• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh no, 2 hours for Portal 2 is definitely a great starting point. My brain must've been frazzled from my session of the game :p

Could you provide a link? I'd like to watch it! :)

Sure thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRTmkNvq-uY definitely can be improved upon, for sure.

This one (which I haven't watched all the way through) is also fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhWctI-iJw4 Was a <3 hour run on release day. He's not going for the most extreme speed solutions, but it's great for really easy-to-follow solutions to start out.

Man people knocking a speedrun out on the day of release? Crazy. I lurk SDA where they just spend months planning etc etc.

Thanks for the link! I'll watch it soon.

Proc

Just completed the game. Enjoyed it quite a bit. The cast of characters really made this game memorable and worth re-visiting.

big ander

jambo

Replayed the game yesterday, found some really simple solutions to puzzles that I had come up with wacky alternate solutions for.

I don't use a mic, and I wish there was a better way to tell your partner (I play with randoms) you are leaving without seeming like a rage quitter.

Grisby

So the game is definitely $40 bucks this week at GS right? Rented it for the PS3 but I think I'll buy it for the 360.

Alucrid

Banned
canadian crowe said:
I don't use a mic, and I wish there was a better way to tell your partner (I play with randoms) you are leaving without seeming like a rage quitter.

Message them? Like a quick, "GG"

bumpkin

I picked it up today (for $34.99) and dove right in... After a couple or so hours, I'm at chapter 6 and enjoying it. The puzzles are tricky and the humor is frequently clever. I'm glad that I picked it up. Looking forward to continuing to play and seeing how the events unfold.

Sibylus

Banned
faceless007 said:
The other, which is entirely valid, is that the puzzles are much more restrictive and hand-holding in terms of guiding the player to what to do by only making portalable those surfaces required for the puzzle, as this guy explains well. It's not a matter of knowing how to solve the puzzle but having difficulty executing, it's a matter of knowing how to solve a puzzle within 5 seconds of walking in the door just by looking around.

I enjoyed speedruns of the first game because the fact that all the walls of most chambers were portalable meant people could devise new and fast ways to solve puzzles other than the intended solution. I don't foresee speedruns of 2 being nearly as interesting because for the most part the only solution possible is the intended one.
Not at all. If he was working from his fuzzy recollection of the first game, then I can understand why he made the comic as he did, but it isn't the slightest bit accurate. Portal 1's chambers were wallpapered in inert metals whenever the puzzle was the tiniest bit more involved than merely walking through it.

Even when a patch of surfaces were portal-friendly, they typically were bunched in the same location and didn't affect the outcome of the puzzle at all. Portal 2 has less of that redundancy in places, certainly, but you still have to work toward getting to the destination, even though it's obvious in short order. I knew what panels to use, but it was still satisfying figuring out everything in between. The same went for Portal 1.

Anyway, the only P1 chambers for which the comic speaks truly of were the simplistic training puzzles in the very early stages of the game (ie get cube past emancipation grid), which could be safely left almost completely manipulable because the maps were linear, flat, and gated, and thus virtually impervious to most standard shortcuts. When the puzzles became more vertical and introduced more elements, the inert panels began to appear everywhere and one's choice of portal panels became very narrowly restricted.

This change that some people continually point to isn't much of one at all, it's nothing more than a tweak of something that remains the same across both games.

Haha, was talking to my parents tonight and was like, "Wow! Osama is dead!" and my Mom was like, "Yeah, where were you!?"

Beating Portal 2!

Fantastic, worthy sequel to one of my most favorite games ever.

Honestly though, whenever I was stumped it turned into "find a white spot." I'm not sure the original had this as much as the sequel.

Oh well, not ready to rank it - need to play through the game a few more times :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Argh, I want to play multiplayer online already. :(

PS3 version that is.

legbone

Killthee said:
$40 at GS this week, $35 at K-mart this week, and $35 at Amazon for one more hour.

glad i saw this post. was going to pick this up at gamestop this week for $40 but jumped on this. as a plus, the shipping time will give me time to finish the first one (if i can just put down mortal kombat).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just have to finish smashing 11 Wheatley screens and I'll have all of the single player Trophies. Such an awesome game.

Botolf said:
Not at all. If he was working from his fuzzy recollection of the first game, then I can understand why he made the comic as he did, but it isn't the slightest bit accurate. Portal 1's chambers were wallpapered in inert metals whenever the puzzle was the tiniest bit more involved than merely walking through it.

Anyway, the only P1 chambers for which the comic speaks truly of were the simplistic training puzzles in the very early stages of the game (ie get cube past emancipation grid), which could be safely left almost completely manipulable because the maps were linear, flat, and gated, and thus virtually impervious to most standard shortcuts. When the puzzles became more vertical and introduced more elements, the inert panels began to appear everywhere and one's choice of portal panels became very narrowly restricted.
Yeah, no. See how almost all of the main room of chamber 13 is portalable? Look at all the white in chamber 15, probably 3/4 the walls are portalable (the first segment is admittedly more like 1/2). Check out the blinding glare of chamber 16. Look at all the portalable goodness in the last room of chamber 17.

I don't think there's any way to look at those chambers and think the intent wasn't to make every wall portalable unless there was a specific reason to make it inert for the purposes of the puzzle. The design behind Portal 2 was clearly the opposite. The proportion of non-portalable walls to portable walls was clearly much higher, as were the conspicuously placed single panels for the purpose of channeling a light bridge or asbestos tunnel. The only room in 2 I remember being almost totally open to portals was the "looking pretty good" room (direct 3 lasers into 3 sensors at once) which was also a notably small room and took me about 10 seconds to solve regardless.

By contrast, check out Portal 2 test 16--it's designed such that there's really one place to put the laser's exit portal even though the line of turrets should make it obvious that's where it would go anyway, so why not let me try out different spots? Test 17 is worse. And don't get me started on the
Wheatley
rooms like this one or this one or this one or these three (notice the lone white squares conveniently used to funnel blue gel?) or this one (there are only 4 white panels in the whole goddamn room and each one is used to funnel asbestos) which all have a far higher ratio of dark walls to light.

It's not just that the only panels left portalable are panels conveniently needed for the puzzle, it's that by surrounding them with dark panels, they become conspicuously obvious without even needing to break down what the puzzle requires or where you're supposed to direct things. You immediately think "OK, I need to make something come out of that wall" rather than "I have a light bridge. Where do I need to make it come out?" That's just not as open-ended a question and isn't nearly as conducive to alternate solutions since there are only 2 or 3 possible tools to use at best in a given room.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheMissingLink said:
Haha, was talking to my parents tonight and was like, "Wow! Osama is dead!" and my Mom was like, "Yeah, where were you!?"

Beating Portal 2!

Interesting memory you'll have in 10 years. That was a good day.

KarmaCow said:
Pretty sure that's how GlaDOS really killed all the scientists.

Close. The difference was there was a button in the middle of the room they could press to release deadly neurotoxin. It took about 25 seconds.

Sibylus

Banned
This is probably the last post where I'll get into this in length, it's keeping me up late :(

faceless007 said:
Yeah, no.
I replayed the game a few days before Portal 2 dropped, no need to post a sparse selection of videos to jog my memory. The way you pick and choose chambers and compare tonally dissonant sections to each other isn't really making much of a case for yourself.

Comparing the pristine chambers of Portal 1 to the
disused and deteriorating chambers of Act I is something of a miss. They're intended to be claustrophobic, incomplete, and littered with obstructions and debris. Not only that, they're set up for the purpose of training players on tools far more advanced than anything that appeared in Portal 1.

GLaDOS continually mentions that you're completing the chambers faster than she can construct and clean them up, and when she finally finishes one before you get there, it's a chamber that clearly harkens back to a more pristine testing environment (1). And given that the only testing element in the room are lasers, the room can't really be broken conventionally and the inert panels essentially serve as detailing only.

An excellent comparison would have been the Portal 1 escape chapters (of which you fail to make a single mention) to the
rundown and abandoned testing spheres in Portal 2. Both zones have a dearth of portal-friendly panels compared to other sections of their respective games, and they mirror each other the closest in aesthetics and intention. Fewer portal surfaces in cluttered and more organic/living spaces is a given, and more powerful puzzle tools being thrown in limits the amount of valid portal space as well.

In the more sterile testing chambers, the differences aren't anywhere near as stark as you suggest, with the difference being that Portal 2's variants tend to have
smaller clumps of portal-friendly panels and more detailing. There's less redundancy, and certainly less wondering which panels to use, but there's also far more powerful puzzle tools in play here. Whereas Portal 1 could reasonably expect to pen in 99% of all players by sticking a ledge or a catwalk beyond reach of basic momentum (such as in the big turret showdown, one couldn't get up in a single fling), Portal 2's tools can break a room in dozens of different novel ways. Players can walk up sheer walls with light bridges, make new portal surfaces with paint, give themselves momentum and height boosts with other paints, and on and on.

Portal 2 had several magnitudes more effort thrown into the art design, especially in terms of atmosphere and variation. Portal 1 was a series of austere and simplistic boxes, which then gave way to clutter and some minor decay. Valve consciously wanted to avoid retreading in Portal 1's steps, and that informed their decisions from story to the chamber design. Not just aping the first game's style and pushing the gameplay into vastly different spaces, that's what they poured a lot of energy into.

Portal 2 has far more organic and cluttered spaces than Portal 1 did. Most of the "looking for white panels" complaints refer specifically to the
testing spheres
, and they form an entire meaty act within the game's structure (whereas Portal 1's escape sections were over in no more than an hour for most). Spotting friendly panels was definitely a central part of Portal 1, it just happened to be brief (like everything else in the game).

Anyway, miscellaneous shtuff:

- P1-13: Cubes and buttons. Note how the inert panelling gobbles up an entire wall to prevent the player from shortcutting to the 2nd cube improperly. The door is linked to the buttons, so there's no need to wallpaper it and the floor to forbade flinging (and for reasons of monotony, tying all your doors to buttons is not a good solution for freeing up more portal space).

- P1-15: Flings. Again, open floorspace follows from the tools at the player's disposal and the intended way to complete the puzzle. The walls are almost entirely useless (save for the second fling, as that's the base) to prevent skipping.

- P2-16: Act I, early, the game is still essentially tutoring the player on lasers. Ensuring the same outcome will ensure that most players see exactly what sorts of things the lasers are useful for.

- P2-17: Act I, tutoring, yadda yadda. Not only that, lots of portal-friendly panels probably would have allowed people to skip the entire puzzle by bridge-climbing up a wall.

- Wheatley chambers: Light bridges, funnels, and ample space in some places to fling. Know why there's inert panels everywhere? Because these rooms combined with these tools are a recipe for breaking it all to hell and leaving everyone involved unsatisfied. In all likelihood, that's exactly what happened in testing. If there's a usable light bridge or especially a funnel anywhere in a chamber, it has to go hand in hand with hard obstacles of some sort (glass, emancipation grids, inert panels).

What I'm getting at is that Portal 1 wasn't scarce with its inert panels, it threw them in at the slightest hint of a player skipping ahead in a puzzle. It's tools were far more basic, and the game could thus afford to have uninterrupted patches of usable panels without the player breaking chambers. Portal 2 must, by necessity of chamber integrity, break up panel blocks because its tools get the player around in far more ways. But as I said before, in most cases this is merely less redundancy of usable surfaces. One sees the path forward sooner, but it has no detriment to the puzzle itself. Nor is knowing what your tools are, because the golden moment remains putting all the pieces together in your mind (the "aha!" moment). I still spent plenty of time contemplating the elements of the puzzle, which way I should try, and so on, the experience of discovery and experimentation was no worse for me than in Portal 1. It certainly had bigger blocks of usable panels, but everything you needed to know was still staring you in the face.

Wow, what a game. Both SP and coop were equally enjoyable to me, well the edge goes SP for the story but the coop was done exceptionally well. Just wrapped up the last achievement I needed for not dying during an entire course in coop with a friend of mine. We somehow managed with quite a number of close calls and slight lag to deal with, but what a gratifying experience.

Really excited for the DLC to come out this summer, definitely holding on to it although it feels like the resale value for this game is going to plummet with all these sales going on.

webrunner

EmCeeGramr said:
I wasn't even laughing at the
"with the lemons"
part, it was the delivery on the
"I'M THE MAN WHO'S GOING TO BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN."
that cracked me up.

I liked
"Get mad! Ask to see life's manager!"

I'm stuck!

I think near'ish the end,
the place is about to explode, the "test" has one small wall seperating me from three turrets on a small platform that you cant get to because of how far you get knocked back from the bullets (a lot more then other places :p) I have access to the swirling vortex that carries you around and blue gloob, :(
halp me :(

Pennybags

Orangepeel said:
I'm stuck!

I think near'ish the end,
the place is about to explode, the "test" has one small wall seperating me from three turrets on a small platform that you cant get to because of how far you get knocked back from the bullets (a lot more then other places :p) I have access to the swirling vortex that carries you around and blue gloob, :(
halp me :(

Blue goop goes on turrets.

sn00zer

Only thing im not liking is how easy the game is...dunno Ive been able to blow through most of the puzzles in less than a few minutes....im about halfway through
The underground "old" area
and havent really run into any REALLY tough challenges

also this game has THE BEST story sequences in a game...ever...hands down....no competition
the intro is jawdropping...but Wheatley's takeover is just amazing

Majukun

does the co-op campaign spoil anything about the single player campaign's story?
except maybe the creation of the 2 robots?

Pennybags said:
Blue goop goes on turrets.
arghh, I knew this had to be it but I couldn't grasp my head around how to activate
the reverse switch,
which just occurred to me how to do, this one was super incredibly easy! I guess too much leads to dumb ness lol, thanks!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Majukun said:
does the co-op campaign spoil anything about the single player campaign's story?
The ending kinda does. I also feel like it spoils the gameplay of the singleplayer as you will take the concepts further than you ever do in singleplayer.

Pennybags

Majukun said:

No major events as it takes place after the SP, but the ending is a doozy and definitely "changes the game" in terms of plot.

Edit: I've yet to actually play through it yet, but what Stallion Free is saying about the level of complexity of the game mechanics in co-op is probably more important. You definitely wouldn't want your single player experience to be that much of a breeze.

Orangepeel said:
arghh, I knew this had to be it but I couldn't grasp my head around how to activate the reverse switch, which just occurred to me how to do, this one was super incredibly easy! I guess too much leads to dumb ness lol, thanks!

No prob. Didn't want to say too much. ;)

sikkinixx

I really hope Valve releases some challenge chambers or something, the game was pretty easy, only a few really stumped me and thats just because I didn't know I had to hit a switch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
sikkinixx said:
I really hope Valve releases some challenge chambers or something, the game was pretty easy, only a few really stumped me and thats just because I didn't know I had to hit a switch.
They've officially said that they are.

heyf00L

Darn, I think it just sold out on Gamestop.com while I was going through checkout process. I wanted to buy there because I have a $20 off coupon making it $10. I doubt I can convince the wife to let me buy it for $30 off Amazon. :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just started chapter 5 last night, but more importantly got my first crack at co-op split screen. It was pretty damned awesome. I played with someone who had never played either Portal, he took to it pretty quickly which I guess is a compliment to the design. It was a blast and a lot of laughs, but what really killed it was that the load times were a little crazy. I felt like we were constantly loading, especially since the first few chambers are so small and fast.

I'm going to sink a lot more time into it tonight and tomorrow since I'm less busy. I am loving the game but I have to agree with what some of you guys are saying, there are very few portalable panels, and it makes a player take a different approach to solving the puzzles. I had played Portal 1 last weekend so it is fresh in my mind.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just done the first two sections of co-op and loving it so far. Performance is pretty shit split screen on PS3, but other than that, so good.
Too bad Valve didn't seem to think it was necessary to fully support split-screen on PC again. I mean for fucks sake Valve.

webrunner

Majukun said:

In a way, co-op spoils part of the single player ending.

You wouldn't KNOW it was a spoiler until you get to a certain part of the single player, though...

webrunner said:
In a way, co-op spoils part of the single player ending.

You wouldn't KNOW it was a spoiler until you get to a certain part of the single player, though...

Out of curiosity, which part of Co-op do you mean?

Botolf said:
I replayed the game a few days before Portal 2 dropped, no need to post a sparse selection of videos to jog my memory. The way you pick and choose chambers and compare tonally dissonant sections to each other isn't really making much of a case for yourself.
At least I provided evidence. You just tried to make do with vague all-encompassing statements and tangents that don't have much to do what I wrote, and ignored the evidence against your statement that "When the puzzles became more vertical and introduced more elements, the inert panels began to appear everywhere and one's choice of portal panels became very narrowly restricted." With the exception of 18, I don't think there's any way one could play the last 6 chambers of Portal 1 and think they were "narrowly restricted."

Comparing the pristine chambers of Portal 1 to the
disused and deteriorating chambers of Act I is something of a miss.
I did no such thing
unless you're referring to tests 16 and 17, in which case I think that's just a crutch because the facility is already in fair working order by then. The facility is in disrepair, that doesn't inherently mean there should be more inert walls than portalable ones, because both are deliberately designed and clearly intentional in the places I noted.

An excellent comparison would have been the Portal 1 escape chapters (of which you fail to make a single mention)
Yeah you know why? Because it makes perfect sense there wouldn't be many portalable surfaces behind the scenes at Aperture. In fact it's rather convenient there are as many as there are. The emphasis of that chapter isn't on puzzle-solving anymore, it's on getting the fuck out (similarly, I'm not complaining about the dearth of portalable chambers during
Portal 2's escape chapter or during the Wheatley boss fight
. I was specifically talking about how the game hand-holds you thought the test chambers. Bringing 1's escape chapter up as some sort of example as what any other section of the game should be like when it clearly serves an entirely different story, pacing, and objective function is disingenuous.

rundown and abandoned testing spheres in Portal 2. Both zones have a dearth of portal-friendly panels compared to other sections of their respective games, and they mirror each other the closest in aesthetics and intention. Fewer portal surfaces in cluttered and more organic/living spaces is a given, and more powerful puzzle tools being thrown in limits the amount of valid portal space as well.
Well it's interesting you bring those up because they actually provide an interesting counter-example to your own argument. While the number of portal surfaces
in the spheres is undoubtedly fewer, the walls on which you can splash gels are far less restricted and it's easily possible to paint entire walls and even entire rooms with blue or orange regardless of whether it helps solve the puzzle or not I know, I had a lot of fun just seeing how much of the rooms I could cover. Now did they help me solve the puzzles faster or differently? Probably not. But it still allowed me a freedom of movement and action largely analogous with the way portals themselves worked in 1 and constrained in 2; I at least got the feeling that the gels were mine to place, not the designer's. And clearly my ability to do so didn't break any of the chambers.

Portal 2's tools can break a room in dozens of different novel ways. Players can walk up sheer walls with light bridges, make new portal surfaces with paint, give themselves momentum and height boosts with other paints, and on and on.
The player's ability to do all these things is very clearly constrained by the fact that
the gels are only available in a select few tests (not nearly enough IMO), and you'll notice all the examples I brought up from 2 don't use them at all so again you're being disingenuous. The white paint is only used something like 4 times. In the chamber that introduces it, you can in fact paint pretty much the entire chamber white and futz around with different flings and placement even though there's still only one real solution; in fact, that room was so conspicuously freer than the way portals work in the rest of the game it was jarring to me.

- P1-13: Cubes and buttons. Note how the inert panelling gobbles up an entire wall to prevent the player from shortcutting to the 2nd cube improperly. The door is linked to the buttons, so there's no need to wallpaper it and the floor to forbade flinging (and for reasons of monotony, tying all your doors to buttons is not a good solution for freeing up more portal space).
Yes, that's precisely my point. The only inert wall is the one that would ruin the puzzle, the entire rest of the room is fair game. It doesn't matter that the rest of the room is useless for the puzzle, the player still has to look around and figure that out.

- P1-15: Flings. Again, open floorspace follows from the tools at the player's disposal and the intended way to complete the puzzle. The walls are almost entirely useless (save for the second fling, as that's the base) to prevent skipping.
Again, that's my point. Yes, the walls are useless, but the fact that they're portalable means the player has to figure that out themself.

- P2-16: Act I, early, the game is still essentially tutoring the player on lasers. Ensuring the same outcome will ensure that most players see exactly what sorts of things the lasers are useful for.
If the game is still tutoring on the basic mechanics of the game by test 16 Valve fails even harder. The only way through the test is to destroy the turrets, so it shouldn't matter with which portal I do it, their existence ensures I'm going to learn how to destroy them anyway.

- P2-17: Act I, tutoring, yadda yadda. Not only that, lots of portal-friendly panels probably would have allowed people to skip the entire puzzle by bridge-climbing up a wall.
The only placements that would allow that are the one directly across from the exit elevator (because it's at the end of a narrow corridor) and the walls right near the elevator. That doesn't explain why all the other walls in the open section are made inert. I mean, look at at 0:04. It's so goddamn obvious that a portal goes in the lone rectangle of white. The puzzle wouldn't be ruined if more of the wall were portalable; the player would have to look at the laser sensor and gauge its height but that's more involved than the lone panel telling you what to do.

In any case, this discussion is largely moot because:
But as I said before, in most cases this is merely less redundancy of usable surfaces. One sees the path forward sooner,
You tried to hide it but here you basically concede that my entire point is valid, you just try to argue that you don't care. "Less redundancy of usable surfaces" is the entire point; the redundancy in the first game is what asks more of the player and requires thinking through the objective instead of pointing portals at things and seeing what comes out. If (as in Portal 1 Chamber 15) 3 big walls in a room are portalable but only 1 is needed to solve the puzzle, that doesn't change the fact that the player has to look around and evaluate all 3 walls to decide which one to use and how high to place the portal. Portal 2 would make a big sign pointing to the back wall by making the other 2 inert (if not making all but one panel of the wall inert).

Repeating myself: It's not just that the only panels left portalable are panels conveniently needed for the puzzle, it's that by surrounding them with dark panels, they become conspicuously obvious without even needing to break down what the puzzle requires or where you're supposed to direct things. You immediately think "OK, I need to make something come out of that wall" rather than "I have a light bridge. Where do I need to make it come out?" That's just not as open-ended a question and isn't nearly as conducive to alternate solutions since there are only 2 or 3 possible tools to use at best in a given room.

webrunner

Mister_Bubbles said:
Out of curiosity, which part of Co-op do you mean?

That GLaDOS is in charge of the facility. As you play single player you know Co-op can't occur at the same time or before, as GLaDOS didn't know about the old test facility until she was actually there, by the time she DOES get there, she's no longer in control of the facility. The fact that GLaDOS is going to be in charge of the facility at some point after the end of the game, fully functional, and with no human testers, is a spoiler.

Grisby said:
So the game is definitely $40 bucks this week at GS right? Rented it for the PS3 but I think I'll buy it for the 360.

Just traded in my 360 version for the PS3 one for an extra 10 dollars as it's the superior version (visually) console wise. One of the few mult-plats that I've picked up for PS3.

Stallion Free said:
Too bad Valve didn't seem to think it was necessary to fully support split-screen on PC again. I mean for fucks sake Valve.
At least you can play it on PC, I'm still waiting for Sony to sort their shit out! :( But yeah, it should be supported. Can it not be forced ala Left 4 Dead?

I just finished chamber 3 of co-op and holy shit this is getting hard. The last bit where you needed to
stop each other in mid air to reach the exit
was so satisfying to do.

Co-op obviously lacks the narrative hook, but it's still really funny and the puzzles are definitely testing the skills you acquired in the single player. Wonderful.

gl0w

derFeef said:
Uhm, anyone still want Portal 1 (Steam)?

gone.

edit2: Nope, sitll available!

Still available? i will appreciate it! i'm waiting for Portal 2 PS3 version, i would like to start playing Portal first! :)

Top Bottom