• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

sam27368

Banned
It would appear that we need 120,000 odd running one of those games simultaneously (I'm guessing) to unlock it. Can't be that hard can it?

:EDIT: No that's wrong, since it says challenge status not challenge target.

I think the potato's thing is the total number of potato's collected and I don't think that has anything to do with unlocking it early. It's all about how many people are playing the potato pack games at once.

So it seems as people have been opening each of the games it makes the number of concurrent CPU's go up with you refresh the page and therefore it makes the countdown timer a smaller estimated time frame.

That's what I think it is.

It shits me that it's 'brute power' just like I thought it was rather than being something really tricky that we could work out with our smarts.

I still don't mind this though, it gives us a chance to play early.

(._.)

Banned
ughh this is fucking stupid, sorry. will be in tf2 if anybody needs me. don't give a fuck about playing any of these games to get this to launch early. just give us portal 2 :\

B33

Banned
If you have any of the thirteen games in the "Potato Sack" deal, play them.

It seems that just booting the title up and playing it counts as a "CPU."

sam27368

Banned
(._.) said:
ughh this is fucking stupid, sorry. will be in tf2 if anybody needs me. don't give a fuck about playing any of these games to get this to launch early. just give us portal 2 :\
why would anyone need you?

Also, gave me an excuse to buy Super Meat Boy, although Valves servers are hammered. I usually get 4-5meg download speeds, I'm getting 100kb/s on this. Something's working.

rObit

Banned
Well I don't know what all these numbers mean, but I have Killing Floor. So when I get back from class I'll play Killing Floor and hope that helps.

B33

Banned
j59e7k.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
AWESOME !!! I did not know that click & buy works. I bought the whole potato sack collection. I think 34€ is a pretty good deal. Now it's your turn GAF! ;)

(._.)

Banned
sam27368 said:
why would anyone need you?

Also, gave me an excuse to buy Super Meat Boy, although Valves servers are hammered. I usually get 4-5meg download speeds, I'm getting 100kb/s on this. Something's working.
why wouldn't they?

This is the amazing thing about Steam.

I have a strange urge to help this effort, maybe even buy a game off the list just for this purpose even though I don't really have an interest in any of the indie games I don't already have....and if Portal 2 launches early I don't even benefit as mine is from Amazon.

*tips hat to Valve*

So, playing (running a game) is like getting a point score (just like in a game), and buying the Potato Sack Pack is like adding x1 to you combo, multiplying the total score.

Buying the Pack is obviously the best thing to contribute, but playing any of the games helps too. I am sure buying one of the games as a single item would work too (if anyone wants to spend money like that)

Seems fun.

Sn4ke_911

What is the best game to play from the potato sack games?

Edit: Bar moved again! Holy shit the steam fanbase is unbelievable.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
erhm what's the deal with the challenge status potatocounter? 125 000 ish, what does that number mean?

Sn4ke_911

Keyser Soze said:
Best to fill the bar (I don't think there is one)

Best, Best (Super Meat Boy - if you have a controller)

Thanks, i'll use the 360 controller then.

clav

I mentioned this earlier: Is it just me or does anyone else so a bar discrepancy among The Wonderful End of the World, AAAAAA!!!, Rush, and other games?

I was quite hoping it would release at 5 as I have to go out in an hour, hopefully I can rely on you lot unlocking it by tomorrow ;)

claviertekky said:
I mentioned this earlier: Is it just me or does anyone else so a bar discrepancy among The Wonderful End of the World, AAAAAA!!!, Rush, and other games?
I imagine they are scaled by how many potential users there are for each game

P.S. if anyone has a spare potato game other than SMB, Audiosurf or Bit.Trip and wants to trade for a copy of Portal / HL2 / Ep1 give me a PM!

kswiston

claviertekky said:
I mentioned this earlier: Is it just me or does anyone else so a bar discrepancy between The Wonderful End of the World and the other games?

I am guessing that bars represent total invested time per game, and that the more popular games require more time played to fill.

Killing Floor has the least progress, but the most concurrent players. However, killing floor always has a couple thousand people playing it. Makes sense that they would set the bar higher for that than something like Cogs.

Ponti

claviertekky said:
It seems to be the only one moving. Killing Floor has had 2k+ more CPU's since the start and the bar hasn't even budged.

Sn4ke_911

glaurung

Nice idea and a proper sales boost to all of those games.

But I wish that some of Valve's own games were supported in this reboot gimmick. Why not include at least the first Portal?

None of the indie stuff really tickles my fancy.

...will keep watching the timer though, maybe the world will bring this one home for me.

glaurung said:
But I wish that some of Valve's own games were supported in this reboot gimmick. Why not include at least the first Portal?

None of the indie stuff really tickles my fancy.
So they could drive sales. But yeah it would be nice. I like these indie games but I wouldn't play any of them for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time.

heyf00L

Mmm. I only have Audiosurf, which I've had for years, and I'm kinda done playing it. Amnesia sounds awesome on its own, and The Ball's new Portal stuff looked sweet.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Wait wait. Does the counter goes up by play time or collecting potatoes?

The number of people playing the game at the same time multiplied by the number of ARG potatoes found

If people want to help, try to focus on getting the easy ARG potatoes, and leave all games you own running in the background on you CPU

Very easy way to help, join this group, and it will add one potato to counter
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nelipot?

...although without a large amount of concurrent players even a massive potato combo wont help

Sn4ke_911

heyf00L said:
Mmm. I only have Audiosurf, which I've had for years, and I'm kinda done playing it. Amnesia sounds awesome on its own, and The Ball's new Portal stuff looked sweet.

You don't have to play it. Just start the game and ALT+TAB out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
What is the best game to play from the potato sack games?

Edit: Bar moved again! Holy shit the steam fanbase is unbelievable.

Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, and Defense Grid are the best games in the pack, IMO.

Top Bottom