• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Sibylus

Banned
This is seriously going to push me over the edge into making some Portal mapz post-haste. The possibilities are just too maddening.

d0c_zaius

Gary Whitta said:
Just finished single-player tonight, absolutely fantastic game, further cementing Valve's status as god-tier creators.

I just finished it as well.

Design-wise I think its pretty flawless.

Story and atmosphere were enthralling. I haven't been this sucked in since Bioshock.

A true example of a sequel!

NZNova

Articalys said:
Alright, that clinches it. Impossible space world portals are the greatest development I have ever seen for video game map design.

I agree, but the Marathon series was doing this many years ago, it's not really a new development :)

They called it overlapping in 5D space back then.

ZephyrFate said:
Valve did it better.

Valve did it once in their final game, for convenience. All the impressive bits that have come from world portals have been from the community. :p

But yeah, world portals really aren't anything new to gaming.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Valve did it once in their final game, for convenience. All the impressive bits that have come from world portals have been from the community. :p

But yeah, world portals really aren't anything new to gaming.
It doesn't matter if it was original... presentation is everything.

ZephyrFate said:
It doesn't matter if it was original... presentation is everything.

The point of my comment was that Valve didn't do anything particularly great with it. So saying "Valve did it better" seems weird to me. The community made it interesting, Valve just finally added support for something like that to their engine.

Articalys

Then, can anyone locate a gameplay video from Marathon that demonstrates how they execute the concept there? I'd like to see how Bungie handled it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
REV 09 said:
Chapter 2 so far, just getting started. It isn't very good looking on 360. Writing aside, it's been meh overall. I'm not sure I like the core "game"; Kinda feels like work. I'll obviously finish it though...I'm sure it will win me over.

Also, loading screens suck. I haven't seen them this abused in a long time.
I almost wonder if the loading screens are just a product of the way Valve makes games. I think they like having their game maps very compartmentalized for easier editing. They've been doing it since Half-Life 1 and carried it over to Source, it's just that up until now the game only froze with "Loading" in the middle instead of a dedicated loading screen with Portal 2.

sykoex said:
I almost wonder if the loading screens are just a product of the way Valve makes games. I think they like having their game maps very compartmentalized for easier editing. They've been doing it since Half-Life 1 and carried it over to Source, it's just that up until now the game only froze with "Loading" in the middle instead of a dedicated loading screen with Portal 2.
It's most likely just a limitation of Source.

sykoex said:

I didn't mind it that much in Portal 2, because it wasn't abrupt and you definitely knew it was coming, save for a few spots here and there(unlike in Half-Life 2). But it is still pretty annoying to be taken out of the moment to be hit with a loading screen. I think it's a limitation of Source/Hammer, not so much the way Valve makes their maps.

Lunchbox

Banned
Just started, the narrow field of view on consoles is really bothering me and making me queezy after an hour :(

Wish I could edit it, right now it's like looking through a small window that's moving really fast and making me sick

Lunchbox said:
Just started, the narrow field of view on consoles is really bothering me and making me queezy after an hour :(

Wish I could edit it, right now it's like looking through a small window that's moving really fast and making me sick

What made you get it for a console...? The only acceptable answer to this I can think of is "I have friends on the 360 that want to play with me."

MNC said:
Have world portals been in other SDKs as well? It would work so good in a few of my mods...

Only in Alien Swarm as far as I know.

Lunchbox

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
What made you get it for a console...? The only acceptable answer to this I can think of is "I have friends on the 360 that want to play with me."

Only in Alien Swarm as far as I know.
I'm poor so gamefly brah

I'll get it later

Sporran

finished this last night on first play through, what a lovely game. Made me a little sad that i didnt play Portal 1.

But such a nice change to have a game that isnt racing, shooting, etc and use your brain. Loved it, cant wait to try the cross play now :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sporran said:
finished this last night on first play through, what a lovely game. Made me a little sad that i didnt play Portal 1.

But such a nice change to have a game that isnt racing, shooting, etc and use your brain. Loved it, cant wait to try the cross play now :)

wat.

I just finished it! I really like it a lot. Now off to the Spoiler thread!

One problem I have with the game, though. The "fun" comes from solving puzzles, NOT looking and searching to find the little far away strip of white wall where you can shoot a portal. I hope that Valve includes a mode where you can highlight all portal surfaces in your view. BIG Spoiler:
Not including white gel surfaces, though. Or the moon. lol. I still can't get over that.

Luthos

I'm already replaying Portal 2. Maybe because I don't really know what to play and I want to play something. Also, I really enjoyed it the first time I played it.

And the more I think about it, the more I loved this game. It's probably up there in my top games of this gen. Though I'm not sure where.

Alrus

Finished the single player campaign in one go, it was awesome. Voice Acting was great, the plot was well written and insteresting and the puzzles were fun. All in all a very entertaining experience, I'm almost sad I finished it so fast.

A minor gripe would be the puzzles a relatively simple, I wouldn't mind a bit more complexity.

Now to find someone else to play co-op with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
It is hard to believe that some people still haven't played Portal. It's damn near required reading as far as I'm concerned.

Even moreso when you get your hands on the sequel.

Just finished the game last night, so good. Too "bad" PSN is down, I'm going to have to play through again to get my Steam achievements... I'm actually looking forward to it though :)

StuBurns

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Just finished the game last night, so good. Too "bad" PSN is down, I'm going to have to play through again to get my Steam achievements... I'm actually looking forward to it though :)
You probably won't need to do that.

deleted

Just finished the SP and I really liked it - but I found the game to be a bit on the easy side of things. Maybe its because of a portal 1 learn effect or because the puzzles never went that complex in this one, but almost half of the levels felt like a tutorial for a new thing or a combination of things.

I'm looking forward to the Co-Op and the DLC thats coming. I wonder if Valve manages to squeeze some competition mode in it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
xyla said:
Just finished the SP and I really liked it - but I found the game to be a bit on the easy side of things. Maybe its because of a portal 1 learn effect or because the puzzles never went that complex in this one, but almost half of the levels felt like a tutorial for a new thing or a combination of things.

I'm looking forward to the Co-Op and the DLC thats coming. I wonder if Valve manages to squeeze some competition mode in it?

Want to be my co-op buddy?

Ogni-XR21

Just finished it, overall great game. But I found Portal 1 to be more challenging at times... maybe because I played it on a friends 360 and this one on PC which makes controls much more intuitive for me.

It's nice that they didn't repeat puzzles from part 1 but a lot of the 'gain momentum going through portals' was missing imo.

Update
Fixed: Occasional crash after Alt-Tab/minimizing or running in a window on certain graphics hardware.
Fixed: Crashes and/or graphical glitches after changing video settings without exiting game
Fixed: Player stuck at the beginning of Chapter 6
Fixed: Crash attempting to use other weapons (e.g. mods) with Portal 2
Fixed: Mouse cursor doesn’t highlight UI elements in game on Mac OSX
Fixed: Numerous localization bugs and improvements (also added Czech and Turkish localized text)
Fixed: Overflow bug in keyvalues
Fixed: Voice functionality regression (voice again enabled by default)
Fixed: Joystick now defaults to off in order to avoid issues with non-joystick hardware that registers itself as a joystick
Fixed: French sentences are not wrapping correctly in subtitles and commentary
Improved: Handling of Mac OSX crashes
Improved: Updates and bug fixes to Robot Enrichment
Improved: Reliability on unsupported Intel Mobile Series 4 Express chipsets
Removed: Unsupported console commands (“retry”, “switch_teams”) that caused problems if used

Bolded a patch note that stuck out to me
"Updates" to robot enrichment sounds like more hats, someone check

Exuro

balladofwindfishes said:
Update

Bolded a patch note that stuck out to me
"Updates" to robot enrichment sounds like more hats, someone check
Doesn't look like it. There is a flag bundle though. Don't think that was there before.

Zomba13

Has there been any word on the potato sack skin? Or by Portal 2 skin did they mean you get the potato hat from your TF2 backpack?

Top Bottom