• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

I can't believe the source engine is powering one of the best looking games of 2011. Best investment since the U.S. bought Alaska for 7 million.

Loam

So did they change their initial idea for
Cave Johnson
?

Part of the announcement arg for Portal 2 had Cave writing memos from beyond the grave as a robot. The initial casting call also described him as someone who would be "losing touch with their humanity" throughout the game, or something along those lines. Yet in the final version it's implied that Cave died before they could implement the technology to transfer his consciousness into a machine.

Did I miss something while playing, or did they change it so that Cave is actually dead. Which be a shame, as he's a fantastic character.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lostconfused said:
So it'ssilly for people to have expectations for a sequel based on its predecessor? Really? I guess its my fault for not following every interview that Valve game out to know that I shouldn't have any kind of expectations at all.

Portal gave no insight into Half-Life's plot. None. It referenced Black Mesa as a competitor to Aperture. GlaDOS made some comments about stuff going on outside. The actual plot and events of Portal did not give additional information on the Half-Life saga, except for establishing Aperture as a competitor (which was then pushed in Episode 2), and this is what everyone seems to be forgetting.

People acting like Portal had some amazing exposition of Half-Life plot and is utterly essential in understanding the Half-Life universe are remembering the game incorrectly, or are simply making things up.

Portal 2 was never going to have anything more than a couple of references to the Half-Life universe, and that is exactly what we got. No exposition of Episode 3's story beause it really wasn't expected. As said, Valve said over and over that Portal 2 was part of the universe, but they were trying to distance it from the Half-Life plot. They said this again only a month or so before the game launched.

You ignored Valve, ignored reasons, and set foolish expectations and are now disappointed. You should have gone into Portal 2 expecting Portal 2, as that is exactly what you got.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't know why I'm less forgiving of the frequent loading in Portal 2. The environments are more complex and detailed, but just irks me to have it after every challenge/trial/whatever. Even Portal would sometimes have two to three before another loading section.

How is the loading on the 360? I'm annoyed there doesn't seem to be an option to install the game on the PS3.

jambo

MrPliskin said:
The one thing that bothers me...(and I'm definitely over thinking this)

you are fighting Wheatly, and the roof falls in to show the moon...

...then you leave the lab, and all you can see is fields and a shack...where the hell were you just fighting?!

I'm fairly sure the Aperture Labs are huge, spanning many miles of underground caves and tunnels.

It's possible that the location where you saw the moon was miles away from the spot where you were let free.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Finished everything. In a word? Fun. Pure fun.

God, I can't wait for DOTA 2. Valve is operating on a different level than everyone else.

Tawpgun

Ourobolus said:
Just beat it. God that was amazing. The later chapter puzzles were really well-done, had a couple head-scratchers there. That game was just pure fun, end to end.

You know what's a little irritating though? After getting all of these tools and using them constantly to solve puzzles, I keep forgetting that sometimes I just need to place two portals and walk through them. Heh.

The writing in the game was absolutely top-notch. Each and every character is just pure joy to listen to.
I know exactly what you mean.

I got stuck on one puzzle because I thought you had to use new toys, and not the old ones.

I have no doubt that PC, and PS3 since it has mod support from PC, will get custom maps.

But is the 360 going to be left in the dust again? Is it going to be another Orange Box?

JRW

A Human Becoming said:
I don't know why I'm less forgiving of the frequent loading in Portal 2. The environments are more complex and detailed, but just irks me to have it after every challenge/trial/whatever. Even Portal would sometimes have two to three before another loading section.

How is the loading on the 360? I'm annoyed there doesn't seem to be an option to install the game on the PS3.

360 load times arent that bad really but my i7 920 based PC loads levels really quick.

woolley

I'm just in love with this game no matter how frustrating it gets. It's funny how I'll sit in a room for like 10 minutes wonder how the hell am I gonna beat the room then it just clicks out of nowhere and seems so obvious.

And the writing for the game is great. I love all the little jokes that they slip in there and just makes it such a more enjoyable experience.

EatChildren said:
Portal gave no insight into Half-Life's plot. None. It referenced Black Mesa as a competitor to Aperture. GlaDOS made some comments about stuff going on outside. The actual plot and events of Portal did not give additional information on the Half-Life saga, except for establishing Aperture as a competitor (which was then pushed in Episode 2), and this is what everyone seems to be forgetting.

You ignored Valve, ignored reasons, and set foolish expectations and are now disappointed. You should have gone into Portal 2 expecting Portal 2, as that is exactly what you got.
Well for one you have no idea what I expected so I would appreciated it if you didn't put words in my mouth in an attempt to make a point.

I agree that Portal gave no major insight into Black Messa but it did give insight into the universe by stating that the events of the game are part of it by making overt and obvious references.

I don't believe I actually had any expectations other than some references to Half Life being in the game but I do believe I expected more of them or the references to be more obvious. Having just finished the game
I only remember one instance and that's the trophy case where Aperture Science received a runner up award. It was definitely a lot more subtle and hidden than anything in Portal.
I think its ridiculous for me to base expectations on an interview that I have never read or even heard of.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A Human Becoming said:

I can tell you that it isn't much better on PC. Same number of load screens. It loads a bit faster on my rig, but the difference is not significant.

chixdiggit

Game is so good. I have actually laughed out loud several times. Feels good to play a game with humor that doesn't involve farts or dick tits.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lostconfused said:
Well for one you have no idea what I expected so I would appreciated it if you didn't put words in my mouth in an attempt to make a point.

I agree that Portal gave no major insight into Black Messa but it did give insight into the universe by stating that the events of the game are part of it by making overt and obvious references.

I don't believe I actually had any expectations other than some references to Half Life being in the game but I do believe I expected more of them or the references to be more obvious. Having just finished the game
I only remember one instance and that's the trophy case where Aperture Science received a runner up award. It was definitely a lot more subtle and hidden than anything in Portal.
I think its ridiculous for me to base expectations on an interview that I have never read or even heard of.

It's ridiculous of you having any expectations that Portal = Half-Life in any way shape or form. It's not Half-Life. You sound like another one of those people who was playing Portal 2 for Episode 3 insight, not for Portal 2.

And it's not like Valve has been quiet about trying to establish Portal 2 as it's own franchise. Their quotes arn't burried in obscure interviews.

I'm not buying yours or anybody elses disappointment, because you set it for yourselves. It's a shame you couldn't move past that and let go.

jambo

gregor7777 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't care in the least about the loading screens? I mean, not at all.

I was a little annoyed at the start, but the game is just so damn good that I stopped caring.

jambo said:
I was a little annoyed at the start, but the game is just so damn good that I stopped caring.

Source games, loading...I mean it's been 7 years I just don't care.

And yeah, the writing and atmosphere is just so spot on. Valve knocked this one out of the park.

Jenga

Banned
golem said:
I believe GlaDOS at one point said she didnt see any deer above, just humans... of course she may be lying
I think she was talking about that surprise she had. the one that was supposed to be her parents

Oreoleo

jambo said:

I think that the game shoots you to an actual loading screen graphic is more troublesome than the actual loading. It's very distracting and pulls you out of the game experience a little bit each time.

Price aside, really fantastic game. Total blast from start to finish.

Price considered, I'm not sure. I need to play CO-OP first to really judge this. I'm not terribly happy about about paying $45 for 6 hours of Single Player, but at the same time I wouldn't have been surprised if the game were $60 and I can't fault Valve too much.

Sanic

I only jumped into coop for a few minutes, but how does it work? How are levels selected, etc.?

I'm going to assume you're not supposed to play through the campaign from the start each time and i'm just missing something? Playing with randoms.

The whole "oh wait, i can just use the portal gun to walk over there" situation happened here too. So consumed by angles and trajectories that I forgot the basic conceit of the game.

Also, did anyone else laugh at how
Wheatley's attempt at test building, complete with ad-hoc "TEST" written on the walls in spare parts, terrible puzzles, and "yeah I threw a bit of everything in there" seemed like it deliberately poking fun at bad mad makers?

Tawpgun

Pandoracell said:
I only jumped into coop for a few minutes, but how does it work? How are levels selected, etc.?

I'm going to assume you're not supposed to play through the campaign from the start each time and i'm just missing something? Playing with randoms.
Can someone answer this? And also if your levels save?

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
It's ridiculous of you having any expectations that Portal = Half-Life in any way shape or form. It's not Half-Life. You sound like another one of those people who was playing Portal 2 for Episode 3 insight, not for Portal 2.

And it's not like Valve has been quiet about trying to establish Portal 2 as it's own franchise. Their quotes arn't burried in obscure interviews.

I'm not buying yours or anybody elses disappointment, because you set it for yourselves. It's a shame you couldn't move past that and let go.

You'll likely have people disappointed if/when Episode 3 doesn't feature a portal gun.

Jenga

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
The whole "oh wait, i can just use the portal gun to walk over there" situation happened here too. So consumed by angles and trajectories that I forgot the basic conceit of the game.

Also, did anyone else laugh at how
Wheatley's attempt at test building, complete with ad-hoc "TEST" written on the walls in spare parts, terrible puzzles, and "yeah I threw a bit of everything in there" seemed like it deliberately poking fun at bad mad makers?
yeah
the "TEST" seemed to take a shot at like, half of the source mod community
they always put shit like that in there

EmCeeGramr said:

I'm picking up on this, too (at Chapter 7).

EatChildren

Zeliard said:
You'll likely have people disappointed if/when Episode 3 doesn't feature a portal gun.

I know, and it kills me.

EatChildren said:

Ok I need some one else to tell me that this isn't a troll post and that you are actually serious. Because this is so far from reasonable that I am finding it difficult to even start trying to understand any of that.

Maybe you should ease up a bit.

Edit
EatChildren said:
I know, and it kills me.
Yeah you are definitely too worked up about this.

sflufan

Banned
I wonder if Valve has made the transition from "the developer of the Half-Life series" to "the developer of Portal series" -- in other words, is Portal now Valve's "signature" franchise?

Joe Molotov

speculawyer said:
But you are comparing a game where already knew the solutions to one where you didn't.

With Portal 1, I eventually gave up on some puzzles and looked up hints. I didn't need any hints or walk-throughs to get through Portal 2 (single player).

Maybe I've just gotten smarter since I played Portal 1. :)

I didn't have to look up hints for either game ( :p ) but IMO the only really tricky part of Portal 1 was Chamber 18. Portal 2 had quite a few chambers that made me stop and think for a while.

Joe Molotov said:
I didn't have to look up hints for either game ( :p ) but IMO the only really tricky part of Portal 1 was Chamber 18. Portal 2 had quite a few chambers that made me stop and think for a while.

Yep. Was stumped once or twice really bad in Portal 1. Once or twice really bad in Portal 2.

Both were just "Oh fuck me, how did I miss that for the last 10 minutes?"

sflufan said:
I wonder if Valve has made the transition from "the developer of the Half-Life series" to "the developer of Portal series" -- in other words, is Portal now Valve's "signature" franchise?

No, I don't think so. Half Life defines Valve.

Medalion

Banned
I am already stuck at a puzzle that involves lasers, redirectional cubes, and faith plates... I have a laser activating the door but the door is on a ledge that I cannot get to without using a portal to gain moment to fly up there...

Damn *bow* Valve genius'

EmCeeGramr said:
Heck that happened to me in Portal. I was trying to the turrets of their platforms with the energy pellet and I was trying so hard to figure out how to line up the portals with them. Didn't even realize that they had laser sights pointed at walls so you could get it exactly right without any guessing.

Jabronie

Neo Member
Did anyone else get stuck in
Chapter 8, chamber 16 where we have to use the blue gel to knock out the three bots? I never would have thought to have used the gel as a weapon. I kept trying to find a way to get behind the turrets. I had to find a faq :(

Tawpgun

With all these new toys I keep forgetting to use my Portal gun.

I think their should have been a test chamber late in the game that sets it up so it looks like you have to use light bridges, grav beams, all 3 gels, cubes, lasers, buttons ect. When all you have to do is a simple momentum swing or something.

Sanic

Pandoracell said:

Anyone? am I the only one who's played with randoms? :p

And I noticed the "DLC" link in the steam overlay. Anything been announced?

MrPliskin

Banned
jambo said:
I'm fairly sure the Aperture Labs are huge, spanning many miles of underground caves and tunnels.

It's possible that the location where you saw the moon was miles away from the spot where you were let free.

Sounds really plausible now that I think about it (some more). Thanks for settling it, now I can enjoy every single pixel without a concern. Game is AFW.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Was anyone else blown away by the shadows and lighting at the beginning of Chapter 5?

Holy shit...

gregor7777 said:
No, I don't think so. Half Life defines Valve.

I agree. I think Half-Life is going through what I call the "Michael Jordan Syndrome." As time passes, people forget (or SOMETHING) at how great it is/he was. As other, more flashy games/players come out, people latch onto it and the greatness starts to fade away somehow.

That is NOT to trash Portal 2, which, I think, is Valve's best single-player game they've created so far, but remember what started it all. Remember the world in which Portal(2) takes place in. Valve is a VERY different company since Episode 2 came out, so after playing Portal 2 I can see why Episode 3 is taking so long. They keep learning and keep perfecting every-little-thing they do. It is easy to pinpoint in Portal 2 things they have learned from even the Left 4 Dead series. Portal 2 is the culmination of ALL their knowledge from 2007 onward and the combination of their VAST amount of talent they've acquired since 2007.

Valve is going to blow us away with Episode 3 and remind people that Half-Life is really their prized possession. It is akin to Nintendo and console Zelda games. They don't come out TOO often, but when they do they tend to be games that put a stamp on a generation.

Pandoracell said:
And I noticed the "DLC" link in the steam overlay. Anything been announced?

I don't think anything concrete has been announced, but I do know they plan on DLC. If I remember correctly, they are working on SP and MP and seeing what the community decides after that.

Darn it! I have the Tetris effect going on right now. White walls are possible portals and I'm reading things in the voice of Wheatley or GLADoS.

Top Bottom