• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Kritz

Banned
Just finished it. Sat down at 4:30 and didn't stop playing (it's now 10:00).

FANTASTIC GAME.

Absolutely hilarious.

So many great parts.

ENDING SPOILER DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF NOT ENDED:
OH MY GOD YOU SHOOT A PORTAL ONTO THE MOON

I will try and post like, actual descriptions tomorrow. I'm tired.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just reached
Wheatley's second test chamber
. 7hrs so far, but knock off about an hour due to the alt-tabbing. Brilliant, brilliant game, not that I expected anything less from Valve.

celebi23 said:
Ok, where do I go from here?
hxxp://steamcommunity.com/id/celebi23/screenshot/576668995739729494 I'm not sure how to get into the Condemned Testing Area. I've tried placing portals up high & haven't had any luck.

To your left are 2 or 3 locked/unusable doors forming part of a large wall or some such, right? Look to the upper left of that.

Metalmurphy said:
That's a joke site right?

Right?

I honestly couldn't tell at first but it had to be looking at it for a while longer... :D

They even have a "Please pray for Japanese nuclear reactors to meltdown..." topic. smh

why do you guys wanna finish the game so quickly? since portal 2 is so good, you already reach the maximum level of fun per hour one can have, so if you play it for 18 hours instead of 6, you can have three times as much fun!

Kritz

Banned
Willy105 said:
What the heck, Kritz. The game came out today.

I didn't want to be spoiled.

It's a testament to Valve that normally, I don't go past the 3 hour mark in most games, yet I finish Portal 2 in a single (... seven hour) sitting

Facism

Metalmurphy said:
Never thought I'd see the day this would happen

4HxDY.jpg

is that Label in the middle :D

JaseC

Kritz said:
I didn't want to be spoiled.

It's a testament to Valve that normally, I don't go past the 3 hour mark in most games, yet I finish Portal 2 in a single (... seven hour) sitting

4:30 -> 10:00 isn't even 6.

celebi23

JaseC said:
Just reached
Wheatley's second test chamber
. 7hrs so far, but knock off about an hour due to the alt-tabbing. Brilliant, brilliant game, not that I expected anything less from Valve.

To your left are 2 or 3 locked/unusable doors forming part of a large wall or some such, right? Look to the upper left of that.
Damn, that's the one spot I didn't try placing a portal. Thanks!

Hey guys!

When little green dots, along with purple / green discoloration, texture errors, and random geometry appears on my screen, that pretty much means my GTX 460 is kaput, right? Just in time!

JaseC

celebi23 said:
Damn, that's the one spot I didn't try placing a portal. Thanks!

No worries. Enjoy
yesteryear Aperture Science
!

Zzoram said:
playtime varies with brain power

Well, obviously, but he said he began at 4:30 and finished at 10:00.

Mango Positive said:
Hey guys!

When little green dots, along with purple / green discoloration, texture errors, and random geometry appears on my screen, that pretty much means my GTX 460 is kaput, right? Just in time!
Probably yeah. You might want to try switching up drivers or ports or something. But chances are your card fried it self.

Lostconfused said:
Probably yeah. You might want to try switching up drivers or ports or something. But chances are your card fried it self.

I tried all of that. I will RMA the thing, get a GTX 560, then sell the refurbished 460.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twilight Princess said:
ok, what's wrong with her eyes??? >_> is it cause she's a fatty adopted no parent fatty fatty?
I was really expecting her parents to be revealed in the game. Oh well.

I wonder what the second surprise was going to be, assuming it wasn't death.

Mango Positive said:
I tried all of that. I will RMA the thing, get a GTX 560, then sell the refurbished 460.
hrc269.jpg

Godspeed soldier

I got a 470 when my 280 fried it self. I even RMAed the card but it managed to burn it self out again in less than a week

Just completed the single player and it was amazing.

Took me
around seven hours
to complete.

Edit: Also where is my preorder roll cage?

When I first has a look at the thingy whatsit called outfitting thingy it unlocked like 30 or so. Now they are all gone. Was I supposed to have them or not?

careksims

It's 5:35am and I have to sleep LOL! been playing non-stop. SOOOO GOOOOD! Laughed a lot and happy to not use any guides. Almost at the end, but that will wait for later today.

The lightning is crazy!

TheBez

Drkirby said:
I was really expecting her parents to be revealed in the game. Oh well.

I wonder what the second surprise was going to be, assuming it wasn't death.
When the
first surprise
chapter came up I was at the edge of my seat waiting for
Some sort of Half-Life character to appear

UnluckyKate said:
Amazed by how the game looks and run on my 2009 Macbook Pro in comparaison to TF2 or even the first Portal.

Like uhm, better than the mentioned ones? :O

Tell me more, I'd like to by the Mac version but I'm afraid it might run as shitty as L4D.

On another note: Does the 360 version have local coop? If so, has anyone tried it so far?

Kritz

Banned
After all this puzzle solving, simple maths isn't exactly a thing my brain feels it can do.

Um, here's some kind of impressions without spoilers (this is a lie, anything with spoiler tags is a spoiler):

The music was brilliant
even though the end song wasn't that great, but the part before it was
, and I loved how dynamic it was, especially when you were
running super fast on the red goo
. Oh, and ESPECIALLY when
you go into the rat lairs early on in the game.

The puzzles themselves were brilliant, although they didn't really get complicated until
Wesley takes over the place... and steals GLADOS's designs
. I felt the
Cave Johnson and retro-Aperture Science areas were visually and thematically amazing, although I did get bored of the goo puzzles by the end

The dialogue and visual humour were fantastic, and this is one of the funniest games I've ever played. Especially Wesley's lines, which were fantastic throughout.

Plot wise,
I felt the game could have used an Episode 3 tie in of some kind. Apart from that, the GLADOS realisation, and the backstory stuff with the Cave Johnson recordings were all great. The Wesley takeover arc were great, and I have such a soft spot for redemptive stories and how GLADOS and you related in the end half of the game.

Oh,
and you shoot a portal onto the fucking moon

Summary: this is a very good game and I liked a lot of it and you should go play it.

Tomorrow I will try and do the coop campaign once AusGAF finish playing SP.

Veelk

Banned
Hey, my portal 2 download just randomly got suspended at 98%. What gives?

Nevermind. Had to restart my comp, but it's working now.

I'm just up to chapter 3 how far in am I?

This is already my GOTY and it will take something mindblowingly awesome to change that. The puzzles are great, logical and entertaining. The story is much stronger than the first game and full of in jokes and references. The humour is more frequent and funnier, if a lot darker.

It just feels really, really satisfying to play. Only complaint would be the loading screens between puzzles which break the game up a bit (even though they only last around 5-7 seconds each), the first game felt more streamlined.

Anyway back to it...

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Appollowexx said:
I'm just up to chapter 3 how far in am I?

This is already my GOTY and it will take something mindblowingly awesome to change that. The puzzles are great, logical and entertaining. The story is much stronger than the first game and full of in jokes and references. The humour is more frequent and funnier, if a lot darker.

It just feels really, really satisfying to play. Only complaint would be the loading screens between puzzles which break the game up a bit (even though they only last around 5-7 seconds each), the first game felt more streamlined.

Anyway back to it...
That's how I feel.

Incredibly satisfying and fun to play and keep playing, I love it and I dont want it to end!

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Kritz said:
re: chapters
there are
################ nine #############
chapters in the game.
my reaction to the number of chapters in the fame
Nine!?!?! Is that true? Fuck I'm almost done... Finish in one night :( I want to keep going but I cant stop.

At least there is co-op to enjoy as well I guess!

Post chamber 22 spoilers:

God fucking damnit. Ever since leaving the test chambers I've been pulling my hair out in frustration. The game is super selective about where it will let you drop portals, and it's often not even remotely clear which direction it's wanting me to head. I spent 20+ minutes in the room where Cave first mentions his secretary (the room with the big logo etc). Then I got stuck in the one with the elevator because I didn't notice the gap to drop down the shaft the first time I went down the stair case.

Currently stuck on the repulsion gel one where cave mentions time travel and destroying time etc. Every time I manage to bounce off the wall, I fall *just* short of the platform near the top I have to get to. If I try to gain momentum through portals, I always end up flying off the side and dying.

Kritz said:
re: chapters
there are
################ nine #############
chapters in the game.

Damn it's pretty long. Which is good for me as I'm still fairly early on then. Played 81 mins total according to Steam.

jiggles

Banned
So, does anyone know if you're able to gift the free copy that comes with the PS3 version if you're an impatient idiot who can't wait three fucking days because of all these awesome reviews and impressions?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got through chapter five last night, the light bridges are easily m y favorite new puzzle element, and that final cutscene was incredible. I'm wondering what will happen next.

celebi23

JaseC said:
No worries. Enjoy
yesteryear Aperture Science
!

Well, obviously, but he said he began at 4:30 and finished at 10:00.

So yeah, I'm in the
yesteryear Aperture Science main chamber thing. I'm trying to get to the entrance. I know that I need to put a portal on the white area up high on the back wall but, how high? Every time I try I'm either too high or too low. Can't seem to find the sweet spot. Do I have to go through the Aperature logo to get to the entrance?

hxcmuziq

Banned
I think those of you here looking for help to solve puzzles need to remember what makes Chell special...

ikCax2.PNG

Taking the time and having the patience to solve the game on your own is so much more rewarding.

Kud Dukan

dark10x said:
Mark my words, 2011 is going to be go down as the single greatest year this generation has seen yet.

Yep...this year is going to be absolutely INSANE.

Only got to play about 25 minutes this morning before I left for work, but from what I've played so far: amazing. The writing is as witty as ever, and the game looks beautiful. Can't wait to get home tonight and play some more, as I know I've only scratched the surface.

commissar

Finished the singleplayer. Great stuff, though I think Portal is better. Can't wait to get into co-op :D

Spoilers:
the ending was kinda sad, as I was hoping for the further adventures of Chell and GlaDOS in a few years time. Unless the fact that it was CG is in itself indicative of a dream sequence or non-real construct from GlaDOS, but I suspect not :/ I'll choose to read it that way and keep the dream alive.

As an aside the loading screens are really really lame.
Previous Valve games had it perfect with the small text mid game, as it all keeps flowing despite the pause. A black screen with logo however just breaks up the experience and disrupts the flow of a continuous place. Disappointing that. Sweet game though.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Post chamber 22 spoilers:

God fucking damnit. Ever since leaving the test chambers I've been pulling my hair out in frustration. The game is super selective about where it will let you drop portals, and it's often not even remotely clear which direction it's wanting me to head. I spent 20+ minutes in the room where Cave first mentions his secretary (the room with the big logo etc). Then I got stuck in the one with the elevator because I didn't notice the gap to drop down the shaft the first time I went down the stair case.

Currently stuck on the repulsion gel one where cave mentions time travel and destroying time etc. Every time I manage to bounce off the wall, I fall *just* short of the platform near the top I have to get to. If I try to gain momentum through portals, I always end up flying off the side and dying.
I love that shit - those are the parts I like the best... Really makes you think.

Wait until you get
the gels very soon, they are so awesome

Casp0r

Banned
hxcmuziq said:
I think those of you here looking for help to solve puzzles need to remember what makes Chell special...

ikCax2.PNG

Taking the time and having the patience to solve the game on your own is so much more rewarding.

Yeah what the fuck at all the people coming in here for help with the puzzles ... go play fucking call of corridor and stop wasting posts in this thread.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hope there are some more maps for the game at a later date (Or maybe Co Op will fill my itch), there were a lot of cool concepts that could use more fleshing out.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheExodu5 said:
How was the first game not entirely linear?

And you seem to be implying that linearity is a bad thing. Why?
I don't mean in linear in the sense that you play the levels in a row, but more than the room to experiment with Portals in the room is severely limited in a way that creates far fewer solutions for puzzles. Not a bad thing because it locks out cheesing puzzles like you used to be able to, but it does feel more rigid in how you can go about what you want to do.

Interfectum

dark10x said:
Mark my words, 2011 is going to be go down as the single greatest year this generation has seen yet.

Seriously, between Dead Space 2, Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 I'm in gaming heaven right now.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Appollowexx said:

Put the game on a SSD and watch the load screens fly by.

Kritz

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I don't mean in linear in the sense that you play the levels in a row, but more than the room to experiment with Portals in the room is severely limited in a way that creates far fewer solutions for puzzles. Not a bad thing because it locks out cheesing puzzles like you used to be able to, but it does feel more rigid in how you can go about what you want to do.

You can never couch jump over a railing.

I did feel that, freedom wise, there was a single solution / path for everything. But I didn't really mind that much. I never really had any stupid deaths, even ones I tried to do onto myself, simply because the game said "no you shouldn't try to be in this place where this thing might squish you into the wall", or "no you probably don't want to jump off this thing and fall into a thing of death".

I just looked at the achievement list, and there's some funny things I didn't think of trying out that I'll do when listening to dev commentary. Should be fun.

Top Bottom