• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Sibylus

Banned
MNC said:
What may be difficult for some might be easy for others; as is almost always the case with games. I can't wait for custom content and the new SDK!
I'm tempted to dabble with a map or two, but science knows I've got too many WIP maps already :[

If it *did* happen though, it'd probably involve a lot of pneumatic diversity vents and gel.

I started this game on ps3 and was like " hey this looks good, controls nice as well" played on my iMac and said "oh ok I get it now"

Its a better experience on the PC, it was a duuuhh moment for me. Love the game so far

Domcorleone said:
I started this game on ps3 and was like " hey this looks good, controls nice as well" played on my iMac and said "oh ok I get it now"

Its a better experience on the PC, it was a duuuhh moment for me. Love the game so far

I've played it on PS3 and PC. How is it better on PC? They seem pretty much identical to me in every way.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ArachosiA 78 said:
I've played it on PS3 and PC. How is it better on PC? They seem pretty much identical to me in every way.

Controlmethods
Scalability
Visuals

Botolf said:
I'm tempted to dabble with a map or two, but science knows I've got too many WIP maps already :[

If it *did* happen though, it'd probably involve a lot of pneumatic diversity vents and gel.
Well, I am hoping we still get those vents. Loved these things. Think I will try to create my first maps too. Can't come soon enough for me.

Barrett2

This game makes you feel like a genius.

Oh my god this puzzle is impossible, this is an elaborate troll!!!

*20 seconds later*

Hey, I did it!

KAOz

Short bus special
Just finished it.

Great VA, and amazing humor. Some stuff made me laugh out loud. Story was, eh, it worked. Nothing truly special there.
I have to say though, I got a little disappointed with how repetetive the game got. I enjoyed the first Portal, and this one aswell, but it's more suited to a shorter game really. Towards the end I couldn't help but feel that I wanted the tests to be done, because honestly, they started dragging with the repetetive nature of them.

I can see why some people are cumming all over it, but honestly, it just didn't do THAT much for me.

So, conclusion is that it was enjoyable. But, that's about it really.

Fjordson

Four chapters in. Love it. The writing and voice acting in particular are truly top notch. GLaDoS really likes to get her digs in.

Though I really hate myself right now. Accidentally clicked the spoilers thread, and for some reason my eyes zeroed in on a big one. This is what I get for browsing GAF when I'm half asleep.

i accidentally clicked on the spoiler thread too.. it looks so similar, same length thread title and all.

i managed to back out before seeing any spoilers though. but sucks for you :(

thcsquad

Started it last night, I got to...chapter 4?
Right after 'deploying surprise in...' and the 'this test was designed by a nobel prize winner. i don't know for what, but it certainly wasn't for being immune to neurotoxins'

I love Stephen Merchant in this, and of course GladOS. The puzzles are fairly easy so far...given the responses in this thread, I'm worrying that it won't get harder and would love some advanced ninja reflex puzzles as DLC.

Also, I'm really glad i haven't read the spoiler thread yet. Not getting spoiled is probably the #1 reason I got the game release day.

Divius

dk_ said:
Apparently Portal 2 doesn't like ALT + Tab, because it crashes shortly after I continue playing.
Surprisingly Portal 2 is the only Valve game for me that allows alt-tabbing. There is a fix for it tho, but I'm sot sure what it is. Something with playing in a window without borders but fullscreen. Someone here will know.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dk_ said:
Apparently Portal 2 doesn't like ALT + Tab, because it crashes shortly after I continue playing.
No source game does by default. If you want smooth alt tab, add this.

"-novid -window -noborder"

You don't need novid, but I find the Valve Logo a bit annoying after enough times.

dk_

Drkirby said:

You don't need novid, but I find the Valve Logo a bit annoying after enough times.
Thanks. Works great! ;-)

Drkirby said:

there's a setting in Portal for that, you don't have to add a startup command.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Corky said:
Controlmethods
Scalability
Visuals
The PC version is obviously better, but the difference is pretty much image quality and framerate. PS3 version runs at a solid 30 and features great 720p image quality. PC version is obviously above this, but the PS3 version is very respectable. I was playing with a buddy on my PS3 while he was using his PC and the PS3 version was actually loading faster than his PC (though my PC loads twice as fast as PS3). :p

Unfortunately, Source engine games tend to exhibit slightly jerky mouse movement on my system. Not sure why, but it looks bad. The framerate is a solid 60 fps and it looks perfect when I use a 360 pad, but looking around with the mouse is much less smooth. I doubt most would notice it, but it definitely bothers me. :\

dark10x

My biggest complaint is the loading issues. I feel if this was any other game Gaf would be all over its nuts and deem it inexcusable. Not sure why Valve isn't getting some serious flak for this. Loading screens are numerous, lengthy, and plenty take you right out of the experience. Some sections of the game are literally 10 seconds of you just following a straight path laid out before you "chase scene", and then it cuts off any suspense that can build up with a loading screen right in the middle of it to load up the next section.
People always seem to give Valve a free pass on this. Loading remains the single biggest issue with every Valve game to date. This is one of the worst in that regard.

When HL2 was first released, it was a mess. Constant loading screens each lasting a good 20-40 seconds on machines at the time with lots of stu-stu-stuttering throughout. Portal 2 is much smoother than HL2 in 2004, but I really feel that they need to figure out some way to stream level data. This kind of thing really pulls you out of the game.

At the very least it would have been great if they used elevators as loading points and kept everything moving. Even if you got stuck in an elevator for 10 seconds it would have still kept the immersion in tact.

So I want to try and use some console commands, but I have a problem. Everything I type something, my console window immediately closes. When I turn it on again, I see the last letter I typed. This is always the case, EXCEPT when I type e or i (maybe other vowels, haven't tested yet), then I can type whatever I want until I close the console and must do it again. It is very annoying.

Anyway, I maybe want to take some pretty pictures and go through the developers commentary faster by no clipping, but still have some questions about certain commands.

- How can I increase the player speed? That would be neat. I already saw an option, don't know the exact command but default is 300f, however, changing it doesn't have any use even with sv_cheats on.

- Is there a way to pause the game?

- Can I noclip around the levels and leave Chell in the same place? So a separate camera?

I hope someone can help me.

Do the loading screens bother people that much? I don't really mind them really, and I don't find them particularly worse than other games, although I'm mostly a console gamer.

While I haven't finished the game, I have found it incredible. I love how much more story they have given it, and
after Wheatley becomes corrupt, I love the 1940s scenery in the mine shaft, and Cave Johnson

With that said, I haven't found the puzzles that difficult, which is okay for now as long as they release test chambers and stuff. I also can't wait to play the co-op campaign.

Corky said:
Controlmethods
Scalability
Visuals

this basically, although I do enjoy typically using a controller, I think this game works best for me with a mouse and keyboard. on the PC its 60 fps right? If felt smoother on my pc.

dark10x said:
The PC version is obviously better, but the difference is pretty much image quality and framerate. PS3 version runs at a solid 30 and features great 720p image quality. PC version is obviously above this, but the PS3 version is very respectable. I was playing with a buddy on my PS3 while he was using his PC and the PS3 version was actually loading faster than his PC (though my PC loads twice as fast as PS3). :p

Unfortunately, Source engine games tend to exhibit slightly jerky mouse movement on my system. Not sure why, but it looks bad. The framerate is a solid 60 fps and it looks perfect when I use a 360 pad, but looking around with the mouse is much less smooth. I doubt most would notice it, but it definitely bothers me. :\

hey i noticed that as well, do your or anyone on this thread know if I can connect my 360 controller pc dongle to my imac and get it working?

Gandie

dark10x said:

Do you have Vsync turned on?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
derFeef said:
I think all source games since L4D have "Window (noborder)" now. Setting is a bliss!
I really wish Windows could just do that on its own without needing a special setting in-game, with any game or program.

So it took me about an hour and 15 minutes last night to get half way through chapter 3 (my guess anyway). Do these puzzles get harder or what? It really doesnt help that there is nothing else to do besides solve them.

TheExodu5

Banned
And here's a review from a friend who pirated the game. He pirates a lot of stuff, but I did everything to convince him to buy this game...no dice.

Mike's Spoiler Free, honest* P0rtal 2 Review

The Good:

Classic Portal gameplay you're used to
A few new gameplay additions and puzzles that take advantage of them
Funny / Dry dialogue (not yours, everyone else's)
"Perfect" length of game**
The Bad:

Nothing feels "new" enough, this game is basically Portal 1.5
Dialogue is also just more of the same**
Does not stand up to the hype
Single Player replayability looks non-existent
(nitpicky) Too many loading screens/elevators. Areas are pretty small. (that's probably the source engine's fault)
The Verdict:

Happy I spent $0 so far. Would spend $10 on multiplayer version with single player thrown in free.
* 100% Organic, locally grown and hype free. Not blinded by having spent my own money on this or getting paid by Valve advertising.

** Given the bad points, this game is basically taking the 2-3 hour Portal and making it longer, but not that much more interesting. I've already had enough of the game and I'm probably only halfway done.

*** Jason said "This is the bestest written game evar! OMG Ponies!" - and I would have to disagree. So far, the dialoge is basically cut & paste from the first. Your character motivation is cut & paste. The other characters are also basically cut & paste. That Ricky Gervais clone's humour wears off fast enough. I don't know who this Stephen Merchant guy is, but so far he's no different than the characters I've seen Ricky Gervais do. Maybe they wrote it for Gervais but he was unavailable / too expensive.

I don't even know how to respond to him about this...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TheExecutive said:
So it took me about an hour and 15 minutes last night to get half way through chapter 3 (my guess anyway). Do these puzzles get harder or what? It really doesnt help that there is nothing else to do besides solve them.
They get a lot more complex in the second half of the game. As to the second complaint, this is a puzzle game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TheExodu5 said:
And here's a review from a friend who pirated the game. He pirates a lot of stuff, but I did everything to convince him to buy this game...no dice.

The *** thing is hilarious. hahahahaha

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe "idiot" and never talk with him about this game again? :D

LProtag

Should I try it out on my Mac, even though I have the PS3 version? Portal 1 already kinda lags a bit at times and stutters. PS3 is probably better off for me, right? I heard there's not as many 'twitchy' puzzles, so the controls should be fine.

ultron87

InsertNameHere said:
Should I try it out on my Mac, even though I have the PS3 version? Portal 1 already kinda lags a bit at times and stutters. PS3 is probably better off for me, right? I heard there's not as many 'twitchy' puzzles, so the controls should be fine.

If Portal 1 doesn't run well on your Mac then PS3 is your best bet. I have had no problems with the controls except for one instance where I had to have some real quick reflexes. But I was doing that puzzle wrong.

If you ever end up having to do something super "twitchy" there's probably a simpler solution that you are missing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
InsertNameHere said:
If Portal 1 stutters than PS3 would probably be our best bet. Not a single issue with framerate and it looks really sharp. Controls work great, although I am playing with max sensitivity.

I am about halfway done with chapter 6 and Still love this game to death!

my complaint though is the damn loading screens every 5 minutes, I am wondering if an install on the ps3 version would have helped with this at all?

oh well

dark10x

JetBlackPanda said:
I am about halfway done with chapter 6 and Still love this game to death!

my complaint though is the damn loading screens every 5 minutes, I am wondering if an install on the ps3 version would have helped with this at all?

oh well
It's the same on PC. Constant loading screens. On my PC they move faster than the PS3 version, but only by about 4 seconds or so. They are annoying on both platforms.

FLEABttn

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

It's standard piracy talk.

"Well, I'm not, like, opposed to paying for games, you know? They just have to meet my game standards."

These standards being dynamic, unrealistic, and having no ultimate influence on whether or not the game is purchased (as it never is).

davonaytor said:
Did anyone else's Portal 2 just update? 150mb.

PS3 as well?

MrPliskin

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

The only proper way to respond is continue punching the idiot in his stomach / face repeatedly until his miserable existence ends. Not trying to be rude, but your friend sounds like a complete tool.

Top Bottom