• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Co-op just keeps getting better and better.

Between this and L4D/2, Valve are pretty much the kings of co-op gaming now, as well as the single player experience. It's insane. I will never doubt for a second their ability to intergrate a co-op/multiplayer experience in to any future games, including the Half-Life series.

TheMissingLink said:
Honestly though, whenever I was stumped it turned into "find a white spot." I'm not sure the original had this as much as the sequel.

Yep, as I mentioned in the spoiler thread, I only had to consult the net once--not for a solution to a puzzle, but because there's a hidden white spot way high up near the ceiling in a dark room that I didn't catch.

Edit: Tempted to buy it for the 360 in addition to my PC purchase. (For both achievements/avatar awards & multiplayer)

Sibylus

Banned
A word on evidence: I was speaking after having gone through the two games back to back, going to the length of posting videos of every single location in the game I refer to would have easily doubled or tripled the time I spent writing up the silly thing. I'm not being deceptive, I'm merely trying to be concise with the hope that I'm not losing too much specificity (evidently I have).

And when I say narrowly restricted, bear in mind that I'm comparing such chambers to earlier chambers where the puzzle tools are very simple (such as boxes and buttons). When things such as flings are introduced (which require a lot of verticality in the chamber design), entire walls and platforms typically become inert to head off skipping the puzzle, and your destination is never in doubt. The more powerful the tool, the more narrow portal choice becomes, and that's true in both Portal 1 and 2 (2 just happens to have far more effective ways of breaking chambers). I never held much illusion of choice in Portal 1 chambers such as these, the portal panel-inert panel dynamic boxed my thinking in just as it did in Portal 2. Did I notice the optimal panel earlier in Portal 2? Sure, there's no contention there, but what I contend is that it's a tweak at best because the underlying design choice remains as it always has.

When you remove 7 coplanar portal panels from an 8 panel grouping, all you've essentially done is remove redundancy and the puzzle plays out the same as it would have before. There never was meaningful choice in such a circumstance to begin with, the only thing that changes is that the player notices his target a little earlier.

You contend that this is a flaw and a big change, I don't, but that disagreement may as well be intractable because I've somehow managed to convince you that I'm an intellectually dishonest bastard. If I failed to dot my mental I's and cross my mental T's, that's my fuck-up, but my methods have not been malicious in intention. I'd love to see the discussion restarted from square one and the conversation achieve some sense of normalcy, but only so long as that wish is reciprocated. I'm not going to review what I wrote line-by-line, but I'll accept your contention that I goofed in a number of ways. Starting over from the basics should help alleviate more misunderstanding.

_Isaac

AbsoluteZero said:
Yep, as I mentioned in the spoiler thread, I only had to consult the net once--not for a solution to a puzzle, but because there's a hidden white spot way high up near the ceiling in a dark room that I didn't catch.

Edit: Tempted to buy it for the 360 in addition to my PC purchase. (For both achievements/avatar awards & multiplayer)

This is so true. These are pretty much the only times I got stuck. I still didn't resort to the internet though.

/me is proud.

MrPliskin

Banned
Grisby said:
So the game is definitely $40 bucks this week at GS right? Rented it for the PS3 but I think I'll buy it for the 360.

I say get it on PS3, it'll probably get better support than the 360 version.

big ander

OldJadedGamer said:
It says chapter but do I get to select my level? I don't want to kill my current save file.
Your save file should remain stored but you only get to select chapter. Not a huge deal; if you've beaten the game once each chapter takes around 25 minutes total.

woolley

OldJadedGamer said:
It says chapter but do I get to select my level? I don't want to kill my current save file.
You have multiple save files so you can load your current one any time you want. Creating a new file won't change that.

big ander said:
If I'm remembering some of your posts in other threads correctly, this is a ringing endorsement for the humor in the game ^_^

Well, I didn't say a couple of negative things about Community. (But now I like Community.)

woolley said:
You have multiple save files so you can load your current one any time you want. Creating a new file won't change that.

Looks like I'm only seeing the option to start at the beginning of the chapter and not any level I want.

Cipherr

_Isaac said:
This is so true. These are pretty much the only times I got stuck. I still didn't resort to the internet though.

/me is proud.

Those got me the most too, but I loved it. Forced me to, as I mentioned earlier, stand back and observe every texture in the zone to figure it out. Make sure I didnt miss ANYthing.

But even then they gave to many hints, all the hidden portalable areas were illuminated by light somehow, or they would pop up the "click your middle mouse button to zoom" before I even had a fucking chance to figure it out myself. It saddened me greatly.

woolley

OldJadedGamer said:
Looks like I'm only seeing the option to start at the beginning of the chapter and not any level I want.
Well if you want to do a certain chamber multiple times just make your own save before that chamber starts and you'll be able to load that save as many times as you want.

Adam J.

Just beat it. Wow, I'm really speechless--this is the best game I've played in a long time.

I played the SP with a friend (we passed the controller ever other test) and between the two of us, we conquered it without looking anything up online. Really felt like the perfect difficulty level for us casual players.

Absolutely stunning game, and for the record, I thought the humor was brilliant.

Future

Just finished. Liked it a lot. Definitely a few "where can I put a damn portal nothing is white" puzzles but beyond that it was a smooth ride. Even with fewer options of where to put portals, I still had fun figuring out how it all went together. Even if the first part was obvious, I'd always get stumped at least for a a min or two.

I wasn't in love with the dialogue though. People talkin about it likes it's the greatest thing, but a lot of the glados lines seemed a bit forced, and the other bot's shtick got old after awhile. Still liked the story bits, but it was all about the puzzles for me

OldJadedGamer said:
Seems like an odd oversight.

Considering the game was originally supposed to come out in February, it's likely Valve was short on time. Either way, challenge mode (level select) is coming in the free DLC.

Mik2121

I just got the game for the PS3 so I could get it on PC too, but alas, PSN is down so I'll have to wait, right? Or I can enable this thing via PC too? (from what I read, I need to activate my account on PS3 first, right?)

Now 3 of us practically have the same avatar. Guess I'll be the bigger man and change after my exam today.
Mik2121 said:
I just got the game for the PS3 so I could get it on PC too, but alas, PSN is down so I'll have to wait, right? Or I can enable this thing via PC too? (from what I read, I need to activate my account on PS3 first, right?)
PSN will need to be back up first yes and your accounts linked in the Steam overlay, before you can redeem your pc version voucher.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stallion Free said:
Too bad Valve didn't seem to think it was necessary to fully support split-screen on PC again. I mean for fucks sake Valve.

really? completed single player and was thinking of doing coop split screen with my son. so you can't do that? I have a couple of 360 pads plus obviously a mouse/keyboard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
mrklaw said:
really? completed single player and was thinking of doing coop split screen with my son. so you can't do that? I have a couple of 360 pads plus obviously a mouse/keyboard.

Split-screen on the PC is not officially supported, but you can enable it. For whatever reason, it's not the exact same split-screen mode that is present in the console builds of the game, but it's a stone's throw from being perfectly playable.

They'll officially support split-screen on the PC at some point, surely.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JaseC said:
Split-screen on the PC is not officially supported, but you can enable it. For whatever reason, it's not the exact same split-screen mode that is present in the console builds of the game, but it's a stone's throw from being perfectly playable.

They'll officially support split-screen on the PC at some point, surely.

thanks. reflects my love/hate relationship with PCs nicely. why make things difficult?

edit: no wireless 360 support?

Can you run portal 2 on two machines on a LAN if I've only bought it once? eg maybe set my main machine to offline mode and then connect up? I have a laptop that'd probably run it quite well

JaseC

mrklaw said:
thanks. reflects my love/hate relationship with PCs nicely. why make things difficult?

Overcoming just that is half the fun of PC gaming! :p

Edit: I'm guessing Valve will release a Source Engine-wide update to enable official split-screen support when Big Picture Mode hits.

JaseC

mrklaw said:
Can you run portal 2 on two machines on a LAN if I've only bought it once? eg maybe set my main machine to offline mode and then connect up? I have a laptop that'd probably run it quite well

Nope. Each Steam account has its own unique Steam ID. It's impossible for two separate machines to use the one Steam account/ID.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Played a ways into chapter 6 last night, wow what a difference in tone. Feels a little Bioshock-ish to be honest. I need to start playing more than like 45 minutes at a time. lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
JaseC said:
Nope. Each Steam account has its own unique Steam ID. It's impossible for two separate machines to use the one Steam account/ID.

Can I have it installed on two devices, but only active on one? I'm thinking eg when I'm at work, he might want to play some of the other games I have on his laptop (eg reccetear) - can he use my account for that?

Lakitu

st5fu
Finally got some money together and ordered it today, it should be here within a couple of days.

I've completed the original Portal four times in a week. Needless to say, I'm excited.

JaseC

mrklaw said:
Can I have it installed on two devices, but only active on one? I'm thinking eg when I'm at work, he might want to play some of the other games I have on his laptop (eg reccetear) - can he use my account for that?

Sure. The account just can't be active on more than one machine simultaneously, that's all. Even if you leave Steam logged in on your PC, when he logs into the account on the laptop Steam on your system will just log itself out, anyway.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Botolf said:
When the puzzles became more vertical and introduced more elements, the inert panels began to appear everywhere and one's choice of portal panels became very narrowly restricted.
It's not just the active/inert panels. The
gel emmiters work blatantly better when splatting across puzzle important panels (paving of the "runways" for speed gel is particularly glaring in that regard)
In entire game there's not a single instance of a
Gel, Mine, Bridge, Laser Emitter, Jump-Spring or a Button
that isn't directly linked to progression - which is expected in "test" rooms but when every "free/organic" area follows the same rule, things start getting a bit silly.
And then there's also the aim and jump assist around important areas...

Qwomo

Trent Strong said:
Fantastic game, but not funny.
ahhhhahahabellylaughhhs7a0.gif

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the end of chapter
6 and the entirety of chapters 7 and 8
were phenomenal. a lot more of the traversal type stuff i was requesting did eventually come around and i thought it was absolutely a breath of fresh air. the
gels
i think were a mixed bag; they were fun sometimes and interesting in a quaint way, but did not feel like they 100% fit into the universe and i actually think may have detracted focus from the creativity of interesting portal and gravity use, a mechanic that i think has even farther reaching possibilities than i can begin to imagine.

listen though. this is an amazing game. it's the first game since SMG2 that i actually finished in just a few days. it is quality top to bottom, paced impeccably, has great humor, everything! i will admit i had considered the possibility that the scope of the game may be a bit larger, but i'm fine and perfectly pleased with what it is. for now, PORTAL remains about these contained environments where it makes sense to have only some surfaces able to accept portals for puzzle solving and navigation, while HALF-LIFE is about more expansive environments where the restrictions of PORTAL are unnecessary by design.

bravo valve!

REV 09

SP portion is too damn short, even with the cheevos. Their should be some really tough achievements like speed running each section or possibly the entire game. 100% on the sp is maybe 8 hours.

Top Bottom