• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
iSimon said:
So what's the deal with 32%? Do I just leave it or restart?
Just leave it.
I made the mistake of restarting and it took forever to get back to there. Someone said it will just go from 32 to basically done.

Stitch

Gold Member
awesome game so far. great graphics and performance.
boohoo loading... shit takes 2-3 seconds so quit whining :p

and now i have no idea what to do in test chamber 8 hm...

Cipherr

JaseC said:
Yeah, the shadows not being completely dynamic was a little disappointing as the footage of the game certainly gave that impression. Definitely something that's not going to impact my enjoyment of the game - I'm not Dennis4K.
I kid!

I don't mind the loading sequences in-between chambers as they doesn't last more than 2-3 seconds on an SSD.

Yep I used steammover.exe and put it on my ssd, theres no loading issues. I still see the screen, but extremely briefly.
And man, the light bridge puzzles are goddamn brilliant. Seriously that first one was amazing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Still decrypting...... god this happens EVERY time.
WAIT NOW ITS DOING SOMETHING

DOWNLOADING 96% omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If there's one thing I can say about what I played so far, is that the engine scaling is fucking unreal. It makes my shit graphics card look like its less than a year old.

Besides that. Shaking and crying. Time to sleep for work tomorrow.

Cipherr

Getting late so Im stopping after the second
light bridge room
Ill pick up on it some later in the week. Got a lot to do this week, but its great so far.

AwShucks

Just wanted to say I'm like an hour and a half into the game and loving it. Will come back when finished with both SP and Coop so I don't spoil anything for myself before then

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cipherr said:
Yep I used steammover.exe and put it on my ssd, theres no loading issues. I still see the screen, but extremely briefly.
And man, the light bridge puzzles are goddamn brilliant. Seriously that first one was amazing.

Haha, I can't believe I said, "they doesn't". My mind was elsewhere.

I just completed the first Hard Light Bridge puzzle myself. Sogood.gif.

Peterthumpa

enzo_gt said:
If there's one thing I can say about what I played so far, is that the engine scaling is fucking unreal. It makes my shit graphics card look like its less than a year old.
More an artistic achievement than anything else. The engine itself clearly shows it's limitations from time to time, but these guys at Valve are just... unbelievable, and are capable to make me shout "whoa" using a 7 year old engine even after playing Crysis 2 on my PC with maximum settings.

Also, by the way... such a nice change of pace from bullets and soldiers.

JaseC

felipepl said:
More an artistic achievement than anything else. The engine itself clearly shows it's limitations from time to time, but these guys at Valve are just... unbelievable, and are capable to make me shout "whoa" using a 7 year old engine even after playing Crysis 2 on my PC with maximum settings.

How is engine scaling mostly an artistic achievement?

Spookie

(Semi-early spoiler)

These
new turrets
have some genuinely laugh out loud dialogue. I'm surprised they managed to fit so many one liners in.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
felipepl said:

It's not 7 years old. It's updated constantly.

JaseC said:
Yeah, the shadows not being completely dynamic was a little disappointing as the footage of the game certainly gave that impression. Definitely something that's not going to impact my enjoyment of the game - I'm not Dennis4K.
I kid!
They're not fully dynamic? So far every single one of them I've seen has been dynamic. Hold a cube up to them and it'll blend in.

The game looks absolutely stunning. My machine is 3+ years old and its running the game with everything on its maximum settings at resolution of 1440x900.

Edit: Here are my specs,

DC2D E6750 OC @ 3.3GHz
nVidia 8800GT OC
4GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

The Super 8 interactive trailer is pretty good. I find it odd that a Spielberg produced film gets an interactive trailer from Valve. I wonder if Douglas Church had anything to do with it, since he worked with Spielberg when he was at EA?

mr.beers

How will my set up fare?

AMD 64X2 Dual core 6400+ @ 3.21 Ghz
2 GB ram
ati radeon HD 5500 1GB
Windows XP

I can play magika smoothly if that is comparable.

Edit: Monitor is 1080p

Chap 5 start:
"If the laws of physics do not apply in the future, God help you."
. rofl

mr.beers said:
How will my set up fare?

2 GB ram
ati radeon HD 5500 1GB
Windows XP

You should be just fine with that setup. Runs perfectly on my machine, with a lesser card.

So co-op was running fine and I played with a friend for half an hour then when I went to try single-player just now the game freezes and goes black upon fully loading the first room. Anyone else have this problem?

JaseC

Lasthope106 said:
The game looks absolutely stunning. My machine is 3+ years old and its running the game with everything on its maximum settings at resolution of 1440x900.

I upgraded my system in late 2007 and I'm having no issues running the game at 16x10 with 4xAA and 8xAF. I didn't think my shitty Radeon HD 5750 (replaced the now-dead 2900XT from said upgrade) would be up to the task.

Backfoggen said:
They're not fully dynamic? So far every single one of them I've seen has been dynamic. Hold a cube up to them and it'll blend in.

Are they all cast dynamically, though? They don't seem to be. Then again, it's not like I've actively gone to discover this for myself. :p

An-Det

Game is fantastic so far. The puzzles so far havent been difficult but they've been fun. The writing is great, and the visuals (both graphics and presentation) are awesome. The only thing I was a bit offput by was that when holding items the item is slightly closer to the ground (not exactly in the middle of the screen anymore); a great change, just something I didnt expect. Work tomorrow is going to be torturous, both the wait and me having to be even more careful about spoilers.

I'm early in chapter 4 now.
A room with a light bridge coming from the ceiling and a partly-caged turret across a gap.
Not quite sure how to do this one yet, but cant wait to mess around more with it tomorrow.

Emitan

I'm on Test Chamber #
I think and I've gotten stuck so it's time for bed. And I can't play again until 9PM today :(

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
HNNNNNNNG, I am work at the moment for 7 hours and I want to get back home and play the game :(

Cipherr

mr.beers said:
How will my set up fare?

2 GB ram
ati radeon HD 5500 1GB
Windows XP

Yeah you will be fine Im sure. Im supposed to be getting some sleep :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I was pretty shocked to find that Super 8 trailer. It's been known for awhile that JJ Abrams is a Half-Life fan, I guess they finally collaborated on something.

Anyway, I'm about halfway (I think) through Chapter 4 and the game is kind of fucking amazing. Issues like the frequent loading disappear after you get out of the tutorial stage where you're advancing to the next area every two minutes. I'm not too far into the game and already having to think (solving that puzzle with the three lasers in the small room gave me some satisfaction), I can't fucking wait to continue on.

The voice acting is great. I was actually sad when
GladOS crushed Wheatley, and I'd only met the little bugger ten minutes beforehand. Thankfully he quickly reappeared and has already had some great moments. The bird, that bit where you bounce up and down while he is excitedly chatting away, etc..
I feel GladOS is already more menacing than she ever was in the first game. She has yet to utter a sentence that didn't have some barb or insult aimed at you in it.

And yeah, the game looks and runs great. Like, really fucking great. Valve really did something right with Source.

mr.beers said:
How will my set up fare?

2 GB ram
ati radeon HD 5500 1GB
Windows XP

If you can run l4d2 you'll have next to no problem with this game. I've only noticed one part with some slow down and knocking the AA from x2 to 0 = no more slow down.

512mb 8800gt at 1680-1050 here

KoruptData said:
Its sad knowing this is going to end.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm laughing and smiling non-stop. It hasn't been challenging (yet), but enormously fun. The humour really gets me.

I'm tired, but the only reason I've stopped playing now is so that I don't finish off the game too quickly. It's so stellar. A Valve game through and through.

Emitan

Was I the only one thinking the Super 8 thing was some weird Half-Life prequel? I was so pissed off when I realized it was a glorified movie trailer.

Top Bottom