• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
mandiller said:
I never make it all the way across. I fall just short. Did you make it across by jumping?

Absolutely. Is the gel propelling you into the air as it should?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fuck, spoilers left and right, I have to be careful even scrolling through this thread but, is there any list or reference anywhere of items/achievement items and specific ways of getting them?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, endgame spoilers!
I SHOT A PORTAL AT THE FUCKING MOON!
Fuck that was awesome.

Also,
I really like the end song. Lyrics aren't quite as hot as Still Alive, but the actual tune is really good

Medalion

Banned
I had to turn off the PC version after a bit cuz 1 puzzle was really fucking with me

I went to try out the PS3 version that I originally bought to get this PC version, the game looks good and sounds good but it's obviously not as impressive as the PC one but if you didn't have a powerful computer, it will more than suffice.

Ironically as I played through the game from scratch in PS3 version, I got stuck on a puzzle that I had already completed from my PC take and that felt kinda embarressing... I wonder if the puzzles are exactly the same or some minor differences, though I doubt it.

This game in general review wise from what I've seen is 9/10 for the most part, probably 9.5 on average which is just about right. It is not a perfect game but it is a really great sequel you couldn't have asked for better.

Trickster

Glad that Portal 2 felt much more like the portal that I wanted Portal 1 to be. Still think it's a shame that they're not really trying to focus to much on any kind of real story though. Hopefully Half-Life 3/ EP3 will soon be announced to fix that itch.

RetroMG

Been playing this all day. It's fantastic. I got up to
Chapter 6
and then went back to replay so my wife could watch.

Portal 1 is to Portal 2 as MGS1 is to MGS3. Such a huge leap in quality, it's insane. Easily my GotY so far.

Emitan

Does co-op have any spoilers? I haven't touched it yet because I've devoted all of my spare time to beating single player (OMG ending was awesome).

Trickster

Billychu said:
Does co-op have any spoilers? I haven't touched it yet because I've devoted all of my spare time to beating single player (OMG ending was awesome).

Not really no. If you've completed the single player, why do you care though?

Man, this game looks phenomenal on my PC. I have all the settings on max and not only is it one of the better looking videogames I've ever seen, it doing it at a full 60fps. Long live the Source engine.

I'm on Chapter 7 or 8 right now, don't remember (
i'm in the middle of doing 21 of Whitley's rooms
). I'm finding myself getting stuck more often and it's kind of annoying, not so much where I am right now but in Chapter 6 especially. In Portal 1 the reticle used to tell you which surfaces you can and can't place portals on... I miss that feature.

Emitan

Trickster said:
Not really no. If you've completed the single player, why do you care though?
I wasn't sure if the co-op had any real story or not. I didn't want to go into the spoilers thread and get what might have been a whole different story spoiled for me.

I'm at a loss as to who has laid down the best voice performance here, everyone involved really brought their A game. This will probably go down as one of the most legitimately funny games of all time.

Is the thread title of the spoiler thread a spoiler ? I think I've been spoiled :

Lunacy = close to Lune in french = moon. Aperture Science is on the moon. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Feep

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Is the thread title of the spoiler thread a spoiler ? I think I've been spoiled :
Y4rcO.jpg

You are incorrect.

Emitan

Sgt.Pepper said:
Late game spoilers, for an achievement.

Where do I find the hidden portrait, which I suppose is Caroline?
It's in Chapter
. I think it's near the very beginning.

L00P

LordPhoque said:

Lunacy = close to Lune in french = moon. Aperture Science is on the moon. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The title is kind of a spoiler, but you're way off the mark X)

Played a bit of chapter 1. Casting Merchant was a great choice, and he is as good of a casting choice as Richard Ayoade (if he really was supposed to be cast at one point).

Emitan

canadian crowe said:
Played a bit of chapter 1. Casting Merchant was a great choice, and he is as good of a casting choice as Richard Ayoade (if he really was supposed to be cast at one point).
Merchant was great, but I would love to hear Ayoade's take on it.

Nizz

Wow, I have to hand it to Valve. PS3 version is awesome! Really good image quality, rock solid framerate, and the game is fun as hell. :) Makes me wonder what could have been had they done the Orange Box themselves...

Also noticed that they seem to have tightened up the character movement a bit too. In Portal (really all the Orange Box games) your character kind of feels like he's on ice or roller skates. But in Portal 2 it doesn't really feel like that.

Overall, very happy that I got the game. I'm a little stuck at this one part but I don't remember the chapter number. Going to go back and try again. :)

Co-op is good. Better than the main game I think if you are into this for the puzzles.

Moving a light bridge around using 4 portals can be really crazy. One screwup near the end can make you start a complicated sequence all over from the beginning.

eLGee

On the note of avoiding spoilers... I was looking at the achievement icons on the Steam website to see which I could use as an avatar, and settled on the one I use now. The file name contains a pretty big spoiler, so a word of warning, avoid reading the file name for this icon.

Billychu said:
Merchant was great, but I would love to hear Ayoade's take on it.
David Mitchell would have been a good choice too actually.

Even if you didn't like Portal's gameplay, the game is worth it for the humor. One of the funniest games I've ever played.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
eLGee said:
On the note of avoiding spoilers... I was looking at the achievement icons on the Steam website to see which I could use as an avatar, and settled on the one I use now. The file name contains a pretty big spoiler, so a word of warning, avoid reading the file name for this icon.

Avatars are hosted internally now.

Just finished the single-player game. Wow. Just wow. One of the best games I've played in a long time, and easily a GOTY contender. Hell, it's definitely GOTY at this point. Although with Mass Effect 3 coming out later...

Now I'll need a partner for co-op...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just hit Chapter 6 and... wow.

This game is absolutely incredible.

storl026

So I got the Playstation 3 version today. I linked my PSN account & my Steam account.

I can't log in to PSN because of network errors, but I'm still unlocking trophies. Do you think it'll unlock the respective Steam achievements when I'm able to log back into PSN/Steam?

Nevermind, they do unlock. Hooray!

Nightz

Played a bit of single player, then jumped into co-op with my brother. I was on the PS3 and he was on the PC. No issues whatsoever and it was super fun. Portal 2 is a winner for sure. <3 Valve.

Cipherr

Damn I just started chapter seven. Man this game is GOOD.
I really didn't expect the way that chapter 4 ended and chapter 5 started. That just came out of nowhere.

And to anyone just starting saying the puzzles are easier, your right, but its only because the game is like a billion times longer, you'll get your ass kicked. Just give it time. At this point they are giving zero hints and making even menial tasks take time to figure out, its getting insane.

And lol @ the neogaf steam group. 99% of players online in portal 2.

Sibylus

Banned
12 hours later (though probably an hour or so of that consisted of pausing, and another hour or so was dabbling in coop), and the singleplayer campaign is finished. Got stuck in a few spots, but for the most part it was pure portal bliss. Puzzle game of the decade? Is it too early to call it that?

finally finished.
I SHOT A PORTAL AT THE MOON AND IT WORKED! ASDJNKASD

also, co-op mode is ridiculously fun so far. anyone know which tf2 hats will/won't work with it?

crops55

The first half an hour I have played is continuing proof that the narrative and delivery of dialogue is one of the most lucrative areas of potential for any game that attempts to tell one. Valve's talent on display here is seemingly effortless when you consider how many times they've produced results and with a mute protagonist at that.

Top Bottom