• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Sanic

Netrunner2k2 said:
I don't think anything concrete has been announced, but I do know they plan on DLC. If I remember correctly, they are working on SP and MP and seeing what the community decides after that.

So it's possibly premium content since it's being designated as DLC instead of just being included in updates? I guess i'm cool with that if so.

Pandoracell said:
So it's possibly premium content since it's being designated as DLC instead of just being included in updates? I guess i'm cool with that if so.

Valve called L4D and L4D2 stuff DLC on the PC, but they released it for free. I expect the same again. At least on the PC/PS3 side.

sflufan

Banned
Pandoracell said:

That DLC tab has been present in the Steam overlay since L4D1 -- it's nothing new at all.

Besides P2 already has "premium DLC" in the Portal Store :eek:P

Netrunner2k2 said:
It is akin to Nintendo and console Zelda games. They don't come out TOO often, but when they do they tend to be games that put a stamp on a generation.

While I kind of understand and agree with that statement, I don't think this should be the case. Zelda always has very self contained, long stories... while Half life is very serial. The wait is much worse when you're waiting for story to be continued.

Sanic

Ah, I didn't know that the extra stuff for L4D was labeled as DLC on steam, thanks.

And I must say that i'm really enjoying this even more because it's one of the few games I went into almost completely dark. I literally knew nothing of the game outside of gel and coop.

golem

This game felt easier than the first one.. not sure if thats because after Portal 1 you're pretty experienced, but there was only 1 level where i was stuck for more than a few minutes

Nappuccino said:
While I kind of understand and agree with that statement, I don't think this should be the case. Zelda always has very self contained, long stories... while Half life is very serial. The wait is much worse when you're waiting for story to be continued.

I completely agree. The wait for the next HL game is very difficult because we are caught in some nightmare of a cliffhanger. Imagine if this happened to a TV show, but instead of a summer break cliffhanger it turned into, "well, we'll get to it!"

I don't know if Portal 2 has made the wait for the next HL more or less frustrating. I'm so ecstatic at how Portal 2 turned out that I can't process that feeling right now.

I am almost done with chapter 3 and I am in love with this game!

my only complaint is the loading.. MY GOD it really kills the experience for me and makes it feel more like a game when I am getting taken out of the world every few minutes. PS3

other then that BOW valve.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm a good way through Chapter 7 and this chapter has really upped the difficulty on the puzzles. The gels really add a lot of depth to the puzzles. The first half of the game felt like what I was expecting but the second half has been on a whole other level. Valve does awesome, unexpected things with its sequels and I love them for it. Can't wait to finish this tomorrow.

kai3345

Banned
Just got to the
Retro
Aperture section.

This is great, probably one of the best singleplayer campaigns I've ever played. Completley trumping half life 2.

I lol'd when the personality core guy 'hacked' the door

classicdms

Neo Member
MrPliskin said:
The one thing that bothers me...(and I'm definitely over thinking this)

you are fighting Wheatly, and the roof falls in to show the moon...

...then you leave the lab, and all you can see is fields and a shack...where the hell were you just fighting?!
In the commentary, one of the devs mentions that there is only one spot in the whole game that is a physical impossibility from the way maps are laid out. It's possible thats the one.

Feep

Banned
Chapter 8 - The first puzzle that took me more than five minutes to solve, and it was amazing.

The one where you need to quickly reverse and then reverse again the tractor beam to get the repulsion gel onto the three turrets
...wonderful. I'm smiling, like, nonstop here. = D

golem said:
This game felt easier than the first one.. not sure if thats because after Portal 1 you're pretty experienced, but there was only 1 level where i was stuck for more than a few minutes
This game actually had me stumped a few times. It wasn't until I just started dicking around when I started solving the later puzzles. I blasted through Portal, and I had a kinda hard time with Portal 2. D:

Only played a little bit (don't wanna go through a huge chunk at once), but wow, the game looks gorgeous. Wheatley's pretty charming, I like the little dude. Glados is still such a passive-aggressive bitch, but she's funny.

Really digging the game so far.

Zeliard

Netrunner2k2 said:
I completely agree. The wait for the next HL game is very difficult because we are caught in some nightmare of a cliffhanger. Imagine if this happened to a TV show, but instead of a summer break cliffhanger it turned into, "well, we'll get to it!"

I don't know if Portal 2 has made the wait for the next HL more or less frustrating. I'm so ecstatic at how Portal 2 turned out that I can't process that feeling right now.

I actually feel a lot less about it (in terms of a cliffhanger) than I do some serialized shows with a single plot continuity like BSG or whatnot since Valve gives us so little to go on. You've got your big mysteries like who's G-Man and such but there isn't much to chew on there because we still know so little. It's probably been years since people have even bothered to take a stab at what G-Man is and his purpose.

Zeliard said:
I actually feel a lot less about it (in terms of a cliffhanger) than I do some serialized shows with a single plot continuity like BSG or whatnot since Valve gives us so little to go on. You've got your big mysteries like who's G-Man and such but there isn't much to chew on there because we still know so little. It's probably been years since people have even bothered to take a stab at what G-Man is and his purpose.

MUST

REVENGE

ELI

Salsa

In the middle of my second playthrough with dev commentary (one of the bests commentaries yet, there seem to be less speech bubbles than in other valve games, but they get very deep with the technical stuff in each one, very interesting) and starting co-op with some dude while AcridMeat finishes the damn game so we can play together.

Just completed Mass and Velocity courses and the co-op is fuckin fantastic.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat it right now. What a freaking ride that was.
I love you so much Valve. Thank you for this awesome gem of a game, truly.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is anyone else getting a huge Pixar vibe from this game? The animation, writing, and humor really remind me of WALL-E, actually.

But particularly the animation... How the fuck does Valve do it? Some of the stuff I've seen in this game just boggles my mind.

Salsa

MrOogieBoogie said:
How the fuck does Valve do it? Some of the stuff I've seen in this game just boggles my mind.

Valve time, being your own publisher gives you all the time in the world.

also: talent, same as pixar.

L00P

Feep said:
Chapter 8 - The first puzzle that took me more than five minutes to solve, and it was amazing.

The one where you need to quickly reverse and then reverse again the tractor beam to get the repulsion gel onto the three turrets
...wonderful. I'm smiling, like, nonstop here. = D

I was cracking up when I figured that one out X)

Alucrid

Banned
This game is so fucking awesome. Finished Co-Op with a friend earlier and that was awesome. So many "HOLY SHIT, that's how you do it." moments. Just started the single player and the little english dude is hilarious.

If this were anyother year I'd say this is a lock fof GOTY but with BF3, Skyrim, UC3, and Witcher 2 this year I am not sure. I will say its exceeded all of my expectations. Pure genius.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished the campaign. Only real complaint is I wish it was 1000 hours long. Definitely longer than the first game, somewhere around 6 hours start to finish. Probably 6 of the funnest hours of playing a game I've had in a while.

I actually thought
Wheatley
was voiced by
Ricky Gervais
at first. The style of
comedy
is pretty much identical, I actually paused to look it up and found out it is
Stephen Merchant
who has written a lot of the stuff he's done.

MrOogieBoogie said:
Is anyone else getting a huge Pixar vibe from this game? The animation, writing, and humor really remind me of WALL-E, actually.

But particularly the animation... How the fuck does Valve do it? Some of the stuff I've seen in this game just boggles my mind.

I know, it's brilliant :)

Though, a bit darker than Pixar, what with the end of the world and a murderous AI and all that jazz.

Curufinwe

I just got a profile figured out to make the PC version work with the XBCD drivers I still use to run my 360 pad. I'm going to play it with the mouse, of course, but since the pad is plugged in I wanted it to work right.

creid

Ugh, couldn't play co-op with a friend on Steam because I couldn't sign on PSN all night. If I end up with no one to co-op with... :(

JackEtc

This game is incredible, I'm loving it. Had to stop playing because my grandparents (who are visiting) are sleeping in my room, which has my PC in it. Installing it on my downstairs computer now, yay for Steam Cloud!

Medalion

Banned
I got past my last hurdle, now I am in a room full of Turrets trying to figure out how to use the Light Bridge to my advantage to not get killed by them

Just beat the game. This game is truly a work of art in the realm of video games. Direction, gameplay, writing, graphics, they were all in a league of their own. One of my biggest pro's was the sheer size of some of the locations you come across, starting a few minutes in and going on from there. Humor was amazing. Especially
at the part after the credits with the corrupted yellow core "I'm in space." "Spaaaaaace!"
I, for some reason, cracked up more there than any other point in the game.

Was I hoping for a pretty solid Ep 3 reference? Yes, but I wasn't too bummed about not getting one. I'm sure many of us were with how close they've tied the two games properties together. Here's my theory to a Ep 3 reference:
Chell being let out into a field with a clear blue sky a could have been a reference to the fact that Gordon defeated the Combine and the Earth has recovered in those centuries since. It seemed to me that most of the Earth was ravaged by the portal storms, Combine invasion/7 Hour War, and the resource depletion of the Combine occupation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God's Beard said:
Who wants to bet that
Alyx will need to use sign language to talk to Chell
in the next HL game?

Assuming the game is set at the time Valve said, I dont think this is possible since Chell spent all her time in the facility.
Alyx and Gordon would be dead

IoCaster

Just got to chapter 8 and decided to shut it down for the night. I've had so much damn fun with this game today. A couple of the puzzles in chapter 7 had me stuck on pause just staring at the screen for minutes as I worked them out in my head. Great game so far and it sounds like it'll end on a high note. Double plus good all around and Valve absolutely nailed the story, writing, atmosphere and most importantly the fun factor.

God's Beard said:
Who wants to bet that
Alyx will need to use sign language to talk to Chell
in the next HL game?

Also,
why would Alyx use sign language to speak to Chell? Chell can hear just fine. Chell would be the one to have to use it because she is mute.

Top Bottom