements - even a video wall room with some sort of story related video of some sort would have added a lot to the story - would have also been interesting to see some of the corpses in the game.
Still the fact that the game uses very little - the portal gun and that mechanic and it sustains itself for the 7 or so hour shows how great it is.

GAME FINALE spoilers
moon bit was suprising and awesome. However end boss fight was sort of lame. It felt random how you'd hit him and then ... 3 hits = win.Having to jump to stick on cores was a terrible idea as I think the jumping mechanic as a basic control method in Porta2 is pretty average. You never have to jump in the game (with the button - except to jump over lasers)

Now to read the spoilers thread.

Also

kept thinking spiderman's boss when I heard Cave Johnson (?) talk in the ruined area announcements. I'm pretty sure that actor did the voice acting

+

when I saw the potato GLados, I immediately thought back to this thread title and was a little bit underwhelmed as I felt the thread had someone spoilered the impact by mentioning spuds. Just a whiff of ... "oh"

I've only just realised that this universe is a hell of a lot bigger than I originally thought. I've never played Half-Life or know anything about it, but I've been reading about it a lot in Portal discussion - do they link together somewhat and is it worth buying?

StuBurns

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
I've only just realised that this universe is a hell of a lot bigger than I originally thought. I've never played Half-Life or know anything about it, but I've been reading about it a lot in Portal discussion - do they link together somewhat and is it worth buying?
They are certainly inherently connected, and you should probably pick up the Orange Box, it's HL2, both the episodes, and Portal 1.

ultron87

Jax said:
when I saw the potato GLados, I immediately thought back to this thread title and was a little bit underwhelmed as I felt the thread had someone spoilered the impact by mentioning spuds. Just a whiff of ... "oh"
Well you should really blame Valve for that one what with their potato focused ARG leading up to the game's release. And the potato batteries actually in the game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I love the little easter egg in Chapter
on Test
15. If you look over or even portal over to where Wheatley is making an exit you will see P-Body standing by the exit.

epmode

Mechanical Snowman said:
Are you asking if Half-Life 1+2 are worth buying? God yes.

They take place in the same universe as Portal but the stores almost never intersect.

Biggest similarities:

LEVEL DESIGN AND VARIETY
Subtle exposition - a great deal of the plot can be inferred by the world itself. Lots of stuff isn't explicitly spelled out
Rad electronic soundtrack

StuBurns said:
They are certainly inherently connected, and you should probably pick up the Orange Box, it's HL2, both the episodes, and Portal 1.
Yes! If you enjoyed Portal and Portal 2, you should enjoy Half-Life (though it's not a guarantee). Definitely worth a try. Half-Life 2 and episodes are some of my favorite games ever.

Also, going through my Portal 2 commentary run has made me want to do a Half-Life 2 and episodes commentary run. I've never done it before. I think I'll start as soon as I finish Portal 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ronok said:
I really enjoyed Portal 2. I was loving it from the start. But as I played through I realised, it was never going to become as challenging as Portal 1. The lack of anything to do other then pick up the pretty simple achievements once you finish single player and coop is really disappointing. :( I mean I don't have the ridiculous professor portal bullshit achievement, but I have almost everything else now. Just need to go back and drop a turret on an aerial faith plate and I'm done.

I'd have been a lot happier with more portal limits, time limits, whatever. But they gave nothing. :-/ They don't even give any incentive to go back to coop, so do they expect people to purchase any of their ridiculously priced customisations in the store?

Blah, it's a good game, but it's not on the same level as Portal 1 for me. :(
Not on the same level? If this game didn't pull it off, there was nothing they could do to have met your expectations.

The fact is, the challenge is absolutely on par with the first Portal. Would some challenge rooms been nice? Of course, but for the main story, they found a perfect balance. It's challenging, but not overly so. Additional content that comes down the pipe should do more to satisfy your craving for challenging puzzles.

Top Bottom