• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yes! If you enjoyed Portal and Portal 2, you should enjoy Half-Life (though it's not a guarantee). Definitely worth a try. Half-Life 2 and episodes are some of my favorite games ever.

Also, going through my Portal 2 commentary run has made me want to do a Half-Life 2 and episodes commentary run. I've never done it before. I think I'll start as soon finish Portal 2.
I don't think HL2 has them I'm afraid.

Thanks guys I'll pick it up later, I feel like I'm missing out on way too much.

Just to make sure, it's HL, HL2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2 I want? There's so many on Steam search I don't know what's what. Didn't expect that my wallet would be taking such a hit this week.

Mechanical Snowman said:

Just to make sure, it's HL, HL2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2 I want? There's so many on Steam search I don't know what's what. Didn't expect that my wallet would be taking such a hit this week.
I don't use Steam that much (I have an account though), but that's what you should get, yeah.

Half-Life 2 (+both episodes) is way better than Portal 1 or 2. It's fucking epic. Portal games are like the desert to the 5-course dinner that is Half-Life 2.

If you haven't played through it but enjoy Portal, you are simply wasting time reading this.

Scipius

Dax01 said:
It doesn't? :(

Nope. Developer commentary was introduced in Lost Coast, right after HL2. Pity they never added it with the Source 2007 engine update that added e.g. the achievements.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Just to make sure, it's HL, HL2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2 I want?(

Basically, yes, but there are some optional bits and pieces. Lost Coast, HL: Source, Opposing Force and Blue Shift to be exact.

luiztfc

Is anyone else experiencing some mouse delay or lag? When I turn, it seems as if there is a little delay before the movement itself.

Sibylus

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:

The Orange Box is 20 bucks on Steam and has all of those except HL1, great deal if you can get it. HL1 can be had separately for 10 (or for 15$, in the Half-Life 1 Anthology, includes the two expansion packs).

LProtag

The Lamonster said:
Half-Life 2 (+both episodes) is way better than Portal 1 or 2. It's fucking epic. Portal games are like the desert to the 5-course dinner that is Half-Life 2.

If you haven't played through it but enjoy Portal, you are simply wasting time reading this.

I've played Half-Life and all that, but FPS's aren't exactly my thing. Portal however just scratches an itch I can't really find anywhere else.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
It doesn't? :( Ah well. I think I'll replay the game because it's fun. :p Then play Episodes 1 and 2 (again for the second time in like three or four weeks).
The episodes have them for sure, as does Lost Coast.

As for Mechanical Snowman, yeah, HL1, HL2, HL2:EP1, HL2:EP2. Don't bother with other things I'd say. Certainly play Portal 1 if you haven't.

I don't even personally think you need to play HL1, I know it's much loved, and it is quite good, but I don't think you'd miss anything if you didn't.

EDIT: Beaten.

epmode

Mechanical Snowman said:
Just to make sure, it's HL, HL2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2 I want?
Those are the big ones, yeah.

The other stuff people have mentioned is also good-to-great but I wouldn't call it "essential."

InsertNameHere said:
I've played Half-Life and all that, but FPS's aren't exactly my thing. Portal however just scratches an itch I can't really find anywhere else.
That's cool. I guess my statement still stands for people who are into traditional shooters. Back when it was released in 2004, Half-Life 2 was as mind-blowing as Portal was in 2007.

Doodis

Guys, I'm partially through the game and think I may have messed up:
I never picked up the Glados potato. I looked for her after I fell down the shaft, but didn't ever see her anywhere. Am I screwed? Do you need her later on in the game? Where was I supposed to pick her up anyway?

Doodis said:
I never picked up the Glados potato. I looked for her after I fell down the shaft, but didn't ever see her anywhere. Am I screwed? Do you need her later on in the game? Where was I supposed to pick her up anyway?
Just keep on playing. You haven't done anything wrong.

Doodis said:
you're fine.

Botolf said:
The Orange Box is 20 bucks on Steam and has all of those except HL1, great deal if you can get it. HL1 can be had separately for 10 (or for 15$, in the Half-Life 1 Anthology, includes the two expansion packs).
I'd do that but I've already got Portal, so I'd rather buy them separately. And I just received an extremely generous PM and someone gifted me two of the games o_O

Doodis said:
You'll see her soon enough, don't worry.

StuBurns

Banned
Doodis said:
You're fine, trust in your heart and she will return.

EDIT: Dammit, thwarted again.

gdt

Doodis said:

Keep going.

Doodis said:
Hey, Doodis! Hope you're enjoying the game. :) You're fine. Just keep playing as everyone has said.

Also, to comment on Lost Coast, I wish Valve would port it over to the consoles and offer it as a download over Xbox Live and PSN. That would be awesome. Along with them porting HL1 to Mac and consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
Lost Coast while pretty is fairly redundant, it doesn't make any sense in terms of canon and it's like five minutes long. It's strange though, it didn't get ported to OS X either, that must have been virtually no work and they didn't do it.

Dax01 said:
Hey, Doodis! Hope you're enjoying the game. :) You're fine. Just keep playing as everyone has said.

Also, to comment on Lost Coast, I wish Valve would port it over to the consoles and offer it as a download over Xbox Live and PSN. That would be awesome. Along with them porting HL1 to Mac and consoles.
They probably don't think it's worth the effort. It's like a 5-10 minute mission.

balladofwindfishes said:
And if you do manage to skip her (since it actually is possible), she'll just magically appear on your portal gun when the next level loads

I don't think it is possible to skip PotatOS. You have to pick her up to cause a change in the walkways. (A button under her triggers when you pick her up.)

I just started my commentary playthrough, even though I would rather try the coop and see how that works. And I would like to link my Steam account and watch science unfold on my console. I really wish the PSN would work again. :I

Anyway, the commentaries are once again pretty interesting and much appreciated. I wonder why this hasn't become popular with more developers. I think it certainly adds quite a bit of value to the game, although I almost wish the game would completely take over control and I could just sit back and listen to the devs.

Also, "I'm different." is so cute. :3

Ronok

dark10x said:
Not on the same level? If this game didn't pull it off, there was nothing they could do to have met your expectations.

The fact is, the challenge is absolutely on par with the first Portal. Would some challenge rooms been nice? Of course, but for the main story, they found a perfect balance. It's challenging, but not overly so. Additional content that comes down the pipe should do more to satisfy your craving for challenging puzzles.

I don't think so. I'd have liked it if they had added more moments where you had to create new portals mid air in order to continue your jump. I remember a ton of times I had to do this in portal 1 and hardly any in portal 2. Almost everything was set up so you could do it with 2 (4 in coop) portals. It feels like they changed it to be more suitable for console play.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game. But I was hoping for some more challenging situations.

In any case... I want to 100% the game, so is there anyone who hasn't played coop who wants to help me get professor portal achievement? I'm playing on PC.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966661012 Feel free to add me if you want to help.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ronok said:
I don't think so. I'd have liked it if they had added more moments where you had to create new portals mid air in order to continue your jump. I remember a ton of times I had to do this in portal 1 and hardly any in portal 2. Almost everything was set up so you could do it with 2 (4 in coop) portals. It feels like they changed it to be more suitable for console play.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game. But I was hoping for some more challenging situations.

In any case... I want to 100% the game, so is there anyone who hasn't played coop who wants to help me get professor portal achievement? I'm playing on PC.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966661012 Feel free to add me if you want to help.
Eh, you really think they changed it for console play? Portal was available for all three platforms and then released again as an XBLA game. Both had quite a console presence.

For every puzzle missing that aspect you get plenty of new mechanics that did not exist previously.

StuBurns

Banned
Portal was perfectly playable on a controller. I think the changes for Portal 2 were all made just to make the game better. All Portals being upright might require less accuracy, but it's also just a refinement. Portals being instant not a projectile is the same.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I tried a bit with my 360 pad on PC and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Valve still hasn't really mastered the controller yet IMO.
I disagree, I think L4D on 360 controls as good as any console shooter.

In Portal's case, unless you're doing the advanced stuff, there's never any need for highly responsive controls.

Sciz

The majority of the situations in P1 that called for placing new portals on the fly were for flinging, which P2 replicates with faith plates and excursion funnels. Puzzle design wouldn't have actually changed much if they did it all P1 style.

Ronok

dark10x said:
Eh, you really think they changed it for console play? Portal was available for all three platforms and then released again as an XBLA game. Both had quite a console presence.

For every puzzle missing that aspect you get plenty of new mechanics that did not exist previously.

Obviously I don't know their exact reasoning, but that's what it feels like for sure. Even if they just think that lowering the accuracy required makes the game more fun for the majority, it still impacted my enjoyment.

Sciz said:
The majority of the situations in P1 that called for placing new portals on the fly were for flinging, which P2 replicates with faith plates and excursion funnels. Puzzle design wouldn't have actually changed much if they did it all P1 style.

Yes, these are some of the ways they made the game easier.

woolley

Ronok said:
Obviously I don't know their exact reasoning, but that's what it feels like for sure. Even if they just think that lowering the accuracy required makes the game more fun for the majority, it still impacted my enjoyment.
Portal 1 required very little quick accuracy if any at all. I played through the first Portal on my macbook's trackpad and I'm pretty sure playing with a controller is easier than playing with a trackpad.

MRORANGE

Ronok said:

Yes, these are some of the ways they made the game easier.

They changed it due to some bits of portal being reliant on timing rather than puzzle solving which irritated people who played the first one who felt it was just a timing issue.

ALright I need help I don't see how the hell can I get out of this trapped room.
I was escaping the facility with the personality core in Chapter 4, Glados trapped me in a room with three turrets and no escape out of the room. I deactivated all the turrets but I'm still in there wondering what to do next since I can't get out. I only have 1 wall to throw portals. That's it.

help a brother out.

StuBurns

Banned
The Bookerman said:
ALright I need help I don't see how the hell can I get out of this trapped room.
I was escaping the facility with the personality core in Chapter 4, Glados trapped me in a room with three turrets and no escape out of the room. I deactivated all the turrets but I'm still in there wondering what to do next since I can't get out. I only have 1 wall to throw portals. That's it.

help a brother out.
Face the place you can shoot a portal, turn around 180 degrees and you'll see a portalable wall beyond the room.

woolley

The Bookerman said:

help a brother out.
There is a little gap in the newly built wall that you can shoot the wall outside and get out that way.

Ronok

....For professor Portal, do you actually have to help someone on your friend list out? I just met someone playing for the first time and didn't get the achievement.. Are they really forcing people to wait for a friend to buy the game/add strangers to their list? :-/

neoism

Stellares said:
Ugh, this is crap. I can't activate my pc version while psn is down. :/
weird I've played nothing but the PC version..... sold the PS3 copy to a friend... I've had no problems on PC...

neoism said:
weird I've played nothing but the PC version..... sold the PS3 copy to a friend... I've had no problems on PC...

You need to initially link your PSN account to your Steam account if you have a PC code from the PS3 version.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
They need to implement another way to go through the commentary. I'm really not interested in replaying an entire game just to listen to commentary, especially when there can be huge gaps between nodes. I read somewhere that in the co-op commentary you can just tab to the next node, this seems like a great idea, not sure why they can't do that for single player.

Anyway thanks to silverson12 for throwing up all the commentaries on youtube so I could listen. I think he might be around here somewhere, I saw a lot of people from the GAF TF2 crew popping up in Steam now playing messages while he was recording. Hell he might even be on my friend's list already.

Top Bottom