• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

TheBez

Was anyone else dissapointed that
there was no old timey portal gun? I mean you saw the cool old boxes and switches. It would have been cool to see what the old gun looked like.

Zomba13

sykoex said:
If we don't get official challenge rooms from Valve I really hope the mod community will come up with some awesome stuff incorporating the gels and stuff.
What we need is more Co-op stuff. It's not as fun through the second time with a new partner as you know how to solve every puzzle.

Finally downloaded. Running well on my macbook pro - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz, 4gb 1067 MHz DDR3, GeForce 9400M.

I've noticed an option to connect a 360 controller, i'm struggling with the trackpad until i get home but i do have a spare ps3 controller - anyone know how i can make it work? Any info would be massively appreciated.

Ferrio

Banned
Jenga said:
man they really made a lot of things make sense

like giving a reason why Aperture always trusted Gladdos. Because she's the AI construct of the old nice boss's secretary. Who seems to have been rather dumb. Why wouldn't they trust her? It feels like she was corrupted by her body more than anything.

also cave HAS to be an AI on the borealis. if they made an AI construct of his damned secretary, you'd think they would make one of him. If the Borealis is so important I think he's either there in cryo storage or languishing around in an AI running the show. Either way, he's too good of a character to say goodbye to

No i'm pretty sure he's gone. Valve laid it out pretty clear in the dialogue that if he died before they could do it she'd be the one to take over the facility instead. People like me hoping for some big portal/hl3 interaction were too offbase... it isn't going to happen

Tawpgun

Overall campaign observation

I was kind of disappointed there weren't many reflex heavy, momentum flying through the air type puzzles. Are those in co-op?

Rlan

So I'm at
Chapter 8, I think? I'm back to Wheaty now. Finished his "dumb puzzle"
How many chapters are there?

I'm really happy that the game plays smooth as silk on my computer, running at 1050p with 4XSAA or whatever. My computer is years old now.

Yeef

Ad Infinitum said:
I've noticed an option to connect a 360 controller, i'm struggling with the trackpad until i get home but i do have a spare ps3 controller - anyone know how i can make it work? Any info would be massively appreciated.
http://www.motioninjoy.com/

PC drivers for the DualShock 3 that allows it to emulate a 360 controller. Set that up and Portal should automatically recognize everything.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, I beat the single-player and I'm wondering if I just missed something, or my memory is going.
Were there really no air vent/suction parts? I remember this stuff all over the trailers.

mid game spoilers
TheBez said:
there was no old timey portal gun? I mean you saw the cool old boxes and switches. It would have been cool to see what the old gun looked like.
There is a warning sign showing a silhouette of one. It had a hose attached to a giant backpack.

Jenga

Banned
Ferrio said:
No i'm pretty sure he's gone. Valve laid it out pretty clear in the dialogue that if he died before they could do it she'd be the one to take over the facility instead. People like me hoping for some big portal/hl3 interaction were too offbase... it isn't going to happen
well the thing is...

I'm basing this on
the ad campaigns so spare me. They were all copyright 1998. It's the only reason why I think Cave lived longer than the 80's. I don't know, I mean why else would they make such a little detail? If I'm not being too silly, then not only was Cave around in 1998, he didn't sound sick. yes I know this sounds very, very reaching, but otherwise why would valve make such a detail?

Ferrio

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
So, I beat the single-player and I'm wondering if I just missed something, or my memory is going.
Were there really no air vent/suction parts? I remember this stuff all over the trailers.

Brief part toward the end of the gel sections where you suck all the white gel all over the intake pipes You kinda float around weird in that area... freaked me out at first

Lostconfused said:
You can pretend its that way if it makes you feel better. But it doesn't add anything to the plot or the story.

Nah I'm not pretending anything, it's Valve's story not mine. Just one of those times when I think they told too much of the story, had they left that ambiguous it would have been much better IMHO.

I ain't mad, game is still incredible.

edit:
Jenga said:
well the thing is...

I'm basing this on
the ad campaigns so spare me. They were all copyright 1998. It's the only reason why I think Cave lived longer than the 80's. I don't know, I mean why else would they make such a little detail? If I'm not being too silly, then not only was Cave around in 1998, he didn't sound sick. yes I know this sounds very, very reaching, but otherwise why would valve make such a detail?

I hope he comes back too, maybe as recordings on board the Borealis. J.K.Simmons was perfect for that role.

Jenga

Banned
Lostconfused said:
mid game spoilers

There is a warning sign showing a silhouette of one. It had a hose attached to a giant backpack.
wait a sec, doesn't that remind you of
that backpack gun from HL1? You got it around the reactor level and it shot a beam and shit. MAYBE it's a little throwback to the idea that Black Mesa rips off everything from Aperture? I don't know, I need to see the silhouette again

yessss

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090802171155/half-life/en/images/a/a1/Gluon_w.jpg

Loved it. Much shorter than I expected, but I only expected that because I was led to believe this would be significantly lengthier than Portal, and I was done after
5 hours
including about an hour total spent hunting pixels in mid puzzle traversal. Still, no complaints here because I was actually dreading a super long sequel because one of the things I loved about Portal was its brevity and high saturation of quality as opposed to high quantities of crap.

Ark

Jenga said:
also cave HAS to be an AI on the borealis. if they made an AI construct of his damned secretary, you'd think they would make one of him. If the Borealis is so important I think he's either there in cryo storage or languishing around in an AI running the show. Either way, he's too good of a character to say goodbye to

This actually makes perfect sense. Cave oversaw all the projects in Aperture, so surely his AI must be the 'ultimate' AI? Provided he was actually put into an AI. Speculation ftw.

Palmer_v1

A27 Tawpgun said:
Overall campaign observation

I was kind of disappointed there weren't many reflex heavy, momentum flying through the air type puzzles. Are those in co-op?

Same. There were very few moments when reaction speed mattered. Not sure about co-op yet.

Palmer_v1 said:
Same. There were very few moments when reaction speed mattered. Not sure about co-op yet.

I'm OK with it. I'm not the greatest twitch gamer, so those probably would have ended up much more frustrating than satisfying. Also, default mouse speed is SO slow, you get the early impression that the game is not about speed at any point other than the obvious ones.

Ferrio

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:

I'm actually glad they did it. We got plenty of that in the first portal, so I was glad they didn't rely a lot on old tricks. If valve is smart they'll have plenty of this in map packs for the coop portion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Palmer_v1 said:
They have to compensate for controllers. I'm pretty sure that's why they said they moved away from it in a recent interview.

Zzoram

There was really only 1 level in Portal 1 I can remember where reaction speed mattered. It required chaining a bunch of portal jumps or something to get to the top of some acid pit room.

I'm glad reaction speed isn't a huge deal. It's pretty disorienting to go through a lot of portals in a row, and if you had to be super fast through a dozen portals it would take a ridiculous amount of trial and error to master.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
TheBez said:
It would have been kinda cool if when going to old aperture, you got separated from the portal gun and ended up finding a vintage one down there. And maybe make an "advanced" version of the portal gun acquisition level from Portal 1.

Zzoram said:
There was really only 1 level in Portal 1 I can remember where reaction speed mattered. It required chaining a bunch of portal jumps or something to get to the top of some acid pit room.
Nope you can take all the time in the world to do that one. You just need good reaction time to get through it quickly.

sykoex said:
And maybe make an "advanced" version of the portal gun acquisition level from Portal 1.
They repeated a lot of tests from Portal as it is, I am glad there weren't any more

samoset

There are quite a few levels I remember Valve showing off at trade shows like E3 that didn't make it into the game. The one I'm mainly thinking of is with using the speed gel to get past 10 or so crushing plates as they formed a wall of death. I hope some will make a return in dlc with developer commentary explaining why they were cut. Could be a really cool director's cut feature.

I'm curious about the history of Aperture.

Cave made his money in shower curtains before moving into science, it started well, employing brilliant physical specimens to work on the tests. But the money dried up and he ended up using homeless people. How did Aperture go from nearly being bankrupt to having enough money to create the AIs and robots? They got in trouble for basically shitting on human rights, and because of this Black Mesa was getting all the government contracts. As far as we know the portal device never made it out of the testing stage, despite being decades ahead of anything Black Mesa had come up with. Black Mesa didn't figure out teleportation until the late 90s and even then had to use Xen as a slingshot, Aperture figured it out wayyyyy before and in a much more convenient manner, albeit without the vast distances that Black Mesa version could achieve (unless in the target is visible the portal gun is useless). Also before GlaDOS killed most of the staff, it looked like they were getting close to converting to a mostly robot work force / test subject system anyway. Where'd the money come from?

So basically where did the money come from in the 90s that allowed the creation of the AIs and new testing facilities?

Zzoram said:
Portal 1 takes place sometime after Half-Life 1, when the portal storms hit and the Combine used them to invade Earth. You are in an isolated secret laboratory of Aperture Science, the competing lab to Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 lab where Gordon Freeman works) for the military contract for teleportation technology.

At the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, you intercept a message from the Combine that details the co-ordinates of the Borealis, an Aperture Science research freighter with some form of portal technology on it that's more advanced than what Black Mesa created. Presumably Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be about beating the combine to the Borealis to claim the portal technology, possibly the portal gun. Figuring out how to make the portal gun work in a first person shooter with enemy AI that moves is probably why Valve has delayed making Episode 3 for so long. They need to not only figure out how to make it work, but wait until the average gaming PC can handle the physics of it.

The whole Half-Life/Portal timeline is laid out here:

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

The events of Portal 2 have not been added to it yet.
I really don't see that being the case, particularly because Episode 2 ended with Eli Vance telling the player to destroy the ship no matter the cost.

Jenga

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
actually I thought it went like
Aperture Shower Curtains was a pre-existing company before Cave. then he joined, was a brilliant salesman, rose his way to the top until he took over and converted the entire thing into a science company

Sober

Zzoram said:

I'm glad reaction speed isn't a huge deal. It's pretty disorienting to go through a lot of portals in a row, and if you had to be super fast through a dozen portals it would take a ridiculous amount of trial and error to master.
Portal was never really about super quick reactions anyway. You could pull it off if you wanted but it's a puzzle game at it's core, so it's nice to be able to take your time with it.

Plus, if anyone ever tried that map pack from the people that did the portal flash game ... that was extremely twitch-based and you could end up dying something pretty much anywhere. Got fed up with that.

Playing the game everything cranked up to the max. Looks really nice for a source game. Engine is evolving well. The Atlas and P-Body animate so well.

I'm about over half way through single and just finished 3 in multiplayer. Think I have a grasp on how the two campaigns are linked.

As far as gameplay and storytelling goes, the game is a masterpiece. The game is the perfect story based puzzler. I havent been stuck but constantly challenged. I learn the outcome to puzzles through play rather than being told what do.

Certainly one of the best games I've played in years.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
MrPing1000 said:

Cave made his money in shower curtains before moving into science, it started well, employing brilliant physical specimens to work on the tests. But the money dried up and he ended up using homeless people. How did Aperture go from nearly being bankrupt to having enough money to create the AIs and robpts? They got in trouble for basically shitting on human rights, and because of this Black Mesa was getting all the government contracts. As far as we know the portal device never made it out of the testing stage, despite being decades ahead of anything Black Mesa had come up with. Black Mesa didn't figure out teleportation until the late 90s and even then had to use Xen as a slingshot, Aperture figured it out wayyyyy before and in a much more convenient manner, albeit without the vast distances that Black Mesa version could achieve (unless in the target is visible the portal gun is useless).

So basically where did the money come from in the 90s that allowed the creation of the AIs and new testing facilities?
Erik Wolpaw is good at dialogue, not stories. It's better not to think about it.

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
My only disappointment is we have no challenge rooms. Singleplayer replayability is going to be a little low.

IIRC the Portal 1 challenge rooms were DLC added months later, or at least most of them were.

Yeef

samoset said:
There are quite a few levels I remember Valve showing off at trade shows like E3 that didn't make it into the game. The one I'm mainly thinking of is with using the speed gel to get past 10 or so crushing plates as they formed a wall of death. I hope some will make a return in dlc with developer commentary explaining why they were cut. Could be a really cool director's cut feature.
If you listen to the commentary for the main campaign it actually explains why that was cut.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sober said:
Plus, if anyone ever tried that map pack from the people that did the portal flash game ... that was extremely twitch-based and you could end up dying something pretty much anywhere. Got fed up with that.
I found that annoying as shit too. It's generally not clever or entertaining if done poorly.

Plasmid

Just beat it.

I'm going to talk about non-spoilers first.

First, the source engine is BEAUTIFUL, the sound engine if not source is spectacular.

Stephen Merchant is hilarious, he added a great deal to the story, that made me extremely happy. GlaDOS also, my god, her voice change, insane demeanor, all of it, my lord.

The game was great for single player, i cannot wait for Co-Op.

Alright, spoiler time.

The ending, HOLY SHIT, i was just like, no way, the fucking moon? That's hilarious, i thought Chell was going to die in space, but i'm so happy GlaDOS saved her.

The cave johnson caroline sub-story was awesome, the backstory to everything was GREAT! Him getting sick, dying etc, crazy shit.

You're finally out, at the end, chell is free, the companion cube, all of it, it's done.

For anyone wanting to know the backstory of chell.

Chell's parents abandoned her as an infant, they never cared for her or even saw her grow up, chell volunteered to be in aperture science's tests, she was never abducted. Chell did MANY tests before portal 1, as seen in the rat man comic, she never gives up, and is in the 1 percentile of successful applicants. Chell is mute, she does not choose to not talk, she is a mute woman. Chell is one of MANY subjects who have been around, but she has gone the farthest, most died trying to retrieve the portal gun.

Aperture science history.

Cave Johnson started experimenting with potatoes in the 40's, in 1946 he was awarded many awards in potato science from the Idaho insitute. Cave started Aperture as a scientific company, and developed testing for projects, in 1951 the United States military signed a deal (except the Navy branch) with Aperture science to create lead based shower curtains to protect soldiers, eventually this was canned in the 70's. Aperture science bought a salt mine in Michigan and started to build their spheres as seen in the final few chapters. During this time cave started attempting tests with portal technology, gelatinious materials that was intended to be pudding, but started physically crawling out of people's throats. Through the years experimenters became scarce, and started using homeless people. Eventually they started using moon rocks to start with portal technology, although it was highly lethal, resulting in Cave dying in the 70's. His final initiatve was to put his Assistant Caroline's mind in a computer to continue testing and running Aperture, which resulted in GlaDOS. In the year 1998 the black mesa incident happened, as the final portal technology was perfected by Aperture. This is where Portal 1 starts around 2-3 months after the flooding of the enrichment enter.

So much backstory revealed, my god i LOVEEE it.

Time to read over all the spoilers <3.

Oh yeah, this part:

(Ch. 9)
PotatoGladOS: And this is the part where he kills us.
Wheatley: This is the part where I kill you!
Chapter 9 Title: The Part Where He Kills You.
Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You - "This is that part."

Oh so good.

snoopeasystreet said:
As far as gameplay and storytelling goes, the game is a masterpiece. The game is the perfect story based puzzler. I havent been stuck but constantly challenged. I learn the outcome to puzzles through play rather than being told what do.

Certainly one of the best games I've played in years.

This. I'm on Chapter 4, and I have spent time on a few levels, just tinkering, playing around, randomly hurling portals around see if I can find something. They are introducing mechanics at perfect rates, and they are adding just enough that I will forget about one, and then remember it and realize I need that to solve it. They bring back all the mechanics continuously so they all become part of the solution. It is so brilliant.

It is also a bit jarring looking through portals that change the orientation of the level. I love it. Especially because I feel completely immersed.

teefury is getting in on the Portal fun today

JCqne.png

Ferrio

Banned
Plasmid said:
J

Chell's parents abandoned her as an infant, they never cared for her or even saw her grow up, chell volunteered to be in aperture science's tests, she was never abducted. .

That's a lie. She was brought to the facility on bring your daughter to work day. One of the science potato projects has her name on it.

I'm Stuck on chp4:

Right after you destroy the neurotoxin and get sucked into the tube

Trying to figure out how to get out of here

Don't know what to do next

Edit: scratch that, i found my way out

Plasmid

Ferrio said:
That's a lie. She was brought to the facility on bring your daughter to work day. One of the science potato projects has her name on it.

I guess i missed that, it makes little sense to me though, but i don't doubt you.

SpudBud

I need the soundtrack to this game.

Also, in Chapter 6,
I saw a newspaper that claimed Cave Johnson bought a salt mine in upper Michigan. Was that where the whole chapter took place? I thought aperture science was located in Ohio.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
IIRC the Portal 1 challenge rooms were DLC added months later, or at least most of them were.

No. They were available at launch. All the timed, least portal, and least steps challenges, as well as the Advanced maps.

Zzoram said:
Portal 1 takes place sometime after Half-Life 1, when the portal storms hit and the Combine used them to invade Earth. You are in an isolated secret laboratory of Aperture Science, the competing lab to Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 lab where Gordon Freeman works) for the military contract for teleportation technology.

At the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, you intercept a message from the Combine that details the co-ordinates of the Borealis, an Aperture Science research freighter with some form of portal technology on it that's more advanced than what Black Mesa created. Presumably Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be about beating the combine to the Borealis to claim the portal technology, possibly the portal gun. Figuring out how to make the portal gun work in a first person shooter with enemy AI that moves is probably why Valve has delayed making Episode 3 for so long. They need to not only figure out how to make it work, but wait until the average gaming PC can handle the physics of it.

The whole Half-Life/Portal timeline is laid out here:

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

The events of Portal 2 have not been added to it yet.
You're a gentleman and a scholar. Cheers mate!

Plasmid said:
Just beat it.

Chell's parents abandoned her as an infant, they never cared for her or even saw her grow up, chell volunteered to be in aperture science's tests, she was never abducted. Chell did MANY tests before portal 1, as seen in the rat man comic, she never gives up, and is in the 1 percentile of successful applicants. Chell is mute, she does not choose to not talk, she is a mute woman. Chell is one of MANY subjects who have been around, but she has gone the farthest, most died trying to retrieve the portal gun.

Wrong,
Chell is the child of at least one employee of Aperture, she took part in bring your daughter to work day and may have been enslaved around the time Cave started making testing manditory for employees or after GlaDOS starting killing the staff. Why she is mute may be due to the lengthy time in stasis, brain damage, the traumatic things that have happened to her, death of her loved ones or perhaps she just chooses not to for her own safety etc etc etc

Top Bottom