• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
TheExecutive said:
I wonder why valve didnt bundle portal with portal 2 for like 60 bucks? Maybe next year?

If you pre-ordered Portal 2 you got Portal 1. Though, for 90% of people that meant you got a gift copy of Portal 1.

Minamu

webrunner said:
Nobody's sure but evidence points to yes (bring up the steam overlay and go to your achievements tab, it's still there even though you're not logged into steam)
Nice. I'm still waiting for my ps3 copy to arrive though :( Bloody hate delivery times from the UK to Sweden :( It may be cheaper shipping costs than from within Sweden but it better be when it takes like 3 weeks for stuff to arrive...

Finished up Portal 2 singleplayer yesterday. It was ok. The amount of load screens were ridiculous and I found the game really easy compared to the first.

Question. Is the woman really a human? She seems to survive thousand foot pitfalls quite easily.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Finished up Portal 2 singleplayer yesterday. It was ok. The amount of load screens were ridiculous and I found the game really easy compared to the first.

Question. Is the woman really a human? She seems to survive thousand foot pitfalls quite easily.
she's wearing shock absorbers

gdt

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Never noticed the things on her legs?

Ferrio said:
Yep, in your portal directory. Get GCFscape and you're good to go!
I've been playing through these and it's kind of hard to make into a good listening experience. Each track has multiple versions the game procedurally layers depending on what the player's doing; some tracks are divided into four-second segments the game strings together on the fly. It's impressive in the game but would take some work to make into an actual soundtrack.

NinjaBoiX

To activate the Steam version of Portal 2 with my PlayStation 3 copy, do I need a (functioning) PSN account and my copy of the game, or do I just need the code in the box? Just finished it on PS3, thinking of trading if I can still activate the Steam version later without the game.

StuBurns

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm still on chapter 8, will I regret clicking that link about DLC?
No, but there is literally nothing click worthy about it. It says they're going to announce the DLC next week.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
To activate the Steam version of Portal 2 with my PlayStation 3 copy, do I need a (functioning) PSN account and my copy of the game, or do I just need the code in the box? Just finished it on PS3, thinking of trading if I can still activate the Steam version later without the game.
You need PSN.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
-NinjaBoiX- said:

Once you've linked accounts, you can activate your Steam copy with the code and as far as we know, it's permanently yours. It's just like any other game in your Steam library.

NinjaBoiX

Snuggler said:
Once you've linked accounts, you can activate your Steam copy with the code and as far as we know, it's permanently yours. It's just like any other game in your Steam library.
OK thanks. But do I need to keep my copy of the game for when PSN is back up or just the code from the box? I guess I'm asking, do you redeem the code within the game itself (obviously when PSN is back up), or just as you would in PSN, say with a pre-paid card?

StuBurns

Banned
-NinjaBoiX- said:
OK thanks. But do I need to keep my copy of the game for when PSN is back up or just the code from the box? I guess I'm asking, do you redeem the code within the game itself (obviously when PSN is back up), or just as you would in PSN, say with a pre-paid card?
It's neither, you enter the code on your PC, but you do need to keep the PS3 game until then.

webrunner

-NinjaBoiX- said:

StuBurns said:
It's neither, you enter the code on your PC, but you do need to keep the PS3 game until then.

To specify, you need to have logged in on the PS3 version into steam (which requires PSN) in order for that account to be able to redeem the PC code.

However, it can be a rental copy or whatever.

Princess Skittles said:
I wonder how they would go about that, actually.

A LOT of the music in the game is dynamically generated (which was awesome).
Similar to the Halo games. In that case, the composer just created a mix that would be appropriate for the album.

DarkKyo

Princess Skittles said:
I wonder how they would go about that, actually.

A LOT of the music in the game is dynamically generated (which was awesome).
If you look up some tracks on youtube fans have compiled a lot of that dynamic music into tracks in a sort of fan OST. I recommend it, the tracks are done pretty well for not being official. The youtube pages will have a mediafire link I think.

Well I was able to do 9 of the coop puzzles by myself before I couldn't go any further. And it's not even a hard one but I just can't do the split second timing.

Dechaios said:
If you look up some tracks on youtube fans have compiled a lot of that dynamic music into tracks in a sort of fan OST. I recommend it, the tracks are done pretty well for not being official. The youtube pages will have a mediafire link I think.

Would you mind providing a link?

Edit: Found it.

Sibylus

Banned
Like Episode Two, Portal 2 is a mix of lightmapped/baked light and dynamic light. Unlike Episode Two however, there are numerous dynamic light sources in the environment, often entire test chambers will be lit this way, with small baked lights providing localized contrast and colour. The game probably shipped with some dynamic light optimizations as well.

Anyway, bottom line is that the game's lighting is a phenomenal improvement over that seen in Episode Two and L4D1 & 2. Episode 3/HL3 pushing environmental dynamic lighting even further would be great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
X7h4S.jpg

REV 09

Chapter 2 so far, just getting started. It isn't very good looking on 360. Writing aside, it's been meh overall. I'm not sure I like the core "game"; Kinda feels like work. I'll obviously finish it though...I'm sure it will win me over.

Also, loading screens suck. I haven't seen them this abused in a long time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
REV 09 said:
I'm not sure I like the core "game"; Kinda feels like work.

You have to stop :'(

Play something else. The game at the very least should be fun from start to finish. I can understand complaints about length, difficulty, variation, things being absent... but in your case I think the game is simply not for you.

Medalion

Banned
REV 09 said:
Chapter 2 so far, just getting started. It isn't very good looking on 360. Writing aside, it's been meh overall. I'm not sure I like the core "game"; Kinda feels like work. I'll obviously finish it though...I'm sure it will win me over.

Also, loading screens suck. I haven't seen them this abused in a long time.
Chapter 2 is not anywhere close to where the game gets good

Top Bottom