• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

ant1532

Banned
Sabotage said:
Beat single player yesterday - unimpressed.

The gels were under utilized and the maps were completely linear - "oh look, there's three spots on the map where portals can go, hmmm..."

Where are all the timed switches, the air juggling, heck even the turrets.

The launch pads were a weak idea also, whats the point of a having large room/map if you're just going to get carried over - all of those should have been a situation where you'd actually use portals to build up momentum to get to the other side.

And then there are no advanced maps, wtf?!

*Son, I am dissapoint*
its not linear you just can't think of any creative ways to get through the game.

ant1532 said:
Does anybody know if you can share the steam pc/mac version of the game the comes with the PS3 copy if you don;t need it/want it?
Hmm, I originally thought you might be able to but:

Steampowered.com said:
Each new copy of Portal 2 on PlayStation®3 includes a one-time use code allowing you access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam.

Note:

Each code is unique and non-transferrable, and can only be registered to a single Steam account.
Steampowered.com said:
Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388#ps3codeforpc

Looks like you can give it away but you won't be able to play online at the same time and you'll have to link your friend's Steam account with your own PSN account, if I understood that correctly... so a bit impractical.

Edit: apparently this is incorrect; disregard.

pakkit

Banned
I too got that problem with the
Wheatley boss fight. His bomb shields didn't deploy properly so he just chucked bombs into his own shields. Reloading didn't work so I just replayed the entire last chapter and finally he moved his shields. Kind of cheapened the ending, but whatevs, beat him on the first try after that. :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Eliminate chapters
5 and 6
and this would be a good 9.5. Those two chapters really killed alot of what it had going for it to me. The rest was absolutely wonderful.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mechanical Snowman said:

Looks like you can give it away but you won't be able to play online at the same time and you'll have to link your friend's Steam account with your own PSN account, if I understood that correctly... so a bit impractical.

I think it's been confirmed that you can...

Synch your PS3 with Steam and get your Free PC copy, then give your PS3 copy to a friend and they can create a new steam account on their PS3. Or you could let your friend synch his account to get the PC copy, then get your PS3 copy back and then make your steam account.

Riposte

I don't see why Puzzle games can't be linear. Weird. Anyway the puzzles were mostly easy, but there are about 3-5 that were very tough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can give the code away and you will be able to play co-op with whatever Steam account is used to redeem the game, provided it's not your own.

Unique Steam IDs means no troubles playing together online. As such, you could redeem the game on your own Steam account, make a new PSN id and a new Steam account on your PS3, and play co-op that way if you so desired.

StuBurns

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Eliminate chapters
5 and 6
and this would be a good 9.5. Those two chapters really killed alot of what it had going for it to me. The rest was absolutely wonderful.
As much as I liked
Cave's recordings, I think it'd have been cool if we went there with PotaTOS and the puzzles were broken so you'd have to figure out alternative ways to solve them than what appears to be the real way. I think it would have been really creepy, as it is, it's very jovial down there, which I also like actually. I don't know what I want basically.

RZI

Beat this yesterday and what a great game. I really liked the traversing parts, because the sense of scale was so great. The tests weren't as fun.

LiK

RZI said:
Beat this yesterday and what a great game. I really liked the traversing parts, because the sense of scale was so great. The tests weren't as fun.

opposite here. i liked the tests alot.

alr1ghtstart said:
Eliminate chapters
5 and 6

Crazy talk! Isn't one of those chapters titled
"The Escape"
? Because if it is, that was the exact moment the game transcended from being an okay sequel to something truly special. The last chapter grabbed me the same way, probably because there's a lot of interaction with my favorite character in the game.

Since those two chapters are basically roller-coaster rides, I don't know if they'll hold up on multiple playthroughs, but the first time through them was a delightful experience.

Zutroy

I believe I'm near the end of chapter
, how many chapters are there in total? Wondering if I'll be able to finish it tonight.

Ah, my mistake then. I did think the same before I checked out the FAQ on Steampowered, this quote "The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend." just threw me off.

I am regretting not buying on PS3 for the free Steam copy. The only reason I didn't is because I couldn't wait 2 more days to play it, I'm an idiot.

I sure this has been asked may times before but, once you beat the SP can you select chapters after? As in going back and picking up trophies you might have missed?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Square Triangle said:
I sure this has been asked may times before but, once you beat the SP can you select chapters after? As in going back and picking up trophies you might have missed?
Yes. Hitting new game will take you to a chapter select.

Divius

Square Triangle said:
Yes. When you select New Game you can pick which chapter to start, as well as Developer Commentary. Edit: beaten :<

ant1532

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:

hmmm the thing is its my friend who is gunna let me have the code since I don't have PC. I was going to play it on my mac. So does this mean i have to just login to his steam to play? I can't use his code to download it on my account?

Exuro

ant1532 said:
hmmm the thing is its my friend who is gunna let me have the code since I don't have PC. I was going to play it on my mac. So does this mean i have to just login to his steam to play? I can't use his code to download it on my account?
You'll need to make a PSN account and have him connect that with your Steam account and play it once on the PS3 to get the game on PC.

ant1532

Banned
Exuro said:
You'll need to make a PSN account and have him connect that with your Steam account and play it once on the PS3 to get the game on PC.
:O so trickery. I have a PSN account so it shouldn't be that difficult. THANKS!

Gav

Think im about two-thirds or more through the single player atm, and im loving it.

The atmosphere in the game is incredible, and im enjoying pretty much every aspect of the game so far. Puzzles are great.

Cant wait to get stuck into the co-op. Have to wait till my broadband is reconnected next month :(

alr1ghtstart said:
Eliminate chapters
5 and 6
Absolute nonsense, good sir. Those chapters are fantastic.

I loved both
the exploring aspect and the puzzles of chapter 6

Also, going through Portal 2 with commentary on makes me want to start up HL2 + episodes with commentary on. Never done that before.

Also, here is a link to a lot of Cave Johnson quotes. Spoilers for those who haven't finished the game.

Riposte

Hahaha! I just realized "Stephen Merchant" is that guy who is always hanging out with Gervais. Never made the connection.

Mechanical Snowman said:

Wrong. I don't know why people keep saying this, but it isn't true as far as I can tell.

I bought the PS3 version and linked it to my Steam account so I could get the PC copy. Then I had my cousin sign in on his PS3 and link his PSN to a newly created Steam account. After doing this, we could play co-op online together. So as far as I can tell, you can give the PS3 copy to anyone and they can play online with your PC copy.

StuBurns said:
As much as I liked
Cave's recordings, I think it'd have been cool if we went there with PotaTOS and the puzzles were broken so you'd have to figure out alternative ways to solve them than what appears to be the real way. I think it would have been really creepy, as it is, it's very jovial down there, which I also like actually. I don't know what I want basically.

I would have really liked this.
All the old areas were great and it already looked really run down but I was hoping that they would be falling apart just from use while I was there or the goo was all dried and gave diminishing returns. Still fun but it killed a lot of the momentum of the story for myself.

th3dude

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but:

If I play co-op on Steam, will any achievements/trophies I get carry over to PSN (whenever PSN decides to come back)?

I know that trophies acquired on PS3 carry over to Steam, and I'm hoping it works the other way, too.

Thanks!

Medalion

Banned
Since I am so close to finishing game on PC, I've taken a journey back from the beginning few stages on the PS3... there are things I can swear is a little different or things I have forgotten to solve puzzles. It's weird my first run through I ran through those stages faster than the 2nd time around...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Medalion said:
Since I am so close to finishing game on PC, I've taken a journey back from the beginning few stages on the PS3... there are things I can swear is a little different or things I have forgotten to solve puzzles. It's weird my first run through I ran through those stages faster than the 2nd time around...
I know that feeling... On my second playthrough I wander through most of the environments and think "I barely remember this area, and I definitely forget how to solve the puzzle".

Portal 2 is so dense with ideas, one after another, that my brain forgets a lot of it. And I think during the first playthrough, there was so much to take in that I knew I couldn't dwell on every little detail... It's just too much to take in...!

Plasmid

poppin in real quick.

I have my Ps3 connected to my steam, or i've logged on with it, and i've got my steam copy available with an unused key, is it possible for me to sell it to any random person?

I hate to jump in and ask because i'm sure it's been asked.

Top Bottom