• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Jintor

legport2.jpg

Fuck. Yes.

StuBurns

Banned
Goon Boon said:
Didn't we destroy the core that only talked about making a cake in the first game, meaning she doesn't give a crap about cake anymore?
I thought about that, but there is still a cake joke, so it's not all gone.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Jintor said:

"Oh, its you. It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know... after you murdered me? *sighs* Okay look, we both said a lot of things that you are going to regret. But I think we should put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Goon Boon said:
Didn't we destroy the core that only talked about making a cake in the first game, meaning she doesn't give a crap about cake anymore?
This is great, haha.

linsivvi said:
Just got all trophies except 2. Got all the co-op trophies by playing with 2 controllers at the same time. God damn PSN!
Co op Portal is one of the most fun gameplay experiences I've had in years. Playing through by yourself must suck by comparison. Damn you, PSN.

Sn4ke_911 said:
"Oh, its you. It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know... after you murdered me? *sighs* Okay look, we both said a lot of things that you are going to regret. But I think we should put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

I like how this speech is pretty much the opposite to the one she's having
at the end of the game just after Caroline is deleted

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeeDog said:
Is it known yet if playing Portal 2 (PS3) offline and then syncing your trophies (when PSN resumes) also unlocks the Steam achievements? Or are you required to be logged onto Steam when you unlock the trophy too? I have postponed my single-player run in fear of missing the Steam achievements, but I'm bored to death and want to continue. Any word on this?

P.S. I'm aware no one has had the opportunity to test this (aside from perhaps the first two Portal 2 days), but I hope someone has asked/read an answer on the Steam boards.
I feel like it will fix itself. When PSN was working, the game would update the Steam cloud when you were finished with your session. I assume that, once PSN is up again, the cloud should synchronize itself and Steam achievements will appear.

StuBurns

Banned
What about if you haven't linked the accounts at all though? If you've linked accounts, then earn achievements while offline they apparently sync, but I wonder about people who didn't even link accounts (like myself), I don't personally care though.

BeeDog

Just finished the single-player campaign on PS3. Some short thoughs:

Pros:

+ Artistically amazing. The Source engine has received a huge facelift; the new (object?) motion blur looks great, and the lighting upgrades are beautiful. The many areas in the games also look excellent, and some places have a proper sense of scale. The IQ of the PS3 version is also splendid.
+ GLaDOS was the highlight of the game, script-wise. Good stuff.
+ Perfectly balanced difficulty. Some areas took a short while to figure out, but I never had to resort to a guide online to solve stuff.
+ Good length to the single-player campaign. The first one disappointed me with its length, but this time around I didn't feel cheated. It also didn't overstay its welcome.
+ Polished all-around. Aside from some odd audio glitches, the package feels very tight. Valve are good at making the package appear tight, and coupled with the Steam integration, I have no real objections.
+ Great ending. One of the few single-player games lately that have proper conclusions! The last boss fight was fun.
+ The scripted destruction sequences are fucking amazing, and they need to use this feature as much as possible in their upcoming games. Very impressive.

Cons:

- Too many areas relied on the "find a white surface" gimmick. A bit of a shame, really.
- The amount of loading screens, ugh. The Source engine really needs some streaming features, promptly.
- Surprisingly, I didn't like Wheatley that much in this game. The script felt overly forced, and many of his jokes fell flat for me. I much preferred GLaDOS, and
Cave Johnson
was solid as well. Not the funniest games I've played, that's for sure. The voice acting was fine overall, though.
- Valve needs to update its soundbanks; recognized quite a few samples from Half-Life 2. Thank God they didn't stick with the typical Windows-esque Source menus at least.
- The only graphical oddity that stood out was the portal gun; why didn't the environment cast any shadows on it?

Anyway, the game's really good. I found Portal 1 to be a great disappointment, but this one's so much better in every way. Can't wait to play through the co-op when PSN goes back up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
derFeef said:
Portal 1 a disappointment? That game did not even had expectations.

Only if you got to it early. Most of us went into the game at or around the time of its release knowing nothing more than it's a short puzzle game featuring portals set in Aperture Science. Those who got around to it later than that had the piles upon piles of positive opinions influencing their expectations of the game.

Edit: Beatededen.

webrunner

StuBurns said:
What about if you haven't linked the accounts at all though? If you've linked accounts, then earn achievements while offline they apparently sync, but I wonder about people who didn't even link accounts (like myself), I don't personally care though.

Well, I noticed that if you bring up the overlay, there's two tabs: one begs you to sync your accounts and log into steam, the other is your steam achievements, which is a full list of all your trophies you've got. This is without logging in to PSN, but it still registers them in the local "client" as steam achievements.

Whether these sync up to the swerver at the time I couldn't say.

StuBurns

Banned
webrunner said:
Well, I noticed that if you bring up the overlay, there's two tabs: one begs you to sync your accounts and log into steam, the other is your steam achievements, which is a full list of all your trophies you've got. This is without logging in to PSN, but it still registers them in the local "client" as steam achievements.

Whether these sync up to the swerver at the time I couldn't say.
Yeah I noticed that, I think they will all sync up fine. It's quite frustrating PSN is dead, so far I haven't really been put out by anything, I would have bought Outland but it can wait, but I really want to claim my Portal 2 (although I won't be actually installing it till I get my next computer probably) and just have the Steam stuff up and working.

cackhyena

I only finished Portal 1 over the weekend and it lived up to the hype for me. I can't explain why the game stuck with me so much. The puzzles weren't particularly hard, and playing on my PC, the game, while still very good looking, didn't blow me away, graphically. It's just this feeling of how the ...story, if you want to call it that, played out. Felt very personal.

Valve games have always been kinda clunky, control wise for me. The portals are fun, but it just must have been the events and how they played out that made it so memorable. I'm ready for the broadening of scope that this one delivers. If my PS3 copy would ever get here. I just wish I could play it on Steam instead, but who knows. Maybe I'll dig the controller more for this game.

Nizz

GodfatherX said:
that was one of the first lines of the game they wrote, and its one of the very few that stayed in from the early draft of the story
giantbomb has a spoiler cast that id recommend after finishing it
Answering late but I'll definitely check the spoilercast once I'm done. :) On Chapter 9 now, I've only been playing about an hour a night. I'm so damn close! :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
BeeDog said:
- The only graphical oddity that stood out was the portal gun; why didn't the environment cast any shadows on it?

That's because the Source engine doesn't support dynamic shadows. The dynamic shadows cast in the game are actually faked in some way.

edit: I have no evidence on this one...I remember reading about it after the release of Episode Two but am unable to relocate it.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Not a huge console FPS gamer but since PSN is down I can't DL the PC steam version. Been playing slowly, it's fun a very crafty but I couldn't help but laugh after going back to the release time (after midnight on the 19th) and reading some impressions. People 20 minutes in "OMG GOTG VALVE DOES IT AGAIN!!" The game is slick but cmon lol.

Can't wait to get home and get a little more time in. I'm well into the light bridge levels. The GLaDOS lines have been pretty funny, not hilarious as has been said. Definitely playing it through on PS3 then again on PC.

BeeDog

TheExodu5 said:
That's because the Source engine doesn't support dynamic shadows. The dynamic shadows cast in the game are actually faked in some way.

That sounds strange, I don't think it's true. I mean, what about the areas in the game with full dynamic lighting (with bouncing shadows)? You can see shadows being projected on movable objects outside of the environment (e.g. GLaDOS, the boxes, and even Chell in 3rd person mode). I simply think they overlooked the 1st person weapon view.

webrunner

BeeDog said:
That sounds strange, I don't think it's true. I mean, what about the areas in the game with full dynamic lighting (with bouncing shadows)? You can see shadows being projected on movable objects outside of the environment (e.g. GLaDOS, the boxes, and even Chell in 3rd person mode). I simply think they overlooked the 1st person weapon view.

yeah, look at the Wheatley flashlight segment- if those are "faked" that's some pretty awesome faking.

mclaren777

Do any of you guys know a good place to download HD playthroughs of this game?

IGN has some great videos but you can only download them if you're a paying member. I'm currently planning to watch this 1080p series of videos but I was hoping to find either a PC or PS3 playthrough for the added visual quality.

Thanks in advance.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't remember the exact explanation, but I remember reading that the shadows added in Episode Two were faked.

Don't take my word for gospel...I have no hard evidence on this one.

MrPliskin

Banned
Am I right in assuming that the PC version is the only one you can customize your co-op bots? I dont' remember seeing this while playing on PS3.

MrPliskin said:
Am I right in assuming that the PC version is the only one you can customize your co-op bots? I dont' remember seeing this while playing on PS3.
How do you get more items? All I have is that silly hat you get for beating the campaign.

BeeDog

TheExodu5 said:
I don't remember the exact explanation, but I remember reading that the shadows added in Episode Two were faked.

Don't take my word for gospel...I have no hard evidence on this one.

Episode Two has baked shadows throughout; the only dynamic light source is the flashlight that the player wields, which causes objects to cast shadows. I also think it enabled self-shadowing. Portal 2 is an immense step up over Episode Two, that's for sure.

Game Analyst said:
Is Portal 2's DLC coming out for PS3 and 360?

Can't think why it won't come to PS3, as the PC, Mac and PS3 should have the same ingame content due to Steamworks. It will probably also come to the 360, but it might have a price.

The "Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack" will add the Dutch as a playable nation, with Harold Bluetooth as their figurehead.

lol

TheExodu5

Banned
BeeDog said:
Episode Two has baked shadows throughout; the only dynamic light source is the flashlight that the player wields, which causes objects to cast shadows. I also think it enabled self-shadowing. Portal 2 is an immense step up over Episode Two, that's for sure.

Something about it was poorly implemented and/or faked though...I remember just turning on your flashlight would halve the framerate.

I'll have to play Portal 2 again...but were there really any dynamic shadows outside of Wheatley's flashlight? I can't really recall.

BeeDog

TheExodu5 said:
Something about it was poorly implemented and/or faked though...I remember just turning on your flashlight would halve the framerate.

I'll have to play Portal 2 again...but were there really any dynamic shadows outside of Wheatley's flashlight? I can't really recall.

Yes, most notably when the entire test chambers moved and shadows were moving all around. The best lighting show in the game is when the big-ass security door opens and red alarm lights cast shadows.

Mayhaps I'm the only one who is completely disollusioned by the idea of Portal 2 DLC, coming "this summer." I've spent about 80% of my adult life waiting for DLC for Valve games that 'right around the corner.' But maybe Portal will be different...

The Albatross said:
Mayhaps I'm the only one who is completely disollusioned by the idea of Portal 2 DLC, coming "this summer." I've spent about 80% of my adult life waiting for DLC for Valve games that 'right around the corner.' But maybe Portal will be different...
"This summer" in Valve time does not actually mean June-August 2011.

Minamu

Would I get steam achievements retroactively if I start playing the ps3 version offline before PSN is back up, if I haven't had the chance to link my psn account to steam, for obvious reasons?

The Lamonster said:
"This summer" in Valve time does not actually mean June-August 2011.

Aye. "This summer," which all normal people define as June 20 to September 21, will become "Quarter 2 2011," which is much more nebulous because you don't know if they mean fiscal quarter 2, or seasonal quarter 2, or what. Naturally, "Quarter 2" will become "Q2 2011," which will be one step away from merely, "Second Half 2011." Now we're looking anywhere from June 15 - December 31. Second half 2011 will probably become simply, "2011," which is one typo or one stealth wikipedia edit away from becoming "2012." And, well, we all know the world is ending in 2012, so who can stick to definite 2012 release dates am I right?

webrunner

The Albatross said:
Aye. "This summer," which all normal people define as June 20 to September 21, will become "Quarter 2 2011," which is much more nebulous because you don't know if they mean fiscal quarter 2, or seasonal quarter 2, or what. Naturally, "Quarter 2" will become "Q2 2011," which will be one step away from merely, "Second Half 2011." Now we're looking anywhere from June 15 - December 31. Second half 2011 will probably become simply, "2011," which is one typo or one stealth wikipedia edit away from becoming "2012." And, well, we all know the world is ending in 2012, so who can stick to definite 2012 release dates am I right?

The Valve Internal QA Testing Centre would like to assure that testing and development may continue in case of catastrophic planetary destruction.

Minamu said:
Would I get steam achievements retroactively if I start playing the ps3 version offline before PSN is back up, if I haven't had the chance to link my psn account to steam, for obvious reasons?

Nobody's sure but evidence points to yes (bring up the steam overlay and go to your achievements tab, it's still there even though you're not logged into steam)

TheExodu5 said:

The Source engine is constantly updated. Even if they faked the lighting in ep2 that is no reason to think this lighting was entirely faked as well. I'm of the opinion that 70% (arbitrary number) of rooms had faked lighting and 30% had "real" lighting.

Nappuccino said:
The Source engine is constantly updated. Even if they faked the lighting in ep2 that is no reason to think this lighting was entirely faked as well. I'm of the opinion that 70% (arbitrary number) of rooms had faked lighting and 30% had "real" lighting.
At this point I don't even think it matters. Portal 2 looks amazing and runs buttery smooth. I was playing co-op last night and couldn't believe how well it ran and also the lack of any lag whatsoever. I really love the water and the reflections on the water.

Top Bottom