• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

AniHawk

i had the free shipping thing set on amazon and my copy actually came in today. amazon said it'd ship on the 26th at the earliest.

Sanic

The closer I get to the end of the game, the more I wish (early game spoilers, about 1hr in?)
they didn't spend ~1.5hrs rehashing Portal 1 with GlaDOS in the test chambers. When the game's only ~6hrs long, that's a significant chunk of game time that was, to me, wholly uninteresting. It wasn't boring, but unstimulating. I mean, gels so far are awesome, but they aren't introduced until you're more than halfway through the game. Cut out the (to me at least) filler and give us more of that stuff.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
cnizzle06 said:
Dacvak said:
I was pretty stoked at the huge package that arrived in my office today.

http://dacvak.imgur.com/Y9AE4#0xsRn (gallery)
That's hella awesome.

You don't intend on giving any of that away...

do you?
Yeah, actually. I'll be giving it all away on my website. Don't really know how, yet, though. Haven't thought of a good contest or anything.

Slavik81

Pandoracell said:
The closer I get to the end of the game, the more I wish (early game spoilers, about 1hr in?)
they didn't spend ~1.5hrs rehashing Portal 1 with GlaDOS in the test chambers. When the game's only ~6hrs long, that's a significant chunk of game time that was, to me, wholly uninteresting. It wasn't boring, but unstimulating. I mean, gels so far are awesome, but they aren't introduced until you're more than halfway through the game. Cut out the (to me at least) filler and give us more of that stuff.
The game would be impossible for new players without the rampup.

cnizzle06

Banned
Dacvak said:
Yeah, actually. I'll be giving it all away on my website. Don't really know how, yet, though. Haven't thought of a good contest or anything.

Freakin awesome.

I need to get a hold of that signed poster...or at least a shirt.

*suddenly realizes the shame in his nerdy priorities*

Sanic

Slavik81 said:
The game would be impossible for new players without the rampup.

Should have just included Portal 1 for free and instructed everyone to play that first if they haven't ;).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
I doubt there will be that much drama, however. I mean, that was HL2.
It doesn't matter. It's almost guranteed he will cover the ARG and interview a lot of the indie devs and stuff and it will be fucking great and exactly what I wanted.

Pandoracell said:
Should have just included Portal 1 for free and instructed everyone to play that first if they haven't ;).
They did on Steam if you preordered it. So I guess they should have just made it mandatory.

Stallion Free said:
It doesn't matter. It's almost guranteed he will cover the ARG and interview a lot of the indie devs and stuff and it will be fucking great and exactly what I wanted.

Of course I agree. I was simply saying that the HL2 piece is probably the most interesting behind-the-scenes writing on the video games industry you'll find.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
Of course I agree. I was simply saying that the HL2 piece is probably the most interesting behind-the-scenes writing on the video games industry you'll find.
Until we get The Final Hours of Episode Three.

creid

stuminus3 said:
No it isn't. Not even close. I'm on chapter 5 and that hasn't happened yet. So I just read the spoiler because I thought it was something I'd already seen. I haven't. >:-(
Ditto this :(

DKehoe

Is the 360 version noticeably worse than the PC and PS3 ones? I ordered it on 360, which I played and enjoyed the original Portal on, without really thinking about it but now I'm starting to wish I had ordered the PS3 one. It's too late now to change it, just wondered what those playing on 360 think. I'm not really that much of a graphics whore so minor differences in graphics quality aren't that big a factor to me. I would look through the thread but I went into media blackout for this game and would prefer to know as little as possible about the actual experience of the game.

Feindflug

DKehoe said:
Is the 360 version noticeably worse than the PC and PS3 ones? I ordered it on 360, which I played and enjoyed the original Portal on, without really thinking about it but now I'm starting to wish I had ordered the PS3 one. It's too late now to change it, just wondered what those playing on 360 think. I'm not really that much of a graphics whore so minor differences in graphics quality aren't that big a factor to me. I would look through the thread but I went into media blackout for this game and would prefer to know as little as possible about the actual experience of the game.

The PS3 has better IQ but that's about it - game looks good and plays fine on 360 so don't worry about it, just make sure to lower a lot the brightness levels and choose the monitor option in the game settings before playing...the default gamma/brightness setting is horrendous.

DKehoe

Feindflug said:
The PS3 has better IQ but that's about it - game looks good and plays fine on 360 so don't worry about it, just make sure to lower a lot the brightness levels and choose the monitor option in the game settings before playing...the default gamma/brightness setting is horrendous.
Thanks for the advice, apreciate it.

Nabs

So, I guess I've been playing P2 with textures on low or something. I guess mat_picmip reverts to 1 whenever I load a map. Even more reason to replay it now.

DKehoe said:

Game runs just as well as other Valve games on the 360... no hindrance what-so-ever.

The IQ might be a different story though. The 360 version still looks good, however.

traveler

Not Wario
That final hours thing reminds me- Valve should really do another "Raising the Bar" coffee table style book with tales of development and lots of concept art. I realize the appeal may be limited, but I'd sure as hell jump at the chance to get a Portal 2 one.

Salsa

traveler said:
That final hours thing reminds me- Valve should really do another "Raising the Bar" coffee table style book with tales of development and lots of concept art. I realize the appeal may be limited, but I'd sure as hell jump at the chance to get a Portal 2 one.

I would sell my car if i had to

Just beat the co-op as well as the single player now, I feel like making the endings cut scenes was the only blemish on this brilliant game.
Maybe you can justyfy it by saying the singleplayers ending was too big in scope to be in engine but there is no justification for the co-op ending being a cut scene, would have been so much more 'epic' if you saw all those humans in game.

Oreoleo

I came up with a legitimate complaint about the game you guys!

In co-op, Atlas' portals are way too similarly colored. P-Body has very obvious yellow and red portals, but Atlas' are light blue and dark blue. Something wrong with green, Valve? Made communicating in co-op slightly tedious.

masterkajo

Quick stupid question - because I got into the ARG way too late. Is it still possible to buy the Potato Sack (still missing 5 games) and get the potatos in order to get the valve complete pack? I guess not but a man can dream, right?

Mairu

The only thing interfering with my enjoyment of the game is my own issues with Valve's standard FOV. I'm getting headaches after a couple hours of play just like I did with Half-Life 2, and I started to remember how the field of view on HL2 is smaller than the average FPS. It's likely the same for Portal 2, and an explanation for why I sometimes start to feel sick after a couple hours of play :(

j3hg00

masterkajo said:
Quick stupid question - because I got into the ARG way too late. Is it still possible to buy the Potato Sack (still missing 5 games) and get the potatos in order to get the valve complete pack? I guess not but a man can dream, right?

Nope. You can probably purchase the pack if it's still on sale, but you can no longer earn potatoes for your profile page.

Kay, I started the game and saves a little into Chapter 2. Chamber five I think.

Is Wheatley dead? Please don't tell me he's dead! He can't be dead! He shouldn't be dead! Please tell me he's not dead. When GLaDOS was waking up, I was yelling at the TV, "Wheatley! Wheatley!"

Up until that point I was really enjoying it. Now I have reservations because
GLaDOS and Chell are playing the exact same roles they were in the first game, and to be honest, it's feeling repetitive to me. Especially after all of those previous chambers in chapter 1 that were taken from Portal 1 and given some graphical improvements (and, of course, updated art). I hope the game changes up soon story-wise and such. Because of the end of the first game and the beginning of this game, I'd thought we'd be going along at a faster pace.

The lighting in this game is FANTASTIC. I love it so much. The writing is as clever and witty in the first game.

Overall, really enjoying it so far.

Edit: My expectations for the game's pacing could have something to do with my feelings. I'll be that's it.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Gel is awesome. Not agreeing with some of the sentiment in regards to the later chapers. Feels even more like a new game than the earlier test chamber parts.

traveler

Not Wario
Dax01 said:
Kay, I started the game and saves a little into Chapter 2. Chamber five I think.

Is Wheatley dead? Please don't tell me he's dead! He can't be dead! He shouldn't be dead! Please tell me he's not dead. When GLaDOS was waking up, I was yelling at the TV, "Wheatley! Wheatley!"

Up until that point I was really enjoying it. Now I have reservations because
GLaDOS and Chell are playing the exact same roles they were in the first game, and to be honest, it's feeling repetitive to me. Especially after all of those previous chambers in chapter 1 that were taken from Portal 1 and given some graphical improvements (and, of course, updated art). I hope the game changes up soon story-wise and such. Because of the end of the first game and the beginning of this game, I'd thought we'd be going along at a faster pace.

The lighting in this game is FANTASTIC. I love it so much. The writing is as clever and witty in the first game.

Overall, really enjoying it so far.

Just keep going. :)

Mairu said:
The only thing interfering with my enjoyment of the game is my own issues with Valve's standard FOV. I'm getting headaches after a couple hours of play just like I did with Half-Life 2, and I started to remember how the field of view on HL2 is smaller than the average FPS. It's likely the same for Portal 2, and an explanation for why I sometimes start to feel sick after a couple hours of play :(
Can't you tweak the FoV in-game? I know you can in Portal 1.

Cartman86

Banned
Orellio said:
I came up with a legitimate complaint about the game you guys!

In co-op, Atlas' portals are way too similarly colored. P-Body has very obvious yellow and red portals, but Atlas' are light blue and dark blue. Something wrong with green, Valve? Made communicating in co-op slightly tedious.

I would call it purple. Color issues on TV?

Top Bottom