• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

So where does the bot story fall?

I haven't beaten the main story, so I feel like the bots may take place after, but that leaves me thinking the ending might be disappointing.

I was thinking it took place after Glados had killed all the researchers, but before Chell came back. However, Aperture is covered in vines and decay, so that theory isn't exactly sound.

laika09

ColtraineGF said:
Oh yeah, this part:

(Ch. 9)
PotatoGladOS: And this is the part where he kills us.
Wheatley: This is the part where I kill you!
Chapter 9 Title: The Part Where He Kills You.
Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You - "This is that part."

Oh so good.

Yes. My favorite part of the entire game.

MrPing1000 said:
Wrong,
Chell is the child of at least one employee of Aperture, she took part in bring your daughter to work day and may have been enslaved around the time Cave started making testing manditory for employees or after GlaDOS starting killing the staff. Why she is mute may be due to the lengthy time in stasis, brain damage, the traumatic things that have happened to her, death of her loved ones or perhaps she just chooses not to for her own safety etc etc etc
I just assumed
she was mute because that's how Valve rolls. :p

Also, on an unrelated note,
all the fat jokes just make the imprint on Chell's bed funnier, as (poorly) seen in this image!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
balladofwindfishes said:
So where does the bot story fall?

I haven't beaten the main story, so I feel like the bots may take place after, but that leaves me thinking the ending might be disappointing.

I was thinking it took place after Glados had killed all the researchers, but before Chell came back. However, Aperture is covered in vines and decay, so that theory isn't exactly sound.
Takes place after.

Stabby McSter said:
I just assumed
she was mute because that's how Valve rolls. :p

Well yeah I'm just trying to rationalise it, however it is specifically referenced by other characters in the game, whilst in the Half-Life series Gordon not talking is tip toed around in an awkward way. (Alyx mentioning Gordon doesn't talk much and when she gets scared he just stands there going derp whilst she is in shock)

Burger

I love how the light bridges are almost musical, it's so nuanced and clever I just stood on one for ages, soaking it in.

Plasmid

MrPing1000 said:
Wrong,
Chell is the child of at least one employee of Aperture, she took part in bring your daughter to work day and may have been enslaved around the time Cave started making testing manditory for employees or after GlaDOS starting killing the staff. Why she is mute may be due to the lengthy time in stasis, brain damage, the traumatic things that have happened to her, death of her loved ones or perhaps she just chooses not to for her own safety etc etc etc

Ahh, this makes more sense, i may have just rushed through without paying attention to straight chell lines.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only bad thing about this games release is the resurgence of those horrible "the cake is a lie" and "this is a triumph" jokes. Ugh.

18y7bh.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
balladofwindfishes said:
Ah, well there goes my theories on how the game might end.
They said it in an interview.... and that when you play the co-op doesn't really matter. Like you can play it before singleplayer.

Red

In chapter 7 now. Stuck for the first time. I don't understand what the goal is in the room I'm in.

I'm in a room with three valves spurting out white, red, and orange gels. There is a grate over a portal-ready wall preventing me from going through it, but allowing the gel to pass. Above me is a long channel of pipes, and across from me is what looks like a locked elevator. I have no idea if I'm supposed to go up toward the pipes or across the chasm in front of me, or if the goal is something else because I don't know what the fuck to do at this point.

Right now I'm on a platform above the gel valves, and I'm painting all the walls white. Not doing any good. Still nowhere to go.

First time I've been stumped, but I am really damn stumped.

Sinatar said:
The only bad thing about this games release is the resurgence of those horrible "the cake is a lie" and "this is a triumph" jokes. Ugh.

http://www.abload.de/img/18y7bh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
good thing they're outdated jokes!

although [spoiler]i was expecting a cake somewhere, unless i just completely missed it :([/spoiler]

Jenga

Banned
did anyone else catch
the combat automaton bathysphere in the cave johnson levels? I don't believe they're a part of Portal 2. As in, not the turrets and shit. I'm expecting an combat android security detail at the Borealis in EP3

TheExodu5

Banned
Crunched said:
In chapter 7 now. Stuck for the first time. I don't understand what the goal is in the room I'm in.

I'm in a room with three valves spurting out white, red, and orange gels. There is a grate over a portal-ready wall preventing me from going through it, but allowing the gel to pass. Above me is a long channel of pipes, and across from me is what looks like a locked elevator. I have no idea if I'm supposed to go up toward the pipes or across the chasm in front of me, or if the goal is something else because I don't know what the fuck to do at this point.

Right now I'm on a platform above the gel valves, and I'm painting all the walls white. Not doing any good. Still nowhere to go.

First time I've been stumped, but I am really damn stumped.

That was one of my favorite puzzles in the game. :)

God, these multiplayer puzzles are trickier than single player. Chapter 3 shouldn't be this hard!

And my teammate wasn't very good, and didn't seem to pay any attention to my pointing or text chat.

But wow, these puzzles are clever. Like... top tier puzzle game type deals.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
That was one of my favorite puzzles in the game. :)
Where am I trying to get to? I don't want to know the solution I just want to know what the goal is. I have no idea what I should be trying to do.

Plasmid said:
The ending, HOLY SHIT, i was just like, no way, the fucking moon? That's hilarious, i thought Chell was going to die in space, but i'm so happy GlaDOS saved her.
I don't know why I let it, but that sort of bugged me. I mean, I don't know why I let little details like that annoy me given the plot of the game revolves around Portals. But like,
the bitch was actually in space, she should of died.

MrPing1000 said:
Well yeah I'm just trying to rationalise it, however it is specifically referenced by other characters in the game, whilst in the Half-Life series Gordon not talking is tip toed around in an awkward way. (Alyx mentioning Gordon doesn't talk much and when she gets scared he just stands there going derp whilst she is in shock)
I think Faliszek and Wolpaw said that Chell just chooses not to talk, while they purposefully stay ambiguous as to whether Gordon is actually talking but Valve simply chooses not to show it.

Einbroch

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
God, these multiplayer puzzles are trickier than single player. Chapter 3 shouldn't be this hard!

And my teammate wasn't very good, and didn't seem to pay any attention to my pointing or text chat.

But wow, these puzzles are clever. Like... top tier puzzle game type deals.
Really? Maybe it was because we were in the same room with two side-by-side screens, but multiplayer was soooo easy.

I can definitely see how not being able to talk to each other could be a pain, though.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Stabby McSter said:
good thing they're outdated jokes!

although
i was expecting a cake somewhere, unless i just completely missed it :(
http://i.imgur.com/SJ1Au.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kylehimself said:
I don't know why I let it, but that sort of bugged me. I mean, I don't know why I let little details like that annoy me given the plot of the game revolves around Portals. But like,
Err, it fits just fine with the tone of the game.

Jenga

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I think Faliszek and Wolpaw said that Chell just chooses not to talk, .
I thought
the canon explanation for her silence in Portal 2 is brain damage. Technically, it has her jumping in order to "speak". Unless Chell is just goofy on purpose or something.

Einbroch said:
Really? Maybe it was because we were in the same room with two side-by-side screens, but multiplayer was soooo easy.

I can definitely see how not being able to talk to each other could be a pain, though.
Yea, it kind of makes it more complicated when you only have text chat and the ability to point.

The other guy "got" it sometimes and I didn't, and vice-versa. We had to try and piece our ideas together without much communication at all.

As far as:
Cave being in the Borealis as an AI.... The only reason I don't think this will be true, is the fact that Valve is trying to distance the two franchises. The next installment of HL obviously has us going to the Borealis, and Cave being the AI in there, well....that's a HUGE tie in. I think Cave is dead. I'm going to have to replay the Moon Gel part again and listen closely to what he says.

Aside from that, I really want to start the CO-OP campaign and don't want to play with someone who has already beaten it and just tells me where to put the Portals.
So if you want to do a fresh run:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/eatnade

Jenga

Banned
Phantom Limbs said:
As far as:
Cave being in the Borealis as an AI.... The only reason I don't think this will be true, is the fact that Valve is trying to distance the two franchises. The next installment of HL obviously has us going to the Borealis, and Cave being the AI in there, well....that's a HUGE tie in. I think Cave is dead. I'm going to have to replay the Moon Gel part again and listen closely to what he says.
They said Portal would exist within its own bubble. Not HL necessarily.

Jenga said:
I thought
the canon explanation for her silence in Portal 2 is brain damage. Technically, it has her jumping in order to "speak". Unless Chell is just goofy on purpose or something.
She didn't speak in Portal. I think the jumping was just her being stubborn and not wanting to talk to something that looks like a piece of Glados

Kylehimself said:

Actually
space is a vacuum but you don't die instantly, takes a few minutes. She was only in space like 20seconds, probably fine... probably

Zeliard

EmCeeGramr said:
I think Faliszek and Wolpaw said that Chell just chooses not to talk, while they purposefully stay ambiguous as to whether Gordon is actually talking but Valve simply chooses not to show it.

Yeah I don't know if they've flat-out said it yet but Faliszek and Wolpaw have made comments to the effect of "well it would be pretty fucking weird if Gordon didn't respond back," so we can probably assume he isn't a mute.

Nessus

MrPing1000 said:
I'm curious about the history of Aperture.

Cave made his money in shower curtains before moving into science, it started well, employing brilliant physical specimens to work on the tests. But the money dried up and he ended up using homeless people. How did Aperture go from nearly being bankrupt to having enough money to create the AIs and robots? They got in trouble for basically shitting on human rights, and because of this Black Mesa was getting all the government contracts. As far as we know the portal device never made it out of the testing stage, despite being decades ahead of anything Black Mesa had come up with. Black Mesa didn't figure out teleportation until the late 90s and even then had to use Xen as a slingshot, Aperture figured it out wayyyyy before and in a much more convenient manner, albeit without the vast distances that Black Mesa version could achieve (unless in the target is visible the portal gun is useless). Also before GlaDOS killed most of the staff, it looked like they were getting close to converting to a mostly robot work force / test subject system anyway. Where'd the money come from?

So basically where did the money come from in the 90s that allowed the creation of the AIs and new testing facilities?

Those early test chambers in the bowels of the facility weren't designed around the portal gun. They were mainly meant to test the gels and other random science stuff (mantis men, etc.). The gun was only necessary due to the widespread state of disrepair (missing catwalks, etc.) All that equipment is 60s era.

Johnson began running out of money in the 70s and he started using homeless people as test subjects.

That was before the portal gun caught the attention of the US military at the Senate investigative committee in 1981. After which everything was hushed up and Aperture was basically given a blank cheque by the military to develop the portal tech.

The portal gun itself wasn't created until the mid 1980s, and was refined over the next decade, falling in line with the Black Mesa development time frame.

By this time Johnson was already poisoned and was dying (GLaDOS development began in 1986).

Also they offhandedly mention saving money in Portal 2 by using robots instead of human test subjects/employees.

Not a perfect explanation, but they did attempt to address it.

Somebody is coming back. And I mean some one who actually speaks, so Chell doesn't count. I doubt that Valve would create an entirely new cast of characters for Portal 3.

Jenga

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
She didn't speak in Portal. I think the jumping was just her being stubborn and not wanting to talk to something that looks like a piece of Glados
Portal it makes sense because all she has is Gladdos. Who is obviously antagonistic and is the reason why she's there.
In Portal 2 she has Wheatley who obviously trying his ebst to actually help her up until his betrayal. I don't know, they did say being in cryo for over 200 years would have obvious adverse effects.

Izayoi

Banned
Kylehimself said:
Being in space for a few seconds doesn't mean you die. Longer than 30 seconds or so and you might have problems, but even NASA says that before then, as long as you don't try to hold your breath, you probably won't recieve any permanant injury. She was in space for way less than 30 seconds.

Seventy5

Shurs said:
I played the first few levels on PS3.

It looks quite a bit better than I was expecting.

I think I'll probably just play through it on the console rather than downloading it onto my computer.
I was suprised by the looks too. I would love to see L4D running on my ps3 now...

Jenga

Banned
Nessus said:
Those early test chambers in the bowels of the facility weren't designed around the portal gun. They were mainly meant to test the gels and other random science stuff (mantis men, etc.). The gun was only necessary due to the widespread state of disrepair (missing catwalks, etc.) All that equipment is 60s era.

Johnson began running out of money in the 70s and he started using homeless people as test subjects.

That was before the portal gun caught the attention of the US military at the Senate investigative committee in 1981. After which everything was hushed up and Aperture was basically given a blank cheque by the military to develop the portal tech.

The portal gun itself wasn't created until the mid 1980s, and was refined over the next decade, falling in line with the Black Mesa development time frame.

By this time Johnson was already poisoned and was dying (GLaDOS development began in 1986).

Also they offhandedly mention saving money in Portal 2 by using robots instead of human test subjects/employees.

Not a perfect explanation, but they did attempt to address it.
what bugs me is that
they trail off Johnson's story right there. It isn't said anywhere he's dead, and we don't know what aperture was focusing on around the 90's. Like I've said before, my 2 cents is 90's Aperture = Borealis, and Cave beat death somehow

MrPing1000 said:
Actually
space is a vacuum but you don't die instantly, takes a few minutes. She was only in space like 20seconds, probably fine... probably
Izayoi said:
Being in space for a few seconds doesn't mean you die. Longer than 30 seconds or so and you might have problems, but even NASA says that before then, as long as you don't try to hold your breath, you probably won't recieve any permanant injury. She was in space for way less than 30 seconds.
It's fair to say I've learned something today.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lol, gotta love the steam store page. Giant Portal 2 image replaces currently available and has "Best Game of the Year!" PcGamer

Valve deserves all the kudos.

Now where the fuck is Episode 3 got damn.

SamBishop

Banned
samoset said:
There are quite a few levels I remember Valve showing off at trade shows like E3 that didn't make it into the game. The one I'm mainly thinking of is with using the speed gel to get past 10 or so crushing plates as they formed a wall of death. I hope some will make a return in dlc with developer commentary explaining why they were cut. Could be a really cool director's cut feature.

To help with your question of changes since E3 showings:
It's mentioned in the commentary rather directly that they took out any spike crushers because there was a feeling by the community that the game would be a lot harder than the first game (in truth, it's actually easier from a twitch/precision standpoint, but the bigger puzzles require more thought). I believe that one E3 level you were thinking of (with redirecting the gel to go down a thin path) may well have been the genesis for the game's very light funneling along a straight path, but who knows.

Izayoi

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Now where the fuck is Episode 3 got damn.
On that note,
I can't be the only person super disappointed to see literally no reference to Half-Life other than Cave complaining about Black Mesa. Like, seriously, just nothing? I really feel that Valve dropped the ball in that respect.

MrPliskin

Banned
Is there any kind of chapter select or anything, or do I have to replay the game in its entirety to unlock additional achievements?

Izayoi said:
On that note,
I can't be the only person super disappointed to see literally no reference to Half-Life other than Cave complaining about Black Mesa. Like, seriously, just nothing? I really feel that Valve dropped the ball in that respect.

Oh don't worry, you aren't the only one. It was the number 1 reason I was excited for the game. I love the game for what it is to death, but my main concern was what you posted above.

Jenga

Banned
Izayoi said:
On that note,
It depends on what you think.

we know the borealis is not there any longer. we know aperture fiddled with portal tech for years, and even time travel shit. they also have cryo, cloning, combat robots, and cyborg shit. In my mind, this is all build-up for what the Borealis may or may not be. They even experimented with mantis men and shit. Cyborgs, monsters, anything is possible at the Borealis. We also don't know the fate of Cave, nor do we know what happened to the world. There is no humanity, but the Earth is just fine.

I'm hyped, aren't you?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just played the first ~30 minutes and had to stop and post this: OMFG!

Seriously, this game has surpassed my lofty expectations, I've barely started! The humor, oh man, the humor is cranked up! And then the rug gets pulled out from under you lol, so bad ass. Back to the game...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MrPliskin said:
Is there any kind of chapter select or anything, or do I have to replay the game in its entirety to unlock additional achievements?
There are chapters, but they are decently sized so you might have to play a bit before getting back to the achievement area. Manual save once there in case you mess up or whatever.

MrPliskin said:
You can select chapters but that still means you have to replay large portions of the levels to get some very specific stuff.
Diseased Yak said:
Just played the first ~30 minutes and had to stop and post this: OMFG!
30 minutes? That's nothing, you haven't gotten to the best or even the good stuff.

Top Bottom