• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Shotgun Kiss said:
How long is the developers commentary? Surely it doesn't span the whole game, as you can't save.
Have you played a game from The Orange Box before? The commentaries appear as "thought bubbles" and you play each individually. You chose which ones you want to play. They appear all throughout the game, but they're less frequent than the commentaries in the games in The Orange Box.

Edit: Also, for those who haven't, I recommend the Giant Bomb Spoilercast. It's a great listen.

I'm also tapping my foot for other versions of the "Inside Portal 2" article, Mr. Geoff!

Epix

Getting ready to start coop. How does it work? Do I need to find someone who hasn't done the coop maps yet so I'm not getting lead through the levels by someone who's already done them?

AcciDante

So, when you're playing through the commentary, are the number of nodes per area or per chapter? Are there only 4 for the whole first chapter or just that first area?

Medalion

Banned
Epix said:
Getting ready to start coop. How does it work? Do I need to find someone who hasn't done the coop maps yet so I'm not getting lead through the levels by someone who's already done them?
PC version you can get them to randomly select a player on Steam with Portal 2 also playing Co-Op, it's a gamble if they've played before or not... do you have a mic? If not, you can also use pre-programmed signals to communicate to the other player too

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medalion said:
PC version you can get them to randomly select a player on Steam with Portal 2 also playing Co-Op, it's a gamble if they've played before or not... do you have a mic? If not, you can also use pre-programmed signals to communicate to the other player too
Does voice chat even work on Portal 2? Seems totally busted.

AcciDante said:
So, when you're playing through the commentary, are the number of nodes per area or per chapter? Are there only 4 for the whole first chapter or just that first area?
It's not a consistent number, it's just wherever they felt like putting a node. I fount it disappointingly sparse compared to how many nodes there were in HL2Ep 1 and 2, felt like there were only 2 or 3 per chapter on average.

StuBurns

Banned
faceless007 said:
It's not a consistent number, it's just wherever they felt like putting a node. I fount it disappointingly sparse compared to how many nodes there were in HL2Ep 1 and 2, felt like there were only 2 or 3 per chapter on average.
There must be about fifteen across the first two chapters, so that's almost none beyond that?

Epix said:
You can pick a friend or just have the game randomly match you with someone (I don't think the game looks for any criteria to match you with, it's completely random). If either of you is new you'll do a training section first, then go the main hub. There will be signs showing you how much your partner has progressed through each of the 5 courses, but I think you can do them in any order and repeat them.

Dax01 said:
Have you played a game from The Orange Box before? The commentaries appear as "thought bubbles" and you play each individually. You chose which ones you want to play. They appear all throughout the game, but they're less frequent than the commentaries in the games in The Orange Box.

I know (they're in both Orange Box and the Left 4 Dead games), but like I said, the game states that you can't save in commentary mode. Unless you can choose which chapter you want to play?

EDIT: Never mind; just started it up to find out, and that is indeed the case.

StuBurns

Banned
Shotgun Kiss said:
I know (they're in both Orange Box and the Left 4 Dead games), but like I said, the game states that you can't save in commentary mode. Unless you can choose which chapter you want to play?
You can pick the chapters.

Medalion

Banned
I may give it a go but it won't be till much later if you were thinking of playing now, I can add you later on whenever you are on. Would be nice to play with someone also relatively new to Co-Op to make this fresh approach. My nick is Medalion2889 on steam.

I need some help from you guys. In the Portal 2 commercial there's a song that I love :)06 to :22 in this video). Does anyone know if this song is on the Portal 2 OST, or if it was created specifically for the commercial? Any information would be appreciated.

The music in this game is fantastic. Love the menu/main theme, as well.

th3dude

sn1pes said:
Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but:

If I play co-op on Steam, will any achievements/trophies I get carry over to PSN (whenever PSN decides to come back)?

I know that trophies acquired on PS3 carry over to Steam, and I'm hoping it works the other way, too.

Thanks!

Anyone?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Summary Man said:
I need some help from you guys. In the Portal 2 commercial there's a song that I love :)06 to :22 in this video). Does anyone know if this song is on the Portal 2 OST, or if it was created specifically for the commercial? Any information would be appreciated.

The music in this game is fantastic. Love the menu/main theme, as well.
That's the music that plays in the hub area in co-op, so definitely part of the game.

sn1pes said:

No one really knows. Depending on the extent of what is wrong with PSN, it may mess things up. It should work though.

You are unlocking the acchivements on Steam, and then your PSN account will be tied to that Steam account, so the trophies should unlock when PSN does a check for what happend on Steam since it last checked.

It all should work, as all PSN has to do is check Steam to see your progress. PSN only has to do a check when it comes back online, and the check has nothing to do with PSN itself. IT wont have missed anything due to the downtime, so it would be just like turning you PS4 on after it been off for a few days.

Of course, there could be still some niggling thing on PSN that could mess things up.

edit - looks like someone answered simpler

th3dude

Keyser Soze said:
No one really knows. Depending on the extent of what is wrong with PSN, it may mess things up. It should work though.

You are unlocking the acchivements on Steam, and then your PSN account will be tied to that Steam account, so the trophies should unlock when PSN does a check for what happend on Steam since it last checked.

It all should work, as all PSN has to do is check Steam to see your progress. PSN only has to do a check when it comes back online, and the check has nothing to do with PSN itself. IT wont have missed anything due to the downtime, so it would be just like turning you PS4 on after it been off for a few days.

Of course, there could be still some niggling thing on PSN that could mess things up.

edit - looks like someone answered simpler

Cool, hoping this is the case. Obviously we need PSN back first, though :/

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
StuBurns said:
There must be about fifteen across the first two chapters, so that's almost none beyond that?

The number (1/x) is how many are on that map. So that's how many there are between load screens. There's a handful every map, I believe, it's not super-densely-packed like Orange Box games but they're around.

sn1pes said:
Cool, hoping this is the case. Obviously we need PSN back first, though :/
It doesn't work like that.

PS Blog said:
Sid, PSB: Obviously the PS3 version will have Trophies. Will Trophies be synchronized between both the PC/Mac and PS3 versions?

Joshua, Valve: For your Steam account, we have Steam Achievements that mirror the Trophies and those are always up to date between the PC and PS3. That does not include Trophies, however. Trophies have to be unlocked on the PS3.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s3-question-answered-and-that-cake-thing-too/

Gart

Friend and I just did the Portal Conservation Society achievement. It's the one where you try to complete chamber 3 in Hard Light Surfaces using only 5 portals total.

This one is really satisfying when you complete it. Wish there were more challenges like it.

jax (old)

Banned
gonna get stoned for this...:

Up to chapter 4. Really not feeling shock/awe by the game. So far, its been a bunch of sequelesque puzzles (portal 1.5) and no plot. How many chapters are there? It really needs to get hard/interesting soon because right now, I'm tearing through the rooms.

also as mentioned in the whatyouplaying thread, quite suprised by the room/room loading. Feels like a throw back to old style game design as the world isn't seamless. clear room load. clear room load. hnnngghh

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jax said:

Up to chapter 4. Really not feeling shock/awe by the game. So far, its been a bunch of sequelesque puzzles (portal 1.5) and no plot. How many chapters are there? It really needs to get hard/interesting soon because right now, I'm tearing through the rooms.

also as mentioned in the whatyouplaying thread, quite suprised by the room/room loading. Feels like a throw back to old style game design as the world isn't seamless. clear room load. clear room load. hnnngghh

Nine
chapters total. You're getting close to the meat of the game.

Jax said:

Stick with it for another chapter or two and the game's story kicks into motion.

Love the game, but the structure is different than I expected. I expected the whole
Game to
be like The Escape, and have practical puzzles and not test chambers
. Granted I'm not done yet, so maye that will change.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you're not feeling the game, that's super, but don't start this silly Portal 1.5 nonsense.

The things they did in this game with two, maybe three, non-violent ways of causing conflict in the environment (portals, box carrying and button pressing) is absolutely insane. It's like playing a shooter and saying "well, I'm entering lots of rooms and killing a lot of enemies, I'm not really getting the sequel thing".

The amount of creativity and originality in design within the extremely limited scope of the player's toolset makes other games with their action-buttons and the like look primitive.

pakkit

Banned
Rez said:
The amount of creativity and originality in design within the extremely limited scope of the player's toolset makes other games with their action-buttons and the like look primitive.

At the point he's at though, Chapter 4, the game hasn't revealed its freshest elements, so I can understand his criticism.

Jax said:

No plot? Have you turned off the audio or something?

God I love this game, although I got it on Saturday so I haven't been able to link my PS3 account to my Steam account yet. I'm waiting for that so I can cross-platform co-op with my PC friends. But the single-player has kept me engaged.

(Plot and puzzle spoilers ahead)
Currently in Chapter Eight. I love Wheatley and GLaDOS. Valve excels at making great characters and also changing your opinion of them in the drop of a hat. Potato-GLaDOS has been endearing and a great companion, while power-mad-GLaDOS I absolutely despised. Wheatley is just lovable all around, so I can't quite hate him even though he's supposed to be the 'villain' at this point.

The puzzles have been challenging but not so hard that I've needed a guide. I've only gotten stuck once, and that was during the repulsion gel tests when I didn't realize I could shoot through a window and get more repulsion gel outside the test chambers. I was kind of sad to go back to technological Aperture and leave all the gel stuff behind, but I'm hoping it comes back for some super-puzzles at the end.

The only complaint I can think of so far is the loading screens. It just makes it feel a lot more disjointed than Portal was. I'm aware this is a fairly longer game but if it had felt like a continuous experience like the first one this would have been flawless.

thespot84

what's the thing running around here at the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QBCE539v2JM#t=500s

middle of the screen and slightly to the right behind most of the turrets, it looks like something riding a small dinosaur? Some half life reference i'm missing?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thespot84 said:

middle of the screen and slightly to the right behind most of the turrets, it looks like something riding a small dinosaur? Some half life reference i'm missing?

It's just one of the
Weighted Turret Cubes

EXGN

Incendiary said:
The only complaint I can think of so far is the loading screens. It just makes it feel a lot more disjointed than Portal was. I'm aware this is a fairly longer game but if it had felt like a continuous experience like the first one this would have been flawless.

Yeah, I didn't mind it so much between test chambers but it's really annoying during some of the action sequences, really breaks the pace. But that's just a nitpick, the whole game is nothing short of amazing.

Sibylus

Banned
Was away for the weekend and catching up on ze thread.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Obviously it's an exaggeration, but it's true to an extent and is a valid complaint for Portal 2.
Whaaaaaaaat? You don't remember how Portal 1 was swimming in non-portal surfaces? If it's a valid complaint about Portal 2, it's equally applicable to the first game.

thespot84 said:

Holy shit: (from the comments)

if you translate this song, its all about glad0s saying goodbye to her child, and if you didnt pick it up during the game, glad0s ( Carolyn ) is your mother, Cave Johnson is your dad, and she is signing about saying goodbye in this song.

also where the bring your daughter to work day sign is, the last board is signed by chell in the bottom right.

Yep, GlaDOS is your mother. seriously. Chell Johnson. Welcome to Idaho.

Cave Johnson Carolyn Johnson Chell Johnson, C.J C.J C.J

Mind blown.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This whole Cave + GlaDOS = Chell theory based on is horrible and I cant wait for it to go away forever and ever.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
going by fan extrapolation of the story I'd say Kojima should write Portal 3.

ya lunatics

Ok so I just reached Chapter
. Did I just miss out on
playing Chapters 4 and 5
?

Would I be better off
going back to my Chapter 3 auto-save instead of chasing Wheatley into the depths of the turret factory?

-

Top Bottom