• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Sibylus

Banned
Finished Edifice, really nice and clever puzzle design there. I came across one issue though, and it unfortunately seems to be game-breaking:

Puzzle: Laser cube, regular cube, many buttons, water below, some gaps

Basically, if you place the regular cube on the button beyond the wall instead of the laser cube, you won't be able to complete the puzzle and you can't undo the error. You need the regular cube just to get back there, so you're locked out and can't zap it to try a new method.

My autosaves were of no help, so I had to turn on noclip so I could get over there and drop the cube into the water. I was then able to complete the puzzle as intended.

Willeth

Botolf said:
Finished Edifice, really nice and clever puzzle design there. I came across one issue though, and it unfortunately seems to be game-breaking:

Puzzle: Laser cube, regular cube, many buttons, water below, some gaps

Basically, if you place the regular cube on the button beyond the wall instead of the laser cube, you won't be able to complete the puzzle and you can't undo the error. You need the regular cube just to get back there, so you're locked out and can't zap it to try a new method.

My autosaves were of no help, so I had to turn on noclip so I could get over there and drop the cube into the water. I was then able to complete the puzzle as intended.
I believe you can order a new laser cube with the button in the S-shaped corridor, which will zap the older one.

Sibylus

Banned
Willeth said:
I believe you can order a new laser cube with the button in the S-shaped corridor, which will zap the older one.
Yes, the problem is there isn't an analogous button for the regular cube. Once placed on the button beyond the wall and your portals are moved, it can't be retrieved or zapped.

jambo

Clipper said:
I played co-op with a mic on my PS3 vs. a PC player who also had a mic. That was really good as I was able to describe trophy moments and so on, as I wanted to go for the Platinum (which I got last week). I agree that you could probably get through the game with just the ping tool if all you are wanting to do is finish the game, but we had some great shared moments over the mics, laughing together at GLaDOS or discussing plot points as we went. Definitely improved the experience.

I did the same thing, but I was on PC and he was on PS3. He was a bit of a drop kick, had to hold his hand through a lot of the chambers.

Willeth

Botolf said:
Yes, the problem is there isn't an analogous button for the regular cube. Once placed on the button beyond the wall and your portals are moved, it can't be retrieved or zapped.
Are you sure? I could have sworn I put both cubes on both sides at some point and it was fine. I'll have to play it again.

Sibylus

Banned
Willeth said:
Are you sure? I could have sworn I put both cubes on both sides at some point and it was fine. I'll have to play it again.
Yup, pretty darn sure.
Only way to fizzle the regular cube that I could see was by dropping it into the water, and to do that I had to physically get over there and grab it. And to do that, I needed the regular cube on one of the two door buttons to begin with. Catch-22.

MNC

So I got the game last tuesday.

I finished it yesterday.

Holy shit.

What a thrillride, the whole game was so superbly done. The writing was topnotch, the puzzles were great, the length was good (I can never have too much portal, I didn't want it to end :( ) and the ending had me COMPLETELY ASTONISHED. HOW DO THEY COME UP WITH THIS STUFF? THAT JUST HAPPENED. Holy shitting fuck. Wow. Just thinking back to it blows my mind.

But the entire atmosphere was so amazing too. If I think back, to the ending part, and back to the prologue/first chapters, you realize the things the player's have been through, as well as
the history of Aperture. Cave Johnson as a quirky CEO, degrading into a sick old man.
I just...... WOW. I can't get enough of this game. I'm addicted. Off to replay the game, play Co-op and make some maps!

Valve are my Gods. I'm declaring it.

JackEtc

big ander said:
Fucking portals.
How do they work?

PFaGb.jpg

farco1212

Neo Member
I'm playing the PS3 version of the game and I think I'm pretty close to the end. Unfortunately the game glitched on me during a save point and I am currently stuck in a door.

Besides restarting the campaign, is there anything that I can do to move forward?

Edit: Nvm.

FerranMG

So, I started playing this game yesterday. Been loving it so far, even though the first challenges are..., well, not very challenging. :p (I'm sure I'm gonna regret saying this once the game starts messing with my mind)

Is there anything worth knowing before starting (getting deepet into) the game? Like missable achievements (no spoilers) or, I don't know, anything at all. :p

I heard, for example, from Major Nelson's podcast, that there were some audio cues one could not hear if not paying much attention, so I'm playing the game with headphones on.

Thanks!

NBtoaster

When are they releasing the rest of the soundtrack :s

Gvaz said:
So how long is this game? I can beat Portal 1 in like...4 hours or something. It's a cute little game I guess.

6-9 hours for the single player.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really loved the game. When it gets going it was immensely enjoyable, but there were many parts that were also somewhat dry and boring, with puzzles that weren't so imaginative, or required pixel-hunting for the right surface. The game would have been better with those parts cut out I think. Ending made up for it all though, pure genius and exhilaration.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
NBtoaster said:
When are they releasing the rest of the soundtrack :s

I'm also wondering about this. I want to have the official
final opera song!

W1SSY

Been playing co-op a little bit more but sadly I had to do it with randoms and quickly realized that playing with randoms was not going to work out. Almost done with co-op and I am finding it a good bit easier in my opinion.

equil

W1SSY said:
Been playing co-op a little bit more but sadly I had to do it with randoms and quickly realized that playing with randoms was not going to work out. Almost done with co-op and I am finding it a good bit easier in my opinion.

I tried playing Co-Op with randoms, but no one ever talks. Its so much more difficult.

Divius

equil said:
I tried playing Co-Op with randoms, but no one ever talks. Its so much more difficult.
I've also played quite a few times with randoms and with no one talking, but I found it to go very smooth using the ehm..pointer thingie at times.

It also largely depends on how portal-smart your partner is, of course.

Finally got this game today.

OMG!

...and a note to all other developers: Please include steam in all your PS3-version games in the future. kthxbye!

W1SSY said:
what system are you playing on? have the same issue if anyone would like to go thru co-op, xbox360 version

Sibylus

Banned
Don't know if it was reported here on Gaf or not, but Gabe Newell mentioned on his Podcast 17 interview last Tuesday that they are more than one DLC packs for Portal 2 in the works. Can't wait to see what the first brings!

Botolf said:
Don't know if it was reported here on Gaf or not, but Gabe Newell mentioned on his Podcast 17 interview last Tuesday that they are more than one DLC packs for Portal 2 in the works. Can't wait to see what the first brings!
I want the first one now. :(

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Just beat the game

I thought it was a little bit to long but, fine overall.

The most satisfying and well done ending in video games i've seen in a long time. Just enough mystery and closure.

great storytelling, great game. Good job Valve.

Lijik

Saty said:
So, the Razer Hydra controller is now available. Comes with Portal 2 + 10 levels exclusive dlc (made by Sixense Studios) and supports 125 pc games.

You can order it from Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901666/

For those outside of US: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901666/?cc=us
Oh shit when he stretched out that cube to make a bridge I was fucking sold.

Now I just need money. Why the fuck did I buy DNF, would have already been a third of the way there.

dLMN8R

Botolf said:
So hopefully Valve will release some details and media on the first DLC at GamesCom, they're confirmed as going.
GamesCom isn't until August, so they'll probably release info on DLC before then. At least, hopefully!

NinjaBoiX

Anyone want a Steam code? Kept my code when I sold it while PSN was down, just rebought it preowned and it has a code in the box. It may already have been used, but if anyone wants to try it, just PM me.

Divius

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Anyone want a Steam code? Kept my code when I sold it while PSN was down, just rebought it preowned and it has a code in the box. It may already have been used, but if anyone wants to try it, just PM me.
I already own Portal II, but I have a friend who would appreciate it.

edit: pm sent

onken

What happened to that whole custom maps on consoles thing? Did that work out in the end or was it just a fever dream?

MNC

onken said:
What happened to that whole custom maps on consoles thing? Did that work out in the end or was it just a fever dream?
I hope they're still working on that. Would be a shame if you can't port them over. And I hope it's not a 'best of!' kind of thing, where valve just releases a patch with custom maps. I want to play my own on the playstation!

man, it's been a while since me and my friend finished the co-op but i really gotta give Valve props for the cross-platform play. this is literally the only game i can play with my friend since he has a Mac and i game on PS3... and the co-op between these two systems worked flawlessly, not a single issue. it was amazing.

really greatful they went crazy with the feature :) now more co-op levels please!

FerranMG

Just finished the single player campaign, and absolutely loved it. Best game I've played in a long while.

Question: is it possible to finish the coop campaign if I control both robots myself?
I mean, like playing split screen, but I'd be playing with two controllers.

Divius

FerranMG said:
JQuestion: is it possible to finish the coop campaign if I control both robots myself?I mean, like playing split screen, but I'd be playing with two controllers.
I think it is, I think I've read of people doing it, but it's more fun with a bro of course.

gdt

FerranMG said:
Just finished the single player campaign, and absolutely loved it. Best game I've played in a long while.

Question: is it possible to finish the coop campaign if I control both robots myself?

I don't think so. There's some twitch puzzles where two players have to move fast together.

onken

FerranMG said:

Why would you want to do that?

Top Bottom