• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Is there any way I can easily just play Test Chamber 10 to go for the achievement, without having to play through the chapter (on PC)? Hoping I can just load the map or something.

sam27368

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble with the 360 controller on PC? (please don't reply with why are you using the 360 controller on PC. I prefer it, that's why).
It's enabled and for some reason the game isn't picking it up at all.

Divius

Zenith said:
Can people confirm the 4 hour SP campaign length? "Official" sources said it'd be between double or triple that.
I finished in 6-7 hours.

I highly doubt someone will finish it in 4 hours on their first run.

Zenith said:
Can people confirm the 4 hour SP campaign length? "Official" sources said it'd be between double or triple that.

It took me 8 hours.

Length in puzzle games is a funny old thing, so it's not like you can get an official answer. Depends how good you are at the puzzles they give you.

Morkins

Banned
Zenith said:

Took me 5.5 hours(Closer to 5 honestly, but I don't know the exact amount and it was more than 5). Most puzzles I ripped through almost effortlessly though. 4 or 5 gave me some trouble, but nothing took me any more than 10 minutes of being stuck. I can't see anyone beating it in 4 hours without a walkthrough though. Most people will probably spend 6-8 hours on the SP.

Manik

Apologies if this has already been asked a hundred millions times in this thread already, but I've been trying to stay out of the hype as much as possible to avoid spoilery type things.

I'm wanting to play through the co-op with my fiancée, so was wondering if, if I bought the PS3 version, I'd then be able to activate the 'bonus' PC version and use that at the same time? So she'd be on the PS3 and be able to co-op with me on the PC. Even though I, essentially, only bought one copy. Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Thanks for any help!

Manik said:
Apologies if this has already been asked a hundred millions times in this thread already, but I've been trying to stay out of the hype as much as possible to avoid spoilery type things.

I'm wanting to play through the co-op with my fiancée, so was wondering if, if I bought the PS3 version, I'd then be able to activate the 'bonus' PC version and use that at the same time? So she'd be on the PS3 and be able to co-op with me on the PC. Even though I, essentially, only bought one copy. Does that make sense? Is it possible?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, both you cannot use the PS3 account that's linked to your Steam account. Just use a different PS3 account.

Between SP and Co-op, steam says I've spent 16 hours total. I went back a got a few achievements but nothing that took over an hour. I didn't use a guide, and I played through the game in 2 days. More than half the game the first day, the rest on the second.

I'm content with 16 hours. Plus I'm going to go back for a second SP run, then finish all the commentary.
By that time there will probably be some Advanced Maps (I hope) or maybe some small DLC?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Phantom Limbs said:
Between SP and Co-op, steam says I've spent 16 hours total. I went back a got a few achievements but nothing that took over an hour. I didn't use a guide, and I played through the game in 2 days. More than half the first day, the rest the second.

I'm content with 16 hours. Plus I'm going to go back for a second SP run, then finish all the commentary.
By that time there will probably be some Advanced Maps (I hope) or maybe some small DLC?

"By that time"? As in, the time it takes you to run through SP again and once more with the commentary... so, a couple more days? I doubt it.

plainr_

I just finished Portal 1. What a truly amazing game it is. I would say it is now one of my all time favorite game. Seriously, wtf was I thinking ignoring this game
and Valve
for so long. So fucking glad I played this before Portal 2. Thanks Stuburns.

Can't wait for my copy of P2 now.

syoaran

butter_stick said:
Is there any way I can easily just play Test Chamber 10 to go for the achievement, without having to play through the chapter (on PC)? Hoping I can just load the map or something.

Load the chapter, takes about 5mins to get there from the start when you know what your doing. (Think its Chapter 3). The game is very fast when you've memorised all the puzzles. Just make sure you create a save at the start of the level (quick or otherwise)

For the record, that achievement is a bitch, managed to do it in
72 seconds.....

Manik

OmegaDragon said:
Yes, both you cannot use the PS3 account that's linked to your Steam account. Just use a different PS3 account.
Aha, brilliant, thanks very much for your quick reply Omega :)

Time to go hide back in my cave until Friday!

jediyoshi said:
For giggles while going through the commentary on PC for the first time, I switched to using a controller and enabling 3rd person. sv_cheats 1 -> thirdpersonshoulder

Early chapter 2 third person footage.

Can't wait till they throw up an updated sdk for this. Would love to see a source file or two for the levels themselves. Haven't touched hammer in a while, but I can't fathom how a majority of the stuff came together.
Fuck. Will I ever be able to play 3rd person in the PS3 version? It's great for a replay.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Wow i just played 7 hours straight co-op PS3 and PC. My friend was on the triple and i was on the PC and this game is just all sorts of amazing. What's also cool since my friend got it at gamestop with the dlc costume it seems it transfered onto my game on PC too since we both have the costumes on.

I think so far my only complaint is that i thought if i linked up my steam and psn accounts that the achievements i earned playing on PC with steam would also unlock the trophies when i synced the ps3 version in game.

Guess that just gives me another reason to replay this later after i beat it.

Saty

I've just started Chamber 15th. My main complaint so far is about the difficulty - it's not hard enough. So i'm little disappointed. The challenge doesn't seem to ramp up fast enough.
I understand the need to ease the player in with all the new puzzle elements but i'm afraid it cut backs the portion of the game where they can really step the difficulty up.

I remember Portal 1 being much more taxing but maybe after playing some hard Portal 1 mods i'm a bit 'spoiled'.
Maybe the co-op is indeed harder, but dunno, i just wish they crank the diffculty up or dump you straight into complex chambers without too much explanation. It's a shame Valve needs teach the basics in each game, instead of hitting the ground running for everyone who is well-versed with Portal 1.

Phantom Limbs said:
Between SP and Co-op, steam says I've spent 16 hours total. I went back a got a few achievements but nothing that took over an hour. I didn't use a guide, and I played through the game in 2 days. More than half the game the first day, the rest on the second.

The Steam store says that editing tools will come after launch, so I don't think you would get any new content soon. Or is it possible to use Hammer of something to make these maps? How was it done in Portal 1?

syoaran said:
Load the chapter, takes about 5mins to get there from the start when you know what your doing. (Think its Chapter 3). The game is very fast when you've memorised all the puzzles. Just make sure you create a save at the start of the level (quick or otherwise)

For the record, that achievement is a bitch, managed to do it in
72 seconds.....

Thanks, just got it. I know the map pretty well from failing miserably on it for about 15 minutes first playthrough so it didn't take much to know what to do :p

bryehn

A bit stumped on chamber 19, but up to that point I found it relatively easy even compared to my first Portal playthrough.

Is the co-op story different? And how's the splitscreen?

AwesomeSauce said:
I think so far my only complaint is that i thought if i linked up my steam and psn accounts that the achievements i earned playing on PC with steam would also unlock the trophies when i synced the ps3 version in game.

Guess that just gives me another reason to replay this later after i beat it.
That's strange, I'm getting Trophies and Steam Achievements simultaneously.

bryehn said:
A bit stumped on chamber 19, but up to that point I found it relatively easy even compared to my first Portal playthrough.

Is the co-op story different? And how's the splitscreen?

The co-op story has nothing to do with the single player story, really. I think even saying it has a story is a bit of a stretch. Don't expect anything like the single player in terms of storytelling at least.

Arozay

Just beat co-op in around 3 hours. After the 5 hour main game I was hoping it would be longer. Hopefully they release some official map packs or campaigns or something.

Feindflug

cgcg said:
Some PS3 and X360 comparison shots. X360 looks sub-hd. The AA on the PS3 is pretty insane. Using MLAA?

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/screenshot-comparison-2/portal-2-ps3-vs-xbox-360-screenshot-gallery/

Played the 360 version yesterday and all I have to say is that the gamma/brightness settings are fucked up pretty bad on 360 on default...everyone playing the 360 version should choose the monitor option in the picture options and reduce the brightness a lot to achieve decent blacks and good colors - the game on default looks like a washed out mess with no colors which completely destroys the atmosphere and the depth/crispness of the environments and textures.

The game with the right brightness settings is looking a lot better than the pics above, sure the PS3 version has better IQ due to the MLAA but the 360 version is definitely looking much much better than these screenshots...I seriously can't understand why Valve made so crappy the default settings. :/

Feindflug said:
Played the 360 version yesterday and all I have to say is that the gamma/brightness settings are fucked up pretty bad on 360 on default...everyone playing the 360 version should choose the monitor option in the picture quality and reduce the brightness a lot to achieve decent blacks and good colors - the game on default looks like a washed out mess with no colors which completely destroys the atmosphere and the depth/crispness of the environments and textures.

The game with the right brightness settings is looking a lot better than the pics above, sure the PS3 version has better IQ due to the MLAA but the 360 version is definitely looking much much better than these screenshots...I seriously can't understand why Valve made so crappy the default settings. :/
Will do when I play the game in about eight hours or so. =D

Jintor

The music cues activating as you turn on laser buttons/step into excursion funnels etc is wonderful. Adds a new layer to the sound design.

at chamber
, liking it so far but man the distortion filter or whatever they have put on all the audio is very annoying and takes away from the excellent vo script

JaseC

Jintor said:
The music cues activating as you turn on laser buttons/step into excursion funnels etc is wonderful. Adds a new layer to the sound design.

I'd like to know if that was present in the earlier public builds of the game. It seems like the sort of thing that is added one dreary afternoon on the off-chance it might be awesome, but ends up complimenting the overall package in an amazing way.

Feindflug

Dax01 said:
Will do when I play the game in about eight hours or so. =D

Seriously Dax do it, trust me it makes one hell of a difference...Valve fucked up so hard this one that I seriously think that the game needs a patch fixing this.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:

Got to agree here, the music in this game was phenomenal, and the little details and touches on the layer where the music dynamically changes based on the player's actions on the environment blew my mind. I'm hoping for an official sound track to be released.

zlatko

Banned
Got a few hours in tonight and played a little bit of co-op with a buddy. Overall was having a great time, and the thing that stuck out at me the most was the great soundtrack in the various areas.

I ended up renting the game for PS3, and have been playing on PC the whole time.

What are the loading times like on PS3? My PC is great, and the loading in co-op is a bit idiotic. Lasts around 5-10 seconds while I watch robots run. Single player has a lot of loading screens as well that take me out of the experience. That's my only complaint about the game so far is that the loading times and the amount of them there are should have been cut significantly.

JaseC said:
Still haven't played it? Didn't you get your X360 copy a day ago or some such?
Yeah I picked it up yesterday. See, I'm heading home for Easter break today, from college, and at home I have a 42 inch HDTV with surround sound. Much better than my 20 inch 1080p computer monitor with no surround sound. Wanna have the best experience possible for it.
Feindflug said:
Seriously Dax do it, trust me it makes one hell of a difference...Valve fucked up so hard this one that I seriously think that the game needs a patch fixing this.
This will be the first thing I shall do when I boot up the game!

JaseC said:
It seems like the sort of thing that is added one dreary afternoon on the off-chance it might be awesome, but ends up complimenting the overall package in an amazing way.

I doubt that. I'm not sure, but I think Valve mentioned that they wanted to implement dynamic music during the Ep2 antlion standoff commentaries (they mention that Vortal Combat ends when the antlion fights ends). The Left 4 Dead games make great use of music/sounds changing according to the situation: special infected are announced via a certain tune, the music changes when a horde arrives, music changes when you encounter a witch etc. It's implemented with a clear purpose.

And I agree that the dynamic music and the overall sound design is amazing.

JaseC

Dax01 said:
Yeah I picked it up yesterday. See, I'm heading home for Easter break today, from college, and at home I have a 42 inch HDTV with surround sound. Much better than my 20 inch 1080p computer monitor with no surround sound. Wanna have the best experience possible for it.

You're excused. As you were, test subject!

OmegaDragon said:
I doubt that. I'm not sure, but I think Valve mentioned that they wanted to implement dynamic music during the Ep2 antlion standoff commentaries (they mention that Vortal Combat ends when the antlion fights ends). The Left 4 Dead games make great use of music/sounds changing according to the situation: special infected are announced via a certain tune, the music changes when a horde arrives, music changes when you encounter a witch etc. It's implemented with a clear purpose.

Ah, okay. Save for a bit of Episode Two, I haven't played through any Valve game with the development commentary enabled (I know :() and the Left 4 Dead games aren't my cup of tea, so I wasn't aware they've been experimenting with dynamic audio cues.

Finished it earlier. Really liked it. I'm pretty proud of myself that I beat the whole game on my own and never had to stop and look up the solution to any puzzles.

jediyoshi

Verboten said:
Fuck. Will I ever be able to play 3rd person in the PS3 version? It's great for a replay.

Super unlikely. It breaks the visuals for a lot of the cinematic physics (the opening container scene turns into a big empty rectangle).

Rickard

So, I just beat the light bridge chapters in co-op. (
got the security code
).

So, what amount of the co-op have I done?

I'm starting from the beginning with a friend on friday and I want to know how many tests I won't already know the solution for.

syoaran

jediyoshi said:
Super unlikely. It breaks the visuals for a lot of the cinematic physics (the opening container scene turns into a big empty rectangle).

Yeah for a few of the cutscenes, they put the player into a box outside the level map, with what you see being a camera placed inside the level, then when you gain control again the player and the camera switch back. Playing in 3rd person would break a lot of the maps that have a lot of items thrown about, but don't kill you.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I played a little SP before hitting up the first 2 portions of the co op on PS3. Truly wonderful design. Lots of charm and just as solid a job as Valve could have done. Dark was right when saying that the PC has got the IQ and a few more little things but on PS3, it looks really good. And this seems to run better than Portal did on PC did. They really did a fantastic job of the PS3 to PC connection as it works flawlessly.

Jinaar

Chapter 7, at least 4hrs in. The game is so lovable. The lighting engine blew my mind at some points. Cannot wait to finish it tonight and do CO-OP.

*I did go into the Bot Store.... yikes at how expensive items are. I sort of died inside while being in there*

JaseC

derFeef said:
I knew I am not crazy, Steam timer is broken for this game it seems.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/20/portal-2-in-4-hours-the-steam-timer-is-a-lie/

My timer went up by an hour overnight. Are Valve fixing it? Anybody else's go up?

Edit: During the ARG, I'd leave my games idling overnight and after a random amount of time (typically a few hours or more), Steam would simply stop recording the amount of time played. On some days no additional time was recorded at all. There is definitely something wrong with it at the moment (or was, if Valve have indeed fixed it).

Top Bottom