• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One complaint.
There was this one instance where I didn't know where to shoot a portal because it was very hard to see where you were supposed to be shooting at. I believe it was at the end of chapter 7 where you're supposed to climb up to a high place and use the the gels to keep progressing. Anyway, once you climb up towards the top, you're in a room full of pipes where you're supposed to climb upwards once you plaster it with the white gel. I was stuck in this room for like thirty minutes trying to figure out where to go and to my surprise, you're supposed to aim towards a high spot at a specific spot for a portal to appear at the upwards room. Wtf?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think that's right. Opposite where you come out there is a small rail a little higher up which is quite hard to see, if you portal over to that side you can run up and do it very easily.

Sibylus

Banned
@Rewrite:
Took me a bit to see that as well, but mainly because walking up those slanted pipes really fucked with my head. I'd look back and wonder if I was even in the same place.

I half-wonder if that's the "impossible space" the commentary was talking about. The way your view tilt gets shallower and steeper when you walk around has the feelings of such an area.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_vHELgkbQ

1 hour and 3 minutes. That's what I was talking about. lol For the life of me, I could not see none of that shit that was up at the top.

Botolf said:
@Rewrite:
Took me a bit to see that as well, but mainly because walking up those slanted pipes really fucked with my head. I'd look back and wonder if I was even in the same place.

I half-wonder if that's the "impossible space" the commentary was talking about. The way your view tilt gets shallower and steeper when you walk around has the feelings of such an area.
It totally fucked with my head too. I was getting a headache at all my failed attempts in trying to find a way out. My head kept thinking, "THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE".
:lol

DarkKyo

Rewrite said:
One complaint.
There was this one instance where I didn't know where to shoot a portal because it was very hard to see where you were supposed to be shooting at. I believe it was at the end of chapter 7 where you're supposed to climb up to a high place and use the the gels to keep progressing. Anyway, once you climb up towards the top, you're in a room full of pipes where you're supposed to climb upwards once you plaster it with the white gel. I was stuck in this room for like thirty minutes trying to figure out where to go and to my surprise, you're supposed to aim towards a high spot at a specific spot for a portal to appear at the upwards room. Wtf?
My brother and a good friend of mine both had a lot of trouble at this part but for some reason it didn't bother me at all. I was able to do it quickly because
I remember having to do that in the first Portal towards the end. Look through a grate/fan to see white on the other side

Edit:
OH nevermind, I was thinking of the part right before what you described.

cackhyena

The Xtortionist said:
Mark Hamill in Arkham City and Nolan North/others in Uncharted 3. It'll be a struggle.
Unable to tell if facetious or not. I personally wouldn't sneeze at either of those guys, but Merchant's performance is quite the bar to hurdle at this point. Especially considering that he does this in a booth. No acting it out like North.

Stuff from LA Noire could be a contender as well. There are so many damn good games coming.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stated it in the PS3 downtime thread, but should state it here in case Valve checks here instead of there:

Me said:
The really lame thing about online co-op for the PS3 version is no text-chat. I'm not sure if the PC version is similar for PC-PC, but PS3-PS3 doesn't let you text-chat unless you use the in-game XMB option. Which is clunky and slows the game down for someone disabled like me. Thankfully, Dreamgazer doesn't have a problem with it, so we slowly get the co-op while me and him figure out the puzzles. Unless there's some serious timed event (oh god I hope not) we shouldn't have issues completing the game.

I do wish Valve considered disabled gamers on consoles like they do PC with the Source CC's. There's no reason to not have text-chat in game since MGO and maybe one other game can do it and PSN/Sony supports it. :(

Jasoco said:
They do if you use Desura. But I use Steam.

That doesn't sound like that makes much sense.

Desura just installs the mods into Steam's SourceMods folder. It is no different from installing the mods manually, other than it auto checks for updates.

I literaly just finished this. Just godamn f-ing fantastic. Fantastic. I even did the rare slow clap when it reverted back to the title screen. That honor is reserved for the rarest of rare games that give me hope that not all creativity is dead in this industry. AND I say this as a non-Valve fanboy. I played all of an hour of Half-Life, found Half Life 2 dreadfully boring and Left 4 Dead Shallow. Blasphemy I know. I probably shouldn't have shared that. If it makes you feel any better I'm now thinking about finishing HL2.

Jasoco

Banned
HadesGigas said:
That doesn't sound like that makes much sense.

Desura just installs the mods into Steam's SourceMods folder. It is no different from installing the mods manually, other than it auto checks for updates.
It does? I thought they were competing distribution systems.

Jasoco said:
It does? I thought they were competing distribution systems.

Yes and no. Desura is a digital distribution storefront for indie games yes, and in that way they compete with Steam.

But it is also a way to manage, distribute, and update mods from ModDB. It basically scans your computer and finds games you have installed that it has mods for, and installs the mods in the proper location for you.

I can't wait to play this on PC soon!

I don't regret playing it on PS3 first because waiting this long would've been worse, but I imagine this playthrough is going to be so much better.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
GillianSeed79 said:
I literaly just finished this. Just godamn f-ing fantastic. Fantastic. I even did the rare slow clap when it reverted back to the title screen. That honor is reserved for the rarest of rare games that give me hope that not all creativity is dead in this industry. AND I say this as a non-Valve fanboy. I played all of an hour of Half-Life, found Half Life 2 dreadfully boring and Left 4 Dead Shallow. Blasphemy I know. I probably shouldn't have shared that. If it makes you feel any better I'm now thinking about finishing HL2.

You should, if only for the story. Also because Episode 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Razorskin

----- ------
Well I synced with Steam but now all of my achievement unlocked times are all the same, not a big deal just something I noticed.

edit: oh yeah if you guys have any codes for coop skins you can redeem them as it doesn't require access to PSN store, just redeemed mine.

Curufinwe

Razorskin said:
Well I synced with Steam but now all of my achievement unlocked times are all the same, not a big deal just something I noticed.

edit: oh yeah if you guys have any codes for coop skins you can redeem them as it doesn't require access to PSN store, just redeemed mine.

To sync with Steam I just need to start up Portal 2 on the PS3 and hit SELECT, right?

Yup, that worked.

StuBurns

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
What did you play HL2 on? I think it's one of the few games that dramatically benefit from KB/M. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it on console, but the progression seems a lot slower, I think it hurts the pacing a lot.

Montresor

1000/1000! The Still Alive achievement was easily the most difficult. The game was really satisfying to beat. The co-op felt just as meaty as the single player.

And now I will wait for the hopefully-free DLC.

StuBurns said:
What did you play HL2 on? I think it's one of the few games that dramatically benefit from KB/M. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it on console, but the progression seems a lot slower, I think it hurts the pacing a lot.

I'm playing HL2 on 360 orange box for the first time. The game is amazing but it always leaves me feeling like it's a PC game first. There is no way to aim down the iron sights of any gun, and that can get irritating. But I can see how having a KBM would make aiming without iron sights pretty easy.

My favourite aspect of HL2 is its atmosphere. It's so creepy. And you're never teleported anywhere. I dont think I've seen that in a game before. From the beginning of my playthrough I've been traversing every inch on foot or in a vehicle in real-time. It's like the entire game world is one huge inter-connected level.

Montresor said:
1000/1000! The Still Alive achievement was easily the most difficult. The game was really satisfying to beat. The co-op felt just as meaty as the single player.

And now I will wait for the hopefully-free DLC.
It is free, and comes in the summer.

TheSeks

Okay, single player. I'm stuck in "Testchamber 08,":
As soon as you start, there's an emancipation grill/kills objects that aren't you and the portal gun, blocking the way for the laser redirection box to get through. I don't see a hole or an ability to get over there. Throwing portals is a no go, since the grill kills them if you cross it.

Is there some OBVIOUS solution to this that I'm missing? I've looked around and I don't notice a solution for this. :/

Montresor

TheSeks said:
As soon as you start, there's an emancipation grill/kills objects that aren't you and the portal gun, blocking the way for the laser redirection box to get through. I don't see a hole or an ability to get over there. Throwing portals is a no go, since the grill kills them if you cross it.

Is there some OBVIOUS solution to this that I'm missing? I've looked around and I don't notice a solution for this. :/

I could be wrong but aren't there a bunch of test chamber 8s in the game? Which chapter are you on?

StuBurns

Banned
TheSeks said:

There's a small circular hole on the wall next to the grid.

TheSeks

Montresor said:
I could be wrong but aren't there a bunch of test chamber 8s in the game? Which chapter are you on?

Chapter 2: Cold Reboot.

StuBurns said:

I've noticed that, but I can't seem to figure out how you're supposed to throw the box through there. It's too high for you/Chell to jump to and dump the box and the portals don't seem to go anywhere near it.

Madrical

Banned
Montresor said:
I'm playing HL2 on 360 orange box for the first time. The game is amazing but it always leaves me feeling like it's a PC game first. There is no way to aim down the iron sights of any gun, and that can get irritating. But I can see how having a KBM would make aiming without iron sights pretty easy.

Have you never played a FPS pre-2006? I don't know what game was the first to use the feature, but I'm blaming Call of Duty for making it popular.

TheSeks

Madrical said:
Have you never played a FPS pre-2006? I don't know what game was the first to use the feature, but I'm playing Call of Duty for making it popular.

Uh... Call of Duty, in 2003? For PC? When it was 90% Q3A with10% mods like that?

StuBurns said:

OH! I AM AN IDIOT! I solved it. I knew there was something to do with that, but I didn't expect
throwing portals through it
, mostly because Portal 1 never had a solution (IIRC) that had to go that way.

Madrical

Banned
TheSeks said:
Uh... Call of Duty, in 2003? For PC? When it was 90% Q3A with10% mods like that?
Wasn't the original CoD as I'm pretty sure Vietcong had iron sights and that was released early 2003. But anyway, off topic now.

Portal 2, great game. Best game I've played since Demon's Souls probably.

epmode

Montresor said:
I'm playing HL2 on 360 orange box for the first time. The game is amazing but it always leaves me feeling like it's a PC game first. There is no way to aim down the iron sights of any gun, and that can get irritating.
You don't even know how much this post pains me.

StuBurns

Banned
TheSeks said:
I've noticed that, but I can't seem to figure out how you're supposed to throw the box through there. It's too high for you/Chell to jump to and dump the box and the portals don't seem to go anywhere near it.
EDIT: Never mind, you did it, cool.

TheSeks

Madrical said:
Wasn't the original CoD as I'm pretty sure Vietcong had iron sights and that was released early 2003. But anyway, off topic now.

No?

StuBurns said:
>>Solution<<

Yeah, I solved it right as soon as I jumped on the box in frustration and saw through it. :lol

cackhyena

I'm struggling to get through HL2 atm ( on PC). I dig the atmosphere, but man, the vehicle sections are awful and the gun play is just not very fun. I can totally see why this game was the shit back when it came out, and it's graphics still hold up pretty damn well, but the fun factor is so much less the I thought it would be for me.

Madrical

Banned
TheSeks said:

I'm confused as to what you want to me look at on the page?

cackhyena said:
I'm struggling to get through HL2 atm ( on PC). I dig the atmosphere, but man, the vehicle sections are awful and the gun play is just not very fun. I can totally see why this game was the shit back when it came out, and it's graphics still hold up pretty damn well, but the fun factor is so much less the I thought it would be for me.

A lot of people feel this way after playing it nowadays. I think it's because the FPS genre has changed so drastically in the last 5-6 years. Although I'd have thought that it'd be a breath of fresh air from the standard super-soldier, regen health, collectibles, iron sights, cliche storyline, corridor shooter that we get now. *shrug* Push through it still, you might find you're enjoying it more.

Montresor

epmode said:
You don't even know how much this post pains me.

Well your post pains me as well, trust me. You don't explain what is offensive about my post, so how am I supposed to explain or defend myself?

epmode

Montresor said:
Well your post pains me as well, trust me. You don't explain what is offensive about my post, so how am I supposed to explain or defend myself?
The very notion that someone would complain about the lack of iron sights is the problem.

And before someone says it, just including iron sight functionality tends to change the way a game plays. Enemies will have to be killable while zoomed in so they can't move all that fast, accuracy (or lack thereof) becomes a factor when zoomed out, etc. It slows down the game and it's all too common in modern games.

Montresor

epmode said:
The very notion that someone would complain about the lack of iron sights is the problem.

And before someone says it, just including iron sight functionality tends to change the way a game plays. Enemies will have to be killable while zoomed in so they can't move all that fast, accuracy (or lack thereof) becomes a factor when zoomed out, etc. It slows down the game and it's all too common in modern games.

Understandable points. I'm just so used to being able to hold down L-trigger and zoom in very slightly with my gun. I'm still loving HL2. The Ravenholm chapter was so creepy. Man I was getting chills listening to those dudes screaming in pain while on fire.

cackhyena

Madrical said:
I'm confused as to what you want to me look at on the page?

A lot of people feel this way after playing it nowadays. I think it's because the FPS genre has changed so drastically in the last 5-6 years. Although I'd have thought that it'd be a breath of fresh air from the standard super-soldier, regen health, collectibles, iron sights, cliche storyline, corridor shooter that we get now. *shrug* Push through it still, you might find you're enjoying it more.
Oh, I have to. I have to get to those Episodes and see what's up. I'm really sucked in to the Valve way of telling a story after Portal 1 and 2.

Madrical

Banned
Montresor said:
Understandable points. I'm just so used to being able to hold down L-trigger and zoom in very slightly with my gun. I'm still loving HL2. The Ravenholm chapter was so creepy. Man I was getting chills listening to those dudes screaming in pain while on fire.
Glad you liked Ravenholm, I know people who really disliked it. It's probably one of my favourite chapters, along with Highway 17.

I don't have an issue with iron sights. I enjoy games with and without them, but if I had to choose either one, I'd probably choose without; at least for multiplayer.

cackhyena said:
Oh, I have to. I have to get to those Episodes and see what's up. I'm really sucked in to the Valve way of telling a story after Portal 1 and 2.

Welcome to the club.

Montresor said:
There is no way to aim down the iron sights of any gun, and that can get irritating. But I can see how having a KBM would make aiming without iron sights pretty easy.
I've played Half-Life 2 and episodes on the 360 so many times, and I've never felt this way. I've never had difficulty aiming the way it is. I hate iron sights, and including it in Half-Life would ruin the game for me and make it unplayable. It's too much of a restrictive element to a campaign, and a big part of the reason why Halo and Half-Life trump other FPS campaigns.

Also, I love the gun play in Half-Life. I used to think it was okay, but over my last play through I found myself desiring more and more combat.

So I finished up Co Op with a friend on 360 last night but didn't get credit for the achievement. Which was weird because I played all of Co Op with the same kid and he got it. Has this happened to anyone else and/or know how to fix it?

I really don't feel like playing through in split screen by myself because the kid I played with refuses to play through again. He's pretty much one of the worst Portal players ever lol.

Sethos

Banned
Completed the game this morning with a friend of mine. We had to install Skype because if you used the call feature through Steam Friends, the game would just mute it and take over, using a piss poor codec causing the sound quality to drop about 16000%. As for the game, despite loving Portals 1 I just feel completely numb about this one, didn't move me whatsoever, didn't do anything whatsoever. All I remember is the constant loading and both of us sighing and asking each other "Doesn't this end soon?".

Really thought the Co-op experience would do something for me ...

Kimosabae

Banned
Just watched Equilibrium on SyFy. It's soundtrack seem similar to elements of Portal 2 in many ways. Also, P2 soundtracks get very Bladerunner-esque in the latter portions.

TheSeks

ILOVEASIANS said:
So I finished up Co Op with a friend on 360 last night but didn't get credit for the achievement. Which was weird because I played all of Co Op with the same kid and he got it. Has this happened to anyone else and/or know how to fix it?

I really don't feel like playing through in split screen by myself because the kid I played with refuses to play through again. He's pretty much one of the worst Portal players ever lol.

Did you skip chapters by playing with someone else? :)| if that's the case, since I joined Killthee and played a chapter).

Man the chapter 3 area is devilishly hard at times (stupid grabbing something while under fire and the barrier doesn't totally protect you).

TheSeks said:
Did you skip chapters by playing with someone else? :)| if that's the case, since I joined Killthee and played a chapter).

Nope. Played with the same kid the entire time, but it wasn't in one sitting and we switched Blue and Orange a couple times. Pretty sure something is screwed up in the 5th Test Chamber.

TheSeks

ILOVEASIANS said:
Nope. Played with the same kid the entire time, but it wasn't in one sitting and we switched Blue and Orange a couple times. Pretty sure something is screwed up in the 5th Test Chamber.

According to x360a.org, there's your problem. Go to the hub in game with someone else and see the test chamber colors. You need them to be in one (player 1/2, Atlas/P-body) color to get the achievement.

TheSeks said:
According to x360a.org, there's your problem. Go to the hub in game with someone else and see the test chamber colors. You need them to be in one (player 1/2, Atlas/P-body) color to get the achievement.

Ahh, thanks man. I'll have to go check that out.

ElRenoRaven

You know having finally gotten Portal 2 redeemed and having played a bit of it both PS3 and PC I can honestly say that Steam should be on all consoles to go along with the PC.

The Steam integration seems pretty cool at the moment. I didn't realise the game would be 10gigs, though, so the odds of me starting my second playthrough tonight are slim to none :(

StuBurns

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
You know having finally gotten Portal 2 redeemed and having played a bit of it both PS3 and PC I can honestly say that Steam should be on all consoles to go along with the PC.
It's a very impressive function, and redeeming was completely painless. However real Steam is not going to come to the consoles. This is about as much as we'll get.

Top Bottom