• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

OMG Aero

Lion Heart said:
Ok quick question.

When you link your account to a steam account, can that steam account see PS3 friends list or anything? What exactly changes on the PC side of steam?
On the PC side if you have Steam friends who are playing Portal 2 on the PS3, they will appear on your friends list and you can join them. You will only see those friends while they are playing Portal 2 though, not any other online PS3 game.

Willeth

Has anyone reading this on PS3/PC not played-co-op yet and would like to whiz through the first area now to help me get Professor Portal?

EDIT: On second thought, never mind, I should be in bed.

jediyoshi

Little playing around in Hammer

ic4m8w.jpg

ic4ebQ.jpg

ToyBroker

Banned
Finished the game today in preparation for LA Noire. Was so damn fun.

The puzzles where you fall from really high to go flying through the air...SO awesome. The second I solved those, I always went back and did them again.

Aurarian

Anyone mind helping me get the still alive trophy? My friend quit for the night since we kept making careless mistakes. PSN/Steam Aurarian.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is there a way to make Source games start with the fps_max 60 command? An autoexec.cfg style file? I'm usually playing them windowed and vsync doesn't work with that (well, if that can work that would be better) so they tend to overwork the card and run at insane fps on things like the menus etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alextended said:
Is there a way to make Source games start with the fps_max 60 command? An autoexec.cfg style file? I'm usually playing them windowed and vsync doesn't work with that (well, if that can work that would be better) so they tend to overwork the card and run at insane fps on things like the menus etc.

Set it as a launch option (+fps_max 60) by right-clicking on the game in the Steam library list, selecting Properties and then clicking Set Launch Options.

You can find config.cfg in the game's cfg folder (e.g. steamapps\common\portal2\portal2\cfg), but in the case of Portal 2 the game resets to the default value of 300 if you don't have the fps_max cvar defined as a launch option.

Stuck on Chap. 5

In the area where I have to destroy the neurotoxin stuff. Placed a portal at the end of the laser next to the button that opens the door, but I have no idea where to put the other one.

darkwing

lazybones18 said:
Stuck on Chap. 5

In the area where I have to destroy the neurotoxin stuff. Placed a portal at the end of the laser next to the button that opens the door, but I have no idea where to put the other one.

look up

Red UFO

lazybones18 said:
Stuck on Chap. 5

In the room with the neurotoxin, there are moving white tiles. Give them a try. Your other portal is in the right place.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I just finished it. WOW.

That's all I can say. Beautiful.

That really DID happen. :O :eek: :O

one thing though,
Still Alive was a much better ending credit song. I didn't feel the new song too much.

NinjaBoiX

I had to sell my PS3 copy but did so before I could link my steam account. I plan to pick it up again on Friday, and have my coupon still, so my question is will I be able to buy it preowned and use my coupon, or is each disc tied to its own coupon? I noticed a code printed under the BLES code on the disc implying that the latter may be the case. Does anyone know?

Edit: Just noticed a load of other games have a similar code printed in a similar manner. they are all games that came with extra content (mainly EA games DS: Extraction code,
Skate 3 Comminity Pack, NFS:HP Online Pass, etc) Are all these codes tied to their respective blu-rays? I'm sure Xbox dvd's don't work like this, I passed a duplicate Alan Wake The Writer code to a fellow gaffer.

JaseC

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I had to sell my PS3 copy but did so before I could link my steam account. I plan to pick it up again on Friday, and have my coupon still, so my question is will I be able to buy it preowned and use my coupon, or is each disc tied to its own coupon? I noticed a code printed under the BLES code on the disc implying that the latter may be the case. Does anyone know?

The tag is just what Sony use to id each particular game within a particular region (e.g. BLESXXXXX is Europe/PAL Land, IIRC). There is no possible way Valve could tie a redeem code to a specific disc even if they wanted to.

Suffice to say, your redeem code will function just fine. Since you still have it on you, why not just save yourself a few bucks and rent the game instead of purchasing it again?

Jintor

Rewrite said:
I just finished it. WOW.

That's all I can say. Beautiful.

That really DID happen. :O :eek: :O

one thing though,
Still Alive was a much better ending credit song. I didn't feel the new song too much.

I thought it was a little better musically.

"Exile Vilify" is still the best though

dangrib

just finished it. far out. so damn good. totally engrossed and in love with this series.
we can assume a Portal 3 will come one day?

also when is Exile Vilify played in the game? i totally missed it.

protonion

I beat co op today (psn...)! This is the real Portal 2!
I had 3-4 random partners, all of them good players. The final level was awesome. We were stuck at the
sliding cube part
. When the solution hit me it was like magic.
Nice credits music too!

NinjaBoiX

JaseC said:
The tag is just what Sony use to id each particular game within a particular region (e.g. BLESXXXXX is Europe/PAL Land, IIRC). There is no possible way Valve could tie a redeem code to a specific disc even if they wanted to.

Suffice to say, your redeem code will function just fine. Since you still have it on you, why not just save yourself a few bucks and rent the game instead of purchasing it again?
I know the BLES code is a region thing, all discs have this, but there is a code underneath this one on certain discs, Portal 2 being one of them. On Hot Pursuit its EAX-------. But I'll take your word for it not being a problem, just curious what this mysterious code is...
I want it on PS3 because it's my dad's PC, and I prefer the pad to M&KB anyway.

JaseC

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I know the BLES code is a region thing, all discs have this, but there is a code underneath this one on certain discs, Portal 2 being one of them. On Hot Pursuit its EAX-------. But I'll take your word for it not being a problem, just curious what this mysterious code is...

Yeah, sorry, I misread your post and didn't notice you said under the BLES code. Having just looked at a bunch of my own PS3 games, as far as I can tell it's a code EA chuck on to the disc art of the games they distribute. Probably an identifier for each individual disc pressed.

I want it on PS3 because it's my dad's PC, and I prefer the pad to M&KB anyway.

Ah, okay. I had thought you simply wanted to redeem your PC copy and then be done with the PS3 version.

dangrib said:
thanks for the response :)

oh snap i missed that little side room! my bad.

i havent played any HL games at all. should i start with HL1 or can i get away with playing HL2?

The original Half-Life isn't necessary to understand the events of Half-Life 2, but having said that even to this day it's still an amazing game, so I say start with it.

NinjaBoiX

JaseC said:
Yeah, sorry, I misread your post and didn't notice you said under the BLES code. Having just looked at a bunch of my own PS3 games, as far as I can tell it's a code EA chuck on to the disc art of the games they distribute. Probably an identifier for each individual disc pressed.

Ah, okay. I had thought you simply wanted to redeem your PC copy and then be done with the PS3 version.
See this is my worry, if they can identify each individual disc, and each coupon is obviously individual, then maybe each coupon is only redeemable on this disc it was boxed with. Or maybe each disc only allows one activation of the code, irregardless of wether it was the one in the box. Or maybe it's as you said, each code can be activated just once, but on any disc not matter how many codes have been redeemed with that disc.
Argh! Maybe I'll just buy it new again, it's been out just long enough too be starting to get discounted, but not quite long enough to be cheap pre-owned. Plus, an extra sale to Valve is fine with me.

JaseC

-NinjaBoiX- said:
See this is my worry, if they can identify each individual disc, and each coupon coupon is obviously individual, then maybe they each coupon is only redeemable on this disc it was boxed with. Or maybe each disc only allows one activation of the code, irregardless of wether it was the one in the box. Or maybe it's as you said, each code can be activated just once, but on any disc not matter how many codes have been redeemed with that disc.
Argh! Maybe I'll just buy it new again, it's been out just long enough too be starting to get discounted, but not quite long enough to be cheap pre-owned. Plus, an extra sale to Valve is fine with me.

But that wouldn't be EA's call, it would be Valves, and they've said nothing of it. Even if they did try to sneak it in, we would've heard something of it by now.

If you're really worried, rent the game. Then, when your code works, take it back and buy your own copy again.

Edit: Since the code is only needed on the PC end when you've signed in to or created a Steam account on the PS3, tying it to a disc would be pointless. It's a code for Steam, after all.

NinjaBoiX

JaseC said:
But that wouldn't be EA's call, it would be Valves, and they've said nothing of it. Even if they did try to sneak it in, we would've heard something of it by now.

If you're really worried, rent the game. Then, when your code works, take it back and buy your own copy again.

Edit: Since the code is only needed on the PC end when you've signed in to or created a Steam account on the PS3, tying it to a disc would be pointless. It's a code for Steam, after all.
Good point.

StevieP

Banned
Soda said:
Oh really? You despise achievements that much? Hate to break it to you, but every single video game has an achievement no matter how old, even if you may not get some points or a cute trophy, they still have achievements. For example, beating the game is an achievement. Beating the boss without taking damage is an achievement. Figuring out a puzzle in a short amount of time is an achievement. If video games didn't have "achievements" they would be boring and pointless. Get off your high horse, buddy.

And if you still feel the same way about achievements after what I said above, I got an awesome game for you to play right here. It's called "stare at this"

ACHIEVING something in a game is different than "you found the secret drydock, here's some e-peen that you can show to your friends"

Finally deep enough into the single player now to form something of an opinion.

1) This game is a classic.
2) The loading times (frequency and placement, not length) really hurt the experience.

StevieP said:
ACHIEVING something in a game is different than "you found the secret drydock, here's some e-peen that you can show to your friends"

Finding something secret and hidden is an achievement. You've done something not everyone has done.

The only thing wrong with achievements is when you can't turn them off and they pop up in single player games, completely destroying any mood or atmosphere. So annoying.

Willeth

So I'm repeating my offer from the top of the page - is there anyone on PS3/PC that hasn't played co-op yet and would like to give it a go now? I'm trawling for Professor Portal but I'll play with you as long as you like. Add me on Steam/PSN as Willeth.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Willeth said:
So I'm repeating my offer from the top of the page - is there anyone on PS3/PC that hasn't played co-op yet and would like to give it a go now? I'm trawling for Professor Portal but I'll play with you as long as you like. Add me on Steam/PSN as Willeth.
Are you online right now? I can make a dummy account to help you get it.

_Isaac

One thing I've noticed about the co-op campaign is that the puzzles tend to be easily solved the wrong way, and by the wrong way I just mean an alternative way. I don't know how many times my partner and I finished a puzzle and we were just like "What the hell? What was that button for?" or "Were we supposed to use this cube for something?" It's happened frequently.

Willeth

Killthee said:
Are you online right now? I can make a dummy account to help you get it.
That would be agreeable.

Wait, actually, can you create a PSN account right now with the Store down?

_Isaac said:
One thing I've noticed about the co-op campaign is that the puzzles tend to be easily solved the wrong way, and by the wrong way I just mean an alternative way. I don't know how many times my partner and I finished a puzzle and we were just like "What the hell? What was that button for?" or "Were we supposed to use this cube for something?" It's happened frequently.
I've noticed that in a few rooms, playing through them again. Seems to happen most in the excursion funnel and light bridge rooms, where you can finagle a weird solution when there's always a more elegant intended one.

Cartman86

Banned
Mister_Bubbles said:
Finding something secret and hidden is an achievement. You've done something not everyone has done.

The only thing wrong with achievements is when you can't turn them off and they pop up in single player games, completely destroying any mood or atmosphere. So annoying.

The achievement
joke though in the game is so good I wouldn't to turn it off. At least on PC and 360. On PS3 it doesn't pop up at the right moment (at least when I saw that version).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Willeth said:
That would be agreeable.

Wait, actually, can you create a PSN account right now with the Store down?
Yeah, the store only handles transactions and the download list. Everything else is up right now.

Throwing you a FR.....

Cartman86 said:
The achievement
joke though in the game is so good I wouldn't to turn it off. At least on PC and 360. On PS3 it doesn't pop up at the right moment (at least when I saw that version).

Very true! Possibly the only instance of an achievement pop-up working to enhance the in-game experience. In that long interview with Wolpaw, he said:

"There are all these absurd conventions in games. But if you have an absurd game, you can embrace the conventions instead of fighting against them."

And I wrote it down, because it's a really good point ¬_¬

Aurarian

Anyone mind helping me to do Professor Portal and Friends List with Benefits for the Platinum in half an hour or more? Would really appreciate it. My PSN/Steam is Aurarian.

Does anyone know if in order to unlock the latter achievement, you have to either do it with only your PSN friends or can it be a mix of psn/steam.

Leeness

I think I'm obsessed with this game. I finished it a week ago and I just can't stop replaying it, playing single player with others, playing co-op, etc.

I just love it so much and it's going to ruin gaming for me, haha. Because now I won't be able to play another game (for a while) that doesn't make me sneer at the characters and wonder why they're not as amazing as GlaDOS and Wheatley.

Thanks, Portal 2. :(

Willeth

Aurarian said:
Anyone mind helping me to do Professor Portal and Friends List with Benefits for the Platinum in half an hour or more? Would really appreciate it. My PSN/Steam is Aurarian.

Does anyone know if in order to unlock the latter achievement, you have to either do it with only your PSN friends or can it be a mix of psn/steam.
It can be a mix of PSN and Steam. I'm willing to give you a hug if you want to help me with Triple Crown and Still Alive?

EDIT: Actually, if anyone wants to get these two, give me a shout.

HadesGigas said:
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/104600/ss_062fbb265f47c020da57d9a59c4e8a88816d5d78.600x338.jpg[/img

[URL="http://store.steampowered.com/app/104600/"]Portal 2 Final Hours now available on Steam for $2[/URL][/QUOTE]
Would download...if I remembered the password to my Steam account.

Top Bottom