• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Ourobolus

Banned
EVIL said:
exact same thing
Placed portals on every gray area near the entry point and blue vortex tunnel thing (expected to be able to use that to push the turrets off the side), until after 10 to 15 minutes I realized I simply had to portal to the other side and use the bouncy gel
I knew what I had to do to the turrets, it was a simple matter of me being a moron and forgetting the basic concept of the game - using a simple portal to move from one platform to the other one with the gel. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, did everyone have at least one moment where you were like "man, I don't know what to send through my portals....oh wait...I can just walk through them"?

Mine was in Chapter 4 I believe, although I don't recall what puzzle it was.

I had the exact same brain fart EVIL and Ourobolus did. Except instead of 10 minutes, it was more like 20. :p

derFeef

Ourobolus said:
I knew what I had to do to the turrets, it was a simple matter of me being a moron and forgetting the basic concept of the game - using a simple portal to move from one platform to the other one with the gel. :p
Yeah, getting introduced to the new mechanics often let me forget about that portal gun I am wielding.

Fox318

Just finished the game. Awesome. I would have liked a little longer singleplayer but the pacing is so good I didn't mind it.
I can't believe there was only one Half-Life reference in the entire game :(

mclaren777

I didn't enjoy the original Portal because I thought the 'puzzles' were too easy and I felt that the game would have been more fun if your character was under more duress.

Is there any chance that I'll enjoy the sequel given my peculiar position?

Btw, the room with
the Conversion Gel pipe in the middle and the slanted panel with a lamp on it
, how was that supposed to be done? Because I'm pretty sure the way I did it is wrong, it took way too long.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zenith said:
Can people confirm the 4 hour SP campaign length? "Official" sources said it'd be between double or triple that.
Took me about 5. Definitely not double or triple that without some serious form of brain damage.

mclaren777 said:
I didn't enjoy the original Portal because I thought the 'puzzles' were too easy and I felt that the game would have been more fun if your character was under more duress.

Is there any chance that I'll enjoy the sequel given my peculiar position?
Probably not. They're easier this time around, but a lot more fun IMO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Treefingers said:
Btw, the room with
the Conversion Gel pipe in the middle and the slanted panel with a lamp on it
, how was that supposed to be done? Because I'm pretty sure the way I did it is wrong, it took way too long.
Do you mean
the really large one with the smaller square room in the center?

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, did everyone have at least one moment where you were like "man, I don't know what to send through my portals....oh wait...I can just walk through them"?

I had the opposite type of moment. One of the times to knock down a turret it fealt like it took me 10 mintues to realize I could just use the portals to drop a box on it. I fealt so dumb.

DieH@rd

Banned
Finished! Fantastic game. It took me 6hrs, and i found it to be pretty easy. I got stuck briefly only in one test chamber.

Ending was great, song was meeh, cant wait to star playing coop campaign. I expect it to be much harder.

The Technomancer

Treefingers said:
Yeah. That one stumped me for a while and my solution doesn't seem right at all.
There are two rectangular column things that go way high up. Because the gel exits at an angle even if the portal is on a flat surface, you can keep placing portals on your advancing trail of gel on the ground to make a "bridge" of surface over to those two columns, then paint gel all the way to the top, then portal up and jump down, launching yourself up onto the walkway and out

What did you do?

TheExodu5

Banned
Treefingers said:
Probably not. They're easier this time around, but a lot more fun IMO.

I really don't see how the puzzles are easier this time around. The most complicated manoever in Portal 1 was the fling. There's a lot more to consider in Portal 2.

The_Technomancer said:
There are two rectangular column things that go way high up. Because the gel exits at an angle even if the portal is on a flat surface, you can keep placing portals on your advancing trail of gel on the ground to make a "bridge" of surface over to those two columns, then paint gel all the way to the top, then portal up and jump down, launching yourself up onto the walkway and out

What did you do?
Ah so I did the first part right, the
propelling myself up to get to the top platform is what I did wrong then, I did it really tediously slowly building momentum instead of using the column.
Gah it seems so simple now. :p

TheExodu5 said:
I really don't see how the puzzles are easier this time around. The most complicated manoever in Portal 1 was the fling. There's a lot more to consider in Portal 2.

I agree but it seems like playing and beating Portal 1 has prepared me for how to think about puzzles in the second one and I am able to figure them out much faster.

meanwhile my wife who watched me beat the first one says the puzzles look A LOT harder this time.

The_Technomancer said:

Ahaha, yes. As the levels got more complex I seemed to forget the basics and started assuming everything required a more complicated solution than it actually needed. Once you figure some of them out you have a real 'derp' moment, but I love it.

mf.luder

The_Technomancer said:

Hahaha, yeah. I forget which one and I'm like WTF, how the hell, jesus, oh wait *walks through portal*, MISSION COMPLETE.

I really wish there were some really fucked up ones.

PhiLonius

The_Technomancer said:

What did you do?

That was the one puzzle that killed me. Took me forever to figure out.
I knew I had to use the ramp to launch myself but couldn't figure out how to gain enough momentum to do it. I think I pretty much painted the entire room with the gel before it clicked and I figured out to do it that way.

The only test chamber in the game that I still feel unsure about is way in the beginning. It's like the second one where you have a redirection cube and a force field that doesn't let you take the cube into a room to redirect the laser beam. I didn't even end up using the cube as intended - I stood on it to reach a hole in the wall to make portals to redirect the beam.
What makes me think that this could be incorrect is 1. the cube isn't being used as intended (doesn't ever touch a laser) and 2. GLaDOS is completely silent when I "complete" it and enter the elevator. lol I swear I feel like I'm missing something so simple in that room. Either that or it's all in my head.

Aside from that, I didn't really have any problems with the puzzles. Towards the end I had a couple of brain farts due to the fact that I wasn't thinking with gels in mind, but that's about it. Co-op seems to be more challenging so far... if only slightly so.

ToD_

A little bummed that I encounter this constant bug with the PC version. The end of one piece of dialog gets cut off every time there is another chunk of dialog following it. The game seems to run very well other than that. But considering the overall feel of the game heavily depends on the dialog/voice acting it simply takes me out of the game - and it happens constantly (whether it's GlaDOS or the other little robot talking). There were some "solutions" I found on the official forums, but none seem to be working. When I verify the integrity of game data it keeps coming up with 1 file that needs to be reacquired, but steam doesn't seem to be reacquiring anything at all!

I realize this may not be the right forum to ask for tech support, but I simply felt like stating my frustrations here :) Thankfully, the PS3 version is very well done, so I'll play that for the time being. Fingers crossed Valve fixes this.

ultron87

ToD_ said:
A little bummed that I encounter this constant bug with the PC version. The end of one piece of dialog gets cut off every time there is another chunk of dialog following it. The game seems to run very well other than that. But considering the overall feel of the game heavily depends on the dialog/voice acting it simply takes me out of the game - and it happens constantly (whether it's GlaDOS or the other little robot talking). There were some "solutions" I found on the official forums, but none seem to be working. When I verify the integrity of game data it keeps coming up with 1 file that needs to be reacquired, but steam doesn't seem to be reacquiring anything at all!

I realize this may not be the right forum to ask for tech support, but I simply felt like stating my frustrations here :) Thankfully, the PS3 version is very well done, so I'll play that for the time being. Fingers crossed Valve fixes this.

I ran into this issue in the co-op. There was a few times where a chamber's end dialogue got cut off by Glados reacting to a celebration.

I think I got overexposed to Portal or something.

The gameplay is great, but I'm sick to death of gladdos and the writing style. It was much better when I knew absolutely nothing and played Portal 1 from start to finish.

The Technomancer

Smision said:
I think I got overexposed to Portal or something.

The gameplay is great, but I'm sick to death of gladdos and the writing style. It was much better when I knew absolutely nothing and played Portal 1 from start to finish.
I'm....just going to say that I recommend you stick with it. Thats all I'm going to say.

Vyer

Just got started last night. Played a few hours to Ch.3 or 4 and a friend and I did a few levels of co-op. So good.

And damn, this game looks gorgeous.

Revolutionary said:
The only test chamber in the game that I still feel unsure about is way in the beginning. It's like the second one where you have a redirection cube and a force field that doesn't let you take the cube into a room to redirect the laser beam. I didn't even end up using the cube as intended - I stood on it to reach a hole in the wall to make portals to redirect the beam.
What makes me think that this could be incorrect is 1. the cube isn't being used as intended (doesn't ever touch a laser) and 2. GLaDOS is completely silent when I "complete" it and enter the elevator. lol I swear I feel like I'm missing something so simple in that room. Either that or it's all in my head.

I think GlaDOS was 'gone' during that level, IIRC. She says something to that effect when you start it. For the record, I did the same thing in that one.

ToD_

ultron87 said:
I ran into this issue in the co-op. There was a few times where a chamber's end dialogue got cut off by Glados reacting to a celebration.
In my case they get cut off by themselves more often than not. So GLaDOS will cut off her first line with the next one. And this happens every single time when she's scripted to say more lines after another.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awww what's that near beginning of chapter 2 where she tells you
don't take anything with you cause the door beam is broken. I couldn't get the cube out :(

also what's up with the
radios

ultron87

catfish said:
don't take anything with you cause the door beam is broken. I couldn't get the cube out :(

You can get it out. It's one of those "oh, I can just take it through the portal" moments.

dimb

catfish said:
Just leave a portal up top by the exit and jump down to get the cube.

Ourobolus

Banned
Treefingers said:
Ah so I did the first part right, the
propelling myself up to get to the top platform is what I did wrong then, I did it really tediously slowly building momentum instead of using the column.
Gah it seems so simple now. :p
I did this initially at first, but it got way too damn frustrating until I looked up.

Tripwood

Major stuckage! Need help, Chamber 15.

I'm trying to get to the cube, but I can't get on the panels that extend when the button is pressed. I tried to juggle portals and fling my self on it from the opposite wall but fly over or under it and end up dead.
http://i.imgur.com/DnkSN.jpg

woolley

I just beat the campaign and it was amazing. I just have one question about the ending.

In the end GLaDos talked about Caroline being inside of her. Did I miss something in the story? Who is Caroline?

dimb

Tripwood said:

I'm trying to get to the cube, but I can't get on the panels that extend when the button is pressed. I tried to juggle portals and fling my self on it from the opposite wall but fly over or under it and end up dead.
Stand on the button. Let the liquid light highways do the work for you.

Revolutionary said:
You were meant to
place a portal on your side of the field & shoot another through the hole in the glass so you have portals linking the two sides. Then you can take the cube through the portal & redirect the beam, and go back out of the portal to get to the exit.

The Technomancer

Tripwood said:

Total solution:
Use the white panel opposite where the cube lands to create a funnel pushing the cube off and towards the back wall. Then make another funnel beneath it that pushes it back towards you

woolley

Tripwood said:

Use the gravity tube thing.

Ourobolus

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Yeah, I did this too. I can't figure out how you would use the cube as there's no platform tall enough to sit it on so that it can aim at the sensor correctly.

EDIT: Never mind, Treefingers got it.

Tripwood

The_Technomancer said:
Total solution:
Use the white panel opposite where the cube lands to create a funnel pushing the cube off and towards the back wall. Then make another funnel beneath it that pushes it back towards you

Tx, should have seen it really since they make you do this before. Oh well

Dance In My Blood said:
Took me about 5. Definitely not double or triple that without some serious form of brain damage.
It took me about 7-8 hours. What, you didn't explore the environment or wait out every scenario to hear every line? I know that's how I played both games.

Gandie

Tripwood said:

Press the button to extend the panel/get the cube. Stand on the button to activate the blue beam and redirect it to get the cube from the plattform.

hamchan

woolley said:
I just beat the campaign and it was amazing. I just have one question about the ending.

In the end GLaDos talked about Caroline being inside of her. Did I miss something in the story? Who is Caroline?

Cave Johnson spoke in one of his pre recorded messages that if he died early and couldn't upload his personality to an AI his secretary Caroline should be uploaded instead.

Anyways, to the spoiler thread!

This game has a very HL1-ish vibe to it. I had the same feeling when I went through Black Mesa in HL1. It feels pretty incredible, really.

Top Bottom