• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Jeramii

Banned
i want portal 2... but i'm going to wait for some wicked deal pops up on slickdeals.net

i specifically need two copies so my gf and i can play multiplayer together. so i'm hoping a deal comes up like the one i got on crysis 2 and dragonage 2... i got both of those games for $90 combined, + a free $10 gift card to best buy.

Has anyone with the PS3 version tried the Steam linking yet?

Does it sign you out of the PC steam when you login on the PS3 or is it possible to play both the PC and PS3 version at the same time?

TheExodu5 said:
Better lighting, anti-aliasing, and native resolution on the PS3. That 360 version is definitely not running at 720p.
Can't wait to see what little things DigitalFoundry finds to counterbalance that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only just started playing it, so two micro-impressions

1) Steven Merchant as the voice of the robot in the intro is fantastic. Scripting was great too - felt like he might have been involved in that too - it has his chatty style.

2) your character looks terrible. The first glimpse you get through the first portal, you stand all weird and you run like Scooby Doo - upper body motionless, legs all over the place.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Metalmurphy said:
Has anyone with the PS3 version tried the Steam linking yet?

Does it sign you out of the PC steam when you login on the PS3 or is it possible to play both the PC and PS3 version at the same time?

Can't wait to see what little things DigitalFoundry finds to counterbalance that.

You can't use the same Steam account on two machines. That's always been the case and it's the same for the PS3 and PC.

Because it will be brought up again, you can co-op with your PS3 copy and your redeemed Steam Play copy as long as you're using a different PSN id/Steam account on your PS3 than the one you linked your PC Steam account to when redeeming Portal 2 on the PC.

Metalmurphy said:

I hope it's not as embarrassing as his FFXIII face-off. It was practically a livejournal post.

JaseC said:
You can't use the same Steam account on two machines. That's always been the case and it's the same for the PS3 and PC.

Because it will be brought up again, you can co-op with your PS3 copy and your redeemed Steam Play copy as long as you're using a different PSN id/Steam account on your PS3 than the one you linked your PC Steam account to when redeeming Portal 2 on the PC.
I expected that, but does it sign you off PC steam completly when you launch the game on PS3?

mrklaw said:
2) your character looks terrible. The first glimpse you get through the first portal, you stand all weird and you run like Scooby Doo - upper body motionless, legs all over the place.
This has always been the case with Valve games. They don't really bother to animate the player character to well since you hardly see it. There's also some bit of "ice sliding" i bet.

I'm sure the co-op models got more attention.

JaseC

Metalmurphy said:
I expected that, but does it sign you off PC steam completly when you launch the game on PS3?

Only when you sign into your Steam account. You'll get a message on the PC to the effect of "Your account has been signed in elsewhere" with a log-in box.

The lighting in this game is simply amazing. It's not just the technical aspect, but the lighting design. e.g.
Wheatley lighting the tunnel fairly early on, and the unlocking of the huge sealed chamber/silo where you first get gel
I'm sure I'd be floored if I could crank the shaders up a couple of notches

JaseC said:
Only when you sign into your Steam account. You'll get a message on the PC to the effect of "Your account has been signed in elsewhere" with a log-in box.
Oh, so it's a manual sign in on the PS3?

Good, didn't want my PC steam to log off every time I put the disc on the PS3.

Adamm

How do the trophies/achievements sync from PC to PS3?

When you start up portal on PS3 will you suddenly get a load of trophies that you had earned while playing on your PC?

meppi

Woohoo, my 2 PS3 copies have just shipped from TheHut!

All that's left to do is hope that it arrives by Friday and not in 10-15 days. :-/

Adamm said:
How do the trophies/achievements sync from PC to PS3?

When you start up portal on PS3 will you suddenly get a load of trophies that you had earned while playing on your PC?

No. It only works the other way around. PS3 trophies will unlock steam achievements, but steam achievements earned on the PC will NOT unlock trophies.

meppi said:
Woohoo, my 2 PS3 copies have just shipped from TheHut!

All that's left to do is hope that it arrives by Friday and not in 10-15 days. :-/
I've bought alot of games from them for the amazing prices, but TheHut is by far the retailer that takes longer to arrive for some reason. Usually 10 days instead of just 3-4

Red

ant1532 said:
excuse me but is this available for macs right now on steam? :O
Yes. Played for four hours on my Mac tonight. Feels good man.

Ran into a single glitch, where for some reason during a zoom instead of just zooming the camera, the screen seemed to actually crop the space I was looking at, sort of a digital instead of an optical zoom. And I couldn't get it to go away. I kept hitting Z and M3 but the screen kept cropping off more and more until all I could see was a huge crosshair.

When I exited the game the effect remained (my mouse pointer took up the whole screen), and I needed to log off and then back on to revert to normal. Pain in the ass but I'm hoping it's an isolated incident.

JaseC

Metalmurphy said:
Oh, so it's a manual sign in on the PS3?

Good, didn't want my PC steam to log off every time I put the disc on the PS3.

You may be able to set it to auto-sign in, but it won't be set to that by default.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have to work for 4 more hours before going home to play, feeling pretty smart about using logmein to start the game from work to deal with that encryption thing. Suck it 32 percent, take as long as ya want!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
God fucking damn this game is good.
Played until chamber 17 in one sitting. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to finish it off/play more.

Seemed a bit on the easy side so far, which is a good thing I never had to spend more than 30 seconds looking around to figure out the solution. And yes, my pimp rig handles the game like butter.

Valve should be very proud of this game, without a doubt one of the finest games I've ever played.

Just woke up from sleep, played yesterday only 15 minutes (chapter 1) and it was fantastic. The menu music was godly.
Also the spanish dub has been so far really great. (LFD2 had a great dub, Portal 1 only had GlaDOS and its was normal, HL2 and the episodes had a TERRIBLE spanish dub).
The spanish guy who does Stephen Merchant's voice is very good, and the first instructions voice a think is the voice (in robot mode) of Alfonso Valles (spanish voice of Solid Snake, Al Bundy...) so thats awesome (he was used also as coach in LFD2).

Good thing is im going to beat it first in spanish and then in english, I still want to hear Stephen Merchant's voice in my next walkthrough.

Going in the game again!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
God, just completely flabbergasted at how good this game is. The pacing, the writing, the puzzles, the environments, there was never a dull moment or a "hey its just a game" just homerun after homerun.

that's valve for ya' though, I guess.

So I'll try asking again, towards the ends of Chapter 2 and early 3,
are there tests where Glados doesn't say anything after you beat it?

She mentions being going for a while to, in one instance "go to the surface".

It was so quiet I was worried my copy is busted.

HALP!!

Ronok

I've played about an hour of the game so far before having to force myself to stop. It's been really good so far. :D I haven't enjoyed a game this much in such a long time! :)

PNstyle said:
Somebody got the game (PS3 version) earlier in europe? Can't wait 2 more days, just want to go out and buy the game NOW!
A lot of german videogames shop got their copies yesterday or today. Some MediaMarkt stores are selling Portal 2 right now. I'm going to my local distributor today, and get my Xbox 360 version of the game.

JaseC

The art direction in this game is downright brilliant. I love the look of the
yesteryear Aperture Science labs

davonaytor said:
Just finished it. Absolutely fantastic game, tops the Original easily.

I wonder when the spoiler thread will be up since I'm noticing a lot of people finishing already too, what a bunch of nightly soldiers we are :D

Double point five dipping on the PS3 version nonetheless Thursday, because Valve deserves twice my money....

Guys, i need help desperately. I'm stuck on chapter 6 at the part when
Cave Johnson starts speaking a lift thats not working and a huge Aperture Science sign.
Please help :(.

Okay, I'll put it another way, was there EVER any instance where
once SHE started testing you, that Glados didn't say anything after you beat a test as you walked to the elevator?

EVIL said:
is there going to be an official OST? anyone knows?

I'm guessing not since we never got "official" Half Life/Orange Box releases AFAIK. Maybe Portal 1 had one but you could just copy the same tracks from the folders.

Salsa

8 am

chapter 8

been playing since 2 am

gonna hit the bed for at least two hours cause my brain isnt thinking quite right

two words: holy (fuckin) shit

Blew any kind of expectation i had right out of the water, it is better than what anyone could have espected, let me tell you that.

that is all.

edit: Also, at first i had lots of hats and stuff to put in my co-op bots, but now i only have the potato tf2 hat, is this normal and was it a glitch at first ?

Hylian7

I've never been able to access my robot hats. I always get the "No connection to Steam" error. I've tried restarting Steam. Is anyone else always getting this?

Crunched said:
Yes. Played for four hours on my Mac tonight. Feels good man.

Ran into a single glitch, where for some reason during a zoom instead of just zooming the camera, the screen seemed to actually crop the space I was looking at, sort of a digital instead of an optical zoom. And I couldn't get it to go away. I kept hitting Z and M3 but the screen kept cropping off more and more until all I could see was a huge crosshair.

When I exited the game the effect remained (my mouse pointer took up the whole screen), and I needed to log off and then back on to revert to normal. Pain in the ass but I'm hoping it's an isolated incident.
WELL! You see, that's actually an OS thing. I forgot the command to do it, but you can zoom in using some button (i'm gonna assume it's command or control, or a combination of the two) and the scroll wheel.

So yes, isolated incident (or at least if I'm thinking of your problem correctly).

Hypertrooper said:
A lot of german videogames shop got their copies yesterday or today. Some MediaMarkt stores are selling Portal 2 right now. I'm going to my local distributor today, and get my Xbox 360 version of the game.
Nice im going to call my local Saturn store and ask if the are selling it already

nofi

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
Guys, i need help desperately. I'm stuck on chapter 6 at the part when
Cave Johnson starts speaking a lift thats not working and a huge Aperture Science sign.
Please help :(.

That bit stumped me for a while too. I think, if I remember correctly, you need to
propel yourself downwards and through the sign towards a door.

Might be the wrong bit though.

Divius

I'm stuck, and have been for a while. Looking for help!

Chapter 7:
It's in some kind of sphere and there's 1 pipe pumping out white gel, and the exit is on the top right (when you start the chamber) I'm just putting the white gel everywhere, but have no idea what to do.

edit: This is a screenshot of the room in question: Not very spoilery, but still. CHAPTER 7 SCREENSHOT/SPOILER ALERT: click

edit:The game is amazing btw, and I havent even touched the co-op yet!

Red

Stabby McSter said:
WELL! You see, that's actually an OS thing. I forgot the command to do it, but you can zoom in using some button (i'm gonna assume it's command or control, or a combination of the two) and the scroll wheel.

So yes, isolated incident (or at least if I'm thinking of your problem correctly).
That's what I thought as well, but I didn't hit anything except the middle mouse button to zoom so I wasn't sure.

Divius

BenjaminBirdie said:
So I'll try asking again, towards the ends of Chapter 2 and early 3,
are there tests where Glados doesn't say anything after you beat it?

She mentions being going for a while to, in one instance "go to the surface".

It was so quiet I was worried my copy is busted.

HALP!!
This is supposed to happen.

Burger

Portal one was a french fry to Portal 2's potato salad.

Game is off the charts. Take as long as you want with EP3 Valve, I have faith.

Doopliss

&Divius said:
I'm stuck, and have been for a while. Looking for help!

Chapter 7:
Chamber 1986. It's in some kind of sphere and there's 1 pipe pumping out white gel, and the exit is on the top right (when you start the chamber) I'm just putting the white gel everywhere, but have no idea what to do.

The game is amazing btw, and I havent even touched the co-op yet!
Hope I'm thinking of the right area...

Hint 1:
You need to get up high, so find a way to get the paint high up the walls. There's only one way.
Hint 2:
Use the two tall columns next to each other.
Solution:
Get paint on the side of one facing the other, put a portal on that and it'll shoot paint higher up on the other one. Put another portal there... repeat till you have a portal at the top.

The rest should be obvious from there.

Top Bottom