• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

BTW, I noticed something weird. Basically I stacked two boxes, and removed the lower one. To my surprise, the upper one kept floating in the air. When I picked it up and released it, it stopped defying the laws of physics though.
Pic (Late chapter 5)

Also I think I beat one of the rooms by 'cheating'. Chapter 4 or 5
It was a small room with a laser and a laser switch, a light bridge, one cube and a button. Standing on the button would unlock the door. Activating the laser switch would raise a panel towards the exit. I couldnt figure out how to place the cube on a lightbridge so that it would unblock the laser and would rest on the button. So I put the cube on the button and used a camera to block the laser

SalsaShark said:
Of course its my second playthrough

I'm certain that Commentary mode disables achievements, at least previous titles worked that way

only playing for about an hour and a half but i love everything about it so far.

i'll need some friends for co-op eventually since i don't have a second controller right now so add me on either:

steam: EVaz18
psn: PUSHA-T

or both

adg1034

Chapter 6 question:

I've just left a test chamber and asbestos has just been mentioned.
The only portal surface options seemingly available to me are on the tall, thin pillars that dot the "floor" level of the area. How the hell do I proceed?

syoaran

Cindres said:
In fact, relating to this stuff.

I thought we'd at LEAST learn something about the Borealis, do we really have to wait for Ep3 to see ANYTHING RELATED TO THE FUCKING HALF LIFE STORY? This is seriously something that annoyed me about Portal 2. It was the only thing too, but we've been waiting for soooo long.

Well, we did learn about the company that made it, and we can extrapolate from that what is and what is not possible. The history is interesting because it makes things like the Portal gun non-high tech, it also explains a bit as to what Black Mesa East (whats left of them) can produce, as Cave allude to the fact that Black Mesa had been ripping off their ideas for a while now (prior to the combine invasion). We know Portal technology on earth is actually quite old, as Aperture created it during the companies launch.

Its also worth considering that Wheatly is a liar, after confirming he woke up test subjects to try and secure is release prior to the start of Portal 2. If you watch him during the time he tells you that nothing happened between the events of Portal 1 and 2, he gives the "im deceitful" animation which is detailed in the dev commentary. Considering that portal technology is what the combine want, there's a chance that we will find out the missing gap in time for the facility though exposition in EP3.

Of course, im like 10hours into trying to fill in the gaps and study the game so most of what I say is probably wrong or can be disregarded, but its food for thought

@ ARK:
During the first few test chambers in Apertures first building (chronologically first), we see posters for Portal gun technology being necessary to complete these tests. As for the moon, Cave says the white gel is by crushing moon crystals. In the final boss, we portal to the moon. So they used that, or they spent lots of money on space rockets. Aperture doesn't feel like the outsourcing type to send someone ELSE to get the moon crystals for them

is there much of a plot to the coop campaign? I've done 3 of the gauntlets and they've been great so far, but only the
projector
bits seem to point at any exposition.

Just had to share this:

My birthday was this weekend, so to celebrate it along with the release of Portal 2, my wife made me a special "Orange Box" for a gift and made me answer trivia questions about the Portal/Half-Life universe.

6pssux.jpg

Inside the Orange Box was the cake from Portal and inside that was the companion cube. Once I had answered all the questions, I got to open the companion cube and inside was the game. Woot! Now I'm gonna go play... :)

LegendOfGood said:
Just had to share this:

My birthday was this weekend, so to celebrate it along with the release of Portal 2, my wife made me a special "Orange Box" for a gift and made me answer trivia questions about the Portal/Half-Life universe.

http://i52.tinypic.com/6pssux.jpg[/IG]

Inside the Orange Box was the cake from Portal and inside that was the companion cube. Once I had answered all the questions, I got to open the companion cube and inside was the game. Woot! Now I'm gonna go play... :)[/QUOTE]

I want your wife. Seriously, never let her go.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ark said:
In all fairness, just because Portal is linked to the HL universe, doesn't mean it has to give us information on it. Valve wants to keep Portal as Portal, and HL as HL. If Portal 2 had some crazy Ep3 reveal, everyone would be talking about Ep3 and not Portal 2.

Yeah but
The Borealis is an Aperture thing, so learning secrets about that would make sense here! :/

Absinthe

Video walkthroughs are out there for anyone having trouble.

Google "portal 2 walkthrough gr" and click the first link.

Normally I don't condone something like this but after spending over 30min on 1 of the later puzzles I looked it up.

I can't believe they advertised this game on Cartoon Network as a kids game

This game is really scary, in an eerie sort of way

it's awesome though lol

Hunting for those radios and doing challenge courses in Portal has made this game kind of easy so far though

h3ro

Never played the first one, but after seeing how effusive GAF has been over this, I'm going to put in an order for the game.

Does the PS3 version offer customizable controls?

Ark

syoaran said:
Its also worth considering that Wheatly is a liar, after confirming he woke up test subjects to try and secure is release prior to the start of Portal 2. If you watch him during the time he tells you that nothing happened between the events of Portal 1 and 2, he gives the "im deceitful" animation which is detailed in the dev commentary. Considering that portal technology is what the combine want, there's a chance that we will find out the missing gap in time for the facility though exposition in EP3.

If the portal technology is old, since it was created when the facility was launched, then why is the achievement called 'Find the missing experiment"? Plus Kliener talks about Aperture rushing procedures to get funding instead of Black Mesa. Implying that the 'experiment' is something we haven't seen yet.

syoaran said:
@ ARK:
During the first few test chambers in Apertures first building (chronologically first), we see posters for Portal gun technology being necessary to complete these tests. As for the moon, Cave says the white gel is by crushing moon crystals. In the final boss, we portal to the moon. So they used that, or they spent lots of money on space rockets. Aperture doesn't feel like the outsourcing type to send someone ELSE to get the moon crystals for them

I got the Portal gun stuff (and my mind was blown when I was trying to work out how they could create portal guns in the 50's), but the moon crystal thing flew right over my head.

Cindres said:
Yeah but
The Borealis is an Aperture thing, so learning secrets about that would make sense here! :/

True, but Portal is a puzzle game at heart, Half-Life is where the main story is, imo at least.

Interesting thing to note, is that if Valve can make a puzzle game so incredible, what's in store for Ep3?

LegendOfGood said:
Inside the Orange Box was the cake from Portal and inside that was the companion cube. Once I had answered all the questions, I got to open the companion cube and inside was the game. Woot! Now I'm gonna go play... :)

Missus, flowers, restaurant, NOW.

angelfly

When Portal 2 was first announced I was worried how they were going to top the writing in the first one and now I'm about an hour into it and so far they've gone well beyond what I was expecting. The writing in this games continues to be top notch.

Silh

Came home from work a few hours ago to find my copy sitting outside my door. GLaDOS' insults are relentless, lmao.

f0rk

Stuck on a chamber in chapter 7
the first one with the white gel, I guess you have to boost up with the angled plate but can't see how to get enough height, any help?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fuck it, i told myself i wasnt gonna buy this with my massive backlog but apparently its wonderful.

Is the ps3 pc unlock process easy? Is the pc version labled as retail?

Silh said:
Came home from work a few hours ago to find my copy sitting outside my door. GLaDOS' insults are relentless, lmao.
I was surprised just how mean she was to everyone.

Turrets, robots, Wheatly or Chell, it doesn't matter, she's going to be pissy to them. I was kind of surprised when she
vaporizers a turret right in the beginning after you wake her up, I had always thought they were her buddies

I guess I can't blame her, she has been living through her death for the last 200 years

f0rk said:
the first one with the white gel, I guess you have to boost up with the angled plate but can't see how to get enough height, any help?
The two towers to the left of the angled plate. Alternate portals up their sides in between them so that you can splash the white gel all the way up. Once you can port to the top you will have enough height to launch yourself from the angled plate.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
f0rk said:
Spread the white gel everywhere. As high as it can go.

Finished it earlier. It's sweeeeeeeet!

Edit: Loved Steve Merchant. Can't get enough him, even after 90 odd XFM shows and loads of podcasts the guy is still hilarious.

Fun little easter egg that I enjoyed [chapter 3 spoiler]

In the last room of Chapter 3, if you take out the turret in the vent type area, you can crouch and you can enjoy a couple of turrets 'singing'. It gave me a good laugh

Salsa

Alright, second playthrough, dev commentary, i found a commentary note in one of
rattman's secrete hideouts
(dont know why im using the spoiler tag there) in chapter 3 that when turned, the subtitle just says [Adam Foster] and the supposedly commentary is just a number of high pitched robotic blips and other noises.

.. ARG continues or what ?

syoaran

Ark said:
If the portal technology is old, since it was created when the facility was launched, then why is the achievement called 'Find the missing experiment"? Plus Kliener talks about Aperture rushing procedures to get funding instead of Black Mesa. Implying that the 'experiment' is something we haven't seen yet.

Your right,
it's probably something we have not seen before. As for what Kiliner said, we know full well that Aperture is based on "just do stuff" rather than safety ^^.

Ark said:
I got the Portal gun stuff (and my mind was blown when I was trying to work out how they could create portal guns in the 50's), but the moon crystal thing flew right over my head.

Massive ARG related spoiler
its also worth noting that Rattmans last transmission (the one you get the achievement before) shows a companion cube on the moon. Maybe he went there via the portal gun?

Now that I write this, it makes the ending make even less sense now. Rattaman uses a sundial with natural sunlight, you shoot the moon in the end of Portal 2, and you end up on the surface at the end of Portal 1. But it takes a mega ass long elevator to take you to the surface FROM the final boss champer. That makes 0 sense. Just fun, I guess

Geek

Ninny Prancer
SalsaShark said:
Alright, second playthrough, dev commentary, i found a commentary note in one of
rattman's secrete hideouts
(dont know why im using the spoiler tag there) in chapter 3 that when turned, the subtitle just says [Adam Foster] and the supposedly commentary is just a number of high pitched robotic blips and other noises.

.. ARG continues or what ?

No, just some background on the Portal 2 announcement ARG.

http://valvearg.com/wiki/Com-arg.wav

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you haven't tried co-op yet, you are doing it wrong.

Co-op is quite possibly the best game experience I have ever had. I kid you not. That goes for all 21 years of my life.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game is awesome. I'm in chapter 6 or 7, just started playing with propulsion gel
and Johnson is absolutely hilarious. I love the old style section of Aperture labs. I hope potato GladOS comes back soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
george_us said:
It's amazing how they're able to give GLadDOS so much emotion yet remain perfectly robotic.
I love how passive aggressive and bitter she is this time. She's still the same but it keeps her from becoming stale. The other characters are great too.

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
BOTOLF!!!!!!

Have you finished it yet?! What do you think? TELL ME NOW!
I haven't finished it yet (but I'm getting on to finish it shortly). As I said yesterday, it's awesome wrapped in awesome dreaming of awesome. There's just so much to gush about. Will do so later!

george_us said:
It's amazing how they're able to give GLadDOS so much emotion yet remain perfectly robotic.
Its subtle but there are a lot of animations and actions there to make the characters more expressive/human.
Namely how the robotic arm just casually crushes Wheatly and flings him away while talking to Chell. Oh and then tossing her down the same "emergency intelligence incinerator" that was used to destroy her personality cores
RoboPlato said:
I love how passive aggressive and bitter she is this time. She's still the same but it keeps her from becoming stale. The other characters are great too.
She was like that at the end of the first game. After Chell escapes the testing course.
Its just that GLaDOS is a lot more talkative now. Mostly talking about plotting revenge on Chell of course

overcast

LegendOfGood said:
Just had to share this:

That is honestly one of the coolest birthday gifts ever! What a sweet wife.

Ark

syoaran said:
Now that I write this, it makes the ending make even less sense now. Rattaman uses a sundial with natural sunlight, you shoot the moon in the end of Portal 2, and you end up on the surface at the end of Portal 1. But it takes a mega ass long elevator to take you to the surface FROM the final boss champer. That makes 0 sense. Just fun, I guess

Isn't the main chamber moveable? I'm sure I remember Portal 1 had a huge shaft from Glados' room to the top of whatever was there, Wheatley must have moved it closer to the surface. There's probably nothing to read into it though.

In regards to the comic, this thread talks about loads of HL related stuff in the comic. There's a gravity gun in there, the health & HEV recharge things from HL2 as well.

Fake Edit: A possible explanation to the dry dock not missing, is that Aperture rebuilt the dock before they shut down that section of the facility.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lostconfused said:
She was like that at the end of the first game. After Chell escapes the testing course.
Its just that GLaDOS is a lot more talkative now. Mostly talking about plotting revenge on Chell of course
I know she was at the end, I just replayed it for the umpteenth time the other day, but her insults are a bit more biting this time around.

Doopliss

Nappuccino said:
I did this exact thing too.
Well it turns out we're not alone, in the Portal 2 discussion on the Bombcast they were talking about tricky moments and two of them were thinking of this same situation. If it is somewhat common, I like that Valve didn't give an obvious hint because it taught us to consider all our abilities rather than just the ones laid out in front of us.

SamBishop

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

THAT JUST HAPPENED.

[edit] It's been so much fun listening to you guys' reactions all morning. It really was torture not being able to say anything for the past couple days. Every fiber of my being just wanted to share the joy. Now I can!

Untracked

Just finished Single Player, this game blew me away! The humor is fantastic, Stephen Merchant is hilarious. Puzzles are a nice challenge without being really complicated. Graphics, art and sound are all top notch.

I only got stuck at one point, took me about 30 minutes to see the solution (it turned out to be obvious lol).

Really looking forward to co-op.

Top Bottom