• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Why did you mention the 360 specifically? It would be pretty harsh for Valve to give free DLC to every platform but the 360.
I assume it's because of Microsoft's stance on free DLC that Valve had issues with previously.

And lmao @ the avatars.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And to think some were convinced that the store meant Valve were going to charge for the DLC.

I'm not surprised MS relaxed their stance on free DLC. It wouldn't look good for them to have the X360 as the only platform out of 4 with a price attached to the content.

Does anyone want to do some Steam Co-op tonight? I've only done the first two "Worlds" on PS3, and I'm tired of waiting for PSN to come back, so does anyone want to do some co-op on Steam tonight?

Add me: sog_inferno

JaseC said:
And to think some were convinced that the store meant Valve were going to charge for the DLC.

I'm not surprised MS relaxed their stance on free DLC. It wouldn't look good for them to have the X360 as the only platform out of 4 with a price attached to the content.
I was worried MS was going to charge for it and be the only one. Thankfully that's not the case.

CougRon

I could have sworn in the first year or two of the 360 Major Nelson put out on his blog some guidelines for the xbox store that required a developer to not charge for content on the 360 if it was free on other platforms...

StuBurns

Banned
CougRon said:
I could have sworn in the first year or two of the 360 Major Nelson put out on his blog some guidelines for the xbox store that required a developer to not charge for content on the 360 if it was free on other platforms...
Other platforms just means PS3. They still make people charge for PC.

JackEtc

Hey, does anyone still have their copy of the first Portal that they got with their preorder? I have a friend who I think would enjoy Portal a lot, and I'd be cool if someone could hook her up with a copy they might have left over. I had her play through First Slice, and I think she is intrigued.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JackEtc said:
Hey, does anyone still have their copy of the first Portal that they got with their preorder? I have a friend who I think would enjoy Portal a lot, and I'd be cool if someone could hook her up with a copy they might have left over. I had her play through First Slice, and I think she is intrigued.

Send Teknoman a PM that says "Hawkian says I deserve your copy of Portal!"

D'oh, sorry for the DP, thought it was in the other thread.

Portal 2 just blew up my video card :(

Eh, I guess it was time. Also gives me an excuse to replace the dead 3-year-old 8800 GTS with a GTX 460...and 2 more GB of RAM. A tip of the hat to Valve for making the game look so good on oldish hardware (even if you did eventually kill it :p)

I can sort of wait to start playing it, I guess...I'm somewhere in Chapter 7, kind of at a lull.

Mike.83

I managed to get this finished this morning after having to take a break as it developed a crashing bug for some reason, thankfully last nights patch fixed it.

I loved it from start to finish. It's been an utter joy to play through. I've now got to talk my brother into playing the first game, then this one, so we can multiplayer it together once he's done.

Can't wait for the DLC and stuff to get even more from it.

REV 09

Hawkian said:
I'm sure I won't agree with you, but I'm curious. What do you mean here?
The writing, voice acting, and scripted events are the best parts. think about some of the most significant parts of the game and then think about what you as the player actually did during those parts; it likely wasn't much. The puzzles are ok, though the novelty of Portal 1 has worn off.

Maybe I should phrase it as, "Portal 2 is a better experience than it is a game." I've mostly been walking across bland catwalks looking for spots where I can use my portal gun.

I'm currently on Ch 8.

epmode

Mechanical Snowman said:
Why did you mention the 360 specifically? It would be pretty harsh for Valve to give free DLC to every platform but the 360.
Because Microsoft *hates* to put any significant DLC up for free. They feel it devalues the existing horse armor bullshit. Thankfully, Sony already signed on to the Steamworks setup so Microsoft would look especially horrible if they charged.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think Steamworks has anything to do with it.

And I agree Portal 2 is better written than it is a game. I think it's probably the best written game ever and only in the top ten as a game though, so I still pretty highly of it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Trying to get a game of co-op on XBL is tricky with randoms, I wish it was easier to set up on any level you like. If anyone fancies it I'm online now, Jedeye Sniv.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Trying to get a game of co-op on XBL is tricky with randoms, I wish it was easier to set up on any level you like. If anyone fancies it I'm online now, Jedeye Sniv.
What chapter you on? I'm on chapter 3 if you want to play?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Watching all of the Cave Johnson viral ads after finishing the game is quite funny. He mentions the name of his female assistant, and you can hear the "I'm different" turret in the lineup.

Going back for some Trohpies I guess there is actually more of a nod to HL2 than I noticed before.
Borealis
departed from Aperture?

Sai-kun

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Has there been any word on the potato sack skin? Or by Portal 2 skin did they mean you get the potato hat from your TF2 backpack?
Mechanical Snowman said:
This, is the SDK even out yet?

I'd really like to play around with this, I hope it's not out of my league.

Would've been funnier if there was a post between these two, but still funny.

Crazetex

So amazing. I just beat it, and I am completely and utterly impressed with everything. I found only one flaw, which was a strange overlay of testing element music on classical music in a single level.

This is my favorite game. Forever.

Jintor

5633342960_9952d02123.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
though certainly creative and excellent, i find the game a little exhausting after a few rooms. not that the game necessarily needs to pander to my level of intelligence (low, low, low) or anything, but walking through puzzle after puzzle after puzzle instead of navigating an environment and being tasked with solving portal puzzles every five to ten minutes can be a little trying.

StuBurns

Banned
beelzebozo said:
though certainly creative and excellent, i find the game a little exhausting after a few rooms. not that the game necessarily needs to pander to my level of intelligence (low, low, low) or anything, but walking through puzzle after puzzle after puzzle instead of navigating an environment and being tasked with solving portal puzzles every five to ten minutes can be a little trying.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but there are periods of traversal like in the first game, stick with it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
StuBurns said:
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but there are periods of traversal like in the first game, stick with it.

i'm in the
aperture laboratories, doing the orange and blue gel experiments. maybe it's just these few floors, but dealing with the gels and navigating these test rooms is getting a little. . . boring? is that nuts? maybe from puzzle to puzzle i'm not getting the sense that i'm doing anything impressive or new with my portal knowledge; so the process of solving the portal puzzles is mentally taxing without making me feel like i'm really doing a lot that's "new" per se.
i could be totally wrong about this. it's a very impressive game. i think there are different ways what i'm talking about (which could be a totally personal feeling, i concede) could be alleviated, and one of those ways just happens to be--as you say--a higher amount of traversal or portals as a means of travel rather than just portals as means of puzzle solving. that sounds so nebulous.

StuBurns

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i'm in the
aperture laboratories, doing the orange and blue gel experiments. maybe it's just these few floors, but dealing with the gels and navigating these test rooms is getting a little. . . boring? is that nuts? maybe from puzzle to puzzle i'm not getting the sense that i'm doing anything impressive or new with my portal knowledge; so the process of solving the portal puzzles is mentally taxing without making me feel like i'm really doing a lot that's "new" per se.
i could be totally wrong about this. it's a very impressive game. i think there are different ways what i'm talking about (which could be a totally personal feeling, i concede) could be alleviated, and one of those ways just happens to be--as you say--a higher amount of traversal or portals as a means of travel rather than just portals as means of puzzle solving. that sounds so nebulous.
I can see what you mean.

In the first game you are essentially taught the mechanics of the game for the first two thirds, than the final third you're asked to use those things to finish the game without the specific chambers. Keep pushing on, it's going to come together pretty soon for you I think.

jax (old)

Banned
StuBurns said:
I can see what you mean.

In the first game you are essentially taught the mechanics of the game for the first two thirds, than the final third you're asked to use those things to finish the game without the specific chambers. Keep pushing on, it's going to come together pretty soon for you I think.

to be fair, that's when the game "got good for me" so if he don't think its interesting.. it really isn't going to get better.

The early stages in the game were the truly boring ones.
Room Load Room Load Room Load. zzzzz

StuBurns

Banned
Jax said:
to be fair, that's when the game "got good for me" so if he don't think its interesting.. it really isn't going to get better.

The early stages in the game were the truly boring ones.
Room Load Room Load Room Load. zzzzz
I think chapter 6 is the weakest.

StuBurns

Banned
Light spoilers pertaining to voice overs primarily.

The first chapter was nice in that I liked seeing the reworked levels, it was interesting to see how the designers rethought the very basic lessons about portals, however the voice over in the first section was really boring for me, we didn't get to know who that voice was, the jokes were fine but it felt kind of cold and out of the blue. But after that, being back with Glados doing the voice overs and the new puzzles I loved it, it was like a reunion, it's the most typical sequel-ish section and I liked that a lot.

The chapters directly after the supplanting were funny, and interesting to look at, but I didn't really like the early paint puzzles, however when we got to use them for the traversal I liked it more.

Hello, GAF. I am at the final level, and I'm trying to avoid post-boss spoilers.

Quick question:
When does Wheatley start throwing bombs? Because he's not throwing bombs at me.

PS3 Version, currently on loan from a friend.

Thank you. I thought it was one of those clever "anti-pirate" measures that I'd heard about, like in Earthbound, that somehow triggered because I used a friend's copy. Good to know it's not that.

StuBurns

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Thank you. I thought it was one of those clever "anti-pirate" measures that I'd heard about, like in Earthbound, that somehow triggered because I used a friend's copy. Good to know it's not that.
A few people have had the issue on here yeah, it kind of sucks such a major bug made the gold candidate, someone should have caught it. I've finished it three times and not had it myself though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I had a bug like that, it was really annoying since it was on my first time though.

*Huge spoilers*
He was shooting bombs, but the actual bomb shield he had was suspended in midair higher above him which kept blocking them.

Yeah, the animation would go off, but nothing would happen.

Thanks for the help, guys. Loved the ending. All of it. I need someone to play Co-op with now.

Top Bottom