• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dance In My Blood said:
Just leave a portal up top by the exit and jump down to get the cube.
FUUUUU

can't go back with autosaves or new games either. :/

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dragonlife29 said:
It took me about 7-8 hours. What, you didn't explore the environment or wait out every scenario to hear every line? I know that's how I played both games.
You can't really skip dialogue (elevator rides will keep going until dialogue is done), and I explored the environment enough to find a number of hidden areas.

Treefingers said:
You were meant to
place a portal on your side of the field & shoot another through the hole in the glass so you have portals linking the two sides. Then you can take the cube through the portal & redirect the beam, and go back out of the portal to get to the exit.
-facepalm
Well, at least I got past it in my own stupid way. lol

dragonlife29 said:
It took me about 7-8 hours. What, you didn't explore the environment or wait out every scenario to hear every line? I know that's how I played both games.

Ya, took me 7 hours. Stopped and listened to dialogue. Explored and found secret stuff (which happened to give me various achievements). I really don't see how someone could beat it in 4 hours. I can see 5 hours if someone saw how to do all the puzzles immediately (a lot of the puzzles initially got me hung up just trying to survey the landscape for where I was supposed to portal stuff). If by some craziness you beat it in 4 hours you really missed out on a lot of stuff.

hamchan

Yeah 6.7 hours while stopping to listen to every dialogue, not even dare moving because I didn't want to miss it lol. Game is not long but it's one of the best games of the year so far.

dragonlife29 said:
What, you didn't explore the environment or wait out every scenario to hear every line? I know that's how I played both games.

Same. With games like this I tend to explore and soak in all the details.

Dance In My Blood said:
You can't really skip dialogue (elevator rides will keep going until dialogue is done), and I explored the environment enough to find a number of hidden areas.
You most certainly can skip/miss dialogue if you're a hasty player. I know about the elevator continuing until the current dialogue finishes, but that's not really what I meant. I'm talking about instances where you have to do something in order to proceed, usually while being egged on.

I wait until I hear the same lines repeat to know it's safe to proceed. Part of the charm the series has for me is the writing/dialogue. It'd be a crime if I didn't hear as much of it as possible.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dance In My Blood said:

you can miss plenty of dialogue.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The_Technomancer said:
I also feel the urge to replay this almost right away, and that almost never happens with single player games.

Same. I looked through the achievement list to see what I missed and immediately started up a new game to get them.

Here's the thing: I don't care about achievements.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
levious said:
you can miss plenty of dialogue.
"Plenty" is an over-statement. There are specific instances of dialogue that need to be triggered by doing something out of the ordinary. These are very easy to find by and large, and my real point was that you could still get all that and run the game through in 5 hours.
dragonlife29 said:
You most certainly can skip/miss dialogue if you're a hasty player. I know about the elevator continuing until the current dialogue finishes, but that's not really what I meant. I'm talking about instances where you have to do something in order to proceed, usually while being egged on.

I wait until I hear the same lines repeat to know it's safe to proceed. Part of the charm the series has for me is the writing/dialogue. It'd be a crime if I didn't hear as much of it as possible.
I'm not a hasty player. I did the same thing as you to chew out all the available content by not acting out requests from other characters right away. The game still took me five hours.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dance In My Blood said:
"Plenty" is an over-statement. There are specific instances of dialogue that need to be triggered by doing something out of the ordinary. These are very easy to find by and large, and my real point was that you could still get all that and run the game through in 5 hours.

I'm not arguing anything about length, just that you were incorrect in saying you couldn't really skip dialogue. Just look at the boss battle from the first game alone, knowing what to do and playing through it efficiently, you'd probably only get a third of what glados would potentially say, maybe even less.

Vorador

Banned
I'm currently stumped on Chapter 7 on
the 3º or so puzzle of the 1972 batch, after one that had me combining blue and orange gel to make a jump trough a chasm (and use a portal to pass trough a pillar midjump)

On a room with multiple small rooms and two pumps that spit blue or orange gel one at a time. Still wondering how they interconnect. This is going to take a while.

My GOTY so far. Truly amazing game on all levels.

woolley

Well I just beat the campaign and have the rest of the day free so does anyone wanna play co-op with me? Ideally someone who hasn't played through it already.

Steam: Woolley61 PSN: Wo_OLL3Y

loblaw said:
Still really confused at how people finished the game so quickly. Did you guys no explore at all?

I found some secret rooms and walked around... got stuck 2 or three times and still beat the game in 5ish hours.

There's a lot of weird dialogue you get by pressing buttons on random doors in out of the way places. Also, don't use the steam timer to gauge how long you've played. It's always wrong on every game.

BeeDog

My PS3 copy arrived earlier today, and so I have reached the area where (spoilers)
Wheately initiates the escape sequence and then he lights up the dark area.
The game has been really good so far, and is much more fulfilling/pleasing/whatever you'd call it than Portal 1. The PS3 port is damn good; slowdown doesn't occur often at all, and the IQ is really great. The Steam integration is swell as well. So far, I'm very pleased.

Sanic

I'm a bit into Chapter 4 and the puzzles are so easy that it's almost hampering my enjoyment of the game.

I mean, I love the the story, the world. The game is overflowing with character. But that's the problem: the story, etc. feel like the only reason i'm playing right now. As far as the gameplay is concerned, I feel like i'm just going through the motions as
GlaDOS
makes some kind of joke that becomes less funny with each test chamber. Hopefully things pick up.

Symphonic

Pandoracell said:
I'm a bit into Chapter 4 and the puzzles are so easy that it's almost hampering my enjoyment of the game.

I mean, I love the the story, the world. The game is overflowing with character. But that's the problem: the story, etc. feel like the only reason i'm playing right now. As far as the gameplay is concerned, I feel like i'm just going through the motions as
GlaDOS
makes some kind of joke that becomes less funny with each test chamber. Hopefully things pick up.

Hang in there, dude. You'll get what you want.

mxgt

Banned
Just finished it. Glorious.

Loved every second and it's been a long time since I've felt that way about a game.

TheExodu5

Banned
I took my time and it took around 7 hours.

It was a perfect length for me, honestly. I prefer an extremely high quality condensed story than a long drawn out one. Episode Two vs. Half-Life 2 is a great example of this. Valve have become the masters of pacing at this point. With Episode Two and Portal 2, they've gotten it down to a science.

When Portal 2 finished, it was just enough to satisfy my appetite, but short enough to leave me wanting a bit more. It was a great feeling. Now, I'm satisfying that appetite by playing co-op and going for achievements. My only disappointment is the lack of challenge rooms...I was looking forward to highly technical portaling like in the first game.

I was unhappy about the inclusion of a cosmetics store at first, but now I realize its there for them to justify giving us free content patches in the future. I hope we see some awesome content from Valve soon!

Symphonic

The_Technomancer said:
In terms of content I find it highly likely that Valve has DLC plans for the game for the next few years.

I think they've said that they're going to be pumping stuff out. They're also going to add user-created content at some point as well.

PhiLonius

woolley said:
Well I just beat the campaign and have the rest of the day free so does anyone wanna play co-op with me? Ideally someone who hasn't played through it already.

Steam: Woolley61 PSN: Wo_OLL3Y

Will add you. Haven't had a chance to go through co-op yet.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
I was unhappy about the inclusion of a cosmetics store at first, but now I realize its there for them to justify giving us free content patches in the future. I hope we see some awesome content from Valve soon!

The reason the store doesn't bother me is because it doesn't remove legitimate content. That's where my big beef with a lot of DLC is - that you can only get access to content you should already have by paying, or worse, that content has been specifically removed from the game in order to charge as DLC.

If devs and publishers want to put up some shitty store that limits itself to selling hideously overpriced cosmetic items that only fools would buy, I say, more power to you. Milk away.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Finished it.

8hours
Loved it
Last half och chapter 6 and almost entire 7 were imo ( duh ) a blemish on an otherwise masterpiece of a game.

What happened to the vacuum tubes? Are they in co-op, or were they dropped from the game. Kind of pissed me off because I was waiting for them to be introduced, and the next thing I know I'm at the end.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
The reason the store doesn't bother me is because it doesn't remove legitimate content. That's where my big beef with a lot of DLC is - that you can only get access to content you should already have by paying, or worse, that content has been specifically removed from the game in order to charge as DLC.

If devs and publishers want to put up some shitty store that limits itself to selling hideously overpriced cosmetic items that only fools would buy, I say, more power to you. Milk away.

Yeah, the way I can see it, it's just letting people other than me fund more content.

I was close to buying it though, after Valve gave me all the free content for getting the Golden Potato, just to support. I decided against it since I might as well buy a friend a copy of Portal 2 instead.

Forkball

Vorador said:
I'm currently stumped on Chapter 7 on
the 3º or so puzzle of the 1972 batch, after one that had me combining blue and orange gel to make a jump trough a chasm (and use a portal to pass trough a pillar midjump)

On a room with multiple small rooms and two pumps that spit blue or orange gel one at a time. Still wondering how they interconnect. This is going to take a while.

My GOTY so far. Truly amazing game on all levels.

That's the one with the two pipes right next to each other and a bunch of small little areas right? This one is pretty tricky but fun to solve. I can't remember the entire solution, but you can put portals right below the gel and throw them in other areas. What you need to do is put a portal under the blue gel, and then put one on the panel on the floor in the "button area." Do this before you put the cube on it. On the upper walkways, with the one with the arrows, put red paint, and even higher there is a small ramp, put blue paint on that. When you get the cube (I forgot how, sorry), put it on the button and it moves a panel that you poured with blue paint earlier, and then run through the area you doused with red gel, bounce off the blue ramp, then the blue panel, and voila you made it.

And about the store, they are obviously modeling it after the Mann Co. store in TF2. For those who don't play TF2, it's basically a microtransaction store, however you can obtain every item in the store for free (except for one type of paint) via gameplay. The TF2 store has proven crazy successful, so of course Valve would want something similar in Portal 2.

However, this can be a good thing since it really hints that Valve is going to continue enhancing and updating co-op. I think it's inevitable since once you complete co-op, I'm not sure what's the motivation to do it again since solving the solution together is the big draw. For something they've pushed so hard, it would be silly for them to just abandon it.

But yes, get ready for future Portal 2 updates that are nothing but skins/hats.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, the way I can see it, it's just letting people other than me fund more content.

I was close to buying it though, after Valve gave me all the free content for getting the Golden Potato, just to support. I decided against it since I might as well buy a friend a copy of Portal 2 instead.

If you're going to buy any of those items at some point you should buy them all in one swoop at like 50% off or whatever that deal is. Seems more logical than having them nickel-and-dime you with the crazy individually priced items.

I'm not touching it, personally. :p But that's a good point about having others fund content. Hopefully that means when they release something substantial, they'll keep it free. Would be very un-Valve-like if they didn't.

Psy-Phi

dragonlife29 said:

I waited for all of those as well, and did the silly things requested of me. Steam still says I took 6hours. I could have swore it was 7, but maybe it doesn't take the escape/pause & shift-tab screens into consideration? Because I kept chatting with friends throughout.

Symphonic

PrivateWHudson said:
What happened to the vacuum tubes? Are they in co-op, or were they dropped from the game. Kind of pissed me off because I was waiting for them to be introduced, and the next thing I know I'm at the end.

They were dropped from the game, they say something about it in the commentary. I Was disappointed as well.

The Lamp

So I couldn't buy this game even if I wanted.

For some reason my Steam account is telling me that my computer is a "new machine" and I need to authorize it. For that I need a PIN from my email.

My email's gotten messed up and I can't access it, and the password recovery services aren't working.

Welp, there goes everything....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The fact there is a store item just proves that there willl be long term support in-terms of playable content. As it stands, I doubt many people would buy the stuff when there are only 4 hours of co-op levels to show your new items off in. The more content you have to show off the items in, the more tempting they become to purchase.

hamchan

spermatic cord said:
What the hell steam just deleted all my saves. I was all the way up until chapter 7. Ugh, anyone know of a way to skip straight to chapter 7?

Er how did that happen? I don't think steam just deletes saves willy nilly. Shouldn't the save also be on the steam cloud?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TheExodu5 said:
I took my time and it took around 7 hours.

It was a perfect length for me, honestly. I prefer an extremely high quality condensed story than a long drawn out one. Episode Two vs. Half-Life 2 is a great example of this. Valve have become the masters of pacing at this point. With Episode Two and Portal 2, they've gotten it down to a science.

When Portal 2 finished, it was just enough to satisfy my appetite, but short enough to leave me wanting a bit more. It was a great feeling. Now, I'm satisfying that appetite by playing co-op and going for achievements. My only disappointment is the lack of challenge rooms...I was looking forward to highly technical portaling like in the first game.

I haven't finished the SP yet, but there should be something said about replayability. Linear action games are a lot more replayable than linear puzzle games. I couldn't even get through a replay of Portal for the commentary, which was actually pretty interesting a lot of the time. I have the same problem with Amnesia.

I did finish the coop, which took me about 5-6 hours with my old college roommate in one sitting. That was an absolute blast.

I suspect this game will end with 12 hours of total playtime between both modes, which I feel good paying $45 for at this level of quality. I expect free challenge maps for coop coming as well, since I have no idea how they expect to sell their hats and gestures and shit otherwise.

Seriously though, how does that DLC make sense? And why is it so overpriced?

Symphonic

BobsRevenge said:
I haven't finished the SP yet, but there should be something said about replayability. Linear action games are a lot more replayable than linear puzzle games. I couldn't even get through a replay of Portal for the commentary, which was actually pretty interesting a lot of the time. I have the same problem with Amnesia.

I did finish the coop, which took me about 5-6 hours with my old college roommate in one sitting. That was an absolute blast.

I suspect this game will end with 12 hours of total playtime between both modes, which I feel good paying $45 for at this level of quality. I expect free challenge maps for coop coming as well, since I have no idea how they expect to sell their hats and gestures and shit otherwise.

Seriously though, how does that DLC make sense? And why is it so overpriced?

I'd take the DLC talk over to the spoiler thread if I were you.

hamchan said:
Er how did that happen? I don't think steam just deletes saves willy nilly. Shouldn't the save also be on the steam cloud?
It crashed and when I opened up Portal again it asked if I wanted to upload to the cloud or download. I clicked on upload figuring the saves are on my computer but when I start the game again there are no saves.

dk_

Nice game so far, but why are there loading screens... at all? Why can't these tiny levels be streamed like in other games?

I feel like I owe Chet and Erik something for everything they've done, from OMM to the Portal games. I'm glad things have worked out so well for them. For my sake.

Top Bottom