• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

syoaran

Ark said:
In regards to the comic, this thread talks about loads of HL related stuff in the comic. There's a gravity gun in there, the health & HEV recharge things from HL2 as well.

It's not from the comic, its from the achievement you get (test chamber) 10 (first time))

Smision said:
was worried for a minute that the annoying tutorial robot would be the side-kick for the game.
When I thought Glados killed him, my mouth opened and couldn't believe he was just tossed like that

I was so relieved when I heard his voice and found him alive

Can somebody be really amazing and point me in the direction of Portal and Portal 2 tie ins with Half-Life please? I've played Half-life 2, Ep1 and 2 and whilst I love the games, I'm not so knowledgeable on the lore. Some of the stuff I've read seems interesting and I'd like to find out more.

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
Any one else having any trouble activating the ps3 pc copy? I've linked my steam account to my ps3 account, and i can access steam from my ps3, but when I try to redeem the code on pc steam it tells me that i need to first link my two accounts.

droopy

I loled at all the
fat jokes
but thought GLaDOS was a kind of chatty overall,
mostly once you pick her up. She seems to do an awful lot of thinking out loud and chatting with Wheatly considering how much she she hates everybody.

I guess maybe vocalizing helped her cope with the limitations of her potato-based enclosure.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, so I got my PS3 copy and redeemed my Steam copy as well. Question: when it comes to co-op, can I play my PS3, and let my friend play my Steam account so that we can play the co-op together?

duffyside said:
Ok, so I got my PS3 copy and redeemed my Steam copy as well. Question: when it comes to co-op, can I play my PS3, and let my friend play my Steam account so that we can play the co-op together?

You can't be logged into the same Steam account on multiple devices. Way around it: person on the PS3 signs into a different account (one that is not linked to your Steam account)

Plasmid

Quick question concerning the co-op bots?

Were they in the single player? I kept looking over at the exit in chapter 8 to one of the puzzles, could have swore i saw a bot..

Shurs

I played the first few levels on PS3.

It looks quite a bit better than I was expecting.

I think I'll probably just play through it on the console rather than downloading it onto my computer.

Mafro

Plasmid said:
Quick question concerning the co-op bots?

Were they in the single player? I kept looking over at the exit in chapter 8 to one of the puzzles, could have swore i saw a bot..
I saw one of them running out the exit door at the bit with the three turrets

scogoth

Stayed up late for the launch, spent today playing it, and now its over. The wait for Portal 3 begins.

I'm in space

Does anyone know if when you earn achievements in the PC Steam version they carry over as for the trophies in the Ps3 version? My TV has been taken over by the family and I'd like to progress in the story while still earning trophies. Thanks. :D

Jenga

Banned
man they really made a lot of things make sense

like giving a reason why Aperture always trusted Gladdos. Because she's the AI construct of the old nice boss's secretary. Who seems to have been rather dumb. Why wouldn't they trust her? It feels like she was corrupted by her body more than anything.

also cave HAS to be an AI on the borealis. if they made an AI construct of his damned secretary, you'd think they would make one of him. If the Borealis is so important I think he's either there in cryo storage or languishing around in an AI running the show. Either way, he's too good of a character to say goodbye to

Clott

Just got to chapter 3 and am enjoying this immensely, I don't remember the last time I played such a well crafted and tight game, wait, that was uncharted 2.

Mrbob

UnlovedJew said:
Does anyone know if when you earn achievements in the PC Steam version they carry over as for the trophies in the Ps3 version? My TV has been taken over by the family and I'd like to progress in the story while still earning trophies. Thanks. :D

I don't think they do. They only sync together when you are playing the game on PS3.

Fixed1979

Was looking forward to getting home and playing all day...and now I'm lucky enough to have the constant CTD thing happening. At least I know I'm not alone.

Mrbob said:
I don't think they do. They only sync together when you are playing the game on PS3.
Aw, oh well. I guess I'll just play through some levels twice. Hardly an issue anyway considering how great this game is.

Zzoram

Kylehimself said:
Can somebody be really amazing and point me in the direction of Portal and Portal 2 tie ins with Half-Life please? I've played Half-life 2, Ep1 and 2 and whilst I love the games, I'm not so knowledgeable on the lore. Some of the stuff I've read seems interesting and I'd like to find out more.

Portal 1 takes place sometime after Half-Life 1, when the portal storms hit and the Combine used them to invade Earth. You are in an isolated secret laboratory of Aperture Science, the competing lab to Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 lab where Gordon Freeman works) for the military contract for teleportation technology.

At the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, you intercept a message from the Combine that details the co-ordinates of the Borealis, an Aperture Science research freighter with some form of portal technology on it that's more advanced than what Black Mesa created. Presumably Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be about beating the combine to the Borealis to claim the portal technology, possibly the portal gun. Figuring out how to make the portal gun work in a first person shooter with enemy AI that moves is probably why Valve has delayed making Episode 3 for so long. They need to not only figure out how to make it work, but wait until the average gaming PC can handle the physics of it.

The whole Half-Life/Portal timeline is laid out here:

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

The events of Portal 2 have not been added to it yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
samoset said:
I just finished up. Are there really no advanced/challenge rooms like the first game? Massive bummer if not.
Co-op is 100 million times better than the challenge (aka remix) rooms from 1.

Zzoram said:
Portal 1 takes place sometime after Half-Life 1, when the portal storms hit and the Combine used them to invade Earth. You are in an isolated secret laboratory of Aperture Science, the competing lab to Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 lab where Gordon Freeman works) for the military contract for teleportation technology.

At the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2, you intercept a message from the Combine that details the co-ordinates of the Borealis, an Aperture Science research freighter with some form of portal technology on it that's more advanced than what Black Mesa created. Presumably Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be about beating the combine to the Borealis to claim the portal technology, possibly the portal gun. Figuring out how to make the portal gun work in a first person shooter with enemy AI that moves is probably why Valve has delayed making Episode 3 for so long. They need to not only figure out how to make it work, but wait until the average gaming PC can handle the physics of it.
That would be lame to have a portal gun in Episode 3. Let Portal keep its unique mechanic and come up with something new.

I just read the comic and I don't like how it portrays things that happen between the two games.

A lone survivor running around behind the scenes goes to the surface with relative ease and drags her back down to put her in the cryo-storage cheap hotel room, then wires her pod to survive when the power goes out, then the same Chell wakes up again, having accomplished pretty much nothing in the first game

I guess in my own head this is how the story went:

Chell was a clone, one of thousands, all the messages and notes and clues left behind were from past clones of her slowly working their way through the trials... when you die in Portal 1 you actually die, and another clone is awakened and gets as far as you do. To me the idea of Glados torturing Chell over and over until one eventually defeats her and escapes to the surface (where she's dragged away to an unknown fate) is much more epic. Then in Portal 2 you are essentially the last clone of Chell, woken up for one last run through the Aperture Science test gauntlet.

Oh well. Good story overall though.

Mrbob

UnlovedJew said:
Aw, oh well. I guess I'll just play through some levels twice. Hardly an issue anyway considering how great this game is.

Still not home yet to open up my copy of Portal 2 (PS3 as well) but I figure the game will be worth playing multiple times like the original.

Ending Spoilers:
I love that when the bots were singing at the end you could see the "Animal King" giant leopard skinned turret in the background. That had me laughing because the "Animal King Takeover" was my favorite video clip thing that was displayed around the elevators in the early testing chambers.

Jenga

Banned
Zzoram said:
why Valve has delayed making Episode 3 for so long. They need to not only figure out how to make it work, but wait until the average gaming PC can handle the physics of it.
oh please, I doubt it

Smash88

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Ok this is really weird, just went into my save game folder and found 3 files with extensions .hl1/.hl2/.hl3

http://i.imgur.com/QzR4n.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

What's your point? It's just a save file extension, make another game and you will have .hl4.

samoset

Stallion Free said:
Co-op is 100 million times better than the challenge (aka remix) rooms from 1.
Co-op is great but I just didn't expect them to drop a feature in a full release. The challenge rooms ended up being most of my play time in the first portal and it really is a bummer to see them go.

Another quick question is how is co-op progress saved? Is it with the specific play or on a individual basis. I ended up playing for about an hour with a random and we ended up making pretty good progress. I would hate to have to restart every time.

Luigi87

Just beat single-player... That was awesome.

Now to start getting achievements, and wait for my friend to beat single-player, so we can co-op.

Zzoram said:

Sometimes I really miss the laughing smiley.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wayward archer said:
I guess in my own head this is how the story went:

Chell was a clone, one of thousands, all the messages and notes and clues left behind were from past clones of her slowly working their way through the trials... when you die in Portal 1 you actually die, and another clone is awakened and gets as far as you do. To me the idea of Glados torturing Chell over and over until one eventually defeats her and escapes to the surface (where she's dragged away to an unknown fate) is much more epic. Then in Portal 2 you are essentially the last clone of Chell, woken up for one last run through the Aperture Science test gauntlet.

Oh well. Good story overall though.
Chell was abducted by Aperture during a bring your daughter to work day. That is so much better than clone nonsense it's not even funny.

Zzoram

samoset said:
Co-op is great but I just didn't expect them to drop a feature in a full release. The challenge rooms ended up being most of my play time in the first portal and it really is a bummer to see them go.

Another quick question is how is co-op progress saved? Is it with the specific play or on a individual basis. I ended up playing for about an hour with a random and we ended up making pretty good progress. I would hate to have to restart every time.

Think about it this way. There will probably be free challenge room DLC, only this time it will be co-op too!

Baha

Wheatley's chatter is awesome, particularly near the end,
"There's boys at the bottom of the pit, a boy band in fact!"

Stallion Free said:
Chell was abducted by Aperture during a bring your daughter to work day. That is so much better than clone nonsense it's not even funny.

Well in my version:
That's exactly what happened, the original Chell was captured and cloned, and maybe used as an experiment. Or maybe the Chell in the Portal 2 could have been the original Chell, finally released. I just don't like the idea of someone dragging the same Chell back into the basement of Aperture Science and her having to relive the entire thing all over again. Might as well be clones at that point.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
If we don't get official challenge rooms from Valve I really hope the mod community will come up with some awesome stuff incorporating the gels and stuff.

wayward archer said:
Well in my version:
That's exactly what happened, the original Chell was captured and cloned, and maybe used as an experiment. Or maybe the Chell in the Portal 2 could have been the original Chell, finally released. I just don't like the idea of someone dragging the same Chell back into the basement of Aperture Science and her having to relive the entire thing all over again. Might as well be clones at that point.
You can pretend its that way if it makes you feel better. But it doesn't add anything to the plot or the story.

Edit: Although the one thing that did bother me about the ending
is the new song. It feels so much more shallow than "Still Alive" for some reason. Maybe its just lacking the SCIENCE! theme that made the first one so great

Top Bottom