• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
shagg_187 said:
AWW YEAH! My copy of Portal 2 has shipped! Can't wait to join the awesome adventure!

It only just shipped? Where did you order it from, the Moon?

dk_

JaseC said:
It only just shipped? Where did you order it from, the Moon?
Aww-Yeah-meme.png

ghibli99

Been playing off and on for a week now... so good. I don't really get all the "more of the same" complaints. While the basics are the same, there is a lot more layering going on, not to mention the additional mechanics, physics, and timing involved in some of these rooms. Also, the size/scale of the rooms and areas are a big change, and the variety of environments and additional characters/dialogue make a big difference in this feeling like a fully fleshed-out game. Badass sound design as well. Anyway, I'm loving it... some people, you just can't please.

jax (old)

Banned
Brandon F said:
Finished both Single and Co-op.

Enjoyable game, but WAY too similar to the first game. I felt like I was wading through endless test chambers in hopes of the narrative(or anything!) picking up again far too often. The co-op especially was disappointing in that regard(though having more advanced puzzles made it a good run).

Has very little chance of being on my top ten of the year, but it was a nice distraction this past week. The perfect scores are dramatically inaccurate though.

IAWTP

just cant see how it was getting all those perfect scores.

big ander

Finished co-op today. I definitely don't think it was more of the same. So many new mechanics, and the co-op game is like a whole new world. A completely different way of solving the puzzles.

That said, I think the game might be too easy. After the single player I said it was fine, but after co-op and thinking back on SP, it really should have had at least one infamously difficult puzzle, really. Part of the fun of puzzlers and platformers! Oh well, still a magnificent game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My suspicions rise every day that the first DLC is going to be called the "Bitterly Unfair Test Chamber Pack"

Medalion

Banned
I just beat the game... phenomenal battle and ending!

Game of the Year, no competition.

*bow bow*

First non-Nintendo game in ages to get this, w00p w00p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Medalion said:

*bow bow*

You're also the first person in ages to substitute Os with 0s. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Medalion said:

*bow bow*

I saw you turnin it into a snake when you said that.

Some of those puzzles in the last few chapters had me stumped for a while. Then I eventually realized what I was doing wrong, and now I feel stupid for not seeing it sooner. I really need to start thinking with portals.

RadioHeadAche said:
Some of those puzzles in the last few chapters had me stumped for a while. Then I eventually realized what I was doing wrong, and now I feel stupid for not seeing it sooner. I really need to start thinking with portals.
You need to stop putting portals on a pedastal.

vazel

Banned
Wowow I just finished splitscreen co-op on PS3 all by myself. Chambers 6-8 in course 5 were a bitch to do on my own since some of the puzzles require simultaneous activity on both controllers.

Divius

vazel said:
Wowow I just finished splitscreen co-op on PS3 all by myself. Chambers 6-8 in course 5 were a bitch to do on my own since some of the puzzles require simultaneous activity on both controllers.
forever-alone-face.jpg

vazel

Banned
derFeef said:
But... who are you going to show them to?
They will sync when PSN is back up. I gotta rack up those trophies before I trade it in at Amazon(yea yea I'm a sleazebag but I'm too poor to pass up $35 in credit).

Medalion

Banned
Because of the PSN being down, I am forced to play Portal 2 again (on PS3) from the beginning after beating most of the game on PC...and it often surprises me how much I forgot how to solve puzzles I did before faster on my first try

Ventrue

I formatted my hard drive and upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista, and now Portal 2 crashes after a minute or two of play. Any suggestions? Tried updating video drivers, directx, verifying game cache and installing service pack 1.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I went to bed last night with Portals on the brain. Dreamed about them doing trippy impossible stuff, and then when I went for a pee in the middle of the night I thought that I was peeing into a Portal. this game has officially warped me.

Hawkian said:
My suspicions rise every day that the first DLC is going to be called the "Bitterly Unfair Test Chamber Pack"

Hopefully! I also hope there is an option to integrate them into the SP game to give me an excuse to replay it again.

TxdoHawk

On chapter 6.

I don't really have much to say, besides BAWWW DIFFERENT TURRET SAD FACE ;_;

Oh, also, I agree with others that the initial chapters are a little too slow-going. I only really started enjoying myself once the game started introducing
light bridges
to puzzles, which I thought were clever and an excellent addition.

I think the humor once again shines through, mostly...I gotta say, the
fat jokes and LOL YOUR PARENTS ABANDONED YOU
jokes that GlaDOS throws at you constantly in the test chambers come a little too frequently. Writers should've probably chucked a few of those and switched up the insults a bit, although I guess they also wanted to build toward the "surprise" somewhat. That was a pretty throwaway joke too, though, the payoff just wasn't funny or creepy or anything, really. After seeing the video walls with turret designs, I would've made the payoff of that joke
defective turrets dressed up like a stereotypical mom and dad

Overall, I'm enjoying myself, and from what I understand I am getting to the best parts of the game...but I don't know if I'd really call this GOTY material. A bit much, I think. Maybe I will change my mind later on.

derFeef

Jedeye Sniv said:
I went to bed last night with Portals on the brain. Dreamed about them doing trippy impossible stuff, and then when I went for a pee in the middle of the night I thought that I was peeing into a Portal. this game has officially warped me.
But where is that other Portal???

Joking aside, Portal 2 is still on my brain as well. But mostly because of the music and instrumental (double meaning!) stuff in there. So great.

vazel said:

You seriously played through the entirety of co-op by yourself?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Lol.

I've been pretty ill lately and a couple of nights ago I had fever dreams about Portal the whole damn night. It really sucked.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Medalion said:
Because of the PSN being down, I am forced to play Portal 2 again (on PS3) from the beginning after beating most of the game on PC...and it often surprises me how much I forgot how to solve puzzles I did before faster on my first try
Same thing happened to me on my second play-through. I think we're just not concentrating on it at the same level as before.

I hate to put this here, but I thought one of you might be interested:

Screenshot2011-04-20at53559PM.png

Selling a pristine PS3 copy of Portal 2 with an unused code. I played through the game once, and I no longer need it.

35 Shipped

I absolutely loved the game, though. I wasn't particularly smitten with Portal, but this is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Mzo

StuBurns said:
Portal was perfectly playable on a controller. I think the changes for Portal 2 were all made just to make the game better. All Portals being upright might require less accuracy, but it's also just a refinement. Portals being instant not a projectile is the same.
The portals weren't instant in Portal 1, you could (and had to for some challenges) peek out through a portal, shoot a new one, and scoot back before it hit the wall and changed the destination. Definitely not instant.

Sober

So my friend and I are stuck on the last hard light surface stage. The first two parts of the level is easy enough
(with the balls into the lasers)
but we ran into some problem with the third part. Tried flinging ourselves a couple times but it seems too much, what exactly is supposed to happen?

Epix

The tech in this game is great. The lighting is amazing, makes me excited for the next HL. How the hell does everything seem to run so well in this engine? I'm playing in 1920x1200 and the
cinematic destruction sequences
seem to run at 200fps, so smooth. No sign of slowdown, ever. How do you do it Valve?

Jintor

Sober said:
So my friend and I are stuck on the last hard light surface stage. The first two parts of the level is easy enough
(with the balls into the lasers)
but we ran into some problem with the third part. Tried flinging ourselves a couple times but it seems too much, what exactly is supposed to happen?

The room's symmetrical for a reason :3

Epix said:
The tech in this game is great. The lighting is amazing, makes me excited for the next HL. How the hell does everything seem to run so well in this engine? I'm playing in 1920x1200 and the
cinematic destruction sequences
seem to run at 200fps, so smooth. No sign of slowdown, ever. How do you do it Valve?

I know that for the first one in the first level there's a rather complex explanation in the developer commentary.

Man

Do anyone know if Steam achievements are synced with *all* Portal 2 Trophies if you connect your PSN account (with Steam) after having played for a while?

Numpt3

I promised myself that I would finish up a few games before buying this. Well I caved in this afternoon, nipped out and got it for the 360.

I think I'm up to chapter 7 so far, all I have to say is... mind = blown.

Top Bottom