• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Zzoram

I'm pretty sure they can just make Episode 3 a full game, and put in Counterstrike 2 as the multiplayer component. No need to bundle more than that in a box.

I really only have one complaint, and that's the large amount of static props. I'm used to throwing chairs and stuff around at this point, so that kind of bothered me. Other than that, perfect.

Ferrio

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
I really only have one complaint, and that's the large amount of static props. I'm used to throwing chairs and stuff around at this point, so that kind of bothered me. Other than that, perfect.

Probably to avoid people using them to solve puzzles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
InfiniteNine said:
Anyone else having trouble getting on Steam on the PS3 version?

PSN is down at the moment, and I imagine Steamworks likely uses it as an additional authentication layer.

IMACOMPUTA

Is there any way to download portal 2 on pc with the ps3 voucher without linking accounts? Stupid ass PSN isn't working, and i NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Magnus

Lovin it so far; start of chapter 4, basically.

Not feeling the love for Stephen Merchant though. His voice is painful to listen to. I don't understand the universal praise for it. It's the most annoying type of British accent. Different strokes, whatever.

IMACOMPUTA said:
Is there any way to download portal 2 on pc with the ps3 voucher without linking accounts? Stupid ass PSN isn't working, and i NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME.

You could start on your PS3 then pick up on the PC when you're able to download it, I believe.

Nevermind. Can't.

The beginning's worth playing twice, though.

jj350

Banned
JaseC said:
Clearly!

The Source Engine of 2011 is very different on a technical level to the Source Engine of 2004. The dynamic shadows and HDR lighting in Portal 2 is quite the jump from that seen in L4D2, even. Source 2 won't happen - at least in the foreseeable future - as the entire point behind Source all those years ago was to create something modular and easily upgradeable so that Valve wouldn't have to spend years developing another engine.

Perhaps if Source received a DX11 renderer path with a few such bells and whistles all the calls for a new engine would cease or at least lessen in frequency, however that isn't going to happen until - at the very least - Valve have the data to suggest that the majority of their active userbase has a card supporting the API.

I can understand the desire for Valve to whip together an amazing top-tier engine, and I imagine part or all of that is due to their commanding position and respect within the video game industry and in particular the PC gaming community, but the simple fact is Valve doesn't operate like that and as such it's an unrealistic expectation.

I think you're on to something. Allowing DX10 or 11 would heavily improve the Source engine. Take STALKER (Pripyat) for example, it offers the ability to switch between DX 9 and 10, and the difference is dead obvious. I don't see why Valve couldn't offer the same in their latest Source engine games. Basically, although the lighting and effects are quite good, there's no denying the fact that the modeling, animations, and detail in general leave a lot to be desired in this day and age.

Crunched said:
There's a lot here I don't think I'm understanding. What does Metro or KZ3 have to do with Portal in the slightest?

They're both FPS videogames, and they're both arguably the best looking for their platforms (PC and PS3). Seeing as how Portal 2 is still a FPS, it is only fair and wise to compare it to current videogames of the same exact genre. I have been playing both for a while now, and there is no denying that everything about these games when it comes to the graphics and presentation is clearly a generation ahead of Portal 2.

Red

jj350 said:
I think you're on to something. Allowing DX10 or 11 would heavily improve the Source engine. Take STALKER (Pripyat) for example, it offers the ability to switch between DX 9 and 10, and the difference is dead obvious. I don't see why Valve couldn't offer the same in their latest Source engine games. Basically, although the lighting and effects are quite good, there's no denying the fact that the modeling, animations, and detail in general leave a lot to be desired in this day and age.

They're both FPS videogames, and they're both arguably the best looking for their platforms (PC and PS3). Seeing as how Portal 2 is still a FPS, it is only fair and wise to compare it to current videogames of the same exact genre. I have been playing both for a while now, and there is no denying that everything about these games when it comes to the graphics and presentation is clearly a generation ahead of Portal 2.
Completely disagree about modeling, animation, and detail being poor. Baffled that that's even a complaint. And I'd argue against Portal being an FPS. It's first person, but the only thing you ever shoot is a portal gun. No bullets. It's a first person puzzler. Very different.

Animation poor? Really? How do you figure? I can't think of a more consistently well animated game.

Forkball

Man, I'm tired of psyching myself out. Half of the time when I'm having trouble with a puzzle, it's because I don't realize the solution is easier than I'm making it. Examples (I'm up to Chapter 8):

In one of the very first rooms with the aerial faith pad and garbage, I had no idea how to get the cube on the button. I thought you had to carry the cube, and then release it mid jump, so the momentum would throw the cube at the button, but it never worked. Then I realized there was a panel right above the button and all you had to do was drop it in.

Also in the third or fourth Wheatley chamber, you have to cross a gap, get the cube, and then go back across the gap. I had no idea how to get the cube back. I kept trying to launch it over with the pad and some quick portaling, but nothing worked. Then I realized you just had to ride with the cube and just jump out of the swirly light tunnel when you're above it.

I think I will have the record for slowest finish time for Portal 2.

Sgt.Pepper said:
So we really can expect challenge maps, both for single and co-op, right?

I think so. What was the last game Valve just didn't update? Also since they already have a store for aesthetic stuff, they obviously want it to be big, so they have to support it. Hopefully they upload a lot, because co-op can only be so fun once you beat the level.

Red

Forkball said:
Man, I'm tired of psyching myself out. Half of the time when I'm having trouble with a puzzle, it's because I don't realize the solution is easier than I'm making it. Examples (I'm up to Chapter 8):

In one of the very first rooms with the aerial faith pad and garbage, I had no idea how to get the cube on the button. I thought you had to carry the cube, and then release it mid jump, so the momentum would throw the cube at the button, but it never worked. Then I realized there was a panel right above the button and all you had to do was drop it in.

Also in the third or fourth Wheatley chamber, you have to cross a gap, get the cube, and then go back across the gap. I had no idea how to get the cube back. I kept trying to launch it over with the pad and some quick portaling, but nothing worked. Then I realized you just had to ride with the cube and just jump out of the swirly light tunnel when you're above it.

I think I will have the record for slowest finish time for Portal 2.
In Portal 1 I tripped myself up a few times forgetting that I could actually portal, and based on that I always kept the little things in mind for Portal 2.

The easiest solutions are often the ones that work.

Ridli

Just dipped my toe into the co-op, damn you valve, you're awesome. Arguably the finest physics-based first-person cooperative puzzle comedy available today.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just in the middle of Chapter 6. Video games can be so cool.

I can't believe I have another whole co-op campaign waiting for me on the other side of this.

ARGG, why the hell don't they allow saving during commentary runs?! I just came across a bug and got myself stuck, the only option was to exit out. No autosave, no nothing, now I have to go through the same 15 minute section just to catch up. Not cool.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jj350 said:

As I said in my post, Valve won't offer a DX11 renderer path until they have the data to suggest the majority of their customers can make use of it. There's no chance of DX10 as DX11 does everything far better and even has a few unique tricks up its sleeve (tessellation being the most obvious example). I can't see what you'd have against the modeling in the game, and to say the animation "leaves a lot to be desired" is simply wrong. As Crunched said, it's hard to pick a more consistently well-animated game, and the reason why virtually everyone gushes over the animation in particular should be obvious. As far as detail is concerned, I assume you mean texture detail (which, again, is much improved over previous Source titles), as every other aspect of detail in the game is damn-near untouchable.

Source has and always will be a middle-ground engine when it comes to the technical components, with the artistic direction elevating the visuals of the games from 'good' to 'great'.

Cipherr said:
Going to try and save the end of the SP campaign for this weekend. Soooo good.

I finished yesterday - loved almost everything about the game.
Remember you have a full co-op story to look forward to still though.

This will almost certainly be my GOTY though, seeing as it's one of the best single player experiences I've had since HL Episode 2. Savour every moment.

Also Stephen Merchant should do more voice over work.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Zombie James said:
ARGG, why the hell don't they allow saving during commentary runs?! I just came across a bug and got myself stuck, the only option was to exit out. No autosave, no nothing, now I have to go through the same 15 minute section just to catch up. Not cool.

I don't understand that decision. I completely missed the last node because
it was right before the moon portal, and the only way to activate the commentary was hitting it at the exact moment before Wheatley almost kills you
. If I wanted to get it, I had to do the last chapter all over again. I'll just do it when I get there again on my current run.

EDIT: Forgot this wasn't the spoiler thread. Spoiler tags in appropriate spots now.

Yeef

Zombie James said:
For future reference typing 'kill' in the console (in any Source game) makes you suicide. If you ever get stuck you can just do that.

When i was plying through co-op my partner actually got stuck in the geometry (in the ceiling) and had to do that. It was actually kind of amusing because I was [allegedly] trying to kill him by removing his funnel, but when i did he just stayed up there!

Sibylus

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Yeah, I'm surprised about the hate for those chapters. Chapters 6 and 7 were probably my favorite parts of the game.
Yeah, they're definitely up there for me. Just a fantastic intersection of great atmosphere and gameplay. If there's one part of the game that'll stay fresh the longest, I think it'll be those chapters in particular.

Ozone

I finished both co-op and single player today.

I love how at the end of the co-op story
you find all the human test subjects and just do a dance, only to blow up again. Having the humans being scanned for the credits was also a really nice touch.

derFeef

Botolf said:
Yeah, they're definitely up there for me. Just a fantastic intersection of great atmosphere and gameplay. If there's one part of the game that'll stay fresh the longest, I think it'll be those chapters in particular.
The atmosphere is great and I love the environments there. But the puzzling and how to navigate these areas is just not as good as it could be I think. Don't get me wrong, this is complaining on a high level.

jonhuz

Love the IQ of the PS3 version but I'm getting really bad audio crackling in the game. Anyone else getting this? No fancy amp, just TV speakers. Just this game too.

jj350

Banned
Crunched said:
Completely disagree about modeling, animation, and detail being poor. Baffled that that's even a complaint. And I'd argue against Portal being an FPS. It's first person, but the only thing you ever shoot is a portal gun. No bullets. It's a first person puzzler. Very different.

Animation poor? Really? How do you figure? I can't think of a more consistently well animated game.
Come on now, saying that Portal isn't a FPS is like saying Mirrors Edge wasn't a FPS. I mean sure, you aren't running around shooting people, but still, you can't honestly tell me that it is a completely different genre. You might as well tell me how Dawn of War 2 doesn't count as a RTS since you're not constructing and maintaining a base. Make all the excuses you want, the game is what it is. You can't make a sub-genre for every single game you see breaking the norm.

JaseC said:
As I said in my post, Valve won't offer a DX11 renderer path until they have the data to suggest the majority of their customers can make use of it. There's no chance of DX10 as DX11 does everything far better and even has a few unique tricks up its sleeve (tessellation being the most obvious example). I can't see what you'd have against the modeling in the game, and to say the animation "leaves a lot to be desired" is simply wrong. As Crunched said, it's hard to pick a more consistently well-animated game, and the reason why virtually everyone gushes over the animation in particular should be obvious. As far as detail is concerned, I assume you mean texture detail (which, again, is much improved over previous Source titles), as every other aspect of detail in the game is damn-near untouchable.

Source has and always will be a middle-ground engine when it comes to the technical components, with the artistic direction elevating the visuals of the games from 'good' to 'great'.

I wasn't talking about the characters and art direction, being a Valve developed video game that doesn't disappoint. What I am talking about is the environment. Compared to good looking PS3 games for example, it is pretty disappointing. I am only being honest here, as like I said, I am comparing the game to recent games of a same or similar genre. When I play Portal 2, I feel like I am playing a very souped up last-gen video game, which disappoints me, since by now, I am expecting a modern or next-gen experience. A few years ago, this might have been acceptable. However, in 2011, I expect more.

jonhuz said:
Love the IQ of the PS3 version but I'm getting really bad audio crackling in the game. Anyone else getting this? No fancy amp, just TV speakers. Just this game too.

Lower the master volume. I was getting crackling on my headphones/Mixamp combo and eventually turned the volume down to about 30-40%.

jj350 said:
Come on now, saying that Portal isn't a FPS is like saying Mirrors Edge wasn't a FPS. I mean sure, you aren't running around shooting people, but still, you can't honestly tell me that it is a completely different genre. You might as well tell me how Dawn of War 2 doesn't count as a RTS since you're not constructing and maintaining a base. Make all the excuses you want, the game is what it is. You can't make a sub-genre for every single game you see breaking the norm.

Arguing that Portal 2 is an FPS is like trying to argue that Valkyria Chronicles is a third person shooter because you move around and choose your targets via a third person perspective with guns involved.

Don't know if it's because my CPU fan is dying but I'm getting framedrops when there is too much "fluid" on screen. Am I the only one ?

Covfan

Magnus said:
Lovin it so far; start of chapter 4, basically.

Not feeling the love for Stephen Merchant though. His voice is painful to listen to. I don't understand the universal praise for it. It's the most annoying type of British accent. Different strokes, whatever.
You've just upset the fine people of Avon and Somerset there. ;)

sonicmj1

jj350 said:
It's not a first person shooter, because there is no shooting. The closest thing you perform to direct violence is throwing a turret around. It's a puzzle game. That's not a new genre.

Similarly, Mirror's Edge is a platformer, like Mario Galaxy. It just happens to be in first person.

Genres aren't based on camera perspective. They're based on gameplay. Portal plays nothing like any first-person shooter, because it is not a first-person shooter. It has more in common with a game like Exit or Machinarium than it does with Call of Duty.

The game is what it is.

derFeef

LordPhoque said:
Don't want if it's because my CPU fan is dying but I'm getting framedrops when there is too much "fluid" on screen. Am I the only one ?
Got that too, but only with the white gel - turning off Multicore rendering solved that.

rdrr gnr

Ran into a pretty big bug in the final room. Besides that inconvenience. Best game I've played in the last two years.

Sequels are hard to pull off. Sequels to a cult classic are almost impossible to pull off. Fun was had. Minds were blown. Science was done.

AwShucks

sonicmj1 said:
It's not a first person shooter, because there is no shooting.

So you aren't shooting portals? I mean, I agree it's not really an "FPS" it's more like a first-person puzzle, but you're argument there is not really true.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AwShucks said:
So you aren't shooting portals? I mean, I agree it's not really an "FPS" it's more like a first-person puzzle, but you're argument there is not really true.

Dear God.

I...

No, I have nothing.

sonicmj1

AwShucks said:

By the same token, Amnesia has shooting, because your lantern shoots rays of light at the walls.

Hylian7

I just tried Co-op for the first time with a friend (after I finished single player). LOVE IT! I cannot wait to finish this! I'm even more excited about the SDK releasing so we can see more crazy co-op maps.

vazel

Banned
This game is a joy to play through not just for the puzzles but also with how well the witty VA keeps you engaged. It will go down as one of the best VA in videogames.

Smash88

Banned
I just got to the part where
Wheatley (sp?) takes over from Glados and turns her into a potato
, and so far the game is really similar to Portal 1, save for a couple of new puzzle objects, such as the light-hard walkway. The puzzles are dead easy (so far), and it just feels repetitive. I don't know why so many people are claiming GOTY or whatever, but it is far from it, unless this next half completely blows it out of the water, but I doubt it.

I guess once the initial new gameplay experience from Portal 1 wears off, Portal 2 feels extremely repetitive. The only thing it has going for it is the environments, and the voice actors, pure brilliance. Otherwise for $50, I'm really disappointed in the quality of this game, thus far.

I beat co-op tonight as well, and it is definitely better, since having two people and 4 portals at once adds a unique gameplay style, which was definitely fun especially when screaming over the mic at a friend. Very fun, and the best part is co-op is a completely new game on its own, which is great.

I don't know what to think honestly, I feel as if I'm at a crossroad, but hopefully to my optimism the latter half improves.

Top Bottom