• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

AvidNobody said:
So I got this in the mail today, and played up to almost the end of chapter 8 by the looks of it.

I'm at (late game spoilers)
chamber 16 if I recall correctly, and I'm getting nearer and nearer to wheatley

Can anyone tell me how long I have left? I was trying to finish it in one sitting, but I was forced to go to bed by my rents.

Very near the endgame, less than an hour.

Absolutely fabulous game, definitely my front runner for GotY so far. Stephen Mercant as wheatley was a god damn genius casting choice, one of the funniest games I have ever played.

stephen+merchant.jpg

DevelopmentArrested said:
Oggie oggie oggie
lol. hi-five.

“What’s the weather like up there?”
“Oh I’ve heard that before.”
“They must have put you in a grow bag when you were little did they?”
“That’s an old one.”
“Let’s grow ourselves a big lanky goggle-eyed freak of a son.”
“Alright calm down mate, there’s no need to get offensive.”
“No no, I was joining in-”
“I didn’t call you fatty as soon as I saw you.”
“No I was joining in with-”
“Just don’t have a go at the eyes, cos that is a stigmatism I’ve had from the age of five, so that’s what make them a bit bulbous, so don’t just...I didn’t call you the whale-man or like blubber-man.”
“Yeah but I don’t go round calling myself the mongboy.”
“Well I don’t either, I call myself the Oggmonster.”
“I’m not gonna call you the Oggmonster.”
“Well that’s my name-”
“No it’s not, what’s your real name?”
“Nathan.”
“It’s a good name.”
“Is it?”
“Yes. I’ll call you Nathan.”
“I didn’t call you fatty, so-”
“What is, what’s the matter with him?”

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, just started and this game looks and sounds amazing. The intro sequence was nuts. It runs perfectly, too.

pretty pretty good

Sanic

Just finished it. Too tired to post up detailed thoughts, but thinking back through everything that happened and taking the ending into consideration, this is a totally off the wall game. Just so weird in many respects.

And don't jump on me, but considering the above, the story almost sort of felt like some 16 year old's fan fiction sequel to Portal. It just felt really goofy to me...but in a good way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is the Steam code that comes with the PS3 version only redeemable by the Steam account I've linked my PSN one to or can I give it to a PS3-less friend for him to play with his Steam account on his PC?

BTW, just played some PS3-PC co-op with a friend living at the other side of the Earth. Works flawlessly. Felt like playing locally :D

hamchan said:
Are there voice acting awards? Stephen Merchant should win one.
JK Simmons, as well. Does a perfect job as Cave Johnson. Immediately recognized his voice.

I'm trying not to be overly effusive, but Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons were pitch perfect. Portal 2 has some of the best voice work I've heard in a game. And the scriptwriters deserve major kudos for the banter. Funny, without relying on hack or cliche.

I'm awestruck at how much I enjoyed the dialogue. I tend to ignore it more often than not in games.

And Nolan North...smh. lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TTP said:
Is the Steam code that comes with the PS3 version only redeemable by the Steam account I've linked my PSN one to or can I give it to a PS3-less friend for him to play with his Steam account on his PC?

BTW, just played some PS3-PC co-op with a friend living at the other side of the Earth. Works flawlessly. Felt like playing locally :D

As long as you don't use it you can give it to somebody else, but they will have to tie their PSN id to a Steam account in order to use it.

The key is probably formatted in a particular way that it only activates on Steam accounts that are tied with a PSN id.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it. Bravo, Valve. Bravo. They have proven yet again that they're just plain better than other companies at making games.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Nah, she's still as passive-aggressive and bitchy as ever... just with more "You're such a horrible person, you killed me, yada yada yada"

Some serious sexual tension there.

Haha, that is true. I guess just a few bits of dialogue get me, some of it is funny though. Didn't mean to sound like a downer!

GloveSlap

I need some people to play co-op with before my rental period is up. Add me if you are looking also. My gamertag is the same as my gaf name.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The amazing thing about Weatley is that the Valve employee in the earlier videos sounded almost as good.

JaseC

JackEtc said:
Just finished it, it was an incredible experience. The
moon thing
was ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome, and it makes sense (well, as much as it possibly can) when you consider what the white gel is derived from.

Alright, I'm finally stumped at the end of the second co-op area,
I stop the fan and the other person shoots themselves across, but what do I do then? How do I get myself across? The other person stopped the fan and I shot myself across to look around, but I can't figure out how to get both characters across at the same time.

jj350

Banned
Wow, I just noticed the fact that I have finally been approved! It's about time, I think I sent my request over 6 months ago. Basically, I wanted to see if I am the only one that is disappointed with this game. Maybe it has something to do with the gameplay of the original, and maybe it has something to do with games like Killzone 3 and Metro 2033. All I know is that the game isn't living up to my expectations. It isn't bad, it just isn't what I was expecting.

I think it's about time for Valve to retire the Source engine, everything about it just feels outdated these days. I have gotten back into some original xbox games lately, and the overall graphics and gameplay is remarkably similar. Just about everything Source feels like early/mid 2000's gaming to me.

jj350 said:
Wow, I just noticed the fact that I have finally been approved! It's about time, I think I sent my request over 6 months ago. Basically, I wanted to see if I am the only one that is disappointed with this game. Maybe it has something to do with the gameplay of the original, and maybe it has something to do with games like Killzone 3 and Metro 2033. All I know is that the game isn't living up to my expectations. It isn't bad, it just isn't what I was expecting.

I think it's about time for Valve to retire the Source engine, everything about it just feels outdated these days. I have gotten back into some original xbox games lately, and the overall graphics and gameplay is remarkably similar. Just about everything Source feels like early/mid 2000's gaming to me.

If this is your first post on the forums... it's not a good start.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I made it up to chapter 3 but I decided to pull myself away from it so I can savor it.

Wow. You guys weren't lying, this game is amazing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jj350 said:

Show us some pics so we can compare.

JaseC

jj350 said:

Clearly!

The Source Engine of 2011 is very different on a technical level to the Source Engine of 2004. The dynamic shadows and HDR lighting in Portal 2 is quite the jump from that seen in L4D2, even. Source 2 won't happen - at least in the foreseeable future - as the entire point behind Source all those years ago was to create something modular and easily upgradeable so that Valve wouldn't have to spend years developing another engine.

Perhaps if Source received a DX11 renderer path with a few such bells and whistles all the calls for a new engine would cease or at least lessen in frequency, however that isn't going to happen until - at the very least - Valve have the data to suggest that the majority of their active userbase has a card supporting the API.

I can understand the desire for Valve to whip together an amazing top-tier engine, and I imagine part or all of that is due to their commanding position and respect within the video game industry and in particular the PC gaming community, but the simple fact is Valve doesn't operate like that and as such it's an unrealistic expectation.

JackEtc

JaseC said:
Ridiculously awesome, and it makes sense (well, as much as it possibly can) when you consider what the white gel is derived from.

Mhm, I loved it. If I wasn't talking to people on Skype, I'd be playing it through again with developer commentary.

Red

jj350 said:

There's a lot here I don't think I'm understanding. What does Metro or KZ3 have to do with Portal in the slightest?

Slavik81

jj350 said:
HL2 was in 2004 and the engine is radically different now from what it was then. I hardly see how it could harken back to early/mid 2000's.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Why? Because he's not calling it the game of the generation? Smh

No because it doesn't sound like his claims are legitimate. Really the Source engine doesn't look good? I know it's not the best engine but it does get the job done and the animation and effects on display in Portal 2 are some of the best around.

He also brings up KZ3 and Metro 2033 as reasons he's not into Portal 2, which is fine, perhaps he enjoys more traditional FPS than a puzzle one. No reason to hate on Portal 2 because it's not his cup of genre.

Red

Slavik81 said:
HL2 was in 2004 and the engine is radically different now from what it was then. I hardly see how it could harken back to early/mid 2000's.
Textures are a bit poor in places and load times are a bit too frequent, outside of that I can safely say it remains one of my favorite engines. Valve does magic with it.

Lighting especially has been improved since its inception.

UltimaPooh said:
He also brings up KZ3 and Metro 2033 as reasons he's not into Portal 2, which is fine, perhaps he enjoys more traditional FPS than a puzzle one. No reason to hate on Portal 2 because it's not his cup of genre.
He's got some weird issues with it but certainly you can't take his post as "hating."

Medalion

Banned
The sense of logic is that GlaDos should've just killed Chell when she had her in that clamp arm while she had the chance...but she was like... oh well we both love testing and keep moving stuff out of the way to make things not too hard for you...

I mean, you tried to kill each other before. But if things were that logical we'd have no game but just 1 long ass boss battle

Medalion said:
The sense of logic is that GlaDos should've just killed Chell when she had her in that clamp arm while she had the chance...but she was like... oh well we both love testing and keep moving stuff out of the way to make things not too hard for you...

I mean, you tried to kill each other before. But if things were that logical we'd have no game but just 1 long ass boss battle

Spoilers here.

and you find out later on why she doesn't kill you instantly.

Crunched said:
He's got some weird issues with it but certainly you can't take his post as "hating."

Fill in whatever word you wish with hating. Dislike is fine.

Red

UltimaPooh said:
Fill in whatever word you wish with hating. Dislike is fine.
He said disappointed specifically. You seem a bit defensive about it. I'm with you on the game being all quality, but it's not like he can't voice his (pretty strange!) complaints.

JaseC

Lionel Mandrake said:
Just beat it. Loved every second of it. And now... The eternal wait for Ep. 3 continues. But it's not so bad anymore.

I disagree. It's even worse now as, aside from DotA 2, there's nothing else due to exit through the doors of Valve. Prior to this week, the thoughts of Episode Three over the past year or so were always quelled with, "Well, at least I'll be playing Portal 2 soon."

Now, the horizon is empty. I feel like this teddy bear waiting for a train that appears to be nowhere in sight.

hxWJW.jpg

Anduron

Just finished it. Was pretty good but I definitely prefer Portal 1. P2 felt pretty aimless at times. The dialogue was also more hit or miss than the first. If they had cut a couple of hours I think it would have been a better game.

It felt a bit like what Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock.

Red

Francinium said:
Just finished it. Was pretty good but I definitely prefer Portal 1. P2 felt pretty aimless at times. The dialogue was also more hit or miss than the first. If they had cut a couple of hours I think it would have been a better game.

It felt a bit like what Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock.
I couldn't disagree more. 2 hours off a 6 hour game? Noooooo way. It's already packed and lean as can be.

Also: what parts were aimless? I don't remember ever not having a goal.

Top Bottom