• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

NeoteriX

Neo Member
The Lamonster said:
I'm kind of bumming about Portal 2 right now. I finished the game, then I finished co-op. I want to keep going but there is like, zero replay value at the moment, and I'm not interested in commentary. I'm interested in gameplay.

There is a growing number of user created maps at http://www.portal2maps.net/ that might help cure the itch while we all wait for official DLC. I will say though that my friend and I tried some of the coop maps that exist, and they are for the most part rubbish. Perhaps the single player maps are better though -- they certainly seem like they'd be easier to make.

fernoca

Well, just finished this..and what a fucking ride!! XD

Congratulations to Valve for such amazing game and to those awesome cast of actors for bringing those amazing characters to life. :)

Jasoco

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I'm kind of bumming about Portal 2 right now. I finished the game, then I finished co-op. I want to keep going but there is like, zero replay value at the moment, and I'm not interested in commentary. I'm interested in gameplay.
Seriously? I've played through it four times now. Once with the commentary just because it's good. My last playthrough was a speed run that I did in 4:40. And I'll do it again to try and make it faster!

Medalion

Banned
Had a chance to play Co-Op for the first time tonight, played with a random paired up gamer... their nick was Locke. We beat the game together, was pretty neat. The ending was :O

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man, some of the puzzles
in chapter 4
had me stumped for minutes! It felt so good figuring them out! I don't even want to imagine how insane the later puzzles will be. :D

am i the only one disappointed with the 'where's wally' passages between the tests where you've gotta find some tiny portal-able wall in the distance to progress?
so stupid...
i love the test chambers and the atmosphere to death, but those passages make me rage so hard

charlemagne said:
No. A lot of people were annoyed with those sections.
good, because with all the praise and 9.5 scores i was thinking everyone had gone insane
so far (chapter 6), game is a solid 8
high highs but very low lows

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
scar tissue said:
good, because with all the praise and 9.5 scores i was thinking everyone had gone insane
so far (chapter 6), game is a solid 8
high highs but very low lows

"People are enjoying a game more than me!? Clearly they're all insane!"

Medalion

Banned
Nobody said this game was flawless that imo have little to do with the out of sight wall to shoot a portal at to solve puzzles.

fernoca said:
Well, just finished this..and what a fucking ride!! XD

Congratulations to Valve for such amazing game and to those awesome cast of actors for bringing those amazing characters to life. :)

This.

I have no complaints about it whatsoever. Average scores of 95% are right to me.

the game was awesome but there were plenty of moments where you would start looking around everywhere trying to find a patch of white that you could shoot a portal and you had to use the zoom function to find one.

I rank the game highly, but Portal 1 was more "perfect" as an experience that did not have any moments of fighting your environment searching for patches to shoot with a zoom function

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Corky said:
No but calling it flawless however, is.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a review or perhaps even a comment here in this very thread that labels the game "flawless". Even the Eurogamer review mentioned that the game isn't perfect.

Jintor said:
I still kind of don't understand why they took out the 'cursor tells you if you can portal to a surface' thing

I wondered this, perhaps it didn't work with the white paint? Totally agree with the 'Where's Wally' complaints.

Decent game, but lacks the surprise value of the original. In some ways it's a bit like Terminator 2 versus Terminator 1 - bigger and bolder, but perhaps losing a little in the process.

Lunchbox

Banned
just finished it, hated the middle parts where i had to wonder for ages to find where to shoot the next portal. no idea what they were thinking making those segments

enjoyed the first half and the last half though

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm in space. Space. Space. So much space. You know what i like about space? Space.
SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

I could listen to his dialogue on Youtube everyday lol.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Can't say that I even spent dozens of seconds let alone a few minutes looking for portalable surfaces. The only area that (stupidly) had me stumped for a little was when (Chapter 7 spoiler)
you get dropped into the cage that had the chute spewing the white gel... didn't remember you can pop a portal on that stuff, but then proceeded to paint the whole place white. :p

Looking back, the only levels that really annoyed me were the stupid push/pull beam levels. Hated that damned thing.

webrunner

Jintor said:
I still kind of don't understand why they took out the 'cursor tells you if you can portal to a surface' thing

It wouldn't be bad except in the dimmer areas where the difference between a lit dark area and an unlit white area is very minimal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lunchbox said:
just finished it, hated the middle parts where i had to wonder for ages to find where to shoot the next portal. no idea what they were thinking making those segments
People like me. I loved that area.

Just finished my first playthrough and WOW!

What an absolutely fantastic game! I knew it would be great, but I never expected it to be sublime. Valve hit it out of the park
waaaaay out
with this.

Is it safe to read the spoiler thread now or are there going to be spoilers for coop as well?

Kimosabae

Banned
Count me in as another hater of those areas. Incredibly mind-numbing. Not stimulating in the slightest. It's not their presence as much as their frequency that irritates me.

Holy crap guys, nice targeted marketing on McDonald's part.

UUN6O.jpg

Treefingers said:
Agreed, those are probably my favorite segments, just for the atmosphere alone.

The atmosphere was great. Spending fifteen minutes trying to figure out the one place you can put a portal to advance to the next test chamber, not so great.

ElRenoRaven

Treefingers said:

Same here. They were damn challenging and at the same time gave great insight into Aperture and how it came to be what it is now.

Edvardelis said:
The atmosphere was great. Spending fifteen minutes trying to figure out the one place you can put a portal to advance to the next test chamber, not so great.

Oh come on. They were easy to spot and stood out. The only times they didn't were when you had to use the gels and that was part of the challenge.

Kimosabae

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Oh come on. They were easy to spot and stood out. The only times they didn't were when you had to use the gels and that was part of the challenge.

So, what, are you a genius, or is everyone claiming to have trouble with them just stupid?

Seriously, I hate these comments.

They were easy to spot if you knew where to look. If you liked those segments; cool, but to imply people didn't like them because they are somehow slow is condescending.

The atmosphere of the entire game is great, but IMO, these particular areas send the gameplay into a minor tailspin. Not anything I can't overlook, they just halted the pace between the game's more stimulating elements and were irritating to boot.

Cipherr

Kimosabae said:
So, what, are you a genius, or is everyone claiming to have trouble with them just stupid?

They were easy to spot if you knew where to look. If you liked those segments; cool, but to imply people didn't like them because they are somehow slow is condescending.

The atmosphere of the entire game is great, but IMO, these particular areas send the gameplay into a minor tailspin. Not anything I can't overlook, they just halted the pace between the game's more stimulating elements and were irritating to boot.

What the hell, he never alluded to that... He said they stood out, to him, maybe they did. I mean....seeing as all of them, every single one was illuminated by a light source of some sort, I cant disagree. I had a tough time with them, but also enjoyed those sections the most. They were the few sections that I didn't figure out lickity split.

Why are some of you complaining about the in-between test chamber puzzles? They are puzzles just like the test chambers. The entire game is one big puzzle, I'm just confused how having to solve a puzzle outside of a chamber is any different than solving one in.

Regardless, the entire game was very easy, including the in-between parts. They went way overboard with making sure people couldn't break the game, so it's really easy to figure out that you need to put a portal on the one spot that they allow it.

NeoteriX said:
There is a growing number of user created maps at http://www.portal2maps.net/ that might help cure the itch while we all wait for official DLC. I will say though that my friend and I tried some of the coop maps that exist, and they are for the most part rubbish. Perhaps the single player maps are better though -- they certainly seem like they'd be easier to make.
Thanks man, I didn't know about this. Can anyone recommend any of the single player maps?

Kimosabae said:

They were easy to spot if you knew where to look.
If you liked those segments; cool, but to imply people didn't like them because they are somehow slow is condescending.

No...they were pretty easy to spot. On my first run, I never had a problem with finding portal-able surfaces.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SneakyStephan said:
The bots in the cutscenes before the game start look way too good to be ingame assets.

edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYsfhxnX-Zg

upon closer inspection maybe it just is the lighting , dof and motion blur
and the awesome animations
that makes it look like cgi.
Why can't we have this ingame on the pc valve, why.
People will cry when their game runs at 1FPS. It takes 30 minutes for my PC to render a 30 second TF2 replay on "Max" settings, and I am pretty sure Valve has even higher quality stuff not given to the public due to stability issues.

Sibylus

Banned
Treefingers said:
Yup, and I loved using
the gels, especially the conversion gel.

Dax01 said:
No...they were pretty easy to spot. On my first run, I never had a problem with finding portal-able surfaces.
Ditto. It wasn't jarring or abrupt or anything, I just flowed along with it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If you see a few white walls in a room full of brown and grey, it's portal-able!

I was surprised to hear so many people having trouble in the parts outside of "real" Aperture Sciences puzzles. They both work pretty much the same. Maybe adjust the brightness of your screen or something?

DatBreh

Banned
Is it me or are the physics in this game off? In the co-op mission with the big fan it took me forever to solve because the way you propel yourself to that area shouldnt work given the distance of the drop and the fan. I decided to try it on a whim and it worked.

Alright I 100% apologize to Wheatly for talking shit. All characters redeemed.

Amazing game.

Is it just me or are the half turret, half box creatures the most horrifying thing ever? I don't even want to pick them up.

StuBurns

Banned
Tylahedras said:
Is it just me or are the half turret, half box creatures the most horrifying thing ever? I don't even want to pick them up.
They're creepy yeah, in the commentary I'm sure they actually mention how cute the staff think they are.

heyf00L

I didn't see it. If anything indicated portalable from not, I didn't see it.

Also, if Valve would just figure out a way to give us Source movie maker graphics in real time, they wouldn't need a new engine.

Dug

Banned
Portal 2 SDK beta has been released:

Today we're opening up the beta of the Portal 2 Authoring Tools to everyone! It's available as a free download for all owners of the PC version of Portal 2 and can be found under the "Tools" tab in Steam.

The Portal 2 Authoring Tools include versions of the same tools we used to make Portal 2. They'll allow you to create your own singleplayer and co-op maps, new character skins, 3D models, sound effects, and music.

Here's what's included:
- Updated version of Hammer, the Source level editor
- Updated Faceposer
- Example maps and instances to help build new maps
- Updated suite of command-line compiling utilities

If you want to get started on the beta, we suggest joining two mailing lists:
Portal 2 List
General Source List

This is beta software, so if you have any problems or issues, please send them to the p2mapper email list.

Get out there and show us what devious puzzles you've all been brainstorming!

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php?id=5443&p=1

I never played the first Portal and splurged when Amazon dropped the price for the 360 version.

DAMN, I absolutely love this game. I'm getting as much pleasure out of this as I did Braid.

Four_Chamber said:
I never played the first Portal and splurged when Amazon dropped the price for the 360 version.

Believe me, you're not missing much . Just two hours of shitty, tiresome jokes delivered with no comedic timing in the most monotone voice you can imagine.

EDIT: Or wait, are you saying that you bought Portal 1 when the price was dropped, or that you bought Portal 2 when the Portal 2 price dropped? I CONFUSED.

Top Bottom