• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Zeliard

The Lamp said:
Thanks for that. I just tried. Hopefully they're able to recover my account ;_;

Depending on what the issue is they can be relatively quick in resolving things.

That's if they aren't being bogged down now with a bunch of fake tickets by pissed off consumers.

DaBuddaDa

The Lamp said:
Thanks for that. I just tried. Hopefully they're able to recover my account ;_;
If you're being honest about everything you've said and there's nothing nefarious going on with your account, you should have no problems restoring it. Remember that the "support" account is different than your actual "Steam" account.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
loblaw said:
I'd take the DLC talk over to the spoiler thread if I were you.
They are available before you even start playing though... and I haven't finished the SP so that would be dangerous.

DaBuddaDa

Zeliard said:
Depending on what the issue is they can be relatively quick in resolving things.
With a common problem such as "I forgot my password and my e-mail address isn't working," they will simply ask you some other details about the account, like what your credit card number is and what its billing address is. If you answer correctly, they will reset your password and give you a new password so you can log in and go change your e-mail address. This exact situation happened to me about two years ago.

gblues

Banned
spermatic cord said:
It crashed and when I opened up Portal again it asked if I wanted to upload to the cloud or download. I clicked on upload figuring the saves are on my computer but when I start the game again there are no saves.

That message is Steam saying, "Hey, something changed between you and the servers that wasn't done by Steam. Which version is correct: the server version or your local version?" When you told it to use your local version, you erased what was on the cloud and replaced it with what was on your computer. Unfortunately, that meant deleting your cloud save.

When you get that prompt, you should always choose the cloud unless you know for certain that the cloud version is fucked up somehow.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
I also feel the urge to replay this almost right away, and that almost never happens with single player games.

Yeah I feel the same way. I reaaaaallyyy wish there was a hard mode, but I'm very much interested in replaying, if not just for the dialogue.

Zeliard

dollartaco said:
I feel like I owe Chet and Erik something for everything they've done, from OMM to the Portal games. I'm glad things have worked out so well for them. For my sake.

Same. As an old reader of OMM, it warms the cockles of my heart to see these two doing fine work at a company like Valve.

DaBuddaDa said:
With a common problem such as "I forgot my password and my e-mail address isn't working," they will simply ask you some other details about the account, like what your credit card number is and what its billing address is. If you answer correctly, they will reset your password and give you a new password so you can log in and go change your e-mail address. This exact situation happened to me about two years ago.

Is it a similar process if your Steam account's been hijacked? I imagine those are resolved fairly quickly as well for obvious reasons (hasn't happened to me fortunately).

took me about 15 minutes to get into
the Aperture facility, where you have to go through the Aperture logo
. Kept trying to propel myself all over, but got nowhere. Finally found it, and felt so stupid, heh.

Even though we have Portal on The Orange Box (a title I no longer own), I would really love for Valve to put Portal: Still Alive on the PlayStation Store.

Please, Valve!

aristotle

Is the steam store for P2 not available at all on the PS3 version? I would love to earn things on steam and be able to use it on my PS3.

ultron87

My only complaint with the game so far is that there are a few too many times where you're stuck in an area and have to just search the background for a patch of portallable wall.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dacvak said:
I was pretty stoked at the huge package that arrived in my office today.

http://dacvak.imgur.com/Y9AE4#0xsRn (gallery)
Oh my god this is all so awesome! I want all of those shirts D: Lucky man.

Asking again, is there any wiki or anything where I can find out how to unlock (via achievements or otherwise) specific items for coop bot customization?

careksims

Played tons of co-op with a bud last night. One of the best/funniest gaming moments I ever had. Love the great emphasis on team work.

snoopeasystreet said:
Anyone see that super 8 trailer in the extras menu.

I thought it was a bit scummy before I clicked it but it's actually pretty cool.
Where is this located in the PS3 version?I have no "extras" option. Do I have to finish the game?

creid

So I could only briefly sign in to PSN last night, and afterwards kept getting error 80710092. Today I keep trying to sign in on playstation.com but I get:

Site Maintenance Notice

The server is currently down for maintenance.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

I see a lot of people posting about the same error on twitter, yet I see people posting on the PS Blog, so it obviously isn't a universal problem. Anyone able to coop on PSN yesterday?

Exuro

Pookaki said:
Finished the co-op last night.

The last puzzle is really awesome. 10/10 co-op experience.
That one took my friend and I forever to figure out the last part. Felt like geniuses afterwards.

Helmholtz

Just finished it. Really, really good game. Makes the first one look like a joke.
As others have said I think the pacing was spot on. None of the areas or gameplay mechanics overstayed their welcome, and there were a good amount of surprises and breaks in the game that made it always seem fresh. There was only around one puzzle that I didn't enjoy solving in the game, but otherwise they were pretty damn solid. It's basically everything I wanted from a sequel to Portal.
Edit: I finished at around 9 hours (includes a little bit of afking and getting stuck on some parts). Haven't touched the co-op yet but I look forward to it.

enewtabie

I have to say this game is so good. Just got to play for a few mins last night
but it's so fun to play and it's pretty funny too.
Would like to play some co-op on psn or steam. Add me enewtabie is the screen name.
Guess I need to go back and play the first one some more though as I didn't really know what I was getting into when I bought it.

Nizz

creid said:
So I could only briefly sign in to PSN last night, and afterwards kept getting error 80710092. Today I keep trying to sign in on playstation.com but I get:

I see a lot of people posting about the same error on twitter, yet I see people posting on the PS Blog, so it obviously isn't a universal problem. Anyone able to coop on PSN yesterday?
Same thing happened to me last night. I was trying to sync my trophies. Couldn't get online at all. Tried to log into playstation.com but got that same message about being down for maintenance.

Anyone else having problems with their loadout? I've been getting "Loadout Unavailable - Could Not Connect to Steam" every time I've tried to access it.

still waiting for the game.......
Portal%202%281%29.jpg

I guess end game spoilers? But not really. Just a feature spoiler I guess... I'll just tag it anyways.
So are there no challenge rooms in this one this time? I can't find any...

SteveWinwood said:
I guess end game spoilers? But not really. Just a feature spoiler I guess... I'll just tag it anyways.
So are there no challenge rooms in this one this time? I can't find any...
Nope, not yet at least.

Just finished the game, my quick thoughts:

Technology
  • Huge improvement over Portal and the best look (and performing) Source game to date. I had it running at 1080p w/everything at max and 4xAA and it smooth the whole way through on my lowly PC. I was one of those people who thought Source wasn't aging very well... well, that was before this. It gives me hope for Episode 3.

Test Chambers
  • In the first game, the gun reticule would tell you whether a surface could have a portal put on it or not. I really missed that feature, especially in
    Chapter 6.
  • Some of the later test chambers were real head-scratchers and took me forever to do, got frustrating.
  • Some of the new elements I loved (
    light-bridge, gels
    ) but others I hated (
    that wind tunnel thing
    ).

Audio and Music
  • Fantastic all around. I absolutely loved
    the music the light bridges made when you got real close to them.
  • The voice acting was very, very good, but...
    I kind of missed how computerized the voice acting was in the first game, in Portal 2 it sounds more "normal".

Story
  • Everything is more fleshed out,
    and going through the history of Aperture was interesting, even if it was completely illogical ("Hey guys, it's the 70s now, let's build a new building on top of the building we used in the 60s and leave everything there.")
  • Significantly longer than the first game, which was a criticism I had about the first one.
  • No Half-Life connections, except for a mention of Black Mesa,
    which was disappointing.

Vorador

Banned
Forkball said:
That's the one with the two pipes right next to each other and a bunch of small little areas right? This one is pretty tricky but fun to solve. I can't remember the entire solution, but you can put portals right below the gel and throw them in other areas. What you need to do is put a portal under the blue gel, and then put one on the panel on the floor in the "button area." Do this before you put the cube on it. On the upper walkways, with the one with the arrows, put red paint, and even higher there is a small ramp, put blue paint on that. When you get the cube (I forgot how, sorry), put it on the button and it moves a panel that you poured with blue paint earlier, and then run through the area you doused with red gel, bounce off the blue ramp, then the blue panel, and voila you made it.

Thanks for the help. After turning the game off for an hour and do something else, i got back to it and finally understood what i needed to do. Much less difficult than i imagined, it was the level layout that was confusing me.

stuminus3

Dilly said:
That's like the first or second chapter?

A long time.
No it isn't. Not even close. I'm on chapter 5 and that hasn't happened yet. So I just read the spoiler because I thought it was something I'd already seen. I haven't. >:-(

I should bail out of the internet until I'm done with this.

Dilly

Banned
stuminus3 said:
No it isn't. Not even close. I'm on chapter 5 and that hasn't happened yet. So I just read the spoiler because I thought it was something I'd already seen. I haven't. >:-(

I should bail out of the internet until I'm done with this.

Huh, mixed up my chapters there, sorry. :(

Okay I have an annoying problem.

Whenever I play as P-body (Orange) in co-op, I get unbearable lag.

However playing as Atlas (Blue) I never get this problem.

This has happened only with my two friends I've tried co-op with.

I've not had the chance to be P-body when playing with randoms.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Treefingers said:
Nope, not yet at least.
Also potential end game spoilers ->
Thats really really disappointing, I don't care at all about the lack of half-life references, but I do want some harder alternate puzzles. Guess I can wait for map packs or something.

Requeim

This game is pretty good, some of the puzzles really threw me for a loop and the gels were a great addition to the game i think.

That said, i do have some problems with it, mostly with the humor. I thought this went way overboard with some of the jokes, to the point where a lot of it feels very forced. The stuff in the first portal felt a bit more subtle at times, and way toned down (in frequency more than anything), and as a result better (to me). "Hahah, you walked into my trap except you just escaped except hahah there's another trap" etc. you can only hear that stuff so many times before it gets downright annoying. Also, get ready to hear
potato and moon/space
jokes everywhere for the next 5 years! (sigh). Some of the signs were hilarious though, i'll give them that.

I also wish this didn't focus so much on the characters, because i don't really think the game needs them at all. Same with the story, but then again, that wasn't the reason i liked the first game.

TL;DR - Gameplay, mechanics and music are awesome, humor, story and characters along with the focus on them, not so much

Top Bottom