• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Such an amazing game. I'm on my third playthrough now lol. Can't remember the last time I've done that, but it's been years for sure.

On a related note, i looked into getting a boxed copy of Portal 1 and noticed that they've become quite rare and expensive since Portal 2's release. Or was it always like that?

TheFreshPrince

Just finished. 10/10 for me.

Only thing disappointed with was length. I listened to all dialogue, explored and looked around a ton, and got stuck a few times...and still beat it in about 6 hours. Was really hoping for 8-10 like they said :(

Nizz

I am taking my sweet ass time with this game, made it to chapter 9 I think. I don't usually get to play the game till about a certain time every evening. Plus it's like I don't want it to end :lol

Feels so good to finally beat a puzzle that had you stumped for a while and then you get that "eureka" moment and smack your forehead for not seeing it sooner. Game looks/runs so nicely on PS3 also. Love the use of lighting and shadows in one particular section.

The game's pretty funny too. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. Especially the lines/delivery of
JK Simmons. His lemon rant was a classic!

I'll most likely finish it today, and then it's time for a replay right afterwards. :)

Pride

Has Valve made any statements about the PSN outage since according to Gabe the PS3 was going to be the best console version of Portal 2 due to the Steam integration?

EDIT: I stand corrected, technically Im sitting as I type this but I sit corrected doesnt have the same ring to it

StuBurns

Banned
Pride said:
Has Valve made any statements about the PSN outage since according to Gabe the PS3 was going to be the best way to play Portal 2 due to the Steam integration?
He didn't say that. He said it'd be the best console version. And no, no word from Valve on the outage.

Pride said:
Has Valve made any statements about the PSN outage since according to Gabe the PS3 was going to be the best console version of Portal 2 due to the Steam integration?

EDIT: I stand corrected, technically Im sitting as I type this but I sit corrected doesnt have the same ring to it

They said you don't have to worry about the hackers getting your Steam info, it's safe

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i definitely pick up some BIOSHOCK vibes from this at times.

and holy wow, did it get good in the past twenty minutes.
opened up big time in the concept and what was happening with wheatley and i couldn't be happier.

Rengoku

TheFreshPrince said:
Just finished. 10/10 for me.

Only thing disappointed with was length. I listened to all dialogue, explored and looked around a ton, and got stuck a few times...and still beat it in about 6 hours. Was really hoping for 8-10 like they said :(

Damn, I feel like an idiot now, it took me 10 hours, at least according to Steam... I did pace myself, but didn't do much exploration, nor did I listen to all the dialogue, and it still took me that long... I got stuck a couple times, but I don't think I spent more than 20 minutes in a single chamber.

With Merchants involvement and all, I hope we get to see a video sometime of Karl Pilkington going through a little bit of porta 2l. Would be pretty amazing.

Rengoku said:
Damn, I feel like an idiot now, it took me 10 hours, at least according to Steam... I did pace myself, but didn't do much exploration, nor did I listen to all the dialogue, and it still took me that long... I got stuck a couple times, but I don't think I spent more than 20 minutes in a single chamber.

Steam's timer can be pretty screwy.

Johnas

Finally got around to finishing P2 this afternoon.

Valve did an excellent job overall, the game feels like a true sequel in all regards, imo. New puzzle elements, an expanded story, a longer game. I was surprised to find myself missing some of the novelty I experienced from playing the first game, I've only played through it once and it was a good while ago, I thought P2 would feel fresher due to those reasons. A minor nitpick at best, though.

Is there a way to check playtime on the PS3 version? I feel like I definitely spent 10 hours or so. There were a few puzzles near the end that had me stumped for longer than I care to admit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has Garry Whitta been posting in here? Because I'm a big Stephen Merchant fan, but for some reason his voice in this reminds me of when I heard Garry's on a podcast, haha. Garry can voice the future DLC I guess.

jackdoe

Lone_Prodigy said:
Steam says 8 hours for me, but I didn't have much trouble with the game. In comparison, I beat Portal 1 in 3 hours.
Eight hours? I beat it in 6 hours! So take that. I got less value from single player than you so I win.

But seriously, Valve should have at least had various difficulty levels, with the difficulty levels equating to the "challenge maps" of the original.

Steam says it took me almost 8 hours, but xfire says 7. I don't know what to believe...
Though in reality it's probably less than either, because I had to leave it running on pause for 20 minutes or a couple of times.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
how many chapters are there? its starting to get boring for me.

f0rk

mattiewheels said:
Has Garry Whitta been posting in here? Because I'm a big Stephen Merchant fan, but for some reason his voice in this reminds me of when I heard Garry's on a podcast, haha. Garry can voice the future DLC I guess.

Daft racist

Dug

Banned
Is there a proper way to pronounce GLaDOS? I've heard Valve employees pronouncing it in many different ways.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
f0rk said:
Daft racist
Speaking of that, Steve Coogan should have some kind of part in Portal 3, lol.

Dax01 said:
Just finished my commentary run. I gotta admit, I'm kind of disappointed. There are that many of them.
Yeah... it started off pretty well but then it's like they forgot to put them in / ran out of time.

purple cobra said:
I am taking my sweet ass time with this game, made it to chapter 9 I think. I don't usually get to play the game till about a certain time every evening. Plus it's like I don't want it to end :lol

Feels so good to finally beat a puzzle that had you stumped for a while and then you get that "eureka" moment and smack your forehead for not seeing it sooner. Game looks/runs so nicely on PS3 also. Love the use of lighting and shadows in one particular section.

The game's pretty funny too. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. Especially the lines/delivery of
JK Simmons. His lemon rant was a classic!

I'll most likely finish it today, and then it's time for a replay right afterwards. :)
that was one of the first lines of the game they wrote, and its one of the very few that stayed in from the early draft of the story
giantbomb has a spoiler cast that id recommend after finishing it

I finished SP on ps3 earlier. it was fun. Ending was cute. Going back to do some more SP trophies and i guess i'll start on PC for the same achievements and try coop there lol. ;(

BackwardsSuggestions said:
I'm probably the only ones, but god damn chapters 6&7 are bad.
I really don't like the gel mechanic. I rather the actual test chambers.
In what way? I thought they were fantastic. The sense of awe you get from the underground of Aperture is fuckin awesome.

This complaint makes me laugh.

celebi23

I'm almost done with SP.
Just entering the final boss fight with Wheatley now. Wheatley as the villain = fucking awesome.
I wanted to savor the last parts of the game last & real life crap kinda came up. So far, it's a 10/10 GOTY for me. I'll probably get into it more when I'm finished but, Valve really nailed the atmosphere with the game.
You really get a sense of how fucking huge Aperature Science actually is. You have the numerous levels of previous enrichment centers below the present-day Aperture Science. It's amazing how Valve pulled it off. Valve turned a small Orange Box add-on into an amazing stand alone game.
I'll probably post more when I actually finish the game.

ZephyrFate said:
In what way? I thought they were fantastic. The sense of awe you get from the underground of Aperture is fuckin awesome.

This complaint makes me laugh.

Seems like a valid complaint to me.

I enjoyed the gel but once it was introduced it seemed like it was in every testing chamber. I would have preferred more variety and less gel.

big ander

VGChampion said:
Seems like a valid complaint to me.

I enjoyed the gel but once it was introduced it seemed like it was in every testing chamber. I would have preferred more variety and less gel.
I am confused as to what is wrong with introducing a mechanic and then continuing to use it.
Yes, the gel was in a lot of the rest of the game. So were lasers and faith plates. Especially in coop, you use all of these together because they're all elements of the puzzle. In the end and through different combinations of elements, I sure as hell feel we got more variety.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
celebi23 said:
I'm almost done with SP.
Just entering the final boss fight with Wheatley now. Wheatley as the villain = fucking awesome.
I wanted to savor the last parts of the game last & real life crap kinda came up. So far, it's a 10/10 GOTY for me. I'll probably get into it more when I'm finished but, Valve really nailed the atmosphere with the game.
You really get a sense of how fucking huge Aperature Science actually is. You have the numerous levels of previous enrichment centers below the present-day Aperture Science. It's amazing how Valve pulled it off. Valve turned a small Orange Box add-on into an amazing stand alone game.
I'll probably post more when I actually finish the game.

Oh yes, trust me, you'll be back to post more after the boss battle

Speevy said:
I didn't think I would ever say this about Portal 2, but this game is too long.

I think it feels longer due to all the loading screens, but I think it was a perfect length. At first when I got to the final boss I was like "no way I don't want it to end!" But then I realized if it had gone for too much longer it may have felt repetitive. And plus I still have the co-op to play through so I'm excited for that.

celebi23 said:
I'm almost done with SP.

I absolutely loved having a power-hungry complete moron as your nemesis for the second half. It was so much more fun than having a competent villain like GLaDOS.

_RT_

Mzo said:
The portals weren't instant in Portal 1, you could (and had to for some challenges) peek out through a portal, shoot a new one, and scoot back before it hit the wall and changed the destination. Definitely not instant.
Wat? I never had to do that. Beat all the challenge maps too.

bathala

Banned
just finished the game in 2 sittings. really like it.

really like Valve's level design. it doesn't hold ur hand where to go, but its obvious enough.

it was a fun game.
no cake
:S

celebi23

Yep, I'm back. Just finished the game.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Shooting a portal at the MOON?? I accidentally read a spoiler a few days ago & I thought, no fucking way. Not even Valve could pull that off. But, I was wrong. Wow, just, wow. 10/10, GOTY, etc. Credits music was awesome as usual. Wheatly "preparing" by watching videos from when GLaDOS was originally killed? Awesome. Really made me think outside of the box. Truly fullfilling boss battle.

I did have one question though, why did it list "Still Alive" if that song never played during Portal 2? What happens to Chell now? I mean, it's some 200+ years after the first Portal. Isn't everyone she knew dead? Nice little throwback with the WCC at the end :D Anyhoo, gonna take a few days off from Portal & then tackle Co-Op at some point. Or, I might try & get some more of those achievements & then take a break. Amazing game Valve. Absolutely fucking amazing. I honestly have a huge fucking grin on my face right now :D
I'll probably has some more notes later but, I'm set for now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
damn that's nice said:
*shaking my head*

I'm sorry I didn't find your video to be impressive. I'm assuming it's your video as it's likely the only person who would consider glitching to make a jump that is necessary in the game "wicked sick" is the one who created said video.

Edit: Wait, it's not a glitch. You have to do that to get up there. For some reason I thought the person was flying out of the initial orange portal despite going through another orange portal.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
celebi23 said:
Yep, I'm back. Just finished the game.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Shooting a portal at the MOON?? I accidentally read a spoiler a few days ago & I thought, no fucking way. Not even Valve could pull that off. But, I was wrong. Wow, just, wow. 10/10, GOTY, etc. Credits music was awesome as usual. Wheatly "preparing" by watching videos from when GLaDOS was originally killed? Awesome. Really made me think outside of the box. Truly fullfilling boss battle.

I did have one question though, why did it list "Still Alive" if that song never played during Portal 2? What happens to Chell now? I mean, it's some 200+ years after the first Portal. Isn't everyone she knew dead? Nice little throwback with the WCC at the end :D Anyhoo, gonna take a few days off from Portal & then tackle Co-Op at some point. Or, I might try & get some more of those achievements & then take a break. Amazing game Valve. Absolutely fucking amazing. I honestly have a huge fucking grin on my face right now :D
I'll probably has some more notes later but, I'm set for now.

There is one radio that plays Still Alive and actually that helps in an achievement

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hawkian said:
I um.. did that.

To be clear: the jumping part, not the spending a week getting it right and uploading it to youtube.

Originally, I thought the person was coming out of the orange portal he/she jumped from despite falling through another orange portal, which is why I said it was a glitch. Now, though, I don't understand how it's a "trickshot" considering you have to do such a manoeuvre to get up there. Isn't it the office area in which you find
PotatOS
?

Top Bottom