• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just beat 3 of the 5 finalists from the single player map tournament held and here are some thoughts:

-Infinifling: This one was quite short and borrows a bit too much from the original puzzles. It didn't push me to think quite as much as the others, but it was still pretty fun. He does use Wheately dialogue excellently though and that does net him some bonus points as does a lovely bit of lighting at the end.

-Cubes 'n' Funnels: Kinda short and simple again, but executing the solution to the puzzle is a real pleasure. I enjoyed the heavy use of the one mechanic in particular, which I won't give away. I was also impressed that he include bit of moving geometry to help keep players from trapping themselves.

-Patent Pending: This was the overal winner and it shows. Each puzzle is quite cleverly crafted and each one felt very satisfying to figure out. I was surprised by the length and there was a nice difficulty curve. Everyone should download and try this.

I'll write up impressions of the other 2 finalists when I play them and hopefully my Partner in Science will reinstall the game so I can give the co-op maps a try.

Just finished co-op. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's good. I'm gonna throw this out there- co-op is easily superior to single player in terms of puzzle design and such. Really enjoyed it.

That ending is great too, although obviously not a touch on SP. I want DLC :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Green Scar said:
Just finished co-op. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's good. I'm gonna throw this out there- co-op is easily superior to single player in terms of puzzle design and such. Really enjoyed it.

That ending is great too, although obviously not a touch on SP. I want DLC :(

Well, some has been announced.

I'm not why Eurogamer brought up the in-game store as Valve have always treated Downloadable Content (e.g. maps) and Downloadable Crap (e.g. hats) as separate entities. Lumping them together seems disingenuous.

Dax01 said:
You know, when Valve announced DLC for the summer, I figured we'd at least have details by now, if not the DLC itself.

Hrm.

What's it going to take for us to convince you to join The Master Race? You know you are one of us. If it's a Bungie thing I'm sure that any games they make with Activision will be on PC from here on out.

I H8 Memes said:
What's it going to take for us to convince you to join The Master Race? You know you are one of us. If it's a Bungie thing I'm sure that any games they make with Activision will be on PC from here on out.
Whoa, dude. What happened to your name and member status?

And I'm not on PC because I'm primarily a Mac user, I don't have enough money to build/get a gaming PC, all my friends are on Xbox, and Halo doesn't come to PC.

Feep

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Weird, no one seems to give a shit about these maps.
I know! Everyone's primary complaint with Portal 2 was that the maps never really amped up that challenge.

Well, here's the challenge. People, play the maps. It's not like they're hard to install or anything. And they're awesome.

dwu8991

Banned
How come the game is so cheap on the PC. Its only $25 Brand New! I would die to pay that amount on the PS3 except it's double the amount! What gives? I can' imagine including the PS3 licence why there's such a big price difference especially when the PS3 version sells more than the PC version.. .

JaseC

dwu8991 said:
How come the game is so cheap on the PC. Its only $25 Brand New! I would die to pay that amount on the PS3 except it's double the amount! What gives? I can' imagine including the PS3 licence why there's such a big price difference especially when the PS3 version sells more than the PC version.. .

Valve have to pay licensing fees on the console versions. They can have the PC version priced at whatever they want (more or less) as the only third parties are retailers and EA with their tiny cut as the retail distributor.

dwu8991

Banned
JaseC said:
Valve have to pay licensing fees on the console versions. They can have the PC version priced at whatever they want (more or less) as the only third parties are retailers and EA with their tiny cut as the retail distributor.

Do you reckon the game would be a good fit for wii u?

JaseC

dwu8991 said:
Do you reckon the game would be a good fit for wii u?

Absolutely. In fact, Valve themselves have said as much... sort of (they mentioned something about how the WiiU fits within the scalability model of the Source Engine). In one of the WiiU threads some good suggestions were thrown around with regards to how the controller could be utilised to enhance the gameplay of Portal.

JaseC

If it's a custom map, why does the video mention that it's in the first chapter of the campaign? Wouldn't the campaign be composed of Valve maps?

JaseC said:
If it's a custom map, why does the video mention that it's in the first chapter of the campaign? Wouldn't the campaign be composed of Valve maps?
Suicide Blitz 2 is a custom L4D2 campaign.

Edit: Oops sorry, double posted without thinking. :p

JaseC

HenryHSH said:
To make it more believable.

edit: Look up Suicide Blitz 2. It's a custom campaign.
Treefingers said:
Suicide Blitz 2 is a custom L4D2 campaign.

Edit: Oops sorry, double posted without thinking. :p

Obviously I don't play enough L4D. :p themoreyouknow.jpg

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Currently in the chapter called "
The Escape
". I don't think I've made it to the half way point yet but right now I'm pretty damn sure this is going to be the best game Valve has ever made by the time I'm done with it.

Merchant is killing as Wheatley.

Portal 2 and Skyrim are going to be in a pretty fierce scuffle for my GOTY.

Oni Jazar

I played through Patent Pending and it was fun but very short. It was like 4 levels? Anyone looking for more Portal challenges NEEDS to download Portal Pro, a user level pack for the original Portal.

Been listening to the Portal 2 soundtrack. So good. The sound design was one of the best parts of this game.

Played through Episode Two for the eight hundredth time the other day, and although I liked the music when it kicks in, the sound design feels lacking when compared to Portal 2. I hope they take what they learned here and apply it to Episode Three/HL3. Dynamic music, FTW.

Ghost of Rattman is very creepy, too.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Wheatley did exactly what I've been praying he wouldn't do since the start, the lovable lil bastard betrayed me.

Goddammit, Valve!

You just broke my fucking heart.. :(

Zzoram

Wow the end was AMAZING!

When the ceiling broke open to expose the moon, my first instinct was to click it. However, I had no idea it would be related to the ending of the game, I figured I was supposed to go back to the button but for some reason I couldn't resist clicking on the moon first. Valve are geniuses for realizing that clicking the moon would be irresistable, resulting in a fast paced fluid end sequence without any prompting required.

So it appears that Chell escapes at the end, and that the sky was normal, not sure what that means.

Zzoram

pulga said:
Final Boss Glitch?

The motherfucker isn't shooting bombs at me?

What to do?

Load your last autosave? Could you explain with more detail the moments leading up to the glitch? You could just be missing something.

Brainboy

pulga said:
Final Boss Glitch?

The motherfucker isn't shooting bombs at me?

What to do?

A friend of mine had this happen. He said the only thing that fixed it was to restart the last chapter.

Zzoram said:
Wow the end was AMAZING!

When the ceiling broke open to expose the moon, my first instinct was to click it. However, I had no idea it would be related to the ending of the game, I figured I was supposed to go back to the button but for some reason I couldn't resist clicking on the moon first. Valve are geniuses for realizing that clicking the moon would be irresistable, resulting in a fast paced fluid end sequence without any prompting required.

So it appears that Chell escapes at the end, and that the sky was normal, not sure what that means.

It's seriously one the greatest moments of any game I've played.
I think I felt what Chell was feeling. It was all instinct. I was down, couldn't move, and everything seemed like it was over, and then one last desperate decision. I didn't even understand what I just did until Wheatley said "What the-?!"

Just reading through some of the posts here - I'll have to try out the community DLC at some point, but I was horribly reminded of the hat/item store in Portal 2.

I'm really not sure why the store exists.

Cosmetic items don't make sense at all to me in a first person game when you're never going to see more than one person at a time and the co-op isn't endlessly replayable like TF2 is.

I can't say some (foolish) people won't buy it as I got partnered up with a random guy who had bought some stuff, so I can't say it's a blunder as the time invested to make the content can't be very much. Selling even 10 of something probably pays for itself, but I will say it's sort of a misstep for me.

Dota 2 they can put all the hats in they want of course.

Synless

I'm trying to play the PC version of this with a friend of mine. I bought the PS3 version when the game launched used the code and have played with friends before on my PC. The problem is now it isn't showing any of the PSN stuff and I can't see my friend on his PS3. How do I get it back so that I can play the PC version with PS3 users?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Just beat it, have mixed emotions about it.

So pissed Glados isn't dead. It just feels wrong, leaving her behind, she enjoyed doing everything she did, killing all those people and she still felt the same even after she was disconnected and turned into a potato battery.

Wheatley, in the end I can forgive him, he's stupid as hell and just became drunk with the power and addiction of being connected.

I can forgive him and unlike Glados, he knows he screwed up. That he was monstrous and I believe he did want to make ammends. Not like Glados the crazy bitch who just wanted to get rid of you so she keep doing her maniacal tests, possibly using the two robots since they're not as clever prey as Chell.

Heres to hoping Wheatley returns in the third game along with the player to shut up the AI and take her down a peg once and for all.

Excellent game. Highly recommended, just wish the reversal of roles didn't happen.

KScorp

Dr. Chaos said:
I can forgive him and unlike Glados, he knows he screwed up. That he was monstrous and I believe he did want to make ammends. Not like Glados the crazy bitch who just wanted to get rid of you so she keep doing her maniacal tests, possibly using the two robots since they're not as clever prey as Chell.

I'm pretty sure GLaDOS changes for the better. Otherwise she could of used all those turrets in the Opera and the four right before it to kill you.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
KScorp said:
I'm pretty sure GLaDOS changes for the better. Otherwise she could of used all those turrets in the Opera and the four right before it to kill you.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If the co-op campaign takes place after the single player, she's already found more humans in stasis to force into test subject slaves.

I think Glados is sadistic, she wants her victims to test and die testing, as part of the process in advancing whatever crazed science she can think of. Chell kept winning and outmaneuvering Glados, she could have easily killed Chell at the end but that wouldn't have given her any satisfaction so she washed her hands of Chell and let her go instead of imprisoning her all over again which would likely end up in another failure to best her intellectually.

StuBurns

Banned
Today is the day I finally went back to the game to play more co-op. I'd played the first chapter and some of the second, but it's been a couple of months, got back to it today and got to the last chapter. It's just sublime. It was already my favorite game of the year so far, but this has reenforced my admiration for it. The co-op is awesome, it's either this or L4D for my best co-op experience ever, so either way Valve are dominating.

Incredible. Can't wait for the advanced levels.

EDIT: I just went thru the dev commentary for the co-op stuff, I was glad to hear the highlight for play testers was the same for me, but I'm surprised they detailed it, it's the only puzzle they give the solution for in the three levels you can go thru. If people decide to check out the commentary before they finish it, they're running the risk, but still.

EDIT2: I've finished the co-op, and done some achievement whoring, still have two too go, just top to bottom an incredible game, the co-op was every bit as awesome as I'd hoped.

I got this when it first came out and played until chapter 6 and got bored when the testing chambers were over. Put it on the shelf and went on to other games.

My best friend picked it up and was bugging me about co-op so I put it back in and we went through all 5 levels and had such a blast playing. Tons of teamwork, lots of bitching, some name calling (get out of the doorway fattie!), and I won't lie... 1 youtube video look up but maybe one of the best online co-op experiences we have had together and we play co-op all the time.

After I got the Portal 2 bug back, I figured it was time to finish it off. Not only did I finish single player but then went back and got every single single player achievement and I'm bummed there isn't more.

Now I'm only missing the Professor one, not dying in co-op, saving the cube in co-op and hugging three people which has to be the WORST achievement in the game and whoever thought of it should be ashamed of themselves.

Top Bottom