• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

heyf00L

Sadly too many people couldn't beat Portal 1. I could have done without the red Xs and pushed out panels in 1, although those mostly disappeared by the end.

Soda

Hey guys, I'm pretty lttp and just beat p2. It seems like this game has NO replay value (unless there is some unwritten set of achievements?). Is there any real replay value to this game?

Soda said:
Hey guys, I'm pretty lttp and just beat p2. It seems like this game has NO replay value (unless there is some unwritten set of achievements?). Is there any real replay value to this game?

Co-op? Achievements? New free DLC coming?

StuBurns

Banned
Soda said:
I've played it three times. There is a developers commentary you might enjoy.

heyf00L

Once you know the solution that of course hurts the replayability. But aren't they going to release challenge mode eventually? If you haven't played Portal 1 or never did the challenge mode, they didn't change the solution but they made you try to solve it by only shooting so many portals or taking only so many steps or under a certain amount of time. I found it very enjoyable to have to consider not just the solution but the optimal solution in each case.
Hopefully they also add Advanced mode which did actually alter the solutions.

StuBurns

Banned
I got confused about the DLC, I hope it's not just least portals/steps/time, that stuff is lame, the altered levels were awesome.

heyf00L

StuBurns said:
I got confused about the DLC, I hope it's not just least portals/steps/time, that stuff is lame, the altered levels were awesome.
I have nearly the opposite opinion. The advanced puzzled were nice but were also not replayable. The challenge mode had near infinite replayability as you could keep finding slightly better solutions. Loved it.

StuBurns

Banned
heyf00L said:
I have nearly the opposite opinion. The advanced puzzled were nice but were also not replayable. The challenge mode had near infinite replayability as you could keep finding slightly better solutions. Loved it.
I agree they don't improve replayability, I just don't really value replayability. I love watching that stuff on YouTube though, the speed runs are incredible.

I just mentioned it because I assumed the DLC would include the advanced levels, now you mention it I think it's less likely because they take much more work than the portals/steps/time things.

Jarmel

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
God, I hate questions like this. How on earth are we supposed to know whether or not you'll like the game? Either continue playing it or quit since you don't enjoy it. Whatever you do, don't ask useless questions to people who can't possibly answer you in any meaningful way.

Lol. It's quite simple. I was asking if the game takes a different tone, direction, or do anything different gameplay-wise in the latter half of the game compared to where I am now. Saying that yes the gameplay and levels are similar all the way through would answer my question.

Quite frankly I'm only in the first half of the game and I'm already getting sick of the test labs.

StuBurns

Banned
Jarmel said:
Lol. It's quite simple. I was asking if the game takes a different tone, direction, or do anything different gameplay-wise in the latter half of the game compared to where I am now. Saying that yes the gameplay and levels are similar all the way through would answer my question.

Quite frankly I'm only in the first half of the game and I'm already getting sick of the test labs.
There are periods where the game focuses more on traversal than puzzle solving, but you'll be playing test labs throughout basically.

Nizz

StuBurns said:
I've played it three times. There is a developers commentary you might enjoy.
Wow, I think I've played it through the same amount of times! I don't get bored with the game. Matter of fact, it's a lot of fun to go through the levels now that I know what to do. I feel like such a pro at the game now. :)

heyf00L said:
Once you know the solution that of course hurts the replayability. But aren't they going to release challenge mode eventually? If you haven't played Portal 1 or never did the challenge mode, they didn't change the solution but they made you try to solve it by only shooting so many portals or taking only so many steps or under a certain amount of time. I found it very enjoyable to have to consider not just the solution but the optimal solution in each case.
Hopefully they also add Advanced mode which did actually alter the solutions.
I disagree. I've beaten it four times, and while each time I've completed it faster than my previous run, it's still fun.

Anyone else experience stuttering just as the door opens when you enter a test chamber? Doing my developer commentary run now and it's really bugging me this time round. Everything stutters for a second or two but then everything is normal again. I have tried turning various settings up, down on and off but nothing seems to fix the issue, suggestions?

Oni Jazar

I've been playing the Portal Pro mod for Portal 1 and after the first 18 or so level's it's getting devilishly tough! What's awesome about it is how simple the levels are but the solutions are very clever. No ninja skills, logic is what you need. I've shamefully had to look up a walkthrough for the last 3 or so levels and I'm kicking myself for not figuring them out. If you think Portal 2 was easy and want a real portal challenge definitely try it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Oni Jazar said:
I've been playing the Portal Pro mod for Portal 1 and after the first 18 or so level's it's getting devilishly tough! What's awesome about it is how simple the levels are but the solutions are very clever. No ninja skills, logic is what you need. I've shamefully had to look up a walkthrough for the last 3 or so levels and I'm kicking myself for not figuring them out. If you think Portal 2 was easy and want a real portal challenge definitely try it.
Thanks for the heads up on this! Just downloaded it. I love the disclaimer:
No levels or challenges require any glitch portal techniques.
Let me be more specific. Absolutely NO puzzles, challenges, or secrets require the use of any of the following:
- portal tunneling
- physics wall climbing
- angled flings
- placing physics objects in doors to hold them open
- portaling under doors
- out of bounds glitches
- ducking/pausing while going through a portal in order to accelerate/decelerate
I played a mod with angled flings, it took me forever to figure out what it was I was supposed to do, but it was still satisfying once I understood.

cackhyena

Oh, cool. I'll have to get that eventually. Verging on blaspheming, I know, but I think I prefer the Portal experience on a couch with controllers now.

Grisby

Soda said:

No. Theres developer commentary/achievements and cop op if you haven't done it. However, nothing changes the core puzzle gameplay.

StevieP

Banned
Soda said:

Posts like this make me livid. It's not Call of Duty! It's a single player game with co-op as an added bonus.

Achievments make me equally livid, though.

Kapura

Banned
Finished portal 2, then got about 60% of the way through another go with commentary enabled.

Things I Didn't like:
- Loading seemed too prevalent. I don't remember getting frustrated at it in the original, but the Source engine's inability to stream the content was really grating in portal 2. I'm good at this game, and the game proceeds to reward me by making me load in lifts every 2 minutes for the first and final thirds of the game.

- Portals + gels (especially blue) made me nauseas. This is another problem I didn't have with the first game, nor with the first third of this game. but when I'm bouncing in and around portals, my stomach got pissed.

- A bunch of running around doing nothing. During the first and second acts and parts of the third it seemed like you were running around a lot, not doing anything. Carrying Wheatly, just trying to find your way around the massive facility, etc. It seemed like this was just an excuse to throw dialogue at you, but it didn't seem like an elegant solution to just have the players walk around for five minutes at a time.

I've more to say, but I'm going to class now, so I'll be back. Back.

- The entire game seemed like it was always introducing new elements, like it was all a sort of tutorial. Portal 1 basically had turrets, blocks, energy spheres, and portals. Portal 2 has turrets, blocks, lasers, portals, faith plates, light bridges, three kinds of gel, and funnels. It just seems like a lot of shit was constantly introduced, so it seemed like the devs were barely starting to get clever with one element before they were introducing another

- * The single exception in my mind was
the vertical escape from the condemned lab, in which you used every gel in new and creative ways. That felt like a good solid puzzle.

So i think this game was good, but not as good as the first. Gonna be starting the co-op soon, so maybe I'll like that more.

Jasoco

Banned
Kapura said:
Things I Didn't like:
- Portals + gels (especially blue) made me nauseas. This is another problem I didn't have with the first game, nor with the first third of this game. but when I'm bouncing in and around portals, my stomach got pissed.
Just be glad they didn't include the wall walking gel they were planning on.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Oni Jazar said:

Wow - that looks really great! Are there any other nice portal mods or fan level packs that are this high quality that don't rely on shenanigans?

Jasoco

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Can that be done on the Mac Steam version? And does it replace or supplement the normal game?

DatBreh

Banned
Are there any co-op puzzles that are impossible to accomplish alone? With PSN being down ive been playing them by myself just going back and forth with the controllers. Ive made it to the 4th set of chambers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Covfan said:
Portal 2 has just updated for me on Steam, anyone else?

Yes, there was an update released today.

Valve said:
Updates to Portal 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Portal 2
- Fixed Portal 2 Authoring Tools failing to load on WinXP
- Enabled cl_fov convar
- Minor localization and subtitle fixes for Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish

Divius

Buckethead said:
Whoever designed the Still Alive achievement can punch themselves in the private area.

Took me 2 hours.
I don't think it's that hard plus I'm sure I have completed that course without dying, but somehow my partners always manage to die.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So now I'm on
chapter 6 with the repulsive gel
and it's THE TRIPPIEST SHIT EVER.

Though one thing I'll say is that
as much as I love the details and exploration aspect once you escape with that small robot, it just felt like it dragged a little bit too much. It was OK when you were trying to get to GLaDOS, but after he betrays you it's like, "again?".

Soda

StevieP said:
Posts like this make me livid. It's not Call of Duty! It's a single player game with co-op as an added bonus.

Achievments make me equally livid, though.

Oh really? You despise achievements that much? Hate to break it to you, but every single video game has an achievement no matter how old, even if you may not get some points or a cute trophy, they still have achievements. For example, beating the game is an achievement. Beating the boss without taking damage is an achievement. Figuring out a puzzle in a short amount of time is an achievement. If video games didn't have "achievements" they would be boring and pointless. Get off your high horse, buddy.

And if you still feel the same way about achievements after what I said above, I got an awesome game for you to play right here. It's called "stare at this"

brick_wall11254935255.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just finished the game today, longer than I was expecting. Degree of difficulty kind of varried wildly at time, only really shooting sharply upwards near the end of
the Cave Johnson segments

Outside of that, all I was really disappointed by was Wheatly turning evil, it was so obvious it may as well as counted as prologue. And then the Wheatly levels at the end, I dunno if it was because I had mastered so much of the game already or if it really was easy, but they were a breeze to get through. The ending was quite a blitz though. God damn moon.

Pretty happy with the game. I couldn't appreciate much of the humor since this game required a lot of attention, to me atleast. Maybe I missed some easter egg here and there, I dunno, hope not.

Soda

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Just finished the game today, longer than I was expecting. Degree of difficulty kind of varried wildly at time, only really shooting sharply upwards near the end of
the Cave Johnson segments

Outside of that, all I was really disappointed by was Wheatly turning evil, it was so obvious it may as well as counted as prologue. And then the Wheatly levels at the end, I dunno if it was because I had mastered so much of the game already or if it really was easy, but they were a breeze to get through. The ending was quite a blitz though. God damn moon.

Pretty happy with the game. I couldn't appreciate much of the humor since this game required a lot of attention, to me atleast. Maybe I missed some easter egg here and there, I dunno, hope not.

I think it's a shame you didn't pay attention to the dialogue. For me, it was what actually made the game worth the money. The puzzles were very simple for me, but Wheatly and GlaDOS were too funny. My favorite things they would say/do had to do with their preprogrammed knowledge of human beings, like "listening to this jazz should calm you" type of thing. I honestly loled at parts like that.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Soda said:
I think it's a shame you didn't pay attention to the dialogue. For me, it was what actually made the game worth the money. The puzzles were very simple for me, but Wheatly and GlaDOS were too funny. My favorite things they would say/do had to do with their preprogrammed knowledge of human beings, like "listening to this jazz should calm you" type of thing. I honestly loled at parts like that.
Oh, I listened, I was just so god damn tense the whole time trying to focus on placing Portals, the humor couldn't crack me. :lol

The one that got me most though was
Cave johnson's lemons speech. HERE'S YOU LEMONS!

Top Bottom