• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The end of Chapter 5 -- I had a giant grin on my face the whole time. When the elevator stopped ohmygod

Okay. So I just had a GREAT moment. Just had to stop the game to post about it.

Spoilers for chapter 2:
So I'm in the test chamber in which GLaDOS tells you the field that prevents test subjects carrying objects from chamber to chamber was disabled and asked me not to bring any stuff, I'd thought I would see if I could do it. And I did. After I walked through the broken field, an achievement popped up, and I pumped my fist in the air and yelled, "Yes!" I had no idea that achievement was there. Best. Achievement. Moment. Ever.

Rez said:
The end of Chapter 5 -- I had a giant grin on my face the whole time.
When the elevator stopped ohmygod
Spoilers, dude. Now I will be expecting it. :(

Monocle

Just beat the single player campaign. Best first person game I've played in a long, long time (I threw in that "first person" qualifier because I didn't want to denigrate Super Meat Boy and Bayonetta). Valve exceeded my expectations and managed to capture lightning in a bottle twice by creating a worthy sequel to Portal. Impressive. My highest compliments to all involved.

Monocle said:
Just beat the single player campaign. Best first person game I've played in a long, long time. Valve exceeded my expectations and managed to capture lighting in a bottle twice by producing a worthy sequel to Portal. Impressive.

I just beat it as well but I'm confused about something. I had heard earlier that there were
Ten
chapters but I didn't get that many, only
Nine?

Also, I never encountered the
vents that suck up everything
that I saw in some preview vids. That a co-op thing?

Sai-kun

Banned
Snapshot King said:
I just beat it as well but I'm confused about something. I had heard earlier that there were
Ten
Nine?

They don't exist.

Monocle

Snapshot King said:
Ten
Nine?
I didn't know how many chapters to expect. I'm happy with the length of the game as it is, and I've yet to dive into co-op mode.

Yeah, their absence sort of threw me for a loop. I was a little sad not to encounter them myself, but hey, more material for the potentially upcoming challenge rooms! (No, I don't have any inside info on Valve's plans.)

traveler

Not Wario
The (endgame mechanics spoilers)
inverted wind tunnels or whatever they are effectively do what the vents would have done.

The (chapter number spoiler)
10th chapter is the credits.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
distrbnce said:
Hey Gaf, I dunno if this has been brought up before, I'm trying not to read anything until I play the game, but...

A friend and I just went to Kmart to try to do the $120 = $60 Game Coupon deal.

Well, I can't say it's false advertising, but it's definitely frustrating, and you guys should know before you go in; Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat only came out to $119.98, and we weren't given the coupon.

I dunno if adding the PSN card would've helped (as in, if it counts as gaming software), we couldn't try until she rang it up (and charged) again.

So, how did that Toys R Us deal pan out? I still need to buy my copies.

The $20 cards do count as software, as per CAG. Ironically though, if you get just one card and both Portal and MK, it'll take two instances of $10 off the card and make it free, so you'd be under the $120 threshold again. It's supposed to be that you can get two cards each $10 off if you get both games, but I guess some coder screwed up.

As for me, I got Portal 2, but had no interest in MK, so I got LBP GotY and Soul Calibur IV and 2 $20 PSN (1 for $10) cards and got both coupons. They actually had a massive pile of some sort of big box High School Musical game for $5 if you were desperate for a smaller filler.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Game was alright, i still enjoyed the first one more. The puzzle design for this game frustrated me sometimes and is what really turned me off compared to the first one.

More times than one the game was making you go forward due to events that were happening when the solution was behind you. Why would you force the player BACK during an exciting event when you're trying to move him along to the end? The extras such as the gels and tunnels made the puzzles a bit more interesting but also more complicated when there are more things to work with. Portal was great cause it was simple with timed buttons, cubes to sit on buttons, moving platforms, turrets to thwack, and of course portals. The fluff didn't add much except for a "Oh that's cool" which ended up turning into a "Well what the fuck am i supposed to do with this stuff now?" Environments were cool, the final boss was pretty cool. But glados in the potato and the portal on the moon...they tried to get too cute with what portal 1 had and for me went a little too far. Plus the end song was terrible compared to Still Alive.
<-For anyone who cares what i think :S

Orellio said:
To be fair. Consider how many elevators you've already been on in the game. You don't know which one he's talking about!
yeah I guess that's true haha.

Spoilers for chapter 3:
OH MY GOD, WHEATLEY! I see you! No! GLaDOS, don't lower the ceiling! No! Fuck! Ugh.

traveler said:
The (endgame mechanics spoilers)
inverted wind tunnels or whatever they are effectively do what the vents would have done.

The (chapter number spoiler)
10th chapter is the credits.

Really? Where can you see the chapter numbers?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
Okay. So I just had a GREAT moment. Just had to stop the game to post about it.

Spoilers for chapter 2:
So I'm in the test chamber in which GLaDOS tells you the field that prevents test subjects carrying objects from chamber to chamber was disabled and asked me not to bring any stuff, I'd thought I would see if I could do it. And I did. After I walked through the broken field, an achievement popped up, and I pumped my fist in the air and yelled, "Yes!" I had no idea that achievement was there. Best. Achievement. Moment. Ever.

Spoilers, dude. Now I will be expecting it. :(
Sorry, I assumed that was a pretty generic reference. :(

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
wow that limey mother fucker is ruining the game JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME SOLVE THE PUZZLES. Give me a god damn flashlight valve, not an overapologetic chatty cathy whose voice makes my goddamn skin crawl.

Snapshot King said:
Really? Where can you see the chapter numbers?
They tell you every time they introduce a new Chapter. Plus there's a Chapter Select once you beat the game.

bistromathics said:
wow that limey mother fucker is ruining the game JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME SOLVE THE PUZZLES. Give me a god damn flashlight valve, not an overapologetic chatty cathy whose voice makes my goddamn skin crawl.
You have no soul.

Rez said:
Sorry, I assumed that was a pretty generic reference. :(
Nah, dude. That was my fault. Don't feel sorry about that. Oreillo is right: it was generic. Again, don't feel sorry, it was my bad.

So, um...yeah. Expressing myself again:
He's alive! Yes!

bistromathics said:

Just... I don't even... why?

bistromathics said:
Wheatley is the fucking man, man.

Dax01 said:
Nah, dude. That was my fault. Don't feel sorry about that. Oreillo is right: it was generic. Again, don't feel sorry, it was my bad.

So, um...yeah. Expressing myself again:
He's alive! Yes!

Haha. This is amusing.

Dax01 said:
Wheatley is the fucking man, man.

I love it.

bistromathics said:

This warrants an ignore list member!

traveler

Not Wario
bistromathics said:

The characters are half the fun in this game, weird as it is for me to say that. If having a character talk to you during the puzzles is going to bug you, you might as well sit the game down now and save your sanity. I really do feel sorry for those who can't enjoy Wheatly, Glados or any other potential personalities that show up.

Monocle

Square Triangle said:
This warrants an ignore list member!
Seriously, right? This is why we can't have some of us don't deserve to have the nice things Valve made for us.

traveler said:
The characters are half the fun in this game, weird as it is for me to say that. If having a character talk to you during the puzzles is going to bug you, you might as well sit the game down now and save your sanity. I really do feel sorry for those who can't enjoy Wheatly, Glados or any other potential personalities that show up.
Oh yeah? Well maybe you're WRONG.

In other news, Mozart has too many notes, Raskolnikov is too sulky to identify with, and Macbeth is kind of a meanie.

zombieshavebrains said:
Game was alright, i still enjoyed the first one more. The puzzle design for this game frustrated me sometimes and is what really turned me off compared to the first one.

More times than one the game was making you go forward due to events that were happening when the solution was behind you. Why would you force the player BACK during an exciting event when you're trying to move him along to the end? The extras such as the gels and tunnels made the puzzles a bit more interesting but also more complicated when there are more things to work with. Portal was great cause it was simple with timed buttons, cubes to sit on buttons, moving platforms, turrets to thwack, and of course portals. The fluff didn't add much except for a "Oh that's cool" which ended up turning into a "Well what the fuck am i supposed to do with this stuff now?" Environments were cool, the final boss was pretty cool. But glados in the potato and the portal on the moon...they tried to get too cute with what portal 1 had and for me went a little too far. Plus the end song was terrible compared to Still Alive.
<-For anyone who cares what i think :S

Sooo... basically you marked it down because it was too 'complicated' and you had to turn around occasionally to solve a few puzzles. This game was always going to be more complex than Portal 1. In my opinion it is a much better game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
bistromathics said:
What happens to a person to make them this bitter? Every time Wheatley talks I smile.

GLADoS: Oh no, this is the part where he kills us.

WHEATLEY: Okay, this is the part where I kill you.

CHAPTER 9: THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU

Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You: This is that part.

is one of my favourite gaming moments ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bistromathics said:

Wow... I feel a bit sorry for you that you can't enjoy the atmosphere of Portal 2 and seem to be playing it in rage mode.

Maybe you should just stick to the trial rooms in Portal 1?

Ad Infinitum said:
GLADoS: Oh no, this is the part where he kills us.

WHEATLEY: Okay, this is the part where I kill you.

CHAPTER 9: THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU

Achievement Unlocked: The Part Where He Kills You: This is that part.

is one of my favourite gaming moments ever.

Couldn't agree more.

traveler

Not Wario
Ad's spoiler is endgame, albeit quite vague if you are unfamiliar with it. All you highlight happy readers who haven't played the game through should probably avoid it.

Monocle said:
Oh yeah? Well maybe you're WRONG.

In other news, Mozart has too many notes, Raskolnikov is too sulky to identify with, and Macbeth is kind of a meanie.

Wha..? I'm guessing you misread what I wrote?

Symphonic

bistromathics said:

You need a hug.

Zefah said:
Wow... I feel a bit sorry for you that you can't enjoy the atmosphere of Portal 2 and seem to be playing it in rage mode.

Maybe you should just stick to the trial rooms in Portal 1?
Yeah, if someone finds Wheatly annoying, obviously Portal was never his or her cup of tea.

Requeim

Stabby McSter said:
Yeah, if someone finds Wheatly annoying, obviously Portal was never his or her cup of tea.

What the fuck does that even mean? It's not like he was there in the first game, constantly talking to you.

Chinner

Banned
Just completed this game. Utterly brilliant and every aspect of it was well executed. What especially impressed me was the sound design and the quality of the voice acting.

All in all, HAIL VALVE.

traveler

Not Wario
Requeim said:
What the fuck does that even mean? It's not like he was there in the first game, constantly talking to you.

The presence of a NPC delivering a relatively constant stream of quips was in Portal 1, however. It was even one of its most praised elements.

Chinner said:
Just completed this game. Utterly brilliant and every aspect of it was well executed. What especially impressed me was the sound design and the quality of the voice acting.

All in all, HAIL VALVE.
Play co-op. The puzzles are even better and trickier than the single-player.

Requeim

traveler said:
The presence of a NPC delivering a relatively constant stream of quips was in Portal 1, however. It was even one of its most praised elements.

Indeed, and it was awesome in Portal. I didn't care much for that guy either though, would rather just have had glados only, but then the story would have to be completely different obviously.

traveler

Not Wario
Requeim said:
Indeed, and it was awesome in Portal. I didn't care much for that guy either though, would rather just have had glados only, but then the story would have to be completely different obviously.

To each his own. I found Wheatley more entertaining than any other character in the game (ENDGAME SPOILER)
with the possible exception of the corrupt cores, brief as their appearance was.
I also didn't enjoy Glados' presence in Portal 1 nearly as much as everyone else did. I consider 2 a huge step up in writing and characters.

Requeim

traveler said:
I consider 2 a huge step up in writing and characters.

And i think they took it too far, so there. My point was that not enjoying a particular character doesn't exempt you from enjoying the game or even the franchise (not directed at you, but the guy i quoted)

Rez said:
The end of Chapter 5 -- I had a giant grin on my face the whole time. When the elevator stopped ohmygod

No way you'll believe this (I wouldn't have) but HOLY SHIT IT GETS SO MUCH BETTER.

I'm only on 6 (I think?) and Portal 2 has put all other videogames on ULTIMATE BLAST.

Sai-kun

Banned
traveler said:
To each his own. I found Wheatley more entertaining than any other character in the game (ENDGAME SPOILER)
with the possible exception of the corrupt cores, brief as their appearance was.
I also didn't enjoy Glados' presence in Portal 1 nearly as much as everyone else did. I consider 2 a huge step up in writing and characters.

Serious dialogue spoilers:

"How are you? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO.

is the greatest line of dialogue of all times ever.

The dialogue for GLaDOS is getting way too...campy? cliche? weak? Not sure. Overall though, love the puzzles, the art direction, and the fucking co-op!

Wheatley is awesome.

Top Bottom