• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Teknoman

Wait...why is there a Super 8 Teaser? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

I think im going to watch each of those extra videos...and whatever the robot enrichment thing is, before starting the story.

Cipherr

Wow this game is amazing. The
We werent even testing for that
had me rolling. The sarcasm and wit is back in full force. Hilarious.

Teknoman said:
Wait...why is there a Super 8 Teaser? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

I think im going to watch each of those extra videos...and whatever the robot enrichment thing is, before starting the story.

Wait, there's a Super 8 Teaser in Portal 2?

TheExodu5

Banned
Chapter 1 complete. Absolutely, mindblowingly fantastic so far.

Very disappointed with the golden potato reward though...it was the Valve Complete Pack + Portal 2 for free...except I already owned all of that and got nothing. Fun. (yeah, I'll probably be bitter about that for a little while)

stupei

There's a bunch of Portal 2 stuff up on Valve's store. Didn't see that the other day, did it just go up?

Really really tempted to get a print. The only other video game related artwork I have hanging in my apartment is the New Year's poster from Bioshock, but the (early chapter 1 spoiler)
deified depiction of Chell
is very tempting.

ghibli99

Only at 4/19, and am loving this. Won't say anything else, except that Portal fans are in for a treat and a half. My wife and I have had so many laugh-out-loud moments! Bravo, Valve.

The whole GLaDOS talking to you before you start testing again is pure awesome. She is so deliciously evil.

Game is amazing so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When GLaDOS says not to "take anything with you" as the Material Emancipation Grid is down, I assume there's a way to take your Companion Cube with you?

Edit: Test Chamber 7, by the way.

Cipherr

JaseC said:
When GLaDOS says not to "take anything with you" as the Material Emancipation Grid is down, I assume there's a way to take your Companion Cube with you?

Yes I just did that.
I definitely went back for my cube :D

:( I destroyed the bitches camera in the very next room.
Puff Daddy: "Take that, Take that"

JaseC said:

Yes, there is even an achievement for that. The solution is easier than you may think.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu traffic!

I haven't been like this about a game since... Since I'm not even sure... Hah - orange box actually.

I wouldn't be like this if it wasn't for the constant hoping for it to come out all weekend... I think in the end the torturous arg over the weekend just makes finally getting the game even better. Well played valve. Well played.

Edit - OMG all these "its so goods" are killing me... My conscience can't take it and I'm stuck in 20 minutes of stop start traffic.

Edit 2 - fuck it, too the tollway, ill be home 5 minutes sooner.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:
Restart Steam.
I have three times so far, It stalls at either 32% or 12%

I'm no stranger to the midnight rush of stream releases. but COME ON.

Koodo

Banned
THIS THING DOESN'T WANT TO FINISH DECRYPTING.

Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't be playing the game until Wednesday.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jtwo said:
I have three times so far, It stalls at either 32% or 12%

I'm no stranger to the midnight rush of stream releases. but COME ON.

Just be patient.

It will jump from 32% to 65% and complete.

taoofjord

Note: The highlighted spoilers are all from Chapter 1 and the first 10 minutes of Chapter 2

I'm not feeling it so far. The writing feels really forced compared to everything Valve has done in the past. It's clear the nerd love Portal 1 received really got to Valve's head. It's a little obnoxious, actually, with how funny it's trying to be. The voice actor casting is also questionable.
The first guy you hear sounds amateurish while Stephen Merchant, who I've enjoyed in his bit parts in his respective shows, feels SO out of place.
All of his lines feel like they were written by an american who JUST discovered British humor for the first time.

Then there's the frequent load times. They are so frequent that they make me scratch my head. What was Valve thinking with them? Surely it's an engine limitation and not a choice they made because they thought it'd be a good idea?

Speaking of engine stuff, the graphics are ASTOUNDINGLY beautiful but there are parts of the engine that feel extremely outdated. The movement still feels so glide-y, with no head bobbing motion or any feeling of physically inhabiting the world. Then there are little things like
the awkward jumping animation of Chell's character model.

Design-wise, it feels extremely
formulaic so far. That's fine that Valve has a very iconic "language" with how they design their games but in Portal 2 it feels really predictable. (funny dialogue snippet here, gameplay section, more dialogue but you can wait here to keep hearing more banter or proceed through tight corridor for next piece of dialogue). Sure, this is standard for most modern games but so far it feels extra formulaic.

Anyway, my expectations were sky-high so I'm probably being quite unfair. But on the other hand, I think many of my complains are reasonable considering Valve has more money than just about any other game developer out there. I'd have liked to see them really blow me away with Portal 2. Maybe it'll click more with me as I continue through it.

Either way, the game really is GORGEOUS and the puzzles are going to be a hell of a lot of fun to play through.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fucking horrifying:
6512575f7c162a9af7f70f150891e792dde91bcc.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
taoofjord said:
Then there's the frequent load times. They are so frequent that they make me scratch my head. What was Valve thinking with them? Surely it's an engine limitation and not a choice they made because they thought it'd be a good idea?

They are as frequent as they were in Portal 1. But they are so short I couldn't care less.

taoofjord

BY2K said:
They are as frequent as they were in Portal 1. But they are so short I couldn't care less.

More frequent, actually. For example, the game loaded one singular, small test chamber, then loaded the next one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, while it loads I thought you'd all like to get glimpse of ULTIMATE gaming setup.
iERAx.jpg

Beat that, bitches.

JaseC

Cipherr said:
Yes I just did that.
I definitely went back for my cube :D

[whitespace]

:( I destroyed the bitches camera in the very next room.
Puff Daddy: "Take that, Take that"
Backfoggen said:
Yes, there is even an achievement for that. The solution is easier than you may think.

Took me a good five minutes before I figured it out. :p The first "Well, shit, of course that's it!" moment of the many to come, I'm sure.

taoofjord said:
More frequent, actually.

Yeah for me it breaks the immersion a bit. Not too much because the game is good but a dynamic elevator loading animation would feel more coherent while not dropping you out the universe.

Koodo

Banned
I had to quit the game as soon as the title screen popped up because I can't afford distractions right now.

BLUE BALLS. :C

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jtwo said:
Beat that, bitches.

at least you have the pills to help you cope with your situation

Anyways, I'm starting to regret not having this preordered now. I thought I could wait on it, but it sounds awesome. Shit.

Peterthumpa

Holy shit.
And I mean... holy shit.

- Gone are the "Windows-like" menus from all the past Valve games, replaced by an awesome looking UI.

- 360 controller support almost flawless, just incredible. Only minor things like unable to confirm options on menus with it.

- Graphics are pretty much amazing, although it seems that the art direction is the main responsible here. Also, runs butter smooth with everything on max @ 1080p with 4xAA (5870 + i7 920 here).

- Superb voice acting. That little robot (Wheatley) may be my all-time favorite character already.

- Still about graphics, it seems that not everything casts dynamic shadows, in fact, only a selective number of objects do it.

- FOV seems different than Portal 1, strange at first but ok now.

- 5.1 sound seems a bit strange, robot voice can be heard from all speakers regardless of it's position (maybe by design?).

Can't wait to keep playing tomorrow.

so i was the only preorder at the midnight release....the other 60 or so people were for mortal kombat...foolish mortals....

game is everything i wanted in a portal game.....great job valve.

JaseC

Yeah, the shadows not being completely dynamic was a little disappointing as the footage of the game certainly gave that impression. Definitely something that's not going to impact my enjoyment of the game - I'm not Dennis4K.
I kid!

I don't mind the loading sequences in-between chambers as they doesn't don't last more than 2-3 seconds on an SSD.

Top Bottom