• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

big_z

the only thing i dont like in portal 2 so far is the loading. i dont remember the first game being this bad. they should have at least loaded 3 sections at a time or something because stopping every few minutes to load pulls you out of the game.

(._.)

Banned
big_z said:
the only thing i dont like in portal 2 so far is the loading. i dont remember the first game being this bad. they should have at least loaded 3 sections at a time or something because stopping every few minutes to load pulls you out of the game.
It got less annoying for me as the game progressed

Slavik81

TheExodu5 said:
No way. Not even close. This game was far, far harder than the first.
Only if you haven't played the first.

It was definitely designed to ramp up to similar difficulty for players who'd already gone through the original.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stabby McSter said:
Even if you have, it's still harder. D:
I couldn't even comprehend some of the Portal 2 videos and I beat the first one without breaking a sweat. Maybe P2 just has a gentler learning curve.

Carl

Postie just bought my copy, fuck yeah :D

But some knobhead (me) booked an appointment somewhere at 10:30. So i have to go out before i can come home and play. Boo.

Medalion

Banned
big_z said:
There was actually also a lot of loading in the first game, and plus now there is way more stuff happening on screen, bigger environments etc... so I can understand it... we notice it more now because this is not our first exposure to this world that we can rush through the game and encounter these loading screens more, but the first was just as loady screen, and overall shorter.

Evlar

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:
Really? What's all those complaints about it being 3 hours long?
I really can't imagine getting through it in three hours on the first play.

Also, Metacritic's user reviews are currently clogged with people with ulterior motives: /v/-tards bitching about the ARG, the "Don't Turn Off Your Console" text, DLC everyone can ignore, or who knows what other trifle.

Luigi87 said:
Now as far the end of both games go people,
Still Alive
or
Want You Gone
?

I vote for Want You Gone. I think it's a much better song.

Just finished the co-cop campaign. It's really hard to say which is better, that or the SP campaign. They are both SO GOOD.

Complaints about the length of this game are unjustified. Worth every penny.

Rich!

Stuck on the third blue paint puzzle...fuck. There's a ledge really high up, and I can't seem to bounce to it no matter how hard I try. It's the one with the stationary lift and the pillars surrounded by water.

Anyway. Ever since I got to *this* section, I've been getting serious Bioshock vibes. Hmm.

Snuggler said:
just curious, saw a pic, does Chell have a
prosthetic leg?

saw a pic that seemed to suggest so, very interesting, need to get this soon

Nope - spring shoes for jumping from huge heights.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thanks I got an answer before I could edit that out

it sounds like a cool twist for a vg character though, an artificial leg

Morkins

Banned
Phantom Limbs said:
I vote for Want You Gone. I think it's a much better song.

Just finished the co-cop campaign. It's really hard to say which is better, that or the SP campaign. They are both SO GOOD.

Complaints about the length of this game are unjustified. Worth every penny.

I am fine with the length. They gave plenty of puzzles. My complaint(minor one at that... I am by no means "unhappy," just a bit disappointed) has to do with the difficulty... It was too easy. and I wish there were more of the awesome skill/timing based levels... The fact that they dumbed it down since E3 because people were complaining is infuriating to me(they admit this in the Dev. Commentary).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Feep said:
I can't even believe those Metacritic reviews. Who could hate this game (who has actually played it)?

they were done out of protest for some stupid thing on the internet that no one really cares about

Symphonic

Just finished and wow, what an awesome ride. Basically Portal 1 on a much, much larger scale in many different ways. Great stuff, looking forward to DLC and what not.

Also extremely confused as to how people are finishing this in 3 or 4 hours. I played at (what I thought was) a normal pace and it took me 8.

big_z said:
i disliked the loading screen more than the actual loading. something about the in-game hang for a few seconds bothers me less than being pulled out entirely and reminded of a break in the gameplay

Morkins

Banned
Always-honest said:
that's nonsense i think. insecure folks.
A /v/ initiative of professional trolls who decide what the new "anti-gaming" gamer's crusade is going to be just about every week... Sometimes they generate a groundswell and manage to prove that gamers are a bunch of self-entitled pricks, and other times they fail like they have with the anti-Portal 2 crusade... I am glad that they fail as often as they do because it does prove that gamers have SOME sensibility left, and that not everyone has become bitter and unreasonable.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow I just finished the game with the commentary and they address so many little things that seemed odd to me on my first play through.
One entry I really liked was how they tried to make Wheatley's test chambers look like what novices usually do with level making software, stuff like making crudely written words on walls for no reason. i.e. "TEST" in all caps on Wheatley's test rooms.

Jintor

richisawesome said:
Stuck on the third blue paint puzzle...fuck. There's a ledge really high up, and I can't seem to bounce to it no matter how hard I try. It's the one with the stationary lift and the pillars surrounded by water.

Which bit of this chamber?

If it's the bit I got stuck on, remember that you don't need to bounce up to the diagonal bouncing point - you can just launch yourself directly at it. Think with portals!

sykoex said:
Wow I just finished the game with the commentary and they address so many little things that seemed odd to me on my first play through.

I enjoyed the commentary but did it seem to you like it was kind of lacking? I'm basing this off some admittedly hazy and years old memories, but the commentaries for Eps 1, 2, and Portal seemed a lot more robust. There was a lot of emptiness between commentary bubbles in Portal 2, and certain things like new puzzle elements being introduced that I thought would have some kind of design commentary at least, had none. Still, no regrets about that 2nd playthrough though ;D

Oreoleo

Wow the co-op campaign is really spectacular. Had a couple 'duhhhh' moments early on ("you just walk through the portal") but similarly to the SP campaign the difficulty ramps up very nicely leading to at least a couple puzzles that give you pause or leave you utterly stumped for 5 or 10 minutes. But working through through them is a blast. Honestly this is the best co-op experience I've ever had, well done Valve.

Medalion

Banned
Argh I am stuck on a level that should be easy but it's not

I have to find a way to use a laser and light bridges to get to an exit that has to be raised via a cube on a button

In my weird efforts to find a solution I could swear I discovered a hidden room that should not have been accessed by me... it had weird writing inside, it was a dead end, had a bunch of computers and coffee cups inside, I could shoot a portal through a fan grate but when I tried to exit to use the other portal end that whole room dissapeared and closed on me never to let me in again... it was weird and creepy

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sax Russel said:
I enjoyed the commentary but did it seem to you like it was kind of lacking? I'm basing this off some admittedly hazy and years old memories, but the commentaries for Eps 1, 2, and Portal seemed a lot more robust. There was a lot of emptiness between commentary bubbles in Portal 2, and certain things like new puzzle elements being introduced that I thought would have some kind of design commentary at least, had none. Still, no regrets about that 2nd playthrough though ;D
Yeah they definitely skimped. I feel like they might as well just ported you from node to node since some were so far apart. I'm playing Portal 1 commentary right now and there's a node every five feet practically.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I've made it well known in this thread my personal computer experience with Portal2 has been with just about the lowest possible settings.

Well, I just went over to my friends house and watched about 3 hours of it on the PS3.
It looks incredible, it looks great, but I wouldn't give my experience up for anything.

Just hats to Valve, they made a game that jawdrops some drunk dude on his 4yr old Macbook, and blows the doors off some guy's 42in LCD with 600watts of sound. Both equally impressive experiences.

Fuck everything but Valve games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
RIY9c.jpg

I'm speechless. One of the best characters ever! His voice actor is outstanding!! He totally steals GLaDOS the show.

jediyoshi

For giggles while going through the commentary on PC for the first time, I switched to using a controller and enabling 3rd person. sv_cheats 1 -> thirdpersonshoulder

Early chapter 2 third person footage.

Can't wait till they throw up an updated sdk for this. Would love to see a source file or two for the levels themselves. Haven't touched hammer in a while, but I can't fathom how a majority of the stuff came together.

richisawesome said:
Gah, it's hard to explain. It's above two other blue paint puzzles.

I don't know which room it is but in general:
Look around and try to find portable surfaces. Some surfaces have these marks you also see on test dummies, that should give you a hint.
If you can't reach a ledge by bouncing, try to find a higher spot you can drop from (the more you fall, they higher you bounce)
Is there a gel dispenser? If so, look for spots you can place the gel. Perhaps you need a succesion of bounces. Again, look for other portable surfaces

sykoex said:
Yeah they definitely skimped. I feel like they might as well just ported you from node to node since some were so far apart. I'm playing Portal 1 commentary right now and there's a node every five feet practically.

To be fair, a lot of commentary in Portal 1 is about the base mechanics of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the loading in the tutorial rooms was a bit extreme, but as the puzzles have got more difficult and I've spent more times in the room it's less of an issue.

it's funny, playing this game, I find that I'm not comparing it to other video games in my mind. if any other developers released this I'd be in awe, but with Valve it's just this amazing "yep, of course it's this good".

Sn4ke_911 said:
http://i.imgur.com/RIY9c.jpg[IMG]

I'm speechless. One of the best characters ever! His voice actor is outstanding!! He totally steals GLaDOS the show.[/QUOTE]
the bit with the aerial faith plates and the repeated bounce... so good.

Mr. Spinnington said:
i disliked the loading screen more than the actual loading. something about the in-game hang for a few seconds bothers me less than being pulled out entirely and reminded of a break in the gameplay

I agree with this.
I thought the old formula of freezing your game with the words "LOADING" right in the middle of the screen worked fine, and better.

Small gripe, though.

Uchip

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Only if you haven't played the first.

It was definitely designed to ramp up to similar difficulty for players who'd already gone through the original.

yeah
I felt it was easier than the first
having already played the first

jediyoshi said:
For giggles while going through the commentary on PC for the first time, I switched to using a controller and enabling 3rd person. sv_cheats 1 -> thirdpersonshoulder

Early chapter 2 third person footage.

Can't wait till they throw up an updated sdk for this. Would love to see a source file or two for the levels themselves. Haven't touched hammer in a while, but I can't fathom how a majority of the stuff came together.

It's interesting to watch from that perspective. The game could really work well from a 3rd person POV if the camera was zoomed in a little more. Chell would have to be further animated to look less stiff though - the upper body doesn't move at all.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
"Birds are evil" This had me rolling of my seat, and also all of Cave Johnson's lines. This game is so brilliant.

Felt a bit sad when you hear him on the verge of death at his old age

My favorite achievement besides
The Part Where He Kills You
has to be
No Hard Feelings. The turret says, "I'm different!" I thought it was extremely cute.

edit!:
i went to go revisit the turret. it says, "don't make lemonade."
AWESOMEEE
edit #2:
it also talks about Prometheus and how he was punished by the gods for giving the gift of knowledge to man and how he was picked apart by birds.

Sibylus

Banned
big_z said:
I actually somewhat like the frequent loads, because they're so brief. P2 is probably one of the few Source games where I don't have load times above 10 seconds in length.

Error_g

Steam says 12 hours and I've got the single player, co-op and a few commentaries done. I'm content with the length -- even if it were shorter it was just so much fun.

Morkins

Banned
richisawesome said:
Stuck on the third blue paint puzzle...fuck. There's a ledge

If you are talking about the same area that I am thinking about, there are two things that you may be talking about.
A) If you are stuck on the ground with the pillars surrounded by water and don't know how to progress, basically, just look WAY up at the top of the level. There will be one area with a portal surface and a walkway right next to it. Portal that and then portal one of the areas at your ground level. Boom, you are up to the area. From there you can portal directly into the test chamber

B) If you are stuck in the test chamber. Uses portals to spread repulsion gel on the floor in the middle of the room. Then, jump up to a nearby upper level. Then, put a portal to spread repulsion gel there. Then, jump up to the next higher level. From there spread some repulsion gel on the opposite raised ledge, then jump down onto the repulsion gel you spread in the middle. That will bounce you up to the secondary platform, which will bounce you up to the top level. A Emancipation Grid will reset your portals. Set one on the slanted platform, then on under the dropping repulsion gel. That will fling repulsion gel across the room. Then, launch yourself by jumping down and setting a portal so that you come out of the slanted portal and bounce on the repulsion gel you placed.

Morkins said:
A /v/ initiative of professional trolls who decide what the new "anti-gaming" gamer's crusade is going to be just about every week... Sometimes they generate a groundswell and manage to prove that gamers are a bunch of self-entitled pricks, and other times they fail like they have with the anti-Portal 2 crusade... I am glad that they fail as often as they do because it does prove that gamers have SOME sensibility left, and that not everyone has become bitter and unreasonable.
They probably eat fast, cum fast.. just pigs in general.

Top Bottom