• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Weenerz

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
The textures really hold the game back for me.

Game feels very, very linear compared to the first too so far.

It's a puzzle game, not a sandbox action game, what do you expect? The first portal played the exact same way.

I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of how at a few points, your progress is dependent on your ability to notice very small patches far in the distant background.

Weenerz

Banned
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of how at a few points, your progress is dependent on your ability to notice very small patches far in the distant background.

Use your zoom, middle mouse button.

For those a little far, around the
escape.

When GladOS lures you to a room with neurotoxins, can you do anything else in there or is just for the achievement "Good Listener"?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*bows*

So far this is basically as perfect as I expected. I cannot express how much I'm enjoying this. Valve just get it.

Also, the story is really funny and great so far.

Feep

Banned
I cannot even BELIEVE what just happened. = D

Chapter 5/Chapter 6 Transition MASSIVE Spoiler (don't FUCKING highlight this if you haven't yet reached Chapter 6):
OMG GLADOS IS A POTATO

Mairu

Have to take a break after playing since it unlocked earlier (at around 9pst?!). This game is so much longer than the first, I'm pretty happy with it.

Sgt.Pepper said:
escape.

When GladOS lures you to a room with neurotoxins, can you do anything else in there or is just for the achievement "Good Listener"?

I don't think so.
I tried, and she just locks you in the room and you die.

Feep said:

Chapter 5/Chapter 6 Transition MASSIVE Spoiler (don't FUCKING highlight this if you haven't yet reached Chapter 6):
OMG GLADOS IS A POTATO

Almost makes the ARG worth it now, lol. This game is great so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't Valve snap up a bunch of talent from Sony's first-party stable such as Naughty Dog? That would explain the competency of the PS3 version.

Sgt.Pepper said:
escape.

Nope. It's just for the achievement/trophy.

Feep said:

OMG GLADOS IS A POTATO
That part made me lose my shit. So amazing.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Played three and a half hours, pretty blown away. Art direction is amazing.

Got stuck though, on chapter six:
I'm in this underground cave, took an elevator up. I see some area to the far left, immediately after exiting the elevator turning that way, but I have no idea what to do after I portal over there.
I'm sure it'll be obvious.

JaseC said:
Didn't Valve snap up a bunch of talent from Sony's first-party stable such as Naughty Dog? That would explain the competency of the PS3 version.

Nope. It's just for the achievement/trophy.
Oh, I see. Maybe I'll give it a try with noclip later.

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING

i just got to the gels and i need sleep

good god, portal 1 really is a prototype compared to this

I'm loving
old time era Aperture, complete with prototype buttons and cubes, with that one sign showing the first version of the portal gun as a giant man-sized backpack with a hose coming out of it.

ups tracking has my copy out for delivery as of 4 am..either they start deliveries 3 hours earlier then i thought or its sitting in a vacant lot at the hub 20 minutes from me

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Played three and a half hours, pretty blown away. Art direction is amazing.

Got stuck though, on chapter six:
I'm in this underground cave, took an elevator up. I see some area to the far left, immediately after exiting the elevator turning that way, but I have no idea what to do after I portal over there.
I'm sure it'll be obvious.

Only highlight if you want to know the solution.

From the elevator, you place an exit portal on the slanted surface above the leftmost door, then go down the stairs a bit until you see an opening into the shaft, drop down and aim the entrance portal at the floor

JaseC

Feep said:

OMG GLADOS IS A POTATO

That scene was amazing. I literally said, "Holy shit, this is awesome."

TheExodu5

Banned
Always-honest said:
looks like it. Color me surprised.

I really wasn't expecting Valve to pull that off. Even with the Steamworks support, I still expected the 360 version to edge it out. This is looking like one of the best 3rd party jobs yet on the PS3. Visually speaking, it's pretty much perfect for a console release (provided framerate is stable and no tearing is present). They went with a pretty nice looking AA implementation by the looks of it: a rarity on the PS3.

JaseC

Just reached Chapter 6. That'll be it for now while I go make some dinner.

I didn't particularly believe Gabe when he said Portal 2 is their best game yet, but god damn, it's looking as though he was right on the money.

Eh5er.jpg

BeeDog

TheExodu5 said:
Better lighting, anti-aliasing, and native resolution on the PS3. That 360 version is definitely not running at 720p.

Lens of Truth is a worthless comparison site, so I would take that H2H article with a massive pinch of salt.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
MegaKungFuRadio said:
Only highlight if you want to know the solution.

From the elevator, you place an exit portal on the slanted surface above the leftmost door, then go down the stairs a bit until you see an opening into the shaft, drop down and aim the entrance portal at the floor

Honestly, I was going to
the door area and trying to hop across those gas chamber things. As you could imagine, it, uh, wasn't going to well.

I feel bad and dumb now lawl.

TheExodu5

Banned
BeeDog said:
Lens of Truth is a worthless comparison site, so I would take that H2H article with a massive pinch of salt.

Eh? I didn't read a thing. Just look at the screenshots. There's no doubt here.

edit: ahahaha from the comments section:

It’s kinda sad that valve would intentionally sabotage the 360 version just to appease the PS3 fanbase but it’s not really surprising considering their statements. Just goes to show the sad state multplat development is when they lead with such bias.

celebi23

So, I'm kinda stuck in
Test chamber 15. I know that I either need to get onto the walkway up above and get the cube but, how do I get past the Turrets surrounding the cube?

stealth edit: OHHHHHH, I think I get it now.
I have to put that energy wall thing through the portal & use that as a shield? Either way, I think I'll figure it out

BeeDog said:
Maybe, but the screens are pretty clear.. Unless they switched them or had the 360 running in 480P, the ps3 version really looks a shitload better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Feep said:

OMG GLADOS IS A POTATO

I literally laughed out loud at
"So, how are you doing? Because I'm a potato."

Bow to based Gabe. Every second so far has been blisss.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God damn it I can't figure out what to do next. I am in the first chamber with the Gamma Gel stuff.

Edit: figured it out, there were two towers that I somehow didn't even notice! Seems my 30ish minute head start is putting me ahead of people to the extent that I can't get any outside help.

Also, I am not far enough to be able to confirm this, this is Wild Speculation and could both be very wrong or major game spoilers if I am right.

I suspect Cave and Galdos are Chell's parents

big_z

someone is selling portal 2 cd keys. if i go to product activation and use it, it cant be used again can it?

im guessing the code he has is from the ps3 version voucher, that can be given away to anyone right?

big_z said:
someone is selling portal 2 cd keys. if i go to product activation and use it, it cant be used again can it?

im guessing the code he has is from the ps3 version voucher, that can be given away to anyone right?
no, you have to link your account from the game before the code will work.

JaseC

Just went into the (Ch. 6)
giant vault whose path was littered with ominous warning signs. What's in there? Is this Lombardi's secret lair in which he hides Episode Three
?

It's seriously time for dinner now. See you again in about 30-40 minutes, Portal 2.

Oh god the (Ch. 5)
defective turrets
are hilarious.

Template. 'Hello'
Response? '...Crap.' *thrown into destruction tube* 'Well, I tried'

Red

Played for four hours straight. I'm guessing I'm around the halfway point or a bit further. Chapter 5 or 6.
Done the long fall and have passed a few chambers now with the repulsion gel.
It's all so damn excellent. My favorite single player Valve campaign. I am having a ton of fun. The writing and acting and progression and delivery of every point is spot on.

After playing Crysis 2 this is like a breath of fresh air.

Adamm

If I buy the PC version today, can i link it with the ps3 version at the end of the week?

EDIT: I know you get both versions when you buy the ps3 one - but I hate waiting

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Test chamber 10 was soooooo sick. God I'm worried I'm gonna play this all in one sitting.

Crunched said:
Played for four hours straight. I'm guessing I'm around the halfway point or a bit further. Chapter 5 or 6.
Done the long fall and have passed a few chambers now with the repulsion gel.
It's all so damn excellent. My favorite single player Valve campaign. I am having a ton of fun. The writing and acting and progression and delivery of every point is spot on.

After playing Crysis 2 this is like a breath of fresh air.

ah right.. still need to play this further.. but i can't really get myself to continue.
I guess deep inside i think it's a bit boring.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
I really like how the interior size of the test chambers seems to be far greater now, I love flying through the air.

I also love the feeling that glados is constantly fixing the whole place up and slowly but surely its beginning 'pristine' again. I'm only up to chapter 5 but they've done it as a sequel perfectly. I also love how they keep teasing you with little bits that seem "off path" and like you're going to get away from the testing.

Top Bottom